• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A new home skin for Smashboards

shanus

Smash Hero
Skin isn't bad by any means, it's a huge leap. I run all of my designs by several people in my own circle and others, and obviously JV and other SWF admins made the decision to give me permission to do this based on the mockups that I submitted when I offered to do this.

Obviously I'm biased :p but I could give pure gold and platinum away for free and people would still have a largely negative response :p People who complain are always the most vocal, it's the same with any product. This was a huge project / undertaking for Bionic and myself, so I appreciate the positive feedback we are getting (we are getting a lot outside of this thread as well). Any time you make a big change like this, some people are going to lash out. It's inevitable.

You are of course entitled to your opinion though, that's why there are other skins still available. You can't please everyone. There are still other options, and I plan to make color variations of Vibrant down the road as well.

Removing Revo is a decision that I do agree with, honestly. It had many bad elements and many things about it were broken. I had nothing to do with it though, so please take that up with JV.
Could you comment a bit on image scale, palette, and the like? I think this skin has a lot of promise, but to me, the rainbow palette is jarring, and the images are disproportionate and detract from the overall feel of the forum. To me its a lot of small nuances which could really be fine tuned relatively quickly. Additionally, the header barof major tournaments,etc really needs an option to remain hidden.

Also, +1 Quick Reply.

just6586

Smash Rookie
I really only have two main complaints:

1. Buttons and banners are a' too big. I don't mind that things are colorful, but they should be shrunk.

2. Take the stage sub-forum out of "Brawl in-depth". Really, you could have just named it "other ****" and that would've been just as honest. I get why 1-player and online modes are there, but stages are integral to Smash Brothers. Put them in something more important or give them their own forum.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
And I would actually like that to be less Brawl-centric. I personally don't think it represents the community as a whole, just part of it.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Everyone hates change.

The old skin was ****ty and needed an update. The new one is kinda funny with the huge buttons and uh wonderful colors.

Get over it.
Theres nothing to get over. I am glad your OK with it and all, but your simple minded conclusion does not speak for the rest of the community. They could have at least kept the old skin as an option. Getting rid of it completely was kind of a silly idea.

I will only talk on my behalf since I am only one person. I do not mind change, in fact, if theres a way to improve anything I encourage it. However, I can't let this one slide. I can point out each thing that is poorly done if I am asked to. I am not trying to be mean by any means, and this is my form of criticism.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Could you comment a bit on image scale, palette, and the like? I think this skin has a lot of promise, but to me, the rainbow palette is jarring, and the images are disproportionate and detract from the overall feel of the forum. To me its a lot of small nuances which could really be fine tuned relatively quickly. Additionally, the header barof major tournaments,etc really needs an option to remain hidden.
Thanks for presenting your thoughts reasonably.

The featured box (tournaments, announcements, live streams) was considered for being collapsible, but it's something that should really be promoted. Especially Live Streams and Major Tournaments. I can bring it up again, but I think that was one of the big staples that was wanted for the overhaul.

"Rainbow" palette was kind of a goal, mostly because Smash is very vibrant and varied as a game. Additionally all of the other themes are "PRIMARY COLOR / SECONDARY COLOR ONLY" to the point where everything blurs together. It's a lot nicer to have a varied scheme that goes with everything.

I think if this weren't a Smash site, I might agree that the color is a bit overboard, but Smash is all about color, so it fits very well imo.

Of course, as I said I plan to do some alternates in the future, so a de-saturated version can definitely be put on the to-do list.

And lastly yes, everything can be tweaked if need be, just depends on what it is and when Bionic and I have time to work on it. We're already compiling ideas based on the comments, of course :)

I really only have two main complaints:

1. Buttons and banners are a' too big. I don't mind that things are colorful, but they should be shrunk.
Forum post buttons will be resized down a bit within the next few days, most likely :)

lordhelmet

Smash Master
Lol wow you guys sure are upset.

Yes there are a few issues and I bet most of them will get worked out.

This update is 100x better than the old skin. You guys only liked it because you're so used to it. I remember back when I played Melee I stayed away from this site because of how non-user friendly it was, and I KNOW that's the case for a lot of people who would otherwise use this site.

shanus

Smash Hero
I also edited my post to say I also support addition of Quick Reply. I can see the value add of the top navigation box, but I'm just worried about screen real estate. To me, the top navigation box could have tremendous value if it had stuff I was interested in all the time.

For example, what if it had your bookmarked threads up there? I would love to have a quick access toolbar always present for all my threads of interest. To me, that would be value add. But if its just going to list a ton of tournaments (99% are irrelevant and non-local), and other threads, I don't think it adds much value to myself and should be collapsable.

I really do like this idea of "bookmarked" threads though, it would make me want to use that top bar instead of collapse it.

