• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A new home skin for Smashboards

D

Deleted member

I made one blog like ages ago.
why is that so huge and green and in the middle? it clashes with everything.
(please jsut remove it)

aslo if you want people to fix revo, I would love to. but right now there isn't really a revo to fix though

EDIT:

this should speak for itself

other stuff

PLEASE remove the featured box on profile pages and usergroups, it has NO reason being there.
the same goes for the the backroom sidebar in usergroups. it is NOT relevant there. the blog buttons and such are also debatable (why would I want a link to writing a blog there of all places?)

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski

I made one blog like ages ago.
why is that so huge and green and in the middle? it clashes with everything.
(please jsut remove it)

also if you want people to fix revo, I would love to. but right now there isn't really a revo to fix though
Imo it should be a user option (you decide whether you want that to show up on your wall or not).
Just a suggestion though. I thought of that but it's not really a problem to me.

Edit:Oh yeah, having white text on a blue BG (Welcome, ____________. Private Messages:xxxx) is hard to see for some people. I personally don't have a problem with it but I know some semi-colorblind people that would.

:038:

NNID
Budget_Player
Revolution will not come back as a premium only skin. It will either be for all or nothing.

It does however need to be tweaked before relaunching. At the end of the day the new skin does a lot to further the community (featuring topics, major tournaments, live stream, backrooms, etc) and provides a lot of added functionality. Revolution does not need to do all this. But i do want it to do at least some of it and be cleaned up prior to relaunching it.

I had a user whom is a capable web programmer/designer pm me wishing to take a crack at updating it. Told him to go head. Will keep up with him on the progress and it seems as if we have enough interest to bring it back. At the same time i would like eventually get the community on a standard skin. Its too tough to update several all completely different skins. We do not have paid developers or anything like that. The new skin is getting us in the right direction. Seems like Bionic and MMM are going to take constructive feedback to continue to improve upon it and eventually I feel confident this skin will be that, get there.
Just FYI: for those of us currently missing Revo: old broken revo >>> no revo at all.

Also, I would really appreciate it if you responded to the PM I sent you regarding the location of the "Stage Discussion" forum, as it really is fairly important to me.

D

Deleted member

The Brawl Back Room is an admission-only room where reputable players, tournament organizers, and theorists discuss different aspects of the game. The goal of the BBR is to help grow the competitive community and produce useful, insightful content. Applications are accepted every 6 months and anyone with notable contributions to the community can get in.
(that's the text in the the BBR sidebar btw)

newbies are NOT going to read all that and vets obviously won't either. also why is the matchup list missing in MBR section?

EDIT:

seriously, you have tried to squeeze too much features into this skin and thus looks cluttered and messy (that and the buttons/colours is really all that is bad about it)

Magus420

Smash Master
Why not keep Revolution as it was 15 hours ago in as an option right now, and if/when an updated version is made add that as the new 'Revolution' and have the old one as "Revolution Classic'? Nothing is removed. Only new options for people to choose from.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
The latest match up lists aren't run or set up by the MBR, and, if i recall correctly, somewhat incomplete. The BBR matchup list was created by the BBR and the coordination between the boards was done by them, i think.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I'm going to only try to comment on things that haven't been yet, sorry if i missed stuff, although i read a fair bit of this thread. I know you already have had plenty of feedback on the size/color of the banner, and I'm already using TPK's fix for the button size/glow/etc, so that's not my problem.

A few things that I can't fix using my browser I would like to address, though.

1) I'm not sure how the per-post button contents were decided, but there seems to be some inconsistencies. There is a Quote button and an edit button with text and an icon, a multiquote button with just an icon, and a report button with just text. These should probably all be the same. If an icon can be found for each that is very intuitive to at least more than 1/2 the people likely to use the site (and have alt text for the rest), then icons could be used to give the site some style and make the buttons a constant size (the inconsistent size looks off). If it's not possible to come up with icons for all of them, just make them all text so that anyone can figure it out, but you aren't breaking the consistency by randomly adding in icons that don't help. It would probably be best to do the same for the Post reply button as well.

