• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ Zelda Q & A / FAQs / Directory ~

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
It's up to DM zeldspazz as he runs the tourney thread. Did I ever reply to the wall messages you sent me? I can't remember

zeldspazz

Smash Master
It's up to DM zeldspazz as he runs the tourney thread. Did I ever reply to the wall messages you sent me? I can't remember
It wasnt a wall :p I asked 1 more question after you answered the glitchy one that was unanswered, but you dont have to it wasnt important >.<

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Yet she still gains all the lag of a sweetspot if she hits someone's shield with Dair. It's like the move was created to increase Zelda's vulnerability from below.
naw thats just Sakurai being secretly jealous of Zeldas boots.

I'd suggest first going to FD and learning to ledgewarp there. It's actually pretty easy since the ground has marks almost exactly where you need to activate FW and direct it completely sideways to succeed. After that go to Norfair. When you can do it there you've learned it on two stages that are probably the easiest and the hardest ones. After that just start practising it in other places, starting from those that it'll probably be the most useful (I highly recommend learning BF pretty early).
ew FD, i hate that stage, but oh well *off to practice*

sniperworm

Smash Ace
Yeah I can understand that. Probably won't do that for a long time.
Until next time that you get that urge to win ... perhaps next HSI?

Or maybe you'll catch that deadly disease that I have and your MK will forever disappear into the annals of Hawaii Smash. Beware the deadly disease known as sandbagging!

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Is Zelda a bad character on Wi-Fi? I'm leaning towards yes. But I'm not sure. Help!
That entirely depends on how much lag you have. If both you and your opponent have a good connection, the effect is borderline negligable. However, if you happen to have very noticeable lag, then it has its pros and cons. On the plus side, it's easier to land USmashes and DSmashes and other quick moves. However, you have an even tougher time landing lightning kicks as a result, and in addition Zelda is even more likely to be juggled. Although it's slightly easier to do jump-cancelled Nayru's ooS, overall, though, I'd say the effect is mildly detrimental (assuming that you have lag).

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
her aerial game becomes even worse due to lack of precision, but her ground game becomes a little harder to avoid.
Worse in a real big way?

And is her ground game majorly affected? Or just a bit? Does it the ground advantage weigh up with the aerial disadvantage? :confused: :dizzy:

Edit:
Also, someone from another forum said this:

"it is a good attack, this is why you're stupid"

About Zelda's... *Drumroll...*

Nayru's Love. Yes. I'm not sure what I should say to him. What should I say? lol

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I recall there being something called "Love Jump" involving Nayru's love moving or something, and something about Up-B having something similar to this. How do I perform this Love Jump?

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
SinkingHigher said:
By performing specials after jumping from a "tumble" animation, Zelda's momentum is given a boost and transferred into the special. Love Jumps cause you to move in an upward direction at great speed, while you still retain the ability to recover with FW

Love Jumps, or Nayru's Jumps, can be a GREAT tool for recovery. Jump and immediately hit neutral B. The longer you wait after jumping, the higher you go, but if you don't wait long enough, you just fall. Timing can get a little irritating, but once you understand how this works, it's incredibly simple.
By flicking left or right when in the "jumping" section of the move, and completely releasing the joystick, Zelda will move (again, depending on when you press B) up to a full horiztontal Farore's Wind.
That's from the Zelda/Sheik guide that's stickied to the Zelda board. Hope that helps.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Is Zelda a bad character on Wi-Fi? I'm leaning towards yes. But I'm not sure. Help!
Minus landing LKs (it's pretty much impossible in lag.... -_-), Zelda's good on wifi, imo. Maybe I'm influenced by the fact that Pikachu is worse online, but online, my Zelda is just about as good as my Pika depending on the MU. Offline, my Pika >>>>>>>>>>>>> my Zelda.

It's a lot easier to just spam smashes online. Punishing on wifi might as well just not exist (lag!!! :mad:), so you can get away with a lot more than you'd be able to offline. Same can't really be said to the same degree for other characters since Zelda's smashes are just so.... spammable, lol.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
I dunno guys I dont have a problem landing LKs on wifi. Im just used to it I guess? Obviously its harder, but its not extreme imo

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I think she's a fish out of water in lag for me personally - but only when the lag is pretty bad like international connections and such. I'd much rather be a character with a good projectile game or someone with incredibly fast attacks like Snake's Ftilt or godlike jabs... *cue Falco >.>*

I think she has precision needs that just can't be fulfilled properly. Hunting for Uairs, sweetspots, recovering to the ledge, aerial mobility etc I find are all that much trickier to control (though I'm alright with landing a few LKs every now and then). Din's fire is alright though for the first few matches!

Fsmash is spammable but it tends to be a safe spammable option offline anyways >.> whiff anything else and the horror begins...! It gets slightly worse when 90% of the cast are going to attempt to outprojectile/outcamp you anyways so powershielding and weaving through is non-existent, aka the ganondorf wifi effect, except with a lighter ganondorf :mad:

I still spam dtilt though... that's my trump card! :)

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Until next time that you get that urge to win ... perhaps next HSI?

Or maybe you'll catch that deadly disease that I have and your MK will forever disappear into the annals of Hawaii Smash. Beware the deadly disease known as sandbagging!
Yeah if I ever want to win that badly again.

