• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Guide to DI, Smash DI, C-stick DI, Teching and Crouch Cancelling --- Updated

SCOTU

Smash Hero
agree w/ cort. Tired of linking ppl to this thread. in fact, it should be stickied in every forum in SSBM.

TheGeneral

Smash Journeyman
This should most certainly be stickied, I'm tired of people asking questions on DI >_<
Meh, quit your complaining and get back to answering questions Cort!

P.S. What is DI and how do I do it?

P.P.S. Just kidding.

kook321

Smash Apprentice
Someone probably already ask this but i dont feel like searching for it. When edge teching do u push L during the hit lag or before, cause i hear both and i have been having trouble finding the answer. Oh and i think you mention this in the guide but i just want to be sure if you that you dont have to push L or R all the way day to tech?
btw great guide helped alot

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
Someone probably already ask this but i dont feel like searching for it. When edge teching do u push L during the hit lag or before, cause i hear both and i have been having trouble finding the answer. Oh and i think you mention this in the guide but i just want to be sure if you that you dont have to push L or R all the way day to tech?
If you actually bothered reading the guide, all your questions would be answered.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
It's on the first page dude.

First post in fact.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
edge teching is easy. i always could do that. just try it everytime you get spiked or down smashed by the ledge. as for DI, i'll practice it whenever i get thrown or hit in any direction.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
I've tried to edge tech, but I don'tknow how to consistently or without luck.
it's pretty simple. the moment you get spiked or down smashed by the ledge press L while you hold the control sitck in the direction of the stage (have it held before you tech to make things easier). its completely different when falco spikes you though. theres a slight delay that throws off this easy technique because falco spikes you when youre slightly above the edge, whereas falcon will typically spike you right when you make contact with the stage.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
I just have one question. So, you can DI, and then ASDI, so let's say you get hit straight horizonally, and you DI straight up, would it be better to ASDI up, or at an angle, like up to the right/left? Or down?

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
I just have one question. So, you can DI, and then ASDI, so let's say you get hit straight horizonally, and you DI straight up, would it be better to ASDI up, or at an angle, like up to the right/left? Or down?

Chronologically (as well as in effect) it's:

SDI>ASDI>DI

Depending on how you want to move, DI accordingly. You can double stick tech sometimes, but it's usually only useful if you have enough time to set it up, so during high lag moves (fsmashes that you know will be punished, rests, laggy recoveries). Here's a good video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei-iOIN32i4

Most of the time, though, your reactions will just barely be fast enough to ASDI, and since you want to get the most out of your normal DI, you shouldn't rely on ASDI unless you can do it consistently enough. Just DI up and towards the stage for surviving most moves.

Here's a good guide on what DI to use on what moves:

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=66030

Froggle

Smash Rookie
I can't believe how much effort has been put into compiling all the various techniques in the game in order to help us all out. It's really inspiring and it's so great to see so many people passionate about Smash! Unfortunately I just can't take in all this stuff...it's all too much! I think I'll be forever refraining from competitive smash...

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^Dude, just take it one step at a time. All you really to know right off the bat is that holding directly towards the stage is not the best idea. Instead, try holding up and towards the stage when you get hit (mostly up) so that you live longer. You can come back for the other stuff like double stick teching and SDI much later, as they're not as important. Baby steps.

Froggle

Smash Rookie
Yeah I guess, but everywhere I turn I see more and more things that turn me on my head lol. I'm like the definition of Noob going by most posts. Thinking Roy was better than Marth? Check. Thinking Mewtwo was one of the better characters? Check. Hawhaw! Oh well...

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Yeah I guess, but everywhere I turn I see more and more things that turn me on my head lol. I'm like the definition of Noob going by most posts. Thinking Roy was better than Marth? Check. Thinking Mewtwo was one of the better characters? Check. Hawhaw! Oh well...
Well, we didn't exactly discover these things overnight either. It took years for the competative scene to evolve (heck, it's still evolving now), but people new to the competative scene can use the information we've already gathered as a sort of spring board. You improve a lot faster if you have a better base supporting you.:)

Zialox

Smash Rookie
I have read this many time and I'm mainly concered with DIing with the c stick to survive off the ledge-

If I was hit to the LEFT of the course I would as soon as possible point the c-stick towards the course and the control stick perpendicular upwards to my trajectery? If that is correct then I beleive I understand it, and thank you so much for the help.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I have read this many time and I'm mainly concered with DIing with the c stick to survive off the ledge-

If I was hit to the LEFT of the course I would as soon as possible point the c-stick towards the course and the control stick perpendicular upwards to my trajectery? If that is correct then I beleive I understand it, and thank you so much for the help.
Yes, that's correct.

And this is one of the most informative threads on smashboards and it's not stickied?!

Zialox

Smash Rookie
Also, is di with c-stick in brawl? Ive herd some places that it is but im not sure...
and I am assuming that di with the c-stick is better, if it is not that im not gonna bother learning it...

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
C-stick DI just lets you ASDI in one direction while still being able to apply whatever normal DI you want. It's pretty helpfull, but not completely neccessary.

okiyama

Smash Ace
So using Smash DI after those few frames of hitlag will have affect at all? In other words for most moves SDI needs near frame perfection?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
So using Smash DI after those few frames of hitlag will have affect at all? In other words for most moves SDI needs near frame perfection?
SDI only works during the hit lag. For instance, when you get hit by Samus's charge shot there are 18 frames of hit lag before your character is actually sent flying anywhere. During any of the first 17 frames (the last frame is for ASDI and Normal DI only) you can tap the control stick in a direction to SDI in that direction. So no, trying to SDI after the hitlag has no effect. And you don't exactly need frame perfection to SDI most moves, because of the nice quarter circle DI mentioned on the first page. However, you do need to be anticipating the move to have any chance whatsoever of SDIing it, because reflex alone is not fast enough (unless you've trained yourself to be extremely reflexive by playing an extremely reflex taxing game like Guilty Gear.)

but will c-stick di help me stay alive longer than normal DI?
C-stick DI is exactly the same as ASDI. All the c-stick does is override the control stick input for ASDI, so you can have the control stick and c-stick pointed in different directions, and the game will use the C-stick for ASDI instead of the control stick. The normal DI, which is completely seperate from ASDI will still be read of the control stick.

So yes, it will help you live longer.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
How is it even possible that you can get instant ground techs by ccing a move and teching? I mean, don't you hit the ground the frame after the hitlag, so there would be no time to press L/R? Since you can't tech by pressing L/R during hitlag, and you hit the ground right after, how is that even possible?

I know it works, somehow, I've done it myself, it just seems to defy the laws of teching.

Doraki

Smash Lord
The laws of teching never said that you have to press L after being hit.
They only say that you have to press L before slamming into a wall.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^So basically it doesn't really matter when you get hit. All that really matters is if you hit L within 20 frames of hitting a techable surface.

Top Bottom