2) There seems to be some space between posts that isn't used for anything. I can't see a good use for this. Post separation is already made clear by the extensive bordering, wasting that extra space between posts doesn't add anything, it just removes usable space.

3) This one is just personal preference. I kinda liked seeing my avatar in revolution at the top near my login information/message status.

4) I can't tell what's really up with this, but when this picture was taken, no user styling was enabled and ad-block plus was disabled, so, idfk. Call this a bug report or something: http://i52.tinypic.com/4rarsw.png Fixed by: http://www.smashboards.com/index.php?styleid=78

I get the feeling I'm missing something I meant to contribute or two. If i remember them, I'll post again.

D

Deleted member

ah, thanks for clarifying that for me jungle. how about the Melee ruleset? (I mean SSB64 has that even)

scotu, regarding point 2, due to the heavy use of rounded edges, removing the spacing would look bad. I would opt for removing the round edges as well as the spacing but that's just me.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
a 1 pixel gap is probably fine, although I haven't actually tested. Just seems kinda gross that there's a whole line large enough for a line of text to be between each post that isn't used, when it's easy to fix and doesn't add anything.

edit: also, thanks for the button resizing style. Works in FF4, btw.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Thanks, Bionic, that fixed it. I don't really use that page ever, but at least it's not a real issue. Thanks.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Just FYI: for those of us currently missing Revo: old broken revo >>> no revo at all.
This.

Don't even try to patch it up. We want our ****ty, broken skin back, just the way it was!

If you want to make a "Classic Revolution" AND "Modern Revolution", fine by me. I just want the exact same skin that we had before.

D

Deleted member

I'll just keep posting pictures

erm that "redundant" should be next to quick reply

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
You break Revo by fixing it, is that so hard to understand? :p

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski
I'd like to have Revolution fixed but I still want the old one back in the meantime =/

stelzig

Smash Lord
I don't really understand the need for this change, but I can live with that.

But please make the header smaller (or make a completely new one, I kinda dislike this one :p), and get rid of this:

Tournaments is often among the first things i'll check, but I don't need it to be on the top of the page, announcements can be thrown up there when they actually happen like before, no need to make all the old announcements clutter up the front page, and feautured topics? Meh.
My mind also just instantly goes tl;dr when I see it so I will probably ignore the messages up there more often and scroll down immediately when they're constantly there.

Obviously above wouldn't be as annoying if the header got smaller, but i'd still prefer it gone! :p

Edit: Wrong picture, ooops. I approve of bigger livestreams being listed on top though, but this and announcements still only needs to appear every once in a while (when they actually happen), and therefore we don't need this constant box on the top of the page.

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
"Well, our game is Halo, so I think we need to make all the reply buttons be Assault Rifles. And they should go RAT-TAT-TAT whenever you click on it."
Now requesting that deleted posts explode like Bomb-ombs.:awesome:

On a more serious note, the glowing letters is an example of something I learned very early on in graphic design: Don't use visual effects on things that are supposed to be simple. That weird neon glow is for a dance club that the owners want you to walk into. Having an entire street of neon lights that all look the same just turns you away from all of them. In other words, you should really scrap the glow filter. It does nothing for the text that's just supposed to act as a link from one area of the site to another, and it's just tacky-looking IMO. Some simple, sharp text is all you need.

As for the actual banner: That white space in-between the logo and the three buttons is just sitting there. Don't make the entire banner stretch across the page if it means doing that. You can also make it shorter by shrinking the Smash Ball and taking the "Boards, Info, Connect" text and placing it vertically next to the corresponding buttons. Just as the pics flash when you hover your cursor over them, let the words do the same.

That panel that gives major tournaments/announcements/featured topics? Scrap it. Well, most of it. Tournament info can still work on the page, but why announcements and featured topics? Announcements are the first forum you can see scrolling down the front page (in those exotic glowing letters that blend with everything else, unfortunately), and if the user needs a quick link to them, use something like the notices that popped up when the new Global Rules were announced. I've never seen the point of featured topics. I agree with taking that sidebar with the backrooms off.

