• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(」・ω・)」 MARS la Marf in Smash 4 (/・ω・)/

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
so, what exactly makes the snake matchup so bad? i never really got that part, at least, i've done well against snakes. and not stupid snakes either, ones that actually know what they're doing...

C.J.

Smash Master
He lives forever, kills you early, can break your spacing w/ dash attack, rivals your range, really good stage control. Although, it's really not that bad... it's dead even.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
for tl to do that you'd have to

A. Suck at spacing

or

B. TL has to go CQC which he fails at (dsmash comes on frame 11...lolwut, jab is 6 frames...dude this kid's reaction so slow)

then again such a technique would be dumb if it were to be reliable. =V

that silly game

so glad i never got good at it

otherwise id be disillusioned into playing it <_<

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I hit with Marth's fsmash all the time, and most people would only hit with the 11 frame hit onwards.

Them setting it up is quite noticable though... I doubt it would get you if you knew about it.

Reizilla

my gawd, this is gonna make marth unviable in tourney. everybody's gonna pick up tl now just for this, and he might just start beating m2k now. :O

feardragon64

Smash Champion
I haven't even seen it and I'm pretty sure I know what it is from the name. Can I guess in that they have a bomb and they only hit with the first hit of dsmash?

I'm sorry but if they pull out a bomb and you don't see this coming....what viet said. If it's something else then I'm misunderstanding it. This is what I read:
How to Perform: Full hop, Instantly Bomb Pull, Instantly Fast Fall, Instantly Invincibomb then Instantly use D-smash.
So basically if you see them charging at you with a bomb in their hand, why aren't you spacing?

Edit: I'm not saying it's not useful because it is, but there's no need for the bull about how Marth will be "unviable" >>

feardragon64

Smash Champion
That technique sounds "good" as in "thank God TLs are now going to start approaching me as opposed to sitting back and shooting a chain in my face"
A smart thing for them to do would be to camp and shoot the chain in your face like they usually do and force you to approach. That way they'll have a legitimate reason for just holding a bomb. So I doubt it.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
if anything this will make them campier LOL

basically the bomb is there to cancel him out of the attack

the bomb is a momentum-canceling projectile, so your knockback will be greatly reduced actually if they time it wrong and it hits both of you.

Ya

Santi's 3:10 only looks flashy but is actually worse than plain usmash. =V

Especially when we combine momentum canceling.

Wow once you learn all of this

you can't unlearn it

so tragic...

feardragon64

Smash Champion
It's ok viet. We know you're scarred. Go play more melee to heal your scars.

Question though viet. Obviously the bomb is canceling their dsmash animation. Can you smash DI into their bomb explosion and cancel your momentum from their dsmash?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
another question... how is this a 1hko?

because of "set-knockback" or something?

I'm confused because I've been hit by TL's Downsmash... I didn't die lol
The first hit has weird glitchy behaviour, that's probably why it works.

Waiting for the video for confirmation and final analysis on how to counter.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
You know how the first hit of it knocks you into the second hit? Basically the first hit has a set knockback that is suprisingly strong. So in reality the second hit is "stopping" your insane knockback and applying a different knockback. By hitting himself with a bomb, TL stops the second hit from even occurring and you only get hit by the first hit.

It's still not anything match changing though X_X

And I'll tell you now, the best counter right now without any testing is to just not get hit. Honestly, it's not like dsmash was hitting a well spaced marth constantly anyways. If you have decent reaction times you could also DS when you see him drop the bomb. This is just me guessing but I'm pretty sure that you have at least a second to react since TL has to release the bomb(which makes a convenient little sound), fastfall to the ground(not to mention he can only do this after doing a full jump), then dsmash. So basically all you have to do is NOT GET HIT by the dsmash. As far as I'm aware, you were doing that anyways. Avoiding a dsmash right after TL starts to land with a bomb in his hand doesn't seem that complicated. =\

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
You know how the first hit of it knocks you into the second hit? Basically the first hit has a set knockback that is suprisingly strong. So in reality the second hit is "stopping" your insane knockback and applying a different knockback. By hitting himself with a bomb, TL stops the second hit from even occurring and you only get hit by the first hit.

