• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

☆ Official Luigi Match-Up Thread! ☆

Knubs.

ナブ Paquito.
So. Is anyone planning to take this over? I feel that the we need at least a general one that lists all the MUs for everyone already and then discuss and change some from time to time.

yoshq

Smash Master
i'll just say right off the bat that i lose to falcos sometimes, but i'll try to help anyway.
if all he's doing is running around and shielding at the beginning of the stock looking for the grab, then if you feel confident that you will land the grab when you try it and he's not spot dodging too much, do it. then if he's in said mindset, he will almost surely air dodge after you dthrow, so you can get another grab. then you can do w/e mixups and stuff.

if you're not confident you can get the grab and he's spotdodging too much, utilts are your friend. usually after he gets that chaingrab to spike, he changes, so read his playstyle.

if he's zooming back and forth and lasering, crawl, nado, and roll utilt. if he's basing the playstyle on random air moves, you can shield or spotdodge and just trade some random hits (or maybe something else since I'm not good against this playstyle).

as for the kill game, you can always spot dodge him when he runs up for an upsmash and upb him. as for the fsmash, just be patient and don't always try to punish it.

to punish the phantasm, the green missile ALWAYS hits him out of it as long as he's not above you. the nair is good too, as long as you're a bit above him and he can't hit your upper body.

get some other input on this because i'm not particularly good at this mu.

BigLøu

Smash Lord
i'll just say right off the bat that i lose to falcos sometimes, but i'll try to help anyway.
if all he's doing is running around and shielding at the beginning of the stock looking for the grab, then if you feel confident that you will land the grab when you try it and he's not spot dodging too much, do it. then if he's in said mindset, he will almost surely air dodge after you dthrow, so you can get another grab. then you can do w/e mixups and stuff.

if you're not confident you can get the grab and he's spotdodging too much, utilts are your friend. usually after he gets that chaingrab to spike, he changes, so read his playstyle.

if he's zooming back and forth and lasering, crawl, nado, and roll utilt. if he's basing the playstyle on random air moves, you can shield or spotdodge and just trade some random hits (or maybe something else since I'm not good against this playstyle).

as for the kill game, you can always spot dodge him when he runs up for an upsmash and upb him. as for the fsmash, just be patient and don't always try to punish it.

to punish the phantasm, the green missile ALWAYS hits him out of it as long as he's not above you. the nair is good too, as long as you're a bit above him and he can't hit your upper body.

get some other input on this because i'm not particularly good at this mu.
Well, I'm generally ok on avoiding the grab at early percentages. Also I think its safe to safe don't try to jab grab falco too much because he is a fast faller and can jab you before you land the grab. I can't ever cyclone because I get powershielded to grab, I've pretty much removed using cyclone when I try.

I agree with utilt, I got to use it more at lower percentages. I think that using upsmash through phantasm works better because it kills easrly and works the best (at least for me)

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Lol lou you have problems with kismet not falco. It's easiest for me to punish phantasm with a short nair. Try to always trade hits whenever you're near falco in the air. Jab cancelling works pretty well for me instead of following up with anything else.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Does the cyclone really outprioritizes Falco's Fsmash ? It worked everytime I tried online, but I never got an occasion to test it in person.

btw, Luigi's bair can punish everything falco has in the air. I spam this move sooooo much against him =3

Pony

Smash Apprentice
I LOVE Green Missile vs. Phantasm.
Catches them off guard, Misfires are especially nice.

AxelPurpleMissle

Smash Journeyman
So Like who's going to quote or update these in the first page? We need to have more topics (links) and talk about each discussion. Ice climbers, diddy, etc. ...

Or at least put up more info for each one.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
I've trained in this matchup (admittedly, not against the best of the best falcos,) recently. You can trade just about anything with phantasm if they're not really discreet about when they're going to use it. Charge smash attacks, even. Getting around what options they're considering is super important; you can nair out of anything but the most perfect chaingrabs quickly too. (There are times nair is fast enough to break it and jump isn't, at least from what I can tell.

On the flip side, watch the hell out for if he uses a lot of just his first jab, that thing does a mess on weegee's spacing, since it steps so far forward, and is hard to read in a powershield (and pushes you if you powershield and he keeps up the jab anyway...)