MetalMusicMan

Well technically we could make the Featured Box appear only on the index page (like the side-bar), or minimized. Again that's up to JV, etc. to decide how much we want to promote that content. It's technically possible though yes.

Speaking of, I'm not sure why so many people have such a big problem with the side-bar-- it's not present once you get passed the thread list / Info / Connect pages :\

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Lol wow you guys sure are upset.

Yes there are a few issues and I bet most of them will get worked out.

This update is 100x better than the old skin. You guys only liked it because you're so used to it. I remember back when I played Melee I stayed away from this site because of how non-user friendly it was, and I KNOW that's the case for a lot of people who would otherwise use this site.
You're either lying or heavily exaggerating. If "back when you played Melee" was before 2008, Revolution was perfectly fine and not broken back then. It was eventually cut apart by forced removal of various key components of the skin.

BunBun

Smash Master
Why is it difficult to just put the old skin as selectable, and let us few idiots that want to use it, use it.

This site now slows down my computer.

Also, blah blah blah about the colors being awkwardly mixed, the banner on the top being freakin huge and bright, and the boxes taking up tons of room.

D

Deleted member

Forum post buttons will be resized down a bit within the next few days, most likely
come on it took me 5 seconds the whip out the CSS for this.

PLEASE just add this until you have decided on a final fix so it won't be an issue anymore:

img[src*="vibrant/buttons"]{
max-height: 30px !important;
}

img[src*="vibrant/statusicon"]{
max-height: 40px !important;
}

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Simply saying "this skin sucks" and you "want Revolution back" gives us no feedback at all. On the other hand, Overswarm's post pointing out why specifically was very well-thought out and we're likely to make changes based on it.

We're definitely fixing the buttons (though this was already decided before) and some of the icons for one.

shanus

Smash Hero
Well technically we could make the Featured Box appear only on the index page (like the side-bar), or minimized. Again that's up to JV, etc. to decide how much we want to promote that content. It's technically possible though yes.

Speaking of, I'm not sure why so many people have such a big problem with the side-bar-- it's not present once you get passed the thread list / Info / Connect pages :\
I think promotion is a good thing, but removing or collapsing would indeed be useful on non-indexes. For example, I'm on my work laptop right now. When I pressed quote to reply to you, I actually cannot even see the black box to type my message into without scrolling down. This tells you there is a lot of fluff getting in the way of what I'm trying to do. Now if during this message, i had some navigation bar which had some form of updates like "New Response posted in X thread of interest", I could see it adding value, but during a text reply, I don't need to know about a tournament listing or site announcement.

I hope I'm being clear?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Ankoku I know plenty of people who feel exactly like what LordHelmet mentioned.
Is this when Revolution was complete or when Revolution was hacked up? 'Cause as far as "user-friendliness" goes, it was pretty straightforward for a forum, and as far as how it looked, it was pretty nice when things weren't obviously just taken out of the layout.

BunBun

Smash Master
Don't get me wrong, I totally appreciate all the time and effort put into this skin, but it's kind of like there is just too much going on.

"I would like to have Revolution as an option."

iRJi

Smash Champion
Simply saying "this skin sucks" and you "want Revolution back" gives us no feedback at all. On the other hand, Overswarm's post pointing out why specifically was very well-thought out and we're likely to make changes based on it.

We're definitely fixing the buttons (though this was already decided before) and some of the icons for one.
Heh. I have a question for you. Will you be on here tonight? I will personally list almost everything I want to comment about on this given that you will be around to read it. Granted, it might a decently long read, but I want to make sure you will read it and I am not wasting my time lol. If so, just say so. I will do it tonight after I get out of class.

Beat!

Smash Master
Simply saying "this skin sucks" and you "want Revolution back" gives us no feedback at all.
I want Revolution back.

Not a single one of the reasons so far for removing it has even been worth mentioning.

And this is feedback.

BunBun

Smash Master
If these comments don't count as feedback, should a petition be started?

JV mentioned that if enough people want it as selectable, then it would be selectable. How much is "enough"? Is that just like, an empty gesture?

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
JV wants to know how many people want Revolution back.

MMM and Bionic want input on how to make this skin better.

KageMurphy

Smash Master
Simply saying you "want Revolution back" gives us no feedback at all.
Again like I said, we are open to feedback, we want to hear what you guys think. If enough people want revolution as an option just post and say "I would like to have revolution as an option". Thats all.
Admins should be on the same page.

Ninja'd but yeah, let our voices be heard!

Also, funny enough this skin is growing on me, I'd switch back and forth between this and Rev once the buttons get fixed, maybe.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit

Maybe. We still gotta talk it over. Reason being Revolution was cut and not smash blue and co was that revolution had some broken links, cut out graphics (things we removed, but it was not so pretty after doing so), etc.