Probably won't ever sandbag at tournaments to the point where I want to lose though.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
I have a question - can you SDI normally when the C-Stick is set to attack?
No-one answered this so I'll see if I still remember correctly how DI works.

The SDI you do with the C-stick is only dependent on the fact that the game registers your movement input (in fact it registers a button press and a movement). Because of this it should work perfectly identical when the C-stick is set to smashes and when it's set to attack.

It's also good to remember that you can't QCDI with C-stick, so don't do that.

Completely useless fact: SDI with C-stick is actually called TDI

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
They do comparable damage.

Neither is easier to sweetspot, really, but bair comes out faster than fair does. Personally, that makes it easier to hit with for me, but that could just be personal preference.

Popertop

Smash Champion
ah. ok.

is it better to punish airdodge with Uair or Fair/Bair?

or is Nair a better option altogether?

should I just wait until they airdodge close to the ground and charge Usmash or Nair > Usmash?

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
Nair is good to punish airdodges if your both in the air and they are on the sides of you, and you can't reach the ground fast enough to Usmash them.

Usmash is for if they airdodge closer to the ground

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Bair has negligably more knockback than Fair, and the same damage. Really, save for Bair being faster and hitting the other side, both moves are almost the same.

As for which one is easier to sweetspot, neither is tbh. It just comes down to which you feel is easier to sweetspot.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Bair is viable OoS making it far better than Fair. It also ends faster........use bair far more than you use fair.

sniperworm

Smash Ace
I caught that disease before the HSI.

Odo Land is contaminated with the Sandbagging Virus. :/
Apparently you did. You were sandbagging and you didn't even know it, lol.

Probably won't ever sandbag at tournaments to the point where I want to lose though.
You're obviously not planning on getting to the point that I'm at then...

ah. ok.

is it better to punish airdodge with Uair or Fair/Bair?

or is Nair a better option altogether?

should I just wait until they airdodge close to the ground and charge Usmash or Nair > Usmash?
Depends on what you're in position for really. If you think you can land the Uair/Fair/Bair and it's at a kill percentage, it's probably worth attempting. Nair is the safest easiest option to eat airdodges but it doesn't have nearly as much reward. Basically just do whatever you happen to be setup for.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
You lot are a nice bunch, so perhaps you can help me out with a little problem.

I can't beat Meta Knight. Like, at all. Subpar ones are doable for me, but good ones... I just can't win against them. I get 2-stocked or even 3-stocked against them all the time. I tried looking at the matchup discussion, but most of it said 'Try to punish his mistakes with [insert move here]'. But good MKs don't make many mistakes. How do I go about having at least a chance of winning?

And don't say 'pick another character' please.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Pick another character.

I'm not trying to be funny by saying that, but matchup-wise, MK will ALWAYS beat Zelda. He has options that beat everything she can do, so the only way you have a chance of winning is if your opponent makes mistakes and you punish them hard. On top of not making any mistakes yourself. The matchup is seriously that bad.

MK is the best character in the game, and Zelda is near the bottom. That's just how it goes..... pick up a secondary that has a better chance against him if it's that much of a problem (which it should be, considering he's the best and most commonly used character).

Some characters to consider: MK, Snake, Pikachu, and ICs all do decently well vs. MK (by that, I mean the matchup is ~45:55 or better). I've heard ZSS does all right as well. There may be more, but those are just the ones I know off the top of my head.

MrEh

Smash Hero
IC's can beat MK if you have the incredible amount of effort required to playing them.

Snake can beat MK with some difficulty, but bear in mind that Snake's are everywhere. And I'm sure every competent MK knows how to beat Snake at this point.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I like to make out with my oponents if they are beating me.

it's a pretty legit way to win.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Pick another character.

I'm not trying to be funny by saying that, but matchup-wise, MK will ALWAYS beat Zelda. He has options that beat everything she can do, so the only way you have a chance of winning is if your opponent makes mistakes and you punish them hard. On top of not making any mistakes yourself. The matchup is seriously that bad.

MK is the best character in the game, and Zelda is near the bottom. That's just how it goes..... pick up a secondary that has a better chance against him if it's that much of a problem (which it should be, considering he's the best and most commonly used character).

Some characters to consider: MK, Snake, Pikachu, and ICs all do decently well vs. MK (by that, I mean the matchup is ~45:55 or better). I've heard ZSS does all right as well. There may be more, but those are just the ones I know off the top of my head.
I won against a MK with Zelda only because he accidentally SDed one of his stocks, lol.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
OK guys, another question. When using Zelda in training mode, I discovered that if you jump then use Nayru's Love or Din's Fire, it immediately cancels your upwards momentum and you start going downwards (kinda like double jump cancelling in Melee). Better yet, if you land while in the cooldown lag from Din's, the attack immediately auto-cancels and you can attack straight out of it.

Now, does this have any practical uses? Nayru's Love can be used faster ooS because of this; does anyone know anything else it could be used for? (I'm assuming that this is already incredibly well known)

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
I do this all the time ^^
I use it when I space with Din's and to mess up my opponent's rhythm with Naryu's.
(Pulling them from one side of me to the other)

Pick another character.

That's why I have Pikachu ^^
Though when I know the MetaKnight is worse than me I make them feel bad by beating them with Zelda.

Top Bottom