It's still not anything match changing though X_X
I dunno if it's even strong, haven't studied Toon Link in a while, but I know it's got REALLY REALLY weird behaviour.

Just saying it's not inconceivable cause I know that you can exploit it's behaviour on some stages, never heard of using a bomb for it before.

Basically, I'm sceptical till I see the vid, but it's far from impossible.

As for the edit, yea, unless they develop good set-ups, won't hurt us. Relevant to characters with worse spacing games though.

∫unk

Smash Master
Ddd f smash is more viable. Think about that.

I'm going to improve 99% of marths right now: STOP ROLLING INTO ME!!!

Usually that's a forward roll since I'll hit you away and you'll expect me to run forward, or it's a ledge trap and u want to roll past me

this doesn't ****ing work

it's because i'm pressuring and you want to escape but it's going right into me

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Marth on the ledge vs DDD sucks. I got better with it vs Junk since my bout with Lain(all Lain did was cg me to the ledge and **** me), but it's still a ridiculously crappy place to be. Your best bet is usually to get them to commit to something and go. The only times I got out properly was when Junk tried to predict me and I just waited for him to try and punish what he predicted.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
In before go to matchmakeri thread. Just kidding I would if brawl didnt lagg so bad for me <_<

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Question though viet. Obviously the bomb is canceling their dsmash animation. Can you smash DI into their bomb explosion and cancel your momentum from their dsmash?
According to the PSA program, first hit Dsmash has no SDIability, just like tipper Marth fsmash in this game was found to be unSDIable also.

However DI is always a universal function (there's actually an angle in-game that disables DI, but TL's dsmash doesn't use it). You could DI slightly up and away in reverse of the direction TL is located to try to get hit into the bomb. How likely that is to work is unlikely, or as unlikely as TL landing this to you anyway (set-up is too specific and holding a bomb limits him to only using specials and aerials).

Depending on how close to the edge you were you may die anyway.

Also if you DI incorrectly you'll make the strike even "stronger" and it may outright KO you.

The reason it's glitchy is due to some phenomenal weight dependent KB properties. Typically a lot of moves that use weight dependent KB are throws, which use it to properly knock all characters around the same vicinity.

But yeah, there's no reliable set-ups for this.

TL doesn't have anything but maybe dair to set-up a tech/tumble state in barlw, and the only moves that can consistently lock are arrow/nair/maybe jab depending on what hitbox you hit with (it has to be the "Sakurai Angle" which is 40 degrees but slowly increases with KB dealt).

The Sakurai Angle is applied to a lot of moves and is a culprit of why certain moves are so easy to DI. Marth's tipper fair at high percents and Dolphin Slash being DI'd all the way up at MK kill %'s are some obvious Marth-related examples.

I'm ranting but just food for thought. A lot of mechanics in this game seem like they're out to let people live forever. <__<

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Thanks viet. You pretty much answered all the questions I had and more. <3

I'm with steel. Viet's posts are so much better now.
CONFIDENCE AND INTELLIGENCE!

Edit: wait why am I still interested in this crap if I don't play brawl anymore. **** me.

Tennet

Smash Champion
Junk i noticed i roll forward when i was playing at my friend's house and i'm like ****it i rolled again D=

Reizilla

one of you marth high schoolers, go to Texas A&M University-Kingsville next year, so I can have someone to play with. This place is so dead T_T

and my "zombie" dog is officially 80 years old and he's very sick :(

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Just thought I should let you guys know, Full hopping isn't the only way to perform it.
Try, Bomb Pull, SH, Invincibomb just as you start falling down, Instantly use D-smash.
Much quicker then a Full hop.

Vanishes in a puff of smoke.

Top Bottom