• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Guide to DI, Smash DI, C-stick DI, Teching and Crouch Cancelling --- Updated

Magus420

Smash Master
It also depends a lot on how well the character/recovery hugs the wall. While many characters can get by using just ASDI for quite some time, CF/Ganon need to SDI the hit to be able to tech at much lower percents than normal if they get hit out of the later part of the up-B when they flip and the up-B isn't used backwards, since the flip pushes them away from the wall.

B@sic Sausage

Smash Apprentice
Good sh** mang even tho backthen in my thread about Smash DI you kept refuting it, now you finally say its true eh?

lol Idon't care if me, Lord HDL, and Omni get no credit...your thread is neater and more informative anyways.
but remember d1 ur fat :)

Pi

Smash Hero
Correct me if I'm wrong, but BASICALLY you WANT your character to be on a path that brings you to a corner.
If it comes to that, assuming you have failed at the basic principal of winning smash, not getting hit.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
DI along line of trajectory

I'm not exactly sure on what doraki meant by di'ing along the trajectory.

So would I be shooting myself in the foot if i DI'ed up an up from mewtwo or would it just be equally bad as doing nothing?

Also, can I DI down shiek's d-throw to knock off the timing of a CG?

Sorry if its already been said somewhere.

Mokumo

Smash Ace
nono. you want to DI perpendicular to the trajectory, not along. so Mew2's upthrow you want to di to the side, same if you want to mix up the DI with sheik's downthrow. DIing along the trajectory does nothing, i think smash DI along the trajectory makes a difference though, but im not sure.

Chuz

Smash Cadet
This really helped me clarify alot of the things I was still not completely sure about. Thanks alot!

soma ghost

Smash Journeyman
Great post! The quarter circle DI-ing has helped me tons with returning from horizontal attacks at high percentages.

Rat

Smash Lord
Can you smash DI so that a move would hit you in a different direction? For example, how the knee can hit backwards. Could you smash DI so that instead of going forward you go backwards? When you are hit in opposite direction, are you connecting with different hitboxes for the same move?

remedys

Smash Cadet
when doing regular DI, do you hold the joystick in the perpendicular direction? or do you repeatedly smash it in the direction?

are you saying that EVERY time you want to tech, you should also DI into the ground?

thanks

St. Viers

Smash Champion
you hold the analog stick for regular DI. If you want to tech, you need to be on the ground, so smash DIing and Auto smash DI (the last "jolt" of DI from holding the c-stick in a direction right as hitstun ends) into the ground allows you to tech (after hitstun)

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Actually, you cannot smash DI down when you get hit while grounded. (I assume this was to prevent things like guranteed techs just by smash DIing up and then down again), so that would only apply to being hit in the air (though you would want to ASDI both <_<)

When trying to tech attacks while already grounded, you should be DIing perpendicular to the attack like normal (remember that there are TWO perpendiculars for any given angle. In this case, you want the one that is mostly DOWN, so you can be sent as low as possible). Of course you also want to ASDI straight down to give you the best chances of hitting the floor and thus being able to tech.

DI is cool.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
From this guide it seems that ASDI is garbage compared to solid SDI, except for when you want to tech?

Say you're getting hit by fox's dair, and you hold the c-stick down for ASDI, supposing the fox just stops after the dair, would you be buffering a down smash as well? What about ASDI'ing up and buffering an uair?

Regardless of my small confusion with ASDI, it's application that is, this is very beastly. Thanks

Typ

Smash Rookie
I'll borrow this thread..

Does playing in 60hz make it harder to hit a 20 frame time window than it is in 50hz mode? Or is it the same?

Delaro

Smash Cadet
Very good thread! usefull and amazingly suprising I didn't know we could do all these kind of DI

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Crouch Cancelling :

CCing is what happens when you're crouching while taking a hit.
It tremendously reduces the knockback of the move, reduces the hitlag, and the move is weakened so you must be at higher %age to tech it (or it makes the move completely untechable, like Fox's shine)

You have to be crouching to crouch cancel, if you're not crouching you're not crouch cancelling.

Usually you're DIing down with the control stick when you're CCing, which makes you ASDI down on the weakened move, thus makes you land right after the hitlag (or bounce on the ground if you're at high %age) :
CCing weakens the move and ASDI down makes you stay grounded.
More specifically, Crouch Canceling reduces knockback by 1/3rd and reduces hitlag by half. The Knockback threshold for tumble (as in, when you can tech) is 31 frames of hitstun (knockback value of ~77.5), therefore the move has to normally have 47 frames of hitstun to cause tumble against a crouching opponent.
Knockback and by association Hitstun is a function of knockback values on the hitbox, Fresh damage of the hitbox, victim's weight, and opponent's damage after the hit. For throws, every character's weight is 100 as far as knockback calculations go and therefore only Falling Speed Acceleration alters the effective knockback as far as victim specific attributes go.

[/nerd]

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Brownie points from who? I'm sharing knowledge of the game's mechanics.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Does DI actually work the same way as it does in Brawl aside from being more potent on some angles and no ASDI with C-Stick (and no ******** act out of hitstun)? Because if it does, I think I'm set.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
There's less hitlag in Melee than in Brawl so you have less time to input trajectory DI as well as Smash DI. Additionally, in Brawl you cannot trajectory DI a move whose knockback is below the Tumble threshold (31 frames of hitstun). This is why Falco's dthrow CG always works and you can't throw them off. Because it always sends the same outside of stale moves. LOLL ******** game.

VicViper

Smash Cadet
While not technically related to the topic of this thread, I'm curious about the technology behind the perfect execution videos.

I've seen such videos for MvC2 where they use programmable controllers to get their results, but what do Melee videos use? Does the Gamecube have programmable controllers?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It probably could if someone wanted to, but most perfect execution videos for Melee are done via Action Replay frame advance and a human controlling it. VirtualDub or Visual Dub (I forget which) can take a video and cut out places where it's the same and just leave 1 frame of it and then play it at 60 fps.
Other methods used recently are via Dolphin emulator and TAS, where you can run it frame by frame and rerecord. Much better for improvement, and easier overall.

Top Bottom