• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

☆ Official Luigi Match-Up Thread! ☆

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
nair everything
-Midair Jump + Down-B
This allows Luigi to move upwards quite a bit, not to mention the threatening hit-boxes of Down-B helping him recover. He can do this once, and only if he has his midair jump still. (hope I am right)
You can tornado rise without your second jump, just wanted to clarify that for you.

exdia_16

Smash Journeyman
Make sure you relax while playing is the biggest thing. Getting frustrated will cause to get hit by moves that are easily avoidable.

Like boss said, throw out some fireballs so that the marth is forced to either avoid it, or swat them away. This forces the marth to do something else in the match up and generally avoids the focus on you for a short time. Get in close to him and land a jab, remember jab is faster then any of his ground moves(unless marth's dolphin slash is faster then 2 frames?)

Space Luigi's back air a lot as well, bait the marth fair and come in with a bair, and most importantly get the kill as early as possible but do not make it look too predictable.

In the end simply, go for a kill move only when you think you can land it. Otherwise your going to eat a lot of damage from dancing blades.

Luigi cyclone isn't bad either, but if you do it too much marth will just shield it then dolphin slash oos everytime so careful with that.

that helped soo much im 2 stocking him now and i hav been coming up with ways to fire anyone dont tell boss when close enough to fire sum one jab away from the opponent then up b in the other direction toward the opponent u hav to mov the analog stick slightly up toward the opponent it works every time they think im doing something wrong unblock and walk into a up-b try it out.

NNID
LilG912
Because when he does his up b, sometimes the stages screws it up for him or useless if he's under the stage while trying to recover, we can easily hit him outta his recovery w/ fireball or bair and then we can recover w/ luigis cyclone so we can knock a stock off of him. But i dunno, he seems ok on that stage, he aint the best char on that stage.

BigLøu

Smash Lord
Because when he does his up b, sometimes the stages screws it up for him or useless if he's under the stage while trying to recover, we can easily hit him outta his recovery w/ fireball or bair and then we can recover w/ luigis cyclone so we can knock a stock off of him. But i dunno, he seems ok on that stage, he aint the best char on that stage.
You can shoot a fireball out of his recovery on any stage in the same similar fashion, and its risky to try to gimp pit in most instances.

From what I am understanding of your suggestion to using this stage vs pit is:

1) Sometimes the stage can mess him up. Well, this is true for any instance vs any character and it can happen to pit. But it can also happen to any character as well, so this shouldn't be a thought that goes through your mind when counter picking pit.

2) You are saying that you can easily knock pit out of his recovery on the level. Frigate is one of the hardest stages for Luigi to land a gimp on. The risk/reward is extremely tilted into the risk section. When exactly would you try and gimp pit on this level, that is not different from other stationary levels? What is the difference between gimping pit on a neutral, compared to any other neutral in the game. The only difference here is that Luigi is put into a horrible position should the stage cause Luigi to go off the level.

It can be very hard to avoid a gimp from pit, and because of the level switching and putting Luigi in a vulnerable spot in the air, it's just risking too much vs Pit.

This is actually not a bad counter pick for Luigi in a good bit of match-ups, but not vs characters that can fly, have 5 jumps and an up b recovery with quite a bit of mobility.

I would recommend a neutral vs pit in general, or a counter pick a small boundary and level terrain such as brinstar.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I personally like Halberd, Yoshi's, or BF vs Pit. Also, Green Green's if it is allowed. Basically any small stage, platform stage, or low ceiling.

Pick a stage that prevents Pit from camping. DI out of his f-smash and Pit has trouble killing. use a lot of back air, down b, and fireballs.

exdia_16

Smash Journeyman
well in md/va we only hav two or three pits and everytime i play them they want to goto fd,bf,rc,and ps1 i can combo pit to 65 and fire him without getting touched with arrows just once though after that i play smart and all mind games i never go for a gimp against pit so i dont get gimped i only go for a gimp when he trys to gimp me and when i feel like doing sum thing flashy but only when im up a stock pits love to arrow loop to any smash attack at you so watch for that but i giv this match up to luigi for his air game and recovery against pit to pressure a pit main just mind game him dont be predictable then he can approach nor hurt you spacing bairs and fairs are a good way yo pressure pit into jab>.....>jab>up bor jab>...jab>...jab>....moments later >jab...up bi like to study wat his reaction is to my jabs and grabs so a way to predict a pit is by jab walk away or jab and wait and jab grab i love doing that good way to put ur opponent off.xD

NNID
LilG912
This is actually not a bad counter pick for Luigi in a good bit of match-ups, but not vs characters that can fly, have 5 jumps and an up b recovery with quite a bit of mobility.

