• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

☆ Official Luigi Match-Up Thread! ☆

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Did the Mario match up discussion already happen? I'm pretty **** sure its not 50:50 there, I'd say maybe 60:40 in Luigi's favor, or better.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I'd agree with Gerald, Although they are generally different characters, the traits that they do share, Luigi excels in them just a little bit more. (Aerials, tilts, jab, up and down smashes) Mario is faster movement wise, Luigi a little attack wise. I don't think it's too hard for Mario to gimp Luigi though. If you play smart with Luigi, it shouldn't be really hard ot gimp Mario either. 52/48 sounds plausible

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
we've gone through this matchup (mario) for 2 years now (nothing really has changed with the mu) and i just see baby posts

its always either 5/5

but generally SLIGHTLY leaning to luigis favor

mad lazy to explain, unimportant matchup imo, link is hard if you don't know the mu.

NNID
LilG912
I hate the match up if I'm Mario, I rather be Luigi than Mario. I know the Link MU, just powershield his projectiles, knock him off stage and edgeguard his poor recovery. Strike FD and that's it, I'm just explaining it in a short way, I don't feel like going into detail for that MU, matter of fact, I don't go into detail for any match up, I know what to do and all.

BSP

Smash Legend
Personally, I feel like Mario vs. Luigi is dead even.

And a good bowser is pretty annoying. Bowser is a huge target asking for combos, but he still outranges luigi, has more mobility, better OOS, and teh phire. Good Bowsers are annoying, but i guess good anyone is annoying.

Anywho, who should we do next?

NNID
LilG912
This thread don't wanna discuss any match-up and go into depth w/ it which is why I just posted my opinion of Luigi's ratio just to get it over with, but I'll discuss any match up and tell ya what to do and all, what to cp and shiz in a short way.

BSP

Smash Legend
Well, we could just post our opinions of ratios, and see if we can get general agreement, and if not, discuss why.

Like, for example, I'd say (Luigi's ratio is always last):

MK 65:35
Snake 55/45
Diddy 50/50
Falco 55/45 or 60/40, not sure
Ice Climbers 55/45
Marth can't be much worse than 60:40 IMO, he's definitely not harder than MK
Wario 55/45

Everyone could do that, or we could just say: "Luigi vs X character" toss up a ratio, and just simply explain why.

Whatever floats the peoples' boat.

NNID
LilG912
ICs vs Luigi could be a possible 55/45 but I'm sticking w/ 60/40 and Luigi vs Falco is rly 55/45. ICs and Luigi can't approach each other b/c Luigi's cyclone and ICs is desperate to CG. Luigi seems like he have to do the approaching possibly unless he can get the ICs player mad by camping and spam many fireballs towards the end of the match which would they have to force to approach and try to CG. Falco on the other hand, practice your power shielding and get better at it. U're good @ powershielding projectiles, you should able to handle the Falco and watch out for his CGs. I agree w/ that Luigi vs Marth match-up, 60/40 b/c Marth is overrated to me and plus a lot of Marths do the same thing, some don't know how to punish Luigi's traction.

Stage Picks on Falco

Yoshi's Island, Lylat, Brinstar, and Frigate. Strike FD and SV.

Stage Picks on ICs

Brinstar and Frigate. They excel in every neutral, strike FD and SV and take them to Yoshi's Island.

Stage Picks on Marth

Well, I'm so used to Marth. I take him on BF but you ain't suppose to do that but I do it all the time. Strike BF, it depends if you're comfortable fighting on that stage cuz Marth is rly good on it, just find the right Marth player who know his spacing and dancing blade very well. U can take Marth on FD and SV, I dunno about Yoshi's Island. I don't know what to cp Marth cuz he's seems good on his cps, but I cp him on Frigate.

BSP

Smash Legend
^Then you can't obliterate him with Up B. Bad Idea.

So, we're doing Falco now?

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
just in case we do Falco, this will help anyone.

It is really the matchup of great jabs, in this matchup, expect jabs and large grab/aerial combos.

I have possibly the most experience vs Falco of anyone here except for BigLou since I think Kismet still uses Falco mostly.

