• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Guide to DI, Smash DI, C-stick DI, Teching and Crouch Cancelling --- Updated

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
If you can shield it... why would you want to instead tech it in the first place?
I don't. But sometimes, when I CC and predict an attack, but don't shield fast enough. I just immediately ground tech, and I'm wondering how it works. Do you not hit the floor immediately after getting hit into the ground? If so, how accurate do you have to be to get the tech?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
I don't. But sometimes, when I CC and predict an attack, but don't shield fast enough. I just immediately ground tech, and I'm wondering how it works. Do you not hit the floor immediately after getting hit into the ground? If so, how accurate do you have to be to get the tech?
No, you hit the floor on the last frame of hitlag if ASDI was enough to get you there, or on the frame you SDI'd if you did so. You just have to hit L within 20 frames before hitting the ground, and in most cases hitlag doesn't make a noticable difference (because it's so small).

Dream Chaser

Smash Journeyman
Say that O is the flight path and 7 is the direction.

----------7-----------------------------------
----------|-7---------------------------------
----------|---7-------------------------------
----------|-----7-------------------------0--
----------|-------7----------------0---------
----------|---------7-------0----------------
----------|-----------0-----------------------
---------------0------------------------------
--------0-------------------------------------
--0-------------------------------------------

If the DI acts perpendicularly to the trajectory, does that mean that the horizantal benefit is this red line? (not drawn to scale)

Does that mean that if you pushed the stick completely left, you would get this same horizontal benefit without the vertical "influence"?

DarkMist

Smash Cadet
I read the OP a few times, and about 20 pages of replies. I have a pretty good grasp on how all these DI's DO work, I just have a few uncertainties/grey areas that I didnt see really mentioned where they wouldnt work, mainly for DI.

Does regular DI still work when your already in mid-flight from an attack? Say for example you got hit by an attack that sent you horizontal to the right. Would regular DI still work if i begin inputting it as im moving through the air after the attack and hitlag?

In this scenario, I know that you can regular DI up and to the left, with C-sticking towards the stage (directly left, since ASDI doesnt have to be parallel) before all hitlag frames (and the 1 frame afterwards) end. Now, suppose I was holding no directions prior or during the hit and got sent flying, and then decided to input those directional controls mid flight. What would/wouldnt work in that scenario?

My guess is there would be no ASDI, but unsure if regular DI would still happen, if it did, would it be reduced?

Oh exactly HOW much of a difference would a perfect DI and ASDI from a powerful blow be in terms of surviving an offscreen death or star KO? Percentage wise? In terms of brawl, Its said that DI has become even more influential, does anyone know by how much, especially in comparison to melee?

Thanks a ton in advance.

EDIT: Has the way regular and ASDI changed from melee to brawl? Please answer this!

psycho4r5

Smash Rookie
??

hi i think im understanding all this but i have a few questions. first being with the DI, from the way the guide is written it seems like the only way to do this is with a gc or classic controller what about people that use the wii mote like myself. also, so what exactly is teching is it when you sheild right before you a hit a wall and then you stop moving or what? I didnt really understand from the guide. in the guide it says to hit l or r at a wall which if i remember right is sheild so does it work with a wii mote?

DarkSeraph0

Smash Rookie
Hmm this is rather confusing but if I ever understand this then maybe it could be helpful...
Now that I think about it I may already be doing this and I just didn't realize it but I need a video that explains exactly what you are talking about to fully understand this.

crosser43

Smash Journeyman
Say that O is the flight path and 7 is the direction.

----------7-----------------------------------
----------|-7---------------------------------
----------|---7-------------------------------
----------|-----7-------------------------0--
----------|-------7----------------0---------
----------|---------7-------0----------------
----------|-----------0-----------------------
---------------0------------------------------
--------0-------------------------------------
--0-------------------------------------------

If the DI acts perpendicularly to the trajectory, does that mean that the horizantal benefit is this red line? (not drawn to scale)

Does that mean that if you pushed the stick completely left, you would get this same horizontal benefit without the vertical "influence"?
So in this situation, if you want to get as high and horizontally left at the same time as possible, do you follow the path of the red line or the 7? Do we DI perpendicular to the flight path (7) or perpendicular to something else?