Again like I said, we are open to feedback, we want to hear what you guys think. If enough people want revolution as an option just post and say "I would like to have revolution as an option". Thats all.

Then in a day or something here we will see what the community would like to see and make a decision from there. In the meantime consider this a day to expand your smashboard skin horizons ;) (And no I am not counting the day of Friday World Forums, even though "it should be like that every Friday" was the coolest comment ive heard all day).

Everyone else like to see you happy with it. If you notice any bugs, issues, have feedback, like i said keep it coming.

Alright 1:18, hella tired from my day and coming home from MLG Dallas. Night all
I would like to have revolution as an option.

T.J.

Smash Apprentice
Why are the backroom things advertised on the side? doesn't seem helpfull at all. King of annoying imo.

A hide option for that would be cool... and for the extremely bright banner burning my eyes too D:

Though the livestream thing sounds pretty convenient

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
didn't see that :x

I'll see if I can talk to JV and see about re-enabling Revolution then, haha. I assumed it was dead when I last saw...?

D

Deleted member

ok, for some specific feedback:

and I didn't even mention the postbit in there which is like extra-dark grey.

that's seven shades all really close together. imo settle on 3 of them + white and it would be acceptable

NNID
Budget_Player
"I would like to have revolution as an option"

How many do you need? IMO it really shouldn't be that many... After all it costs you nothing and takes up way less bandwidth than the new theme, plus nobody who doesn't want to see it will.

Alternative suggestion: make it a "premium feature". Man, now that is incentive to become a premium member!

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
I would like to have revolution as an option.

This new skin is good, but I really enjoyed the revolution skin.

MetalMusicMan

I think promotion is a good thing, but removing or collapsing would indeed be useful on non-indexes. For example, I'm on my work laptop right now. When I pressed quote to reply to you, I actually cannot even see the black box to type my message into without scrolling down. This tells you there is a lot of fluff getting in the way of what I'm trying to do. Now if during this message, i had some navigation bar which had some form of updates like "New Response posted in X thread of interest", I could see it adding value, but during a text reply, I don't need to know about a tournament listing or site announcement.

I hope I'm being clear?
You're making sense, thank you. I like the bookmarks in place of featured threads idea too. Collapsible featured box like I said is doable, but not 100% my call and depends on how much that content is desired to be pushed, but it's a good point that I will definitely bring up.

I think most likely though that the benefit of emphasizing tournaments / live streams outweighs a quick scroll down, but as I said having that only on the landing pages might be sufficient for that purpose.

KageMurphy

Smash Master
Please don't even entertain the idea of making it only available to premium members, that's garbage, it needs to remain available for all like it was prior to this new skin.

Anyway, keep us updated plz.

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski

Why I liked Revolution better:

1. SEEING MY AVATAR. Most important reason. You can't see your avatar on any of the skins available, unless I'm mistaken.
2. Major Tournaments/Site Announcements/Featured Topics is really big and really annoying. I don't remember seeing that in Revolution (can't check
now, lol).
3. Top of the page. I hate hate hate hate HATE the top of the page now. It's like you moved all of the important things from the left side of the
screen to the right side. Also, it's WAAAAAAY too colorful for me. Revolution was basically just black. Now it's like every color in the rainbow.
4. Forum layout changes. The new symbols are really annoying to me when viewing a forum (exclamation points, locks, ect.), and the glowing orange text is distracting.

What I LIKE about this new skin is:

1. Side Backroom things. I like being able to access the Brawl tier list, rule set, and match-up chart easier.
2. Profiles. It looks a lot tidier and clean than before. Easier to see my VMs.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Oh and
ok, for some specific feedback:

and I didn't even mention the postbit in there which is like extra-dark grey.

that's seven shades all really close together. imo settle on 3 of them + white and it would be acceptable
This. I like it in VMs though.

:038:

Isatis

Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
^ Thank you! :bee:

Working on a solution for the top stuff now.

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
Revolution will not come back as a premium only skin. It will either be for all or nothing.

It does however need to be tweaked before relaunching. At the end of the day the new skin does a lot to further the community (featuring topics, major tournaments, live stream, backrooms, etc) and provides a lot of added functionality. Revolution does not need to do all this. But i do want it to do at least some of it and be cleaned up prior to relaunching it.

I had a user whom is a capable web programmer/designer pm me wishing to take a crack at updating it. Told him to go head. Will keep up with him on the progress and it seems as if we have enough interest to bring it back. At the same time i would like eventually get the community on a standard skin. Its too tough to update several all completely different skins. We do not have paid developers or anything like that. The new skin is getting us in the right direction. Seems like Bionic and MMM are going to take constructive feedback to continue to improve upon it and eventually I feel confident this skin will be that, get there.

Top Bottom