TheMike

Smash Lord
About Falco's Side B... well, I spam Neutral B. =] When I'm really far from him and know that he will use Side B by looking if he's above the ledge, I use Dash Attack.

Btw, when will there be new MU discussions?

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
This was brought to me by Roxy just today. I felt it was a great idea that you guys could use to either start up a new match up thread (Which might be best) or continue working on this one.

Lots of people have been requesting that Luigi's Match-ups be discussed and so I decided to post this here. It's your choice as too whether or not you want to do anything with this. Discuss it amongst yourselves and see what happens :)

I never really did apologize your abandoning this though. So if it means anything, I'm sorry. I'm not about to go into why though as it won't make a difference.

Anyways, here you go!

Roxy said:
It will need around three unbiased, relatively skilled snake players, and about two players from the opposing character.

It would start off with the three people (i guess you can consider them the panel). Discuss the pros and cons of our character, by now these should all be very well developed. We will also look at the pros and cons of the opposing character.

When all of this is finished, the discussion will go public, where all the pros and cons are listed, how they affect the matchup, stages, etc. Public people will share their opinion and a general summary of the matchup can be made from here.

The panel will then decide on a match-up rank (ex. 60:40).

Here's where the two players from an opposing character come in. They will re-read the summary, explain some pros about their character that we might have left out, so on and so forth. They will also make a summary of how the opposing character should and most likely will be playing this match-up. Then with those five people we will reach a general agreement on a match-up ranking, this match-up and summary can go on both boards.

I sent this to you because you are running the match-up board, I'm trying to see if we can implement this in boards to make match-up threads get generally finished.

I am not a part of your backroom, however I'm going through all of the character discussion boards to get something set up that will expand the brawl metagame. If you could discuss this amongst your backroom and see if this plan could be implemented i would take great compliment by it.

-Roxy
Btw, this concept doesn't just apply to Snake. Wasn't sure if that was clear or not.

TheMike

Smash Lord
I think we can have some great public discussions by inviting the opposite character's boards to give their opinion on the macthup. Every boards does this, and it won't hurt. But it's a nice idea, and I would like to be one of those people when the ROB matchup will be discussed, if this method will really be applied.

Purple

Hi guys!
Remember, these conversations are still public, however the match-ups that will be taken seriously are the three panelists and the two character people we decide to choose. The reason i don't want too much public input is because these match-ups take generally too long to discuss. and with three people hand chosen, the activity of the match-up discussion will sky rocket. If you want Mike, we can do the rob matchup and discuss it.

Purple

Hi guys!
the panelist will be good with their character and understand their character's limits and strengths. While i agree these panelists should be good in their own right as well, having the knowledge would be sufficient for match up threads.

TheMike

Smash Lord
I think we should start from the difficult matchups, and ROB isn't one of them IMO, but thanks for being generous. ;]

Marth, MK, DK...

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Honestly I don't find DK that difficult asides from his f tilt. If you get within boxing range on him you can do ALOT of stuff. 55-45 DK, but not among Luigi's toughest, I see to beat DKs regulary, but maybe I need to vs better dks...

Then again i'm a freak for thinking Zelda is tough for Luigi

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
Going in the water = instant death, apparently.
That too, I like doing that, just walking them in the water.

I would like to point out that in the DK v Luigi MU a really good thing a liugi can do is crouch. Cause bairs miss him while he is crouched. And seeing as how us DK's like our bair crouching should help a little.

Purple

Hi guys!
So how did everyone feel about the match-up discussion?

Quick question, if you guys do stage striking, what would the best stages to ban?

Rising-Tide

Smash Apprentice
rainbow cruise is legit. i do like delfino against some characters for situational reasons. brinstar's low ceiling is nice as well. usually it's brinstar or cruise, they ban one, pick the other :p

TreK

Is "that guy"
As much as I like RC, I don't feel comfy with Luigi there. I mean I'm used to **** shield campers that think they're smart and then I CP RC and they can't shield anymore so they realize they can outrange us in the air too. Wut.

Knubs.

ナブ Paquito.
Too much air time for Meta Knight there. x.x
I feel like he could just easily punish you when the ship leaves. Sounds good for Snake though.

Top Bottom