I would recommend a neutral vs pit in general, or a counter pick a small boundary and level terrain such as brinstar.
Yeah, I don't blame u, but hmm it seems frigate won't benefit us @ all. Dont bring him to FD cuz u gonna have to powershield his arrows all day. BF, YI, and SV are gud choices.

BSP

Smash Legend
Um, sorry to semi-bump, but is this our official MU thread? We need to get this stuff done.

BSP

Smash Legend
IMO we should also wait for some input from the better Luigi's like BigLou and YoshQ. Not saying tha anyone here is incompetent, but since they place more frequently, they probably know a bit more detail about MUs and such.

MLG is today right?

Variable

Smash Ace
IMO we should also wait for some input from the better Luigi's like BigLou and YoshQ. Not saying tha anyone here is incompetent, but since they place more frequently, they probably know a bit more detail about MUs and such.

MLG is today right?
I agree 100%. They would know the MU's best.

Yes it starts tonight and goes through the weekend.

BSP

Smash Legend
Is it that no one uses luigi (O.o) or that all the Luigi users are never here or just don't talk much? We need to get this stuff done lol.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
It's that no one's worthy enough to use him but us :D

BSP

Smash Legend
So, is anyone actually willing to actively discuss MUs? I'll do my part to help, but only if some other Luigis give input and such.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Guys, why haven't I seen anyone mention YI against pit? The platform is fun, luigi is generally good there. Plus Pit is actually pretty easy to gimp on yi (can't go under the stage). If you ever see the wings come out kill him with a fireball or just get under him and jump a cyclone, he just dies. Not to mention the shyguys can mess up his arrow game. I play a couple pits pretty often, and I'm pretty confident this is luigi's best CP on pit.

ninja edit: Oh, looks like people did mention it, I just didn't read well enough. Everything else is still good though.

HyL!

Smash Lord
Guys, why haven't I seen anyone mention YI against pit? The platform is fun, luigi is generally good there. Plus Pit is actually pretty easy to gimp on yi (can't go under the stage). If you ever see the wings come out kill him with a fireball or just get under him and jump a cyclone, he just dies. Not to mention the shyguys can mess up his arrow game. I play a couple pits pretty often, and I'm pretty confident this is luigi's best CP on pit.

ninja edit: Oh, looks like people did mention it, I just didn't read well enough. Everything else is still good though.
i said that in the stage discussion D:

BSP

Smash Legend
Yeah, Luigi can juggle them pretty well in the air. Get them separated and keep hitting them into the air. Use Luigi's insane KO power to knock Nana out and keep them separated. Tornado is also good for splitting them up, but you can get grabbed if you do it blindly. I'd use a combo of fireballs when they blizzard, and then tornado through the iceblocks if you're fast enough.

It's a pretty straightfoward matchup. Luigi has to get them in the air, while avoiding being grabbed. Space aerials well, and use Dair and Bair's range to pressure their shield while avoiding being grabbed.

NNID
LilG912
Spam fireballs to the fullest extent in that matchup, dont spam too much of luigis cyclone cuz your opponent can read u easily and u can get shield grabbed, try to be unpredictable w/ luigis cyclone. ICs players said that it kinda hard to approach Luigi and plus it's hard to approach them as well.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Luigi vs IC's is either 60-40 or 65-35 IC's. It depends on the stages but the Ice climbers do better on the neutrals. Space back airs or you will die, quickly.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Well I'd think it's 55-45 or 60-40 ICs, saying it's 65-35 is like saying it's Marth or MK hard :p

Break em with tornado, get for f smash angled on nana (she's pree dumb lol) gimp whenever possible (careful for iceblock though) find way to get in their blizzard attack (fireballs, bair)

NNID
LilG912
FD - 35/65
BF - 40/60
YI - 40/60
SV - 35/65
Delfino - 40/60
Brinstar - 60/40
RC - 50/50?
Lylat - 40/60
PS1 - 45/55
Frigate - 45/55 or even
Castle Siege - 45/55 or even
Halberd - 40/60
Japes - even?

KoRo is right, pretty much about them being too gud on neutrals. Here's my ratio of the matchup when it comes to stage dependency, like Wario vs D3.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
suprised you give them a 40-60 on Hali and a 45-55 on Frigate, Frigate I think is the only stage of Luigi vs IC's I see outside of possibly Green Greens and picto if they are allowed where the matchup is even.

BTW, FD: 30-70, I promise.

PS1/Lylat and Yoshi's are your best bet

1.Ban FD and SV
2.get Graped on BF.
3.Win on Frigate
4.Lose on FD/SV.
*Profit*

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
BF isn't that bad for Luigi. Not because of platform camping, but because you don't have to land on the after your 2nd jump.

Btw, all of Luigi's aerials **** IC's side b. If you get caught in it,SDI up and up air with wreck them. Of course, you can go for the upb to punish the lag too.

Top Bottom