• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

☆ Official Luigi Match-Up Thread! ☆

AxelPurpleMissle

Smash Journeyman
Did we talk about all the match up for luigi yet? Or is it just that its not updated in the first post of the topic. It would be neater if it were to continue.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I thought we just stopped talking about matchups all together at this point lol.

And imo I dunno how Marth is 30-70 cause it sure isn't, 40-60 imo Or even 35-75 would be good since when I enter a battle with Marth i'm never completly 70-30 *****. More like a 60-40 ***** or 65-35 if the Marth is really really good.

BigLøu

Smash Lord
marth luigi is 6/4 marth imo.

He just breaks us down in spacing, when you get a jab off you can do some serious damage. Luigi also lives longer then marth in this matchup.

exdia_16

Smash Journeyman
thats tru i play my crew mate and the best marth in my crew he beats me when im not thinking but then i get close to winning then i still lose idk wat to do to get close i get frustrated and lose can u help big lou?

BigLøu

Smash Lord
thats tru i play my crew mate and the best marth in my crew he beats me when im not thinking but then i get close to winning then i still lose idk wat to do to get close i get frustrated and lose can u help big lou?
Make sure you relax while playing is the biggest thing. Getting frustrated will cause to get hit by moves that are easily avoidable.

Like boss said, throw out some fireballs so that the marth is forced to either avoid it, or swat them away. This forces the marth to do something else in the match up and generally avoids the focus on you for a short time. Get in close to him and land a jab, remember jab is faster then any of his ground moves(unless marth's dolphin slash is faster then 2 frames?)

Space Luigi's back air a lot as well, bait the marth fair and come in with a bair, and most importantly get the kill as early as possible but do not make it look too predictable.

In the end simply, go for a kill move only when you think you can land it. Otherwise your going to eat a lot of damage from dancing blades.

Luigi cyclone isn't bad either, but if you do it too much marth will just shield it then dolphin slash oos everytime so careful with that.

yoshq

Smash Master
i'll just say right off the bat that i lose to falcos sometimes, but i'll try to help anyway.
If all he's doing is running around and shielding at the beginning of the stock looking for the grab, then if you feel confident that you will land the grab when you try it and he's not spot dodging too much, do it. Then if he's in said mindset, he will almost surely air dodge after you dthrow, so you can get another grab. Then you can do w/e mixups and stuff.

If you're not confident you can get the grab and he's spotdodging too much, utilts are your friend. Usually after he gets that chaingrab to spike, he changes, so read his playstyle.

If he's zooming back and forth and lasering, crawl, nado, and roll utilt. If he's basing the playstyle on random air moves, you can shield or spotdodge and just trade some random hits (or maybe something else since i'm not good against this playstyle).

As for the kill game, you can always spot dodge him when he runs up for an upsmash and upb him. As for the fsmash, just be patient and don't always try to punish it.

To punish the phantasm, the green missile always hits him out of it as long as he's not above you. The nair is good too, as long as you're a bit above him and he can't hit your upper body.

Get some other input on this because i'm not particularly good at this mu.
you should put my posts about falco and olimar in the op so i don't have to keep reposting them

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
*sigh*

If you want I can put it in the OP I guess. I'll make a small general character advice section at the bottom since this thread is still being used for whatever reason.

Someone should still take this over imo.

yoshq

Smash Master
mm neo if he's at columbus, I'll even pay for it if that's an issue, as long as I can get it recorded. he takes the luigi matchup serious as ****, lol.

edit: I'll take it over if you want

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
edit: I'll take it over if you want
O__o
Really?

That'd be awesome!
I'll get Phantom/Random Admin to give you the OP. Then you can do what you wish with this thread.

exdia_16

Smash Journeyman
Kneed help against sonic(boss you know why) im mm soon and i kneed to know this match-up wat to do wat knot to do and safe kill moves.

yoshq

Smash Master
Kneed help against sonic(boss you know why) im mm soon and i kneed to know this match-up wat to do wat knot to do and safe kill moves.
nair everything

in other news, the pit boards need help with the luigi matchup. so if you guys could comment on any of this stuff, that would be helpful. the following is Admiral Pit's format, if you guys could just fill in some of the little sections that would be cool.