Leech

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the help.. i knew about DIs didn't know there were so many different forms of a DI

ss118

Smash Master
This was an amazing read: while I could apply the major mechanics of this, it does help to understand the mechanics themselves, making them even easier to apply.

OlimarFan

Smash Ace
Hmm this is rather confusing but if I ever understand this then maybe it could be helpful...
Now that I think about it I may already be doing this and I just didn't realize it but I need a video that explains exactly what you are talking about to fully understand this.

DI saves your life. Really.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Can't people stop being stupid and saying "ZOMGz how do i survival di liek ken and azen evrytime"... You can't just survival DI the same way EVERYTIME... You have to DI according to the angle that the attack you're getting hit by sends you and where you are on which stage
Also, you're forgetting an erguably even more important aspect of DI: getting out of combos
SDI (or ASDI) hardly doesn't help in survival DI btw, unless you're SDI'ing/ASDI'ing into something and teching.
SDI can help alot when it comes to getting out of combos though. You can get out of most two-hit attacks this way (depending on your position in relation to them)

just understand how DI works (through reading this guide) and start thinking for yourselves
I'm pretty sure you insta-tech when you press L/R the first frame after the hitlag (it says in the ledge teching section in the first post here) but not DURING the hitlag, so that's prolly what you're doing

EDIT: Thanks alot for this guide BTW LOL. It's amazing, I'd be *** at DI if it wasn't for this.

I don't remember the specifics, but you will jump if you input a jump in a 50-frame window before the stun ends.
I've noticed that.
I have a question about that though: Does this window of time where you can "buffer" a jump for when the hitlag ends apply to other moves aswell?
for example, If I as marth would press over-b 20 frames before im out of hitstun (from an attack), would marth perform an over-B just as the hitstun ends?
And more importantly: Does this apply to wiggling out of a tumble? (I know wiggling does NOT reduce stun time)... what I'm asking is, say that I would wiggle my control stick enough for me to get out of a tumble during the 50 frames before I get out of hitstun, would this mean that I would get out of the tumble as soon as the hitstun ends?
Thanks for any clarification. :)

gr8ape

Smash Apprentice
It is written that you cannot smash di a hit into the ground

However, sometimes I get hit by samus's ftilt or fsmash, and when I pres down and shield fast enough, I will tech the hit on place
explanation?

DI saves your life. Really.
Quoted for truth.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
You can ASDI into the ground. I never said you could SDI into the ground. You can SDI into a wall or something of that kind though.
And the most probable answer to your question is in my above post (me answering witchking of angmar's question)

Eggm

Smash Hero
Yeah I've smash DI'ed a knee before doing the regular survival DI and that little nudge towards the stage before flying away let me forward b on the very end of the stage instead of getting edge hogged and dying. More than once.

CommanderCody08

Smash Apprentice
I can't believe that all this time I've been DIing exactly opposite the way I was flying instead of perpendicular to my trajectory. I wonder how many stock I could have saved if I weren't so dumb.

When you get hit upwards what is the best way to DI?

fox219

Smash Journeyman
Amazing! thanks for the technique. I tried it but i couldn't do it. after i read this, I could do it.

Geist

Smash Master
I'm not sure, but I'm under the impression that weight is the deciding factor in ccing.
Which is why samus is so great at it.

FYASKO

Smash Apprentice
mm
i wouldnt say that, look at jiggs =s
and doc.
you of all people should know how stupid i am when i cc.
wich is always. >_>
i think it has more to do with how , ... slippery? the character is. =s
kinda like when you get hit in light sheild, some characters get hit farther.
(like luigi.)
i think when luigi gets hit cc'ing, he'll probably get hit farther,

so im under the impression that how much a character slides would be what its dependant on. =s

ICEDTEA1325

Smash Apprentice
is marths ledge tech harder or different to do then the rest of the characters? i heard this from a friend and i am not sure now. either way i can do it fine but just wanting to know.

Top Bottom