Lastly, I'm not exactly sure where the philosophy that Smash is about color came from. Sounds forced to me.

A lot of this sounds like "let me tell you what to do" but I feel this tone is probably best for the feedback. This is still my own opinion and not necessarily a demand. Although I should say I did like the previous skin better. I'm curious as to what was "broken" about it.

:metaknight:

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
Why not keep Revolution as it was 15 hours ago in as an option right now, and if/when an updated version is made add that as the new 'Revolution' and have the old one as "Revolution Classic'? Nothing is removed. Only new options for people to choose from.
please listen to this man

<3 old smashboards

milesg2g

Smash Champion
This is pretty sick, I like everything about it including the big buttons lol. There's a easy way to solve this by simply adding the old revolution back as a selectable skin. lol

Keep it how it is plzzzz lol

Sariku

Smash Master
They won't change the default. Everyone just asks that we an have the option to use Revolution.

I also want the option to use the Rebecca Black skin too. ^_^ That is my personal favorite.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
Lololol, I like everything about this current one please don't channnnnnge :(

I'm sure there were some flaws that could've been said about the old default lol.

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
my 2 cents. keep the site icon simple and not the smash ball rainbow.

but Vibrant? lawls
The icons a very big colorful bubbled and distracting Berserker Swordsman said it perfectly
i like to live by "keep it simple stupid"
and why not keep revolution style available i mean is it that hard to just keep it as an option? and yah keep the Friday skin too : P

i really like the new organization and the backroom section. because of this overall great improvement

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't like this new skin. :( I'm sticking with smash blue

global-wolf

Smash Champion
My first thought when seeing this skin was wowowowwow so pretty. I used Smash Blue because Revolution loaded slow for me. Thank you for making it :D

I don't like the top part of the site though. It takes up a lot of space and it's annoying to scroll. The banner should be thinner and a different color. The blue strip should also be another color, it doesn't go with the rest of the site at all. I love the new features though :3

It'd be really nice if the major tournaments/site announcements/featured topics box was moved to the bottom of the page or be collapsable.

The buttons and "!" unread post thingies are also really large, I hope they get smaller.

stelzig

Smash Lord
Christ how small are you people's monitors? lololol
Granted i'm on almost always on a laptop and therefore might not have the biggest screen, I think 17" widescreen should be good enough... And I think alot of people use laptops most of the time so small monitor-size should certainly be taken into account. The clutter at the top of the page is definetly too big in general though.

Ryuker

Smash Lord
Dunno if this has been posted yet. But this new skin completely ****s up in chrome :(. The whole container div gets resized.

I agree that the glowing edges are unnecessary. They actually make the text harder to read for me when skimming.

The site feels more like brawl then melee now though to me. The buttons of the posts really stand out. It's like they are begging me to quote a text or report it.

The new features are nice though. I'll let this skin sink in for a few days.

What's with the rounded edges obession these days? :p

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski
Lololol, I like everything about this current one please don't channnnnnge :(

I'm sure there were some flaws that could've been said about the old default lol.
Yea there were flaws but that doesn't warrant getting rid of it, does it?

I'm fine with Vibrant being default though.

shanus

Smash Hero
Dunno if this has been posted yet. But this new skin completely ****s up in chrome :(. The whole container div gets resized.

I agree that the glowing edges are unnecessary. They actually make the text harder to read for me when skimming.

The new features are nice though. I'll let this skin sink in for a few days.
Chrome works fine for me

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
please listen to this man

<3 old smashboards
Agreeing to what he quoted.

Never once did I ever personally come across a broken button with the revolution skin. Hit the switch, put it back up already, don't touch it again. If it means we have less features, so be it. I really don't need any of the other features, I just want a skin that doesn't hurt my eyes with all of the random bright buttons.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Think it would have been better if things got implemented one at a time rather than this sudden jump. That way there could be user feedback rather than this debacle we have.

Top Bottom