Format of Summary thing

Matchup: Luigi

Intro: Easily one of the more annoying and threatening characters around, especially if you don't know how he works. He has many fast and spammable attacks, which some are even strong, and he proves to be better than his shorter brother in various sections.

Note: My intro is just um, well a little intro to the matchup for Pit users. You don't need one if you don't want to.

-Range/Priority
Which moves outprioritize which moves?

-Weight/Power
This section is pretty much comparing both characters' weight and power. Since this one is easy...

Luigi is a bit heavier than Pit, and much more powerful.

-Camping
Here we compare the camping (that includes ledge camping) capabilities of both characters. How hard is it for the character to deal with the other one's camping? What can that character do to try to get through the campy player? This section is where these type of questions are answered.

-Speed
Here running speed, and attack speed is discussed. In terms of attack speed, it includes if the character has attacks that come out fast, and how spammable they are. Here we compare both characters.

-General Basics/Strategies
The stuff Pit should

Luigi Tricks and Stuff to Watch Out for
Everyone has their little tricks. What does Luigi have? Any little combos that Pit should be aware of?

Edgeguarding/Gimping (Pit to Luigi)
How well can Pit gimp and edgeguard against Luigi? Here is where we discuss how he can (if he can), as well as identifying the different recovery options (midair jump included) Luigi has, so Pit may understand Luigi's options better.

Here's my little example of what I'm talking about:

-Side-B
A replica of Pika's Side-B, except it has misfires, which are extra powerful. Sometimes, if Luigi hits a wall, his head may get stuck in it, giving Pit a few seconds to punish him.

-Midair Jump + Down-B
This allows Luigi to move upwards quite a bit, not to mention the threatening hit-boxes of Down-B helping him recover. He can do this once, and only if he has his midair jump still. (hope I am right)

-Edgeguarding/Gimping (Luigi to Pit)
Think of the Pit to Luigi section, except the opposite. Pretty much discuss how Luigi can gimp Pit, and what he can do against a Pit on the ledge.

-Stage CPs/Bans
Ah yes, the stages. You should know how this works out.

CPs
What stages Pit should CP against Luigi and the reasons why.

Bans
What stages Pit should ban against Luigi and the reasons why.

Synopsis
This is the overall, including the ratio in opinion (Not too much biasedness please) and a little recap on things and the reason for the advantage/disadvantage for Pit (or even).

This is my format. Feel free to put this in the Luigi's Point-of view, if you main him. I will appreciate your help. You can contact me on AIM or PM if you got any questions (AIM preferred) about this. I just want to get these matchups done ASAP.
I'll appreciate the help.

BigLøu

Smash Lord
We should actually try to get a matchup chart going lol. I have a few questions/need help with a few matchups myself.

NNID
LilG912
My opinions about Luigi vs Pit.

Strike FD cuz you know guys already that Luigi sucks on FD against ppl w/ projectiles. Pit is floaty and light weight and we can juggle him. We got better combos, strength, DI, and killing power than Pit. Just PS his arrows as you attempt to approach him. Watch out for his Bair and his smashes, but his smashes is weak, we can handle his smash attacks rly well cuz we got beasty DI, his best smash is side smash. Pit will have trouble killing off Luigi, we got all the tools to take off a stock off of him which is our smashes and back throw. His knockback is not that gud @ all.

What neutral stages we should bring Pit:

BF, YI, and SV (if you're comfortable playing him on that stage)

What CPs we should bring Pit:

Frigate & Brinstar.

What stages to ban:

FD and RC

My opinion for this MU: 50/50 or Luigi's favor 55/45

Top Bottom