Outside of facing Metaknights, the majority of characters I play vs are Falco's, I have faced all of the top Falco's in NJ outside of possibly Atomsk's Falco.

Luigi+ (overall)
IF Luigi can get in close, Luigi can kill VERY easily
Up tilt is great for combos.
Falco's side b is out prioritized by most of Luigi's moves preventing him from Phantasm camping
Luigi can crawl beneath lasers.
Luigi's n-air can out prioritize non grab combos.
If Falco does not know how to chain grab perfectly, Luigi can get out of it.
Luigi has an overall better recovery, just don't down b too highly, save it.
Better Aerials overall
Jab combos help.
Back air/down air helps a lot.
Pick Yoshi's or BF, followed by PS1/LC.

Falco + (overall)
Better on low platform stages and overall not bad on BF either due to camping abilities
Falco's jab is Dumb, almost if not more dumb than Luigi's.
If Luigi is grabbed, expect 60 damage.
Lasers are annoying regardless, especially Laser to boosted up smash for kill.
Falco can back air our non-charged side b and down air both other recoveires
DACUS is a pain
Boosted up smash is great vs Luigi
Back air helps well vs Luigi.
Down b prevents fireball camping
FD, SV, and any flat stages is easily 60-40 and 65-35 possibly for Falco due to his camping ability.

Falco is a really annoying matchup for Luigi, DACUS moves luigi far away to prevent punishing, down air chain grabs work and so does down throw to down air.

if you get grabbed in other words vs. a Good falco, expect 60 damage or possibly more with reads.

Back air Falco's recovery, down b or back air Falco's side b (Down b is GREAT in this matchup is it prevents Falco from Side b camping).

BigLøu

Smash Lord
just in case we do Falco, this will help anyone.

It is really the matchup of great jabs, in this matchup, expect jabs and large grab/aerial combos.

I have possibly the most experience vs Falco of anyone here except for BigLou since I think Kismet still uses Falco mostly.

Outside of facing Metaknights, the majority of characters I play vs are Falco's, I have faced all of the top Falco's in NJ outside of possibly Atomsk's Falco.

Luigi+ (overall)
IF Luigi can get in close, Luigi can kill VERY easily
Up tilt is great for combos.
Falco's side b is out prioritized by most of Luigi's moves preventing him from Phantasm camping
Luigi can crawl beneath lasers.
Luigi's n-air can out prioritize non grab combos.
If Falco does not know how to chain grab perfectly, Luigi can get out of it.
Luigi has an overall better recovery, just don't down b too highly, save it.
Better Aerials overall
Jab combos help.
Back air/down air helps a lot.
Pick Yoshi's or BF, followed by PS1/LC.

Falco + (overall)
Better on low platform stages and overall not bad on BF either due to camping abilities
Falco's jab is Dumb, almost if not more dumb than Luigi's.
If Luigi is grabbed, expect 60 damage.
Lasers are annoying regardless, especially Laser to boosted up smash for kill.
Falco can back air our non-charged side b and down air both other recoveires
DACUS is a pain
Boosted up smash is great vs Luigi
Back air helps well vs Luigi.
Down b prevents fireball camping
FD, SV, and any flat stages is easily 60-40 and 65-35 possibly for Falco due to his camping ability.

Falco is a really annoying matchup for Luigi, DACUS moves luigi far away to prevent punishing, down air chain grabs work and so does down throw to down air.

if you get grabbed in other words vs. a Good falco, expect 60 damage or possibly more with reads.

Back air Falco's recovery, down b or back air Falco's side b (Down b is GREAT in this matchup is it prevents Falco from Side b camping).
I couldn't have said it better, this is exactly what I think of the matchup. I think falco wins it 6/4 at worst, depending on the stage.

You can't jab grab falco or do any jab combos to him 100 percent since he is a fast faller and has a frame 2 jab

boss8

Smash Hero
hafe to approach with bairs and bait his forward B

most of falcos damage will come by jabs lasers forword B and ftilts...falco really cant kill you though... a predictable Usmash and a predictable bair

well thats a campy falco

Top Bottom