• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda+Sheik Matchup Listing

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Hey Anouku, to make the OP easier to read, you should bold (and maybe underline) the reccommended matchup. Ex:

Even
:sonic: Sonic (55-45) (60-40) (45-55)
:mario2: Mario (55-45) (55-45) (50-50)
:zerosuitsamus: Zero Suit Samus (55-45) (50-50) (50-50)
:snake: Snake (55-45) (50-50) (45-55)
:shiek: Sheik (55-45) (55-45) (50-50)
:zelda: Zelda (55-45) (50-50) (45-55)
:marth: Marth (45-55) (40-60) (45-55)
:diddy: Diddy Kong (45-55) (60-40) (40-60)
:lucario: Lucario (45-55) (50-50) (40-60)
:pikachu2: Pikachu (45-55) (60-40) (30-70)
Just a little suggestion.

ADHD

Smash Hero
How is sheik against TL from your guys experience? I really want to kick that thing's *** and I've never gotten into this matchup too much. Any advice?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Feels plenty advantageous to me. Toon Link's whole projectile zoning game is way too slow to keep Sheik away, and his light weight and predictable recovery kind of counteracts Sheik's usual difficulty in killing.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Feels plenty advantageous to me. Toon Link's whole projectile zoning game is way too slow to keep Sheik away, and his light weight and predictable recovery kind of counteracts Sheik's usual difficulty in killing.
Okay, thanks.

Mmac

Smash Lord
You know, we never did discuss Yoshi vs. Sheik. It seems more like a neutral matchup and nowhere near that advantageous for Her....

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I agree, we have yet to discuss it. You can ask stealthsushi to cover it in his matchup discussion thread for next week.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Its probably even, but a tiny bit in sheik's favor because of the chain. But then again, yoshi is so hard to gimp.

Snakeee

Smash Master
I find it much easier to go all Zelda against Yoshi. That's the only way I seem to beat Pride. He also knows my ZSS too well and I'm considering giving Yoshi the advantage there.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I'm not sure how the chain works, but couldn't Yoshi just use his DJ Armour to get out?
No, I think the current theory is that if you get Yoshi to shield with proper chain usage you can make it so he can't escape thus trapping him in his shield until it breaks.

Yoshi is never given the chance to double jump

Mmac

Smash Lord
I can see where this could be a problem, but if it does lock and break it, wont Yoshi just get hit on the way out and the stun will be wasted?

-dMT-

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure that once the shield is broken and the victim flies a short distance out of his/her/it's shield until he/she/it hits the ground again and gets into the 'shield break stun stance', invincibility frames are present. It should give more than enough time for Sheik to retract her chain.

Again, I'm not 100% sure, but fairly certain. Can anyone run a quick test?

EDIT 8.16.2008:

I tested this. It was just as I said. Breaking Yoshi's egg with the chain won't lead to the rest of the chain hits hitting him out. He immediately flies up.

Seems like landing a chain on Yoshi's shield leads to a guaranteed shield break. Perhaps a Transform -> Lightning Kick follow up?

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Wow, this matchup thread seems wicked accurate. Whenever there is one that seems off from what i've experienced, i almost always recall that i've only played that matchup once or twice anyway.

Except vs. Olimar. I no longer insist on Sheik's number being ranged, 30-70 is close enough, if not exactly right. However, Zelda alone is certainly not better than Sheik alone. Zelda has it 20-80 or so. She's outcamped and has to approach, but can't reliable approach Olimar. A key part of her game is keeping her fsmash in good spacing during her matches, but Olimar's grab is longer. Zelda's rack game is much worse, and Sheik's gimping makes the kill game about even.
Din's can be whistle punished, 6 needles can't.
Zelda's reflector is punished by a running grab (unless you reflect a purple). Her projectile is punished by the superior pikmin throw.

demodemo

Smash Ace
Trasnform lightningkick followup? err

i would rather do sheiks usmash. fuller charged, if you get both its off, it is a whopping 40%

depending what percent he is, probably wont get the kill, but MMMMMMMMMMM 40% LOOKS PRETTY GOOD TO MEE HURR DURR

Mmac

Smash Lord
EDIT 8.16.2008:

I tested this. It was just as I said. Breaking Yoshi's egg with the chain won't lead to the rest of the chain hits hitting him out. He immediately flies up.

Seems like landing a chain on Yoshi's shield leads to a guaranteed shield break. Perhaps a Transform -> Lightning Kick follow up?
Lame. I don't see why to transform though, I don't think you would have enough time. Plus you could probably KO him with a Fully Charge FSmash/Usmash in most cases anyways. Although you might as well use Zelda in the first place since she has a much greater advantage over Yoshi than Sheik.

I still think the matchup is rather neutralish against Sheik only, The Chain is pretty situational, and easy to see coming. All Yoshi has to do is just remind himself not to shield the chain! I say it's about 55:45 Sheik. They both match in the air and ground quite well, though I think Yoshi does better in the Air slightly, while Sheik does better on the ground. They both have difficult to intercept recoveries. They both have a projectile (Though Needle is better, plus Sheiks movement speed limits Yoshi's to situational use). And they both have trouble Killing eachother (Though Yoshi probably has a slightly easier time, unless Sheik transforms, but then we're talking about Sheik/Zelda, which I say is about 65:35)

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wow, this matchup thread seems wicked accurate. Whenever there is one that seems off from what i've experienced, i almost always recall that i've only played that matchup once or twice anyway.

Except vs. Olimar...
A little too far mate.;) As Olimar, I think it's 50/50 v Sheik and 80/20 v Zelda.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I don't know man, Olimars are still a very difficult match up for me. Would you two be kind enough to give a in depth explanation why it's more around even then in Olimar favor just so us other Sheik users could start doing better?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Olimar's grab is surprisingly slow, you can usually interrupt it by jabbing after landing. Edgeguard a lot, go Zelda for the KO if Olimar reaches an unreasonable %, and use your shorthop aerial game to your advantage, since only the purples can completely stop you from there.

stealthsushi

Smash Apprentice
In the Olimar matchup, Sheik's strength in edge-guarding combined with Olimar's horrendous recovery will keep the match-up from being heavily in Olimar's favor. Also, I remember reading somewhere (I think this thread) about Olimar having a weakspot diagonal from him, which was posted by an Olimar user.

ADHD

Smash Hero
So what do you do on stage though, I always get grabbed. Can you just run up to him and jab in his face?

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
short hop bair
fair->jab cancel->needles
grabs.

Don't down smash his shield you get smash attacked or grabbed. You can jab his shield without much fear. Ban FD and use platforms to avoid pikmin throws, but don't stay on them; even though he doesn't have a strong answer to bairs he does have such a strong anti air game.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't know man, Olimars are still a very difficult match up for me. Would you two be kind enough to give a in depth explanation why it's more around even then in Olimar favor just so us other Sheik users could start doing better?
Sure. I'm up for some Olimar discussion. I'm actually thinking about considering it in favor of Sheik. Olimar doesn't really have much against her if you think about. Besides the difference in how well they kill, Olimar loses in every category.

In the Olimar matchup, Sheik's strength in edge-guarding combined with Olimar's horrendous recovery will keep the match-up from being heavily in Olimar's favor. Also, I remember reading somewhere (I think this thread) about Olimar having a weakspot diagonal from him, which was posted by an Olimar user.
That was me, and yes. A properly spaced nair>jab is faster than Olimar's grab. The grab has broken range, but doesn't have grab armor, and it's rather slow compared to nontether(chain, w/e) grabs. In other words, it can't be shieldgrabbed, thus rendering my favorite attack useless. :(

Considering that I've played 1000+ matches against Sheik/Zelda, I think I know a bit or two about it. ^_^
Here's the way I see a regular match between two experienced Sheik and Olimar players going:

Sheik begins by charging her needles. Olimar pulls his 3 pikmin in .6 seconds and runs over to Sheik to begin his spammage. Olimar outcamps sheik with a combination of throwing pikmin in front of Sheik to disrupt her needles, and throwing pikmin onto sheik to get her to knock them off. She either has trouble with the pikmin and Olimar lands a grab and racks 40%, or she does the right thing and begins to attack the pikmin while attacking Olimar.

She SHnair(to kill pikmin)>jab(so Olimar can't grab, as I explained earlier). This approach can be used over and over and over and over...until she messes up her spacing or she decides to do something else. It can only be countered if the sheik player or the Olimar player messes up her spacing. I see it as GaW's turtle approach, but I can at least shield grab that. >_>

Overall
On the ground, her attacks are fast enough to make it hard for Olimar to land a grab. She can't be on the ground to attack too much though. She can only sprinkle them in. She has to approach via the air before she can attack. Otherwise, Olimar will spam his fast fsmashes and grabs until she is forced to jump. This is where Sheik shines against Olimar's aerial defense.

As you may already know, Olimar's aerials are pretty good. Compared with the other characters, they've got good speed, damage, hitstun(at least yellows do. >_>) and low knockback for stringing attacks together. They don't have very good priority though.(excluding nair) This is a very common misconception. Below, Fishkeeper Timmy summed up the physics of Olimar's pikmin attacks better than I could. This applies to ALL of Olimar's pikmin attacks: upair, dair, fair, upsmash, fsmash, dsmash, and pikmin throw. My comments are in white.

Priority...>.> It's a mix of Range, speed, and how much collision 2 hitboxes are exposed during the attack.
since pikmin have speed and range and collision 1 hitboxes, they have "priority".
I think a brief recap of how attacks work is needed.

They will "clank" only if the the two hitboxes meet at the exact same point, at the exact same time and no hurtbox is threatened. You "trade hits" when attacks hit the same place at the same time, and both hurtboxes are threatened. If two attacks meet and one hurtbox is threatened, whilst the other is not, the attack that doesn't have a threatened hurtbox wins. This is why Disjointed characters have such high priority.

Olimar's Pikmin are unique because they are the only projectiles that have a hurtbox and a hitbox. All other projectiles have no hurtbox. So, to outprioritize a Pikmin, you can't use the same approach as a projectile to clank. You have to hit the Pikmin before it hits you, which is extremely easy if you have disjointed hitboxes, but it is supremely hard if you do not.
Not exactly difficult, but it makes it a lot easier.

Actually, they have no priority because if anything hits them, they lose the clash. They even lose to poor jabs like Zamus'. The issue is hitting them. Most characters don't have the speed to hit a pikmin before it hits your hurtbox, so it seems they have huge priority.
This is what applies to sheik. The hitboxes on her attacks come out VERY quick, and makes it much easier to kill the poor pikmin and attack Olimar at the same time.
Sheik's jump and her attacks are quick enough for you to be able to time your attacks so that they'll clank with Olimar's, and go through the pikmin to hit Olimar on the other side. All but Olimar's upair. This aerial is kinda weird. It'll clank with your attacks, but since it's multihit, it'll have "priority" over your attacks for some reason. Your dair will go through it though. Strange huh?
Only characters with large disjointed hitboxes are generally capable of hitting pikmin before they can collide with your hurtboxes.
Edgeguarding

Olimar's recovery isn't very good, but it's enough to make it somewhat difficult for Sheik to edgegaurd/hog.

Olimar
-Can be edgehogged, but your timing has to be good against a good Olimar. Olimar's tether is the longest of every tether recovery in the game. This means that there's a large window of opportunity I have to latch. If you time your roll back to stage too early, I'll wait a second before I latch. On fd, Olimar can latch back to the stage from below the screen. It's that long. If you don't roll quickly enough, I'll spike you to your death. If I have a white or purple in front, I'll latch to the stage, and you'll die. If not, we both die.

-Olimar can save his second jump. He's very floaty, so most of the time, he'll be able to get back to the stage with/o having to use his second jump. This leads me to my next point.

-Olimar's whistle has super armor frames. If I'm forced to use my second jump to get back, I'm probably recovering from below. The SA in the whistle is more than enough to avoid gimping(not edgehogging) almost entirely.

-Pikmin chain gives Olimar a slight boost. Often times, this gives Olimar enough of a jump to get back to the stage without being edgehogged. It has a hitbox, and if timed right, you'll get spiked. It also has some sort of strange uber priority, where no attack will clank with it. If Olimar is hit during it though, it won't give him the priority. I'd compare it with his grab.

-Pikmin can be thrown to get you off the edge. If I've got a purple up next, it'll knock you off, clearing an open ledge for Olimar. If I've got a white, and I'm too far from the stage to make it back, I'll go ahead and throw it onto you to rack 10-25% easily.
-Regular attacks to knock you off. This is simple. If I'm close enough to attack you while you hang, I will. I'll knock you off, and latch two seconds later with my extremely long tether.

Shrinkray has a nice combo video that includes some of these tactics that I've explained above:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9qxZc67rnc

Edit: This thread should be stickied.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Olimar's whistle has super armor frames. If I'm forced to use my second jump to get back, I'm probably recovering from below. The SA in the whistle is more than enough to avoid gimping(not edgehogging) almost entirely.

I think Sheiks nair and bair last longer than the super armor frames.......am I wrong in saying this? Sorry I only have a limited experience in fighting Olimar.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If Sheik's nair or bair hits Olimar during his SA frame, it won't hit again unless you do a nair or bair again.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
If Sheik's nair or bair hits Olimar during his SA frame, it won't hit again unless you do a nair or bair again.
So can you jump off the ledge and mindgame the olimar into initiating his whistle; then bair after the SA frames, then with Sheiks fantastic recovery make it back to the stage?

-dMT-

Smash Lord
That's the idea. Personally I'd rather jump off with a weak nair anyway. It'll force a reaction from Olimar, most likely a SA whistle, and then double jump back up with a bair.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Coming back to Yoshi, I found out something that cancels her advantage from the Chainlock. If Yoshi grabs Sheik near the ledge, he can Grab Release Sheik, and follow it up with an unavoidable Fair Spike that can naturally kill fresh at 21%, Unless the sides have walls (Yoshi's Island). Even below 21%, she is prone to an easy Edgehog.

It's alittle situational yes, but still something to look out for.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Not to take away from your yoshi conversation, but...
That's the idea. Personally I'd rather jump off with a weak nair anyway. It'll force a reaction from Olimar, most likely a SA whistle, and then double jump back up with a bair.
Just be aware that your fall speed is much faster than floaty Olimar's. It'll be rather hard to force a whistle and and jump up and bair Olimar during the tiny vulnerable frames between consecutive WACs.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Sure. I'm up for some Olimar discussion.
Ur, when Tristan_win said you two, i think he meant Ankoku and me. Not that you can't talk in here, but you popping up out of nowhere in other mainers' threads is too weird to be doing as often as you do it.

Nair>jab is unstoppable. So is nair >grab. DanGR has been messing up my spacing a lot when i've done nair> jab and tried to make it loop, either i'm rusty or he's learned something.

Anywhoo, if you know that nair>jab and nair>grab is unstoppable, you'll probably beat any Olimar you meet in tournament. They'll just be blindsided. And confused.

But technically, the matchup is much harder for Sheik after both Olimar and Sheik know about the nair to jab.

Sheik can definitely beat Olimar, but it's not in Sheik's favor. DanGR has a bit of a personal stake when he says that. So do i, when i oppose it i guess, but Olimar's options always tend to outcount Sheik's, because Olimar is playing defense and Sheik is playing offense. (And he floats out of tiltlocks and juggles like a mofo)

Tristan_win

Not dead.
So I've read everyone post like twice now and it seems everyone here seem to think that Sheik short hop nair to jab is like the flawless approach against Olimar but as nice as this approuch is I've fought olimar players who easily stop it by just step into it and usmashing

Sheik Nair does not beat the usmash and thus Sheik doesn't have a solid approach.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm pretty sure nair does beat upsmash. You just have to use it quicker. Even if it doesn't, (which I'm pretty sure it does) you can substitute it in for a fair.

Edit: The point of the nair and fair isn't to hit Olimar. It's to kill the pikmin that might be used to retaliate-the upsmash or fsmash pikmin. Both nair and fair, if timed well, should kill the pikmin. The jab is for the shield grab, if Olimar chooses to use that instead.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Everyone always ignores the Yoshi's :(
It's not that we are ignoring him we just don't know enough about him.

Every Yoshi I fight I either crush horrible or I barely lose large in part to my lack of experience of a Yoshi of that caliber and from those few encounter I do have with a Yoshi are so short lived that I'm unable to get a great grasp of the match up in general.

All I do know is that my traditional Sheik fighting style make the match up not greatly in Sheik favor.

edit: More like I don't know anything about him. I can't say for the other sheiks

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Tristan_win, you're right, it's not a silver bullet. That's why the matchup isn't in Sheik's favor, like DanGR thinks. (he doesn't say it outright but that's what he thinks).

The silver-bullet-like thing is that nair-hitting shield starts a true combo. It's extremely bizarre, but nair hitting shield is a combo starter.

You can't always hit his shield with nair though. Oftentimes he won't let you do it. And you can't be patient and try to wait for spacing that favors you, because it's Olimar, and Olimar spams everyone with Pikmin. That's one of the things that's weird about him. He's a counterpick against patience. Which isn't even a character, it's a principle of smash. He punishes patience.

Sorry, i went off on a tangent.
But nair to jab and nair to grab definitely do help you out.

I'm pretty sure nair does beat upsmash. You just have to use it quicker. Even if it doesn't, (which I'm pretty sure it does) you can substitute it in for a fair.

Edit: The point of the nair and fair isn't to hit Olimar. It's to kill the pikmin that might be used to retaliate-the upsmash or fsmash pikmin. Both nair and fair, if timed well, should kill the pikmin. The jab is for the shield grab, if Olimar chooses to use that instead.
^^disagree. If you just landed in front of Olimar without nair or fair, the total lack of shield stun would surely make you fail.

I dunno if nair beats upsmash. If you have to use the opening frame of nair to beat upsmash, that would defeat the purpose anyway. You can't possibly pull that off everytime.

As i have recently discovered, you can't use fair instead of nair. You should remember this DanGR i was complaining the other day about it. Either fair has landing lag (i should know this piece of trivia for sure) or fair doesn't create enough shieldstun. Either way, Olimar can punish shielded fair->jab with a jab of his own.

Top Bottom