• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ Zelda Q & A / FAQs / Directory ~

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Better yet, if you land while in the cooldown lag from Din's, the attack immediately auto-cancels and you can attack straight out of it.
Not true.

I still have to test that more, but it doesn't auto-cancel. I'm not even sure if it has less cooldown lag (it feels like it, but I'm not 100% sure). Definitely doesn't auto-cancel, though; you still suffer massive amounts of cooldown lag if you land while doing Din's.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Well, at the very least I think it has less ending lag. Maybe someone could frame test this to prove it?

Still, does the vertical momentum cancelling have many uses, or is it just fancy?

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Now, does this have any practical uses? Nayru's Love can be used faster ooS because of this; does anyone know anything else it could be used for? (I'm assuming that this is already incredibly well known)
It can be used to immediately Din or Nayru from the ledge (ledgejump and then press b or =>b) or to mess with people's minds. That's pretty much it.

TheMike

Smash Lord
Besides Dtilt, what are the other Zeldaás Attacks that trips the opponent?
And what are the best Follow-ups for all of them??

thx ^^

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Dtilt is the only one worth relying on for a trip and it's percent and decay dependant. If in grab range I'd personally followup with a grab, if not then followup with a ranged move like fsmash (or something else if the opponent SDIs well). If they don't trip but are simply stunned then followup with a dsmash or another dtilt! :)

Jab, Sourspots and Nayru's can trip because all have very weak hits... but the trip rates are extreeeeeemely low.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Ok guys, I dunno if this is known but it struck me as really weird. I was fighting a Pit, and I was on Battlefield. I was on the very right side of the lefthand platform (if that makes sense) and Pit was slightly to my right underneath. I did a dtilt, and he tripped as if I was right next to him. I dunno if everyone but me knew it could happen, but I just thought Id throw it out there.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I'm not surprised. I don't think it matters where you hit someone with dtilt.... they always have a chance of tripping (although hitting their feet has a higher chance, I'd assume).

Darkmusician

Smash Master
Ok guys, I dunno if this is known but it struck me as really weird. I was fighting a Pit, and I was on Battlefield. I was on the very right side of the lefthand platform (if that makes sense) and Pit was slightly to my right underneath. I did a dtilt, and he tripped as if I was right next to him. I dunno if everyone but me knew it could happen, but I just thought Id throw it out there.
lol Odo was right. Zelda you witch.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
Yeah you don't have to aim for their legs - if you stand on the side platforms of battlefield and someone tall like DK stands below, you can dtilt his head and he'll still trip!

sniperworm

Smash Ace
Yeah you don't have to aim for their legs - if you stand on the side platforms of battlefield and someone tall like DK stands below, you can dtilt his head and he'll still trip!
A lot like how Diddy can bean you in the face with a banana peel to trip you...

Sakurai you *******.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
i'm pretty sure we can camp better than they can.
Lucario can outcamp Zelda. x.o

However, I don't have much Lucario experience at all (much less with Zelda), so. :( Sorry I can't really help, chok.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
yeah i was insinuating he should change to sheik. :3

stay away from his fsmash, usmash, jab, fair, uair, and bair and you should be good.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
lol ughh but lucario still kinda beats sheik too

sigh do i have to pick snake/ddd for this guy lol

i wanna learn how to do it with sheik/zelda!

ahhh i can kinda sorta do it with sheik but its tough to not run into fsmash sometimes. i guess i should needle more

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I don't mind fighting Lucario as Zelda... :/

We'll discuss that matchup next if you want chok... I've got the ICs planned as well.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
thanks. ic's is pretty fun too, but i dont really have trouble against them

zelda vs luc would be really helpful :)

zeldspazz

Smash Master
I think only on Wario RQ. I got some sweet KOs off a Wario on wifi cus of that too XD

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
Grab release => lightning kick is true combo only against Wario. At least based on the info we currently have.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Remember that in actual play, it's very hard to grab a competent Wario with any character. And with Zelda having one of the slowest grabs in the game, grab releases should not be relied on. At all.

Popertop

Smash Champion
lol ughh but lucario still kinda beats sheik too

sigh do i have to pick snake/ddd for this guy lol

i wanna learn how to do it with sheik/zelda!

ahhh i can kinda sorta do it with sheik but its tough to not run into fsmash sometimes. i guess i should needle more
for Fsmash, you can jump and needle him, or jump over and fair/nair him

to punish rolls you can hyphen and boost smash him

MrEh

Smash Hero
Or you could just Naryu's every time he rolls into you.

That's like, the best use for that move. Punishing rolls.

LLeer

Smash Rookie
Zelda's Din's Fire/Nayru's Love

Alright, I'm not exactly someone who mains Zelda so I'm not here to argue about whether it's a good or bad move.

Firstly; I'm rather new here (obviously) so I'm not certain as to whether I'm in the right place-- but I figured since I'm having an issue with Zelda I ought to ask the lovely people in the Zelda sub. Which is you guys!
Secondly, I'm not quite sure if this type of thread is one that arises often. Please bear with me.

Now, I'm having an issue with a friend of mine. He spams Din's Fire and Nayru's Love. A lot. Friend B complains, Friend A claims it's just strategy and that Friend B's inflating it. I'm not one to moan about spam to no avail, so rather than arguing with the kid I'd prefer to come out the winner despite his awful overusage of B/Forward B.

Ness's short limbs make things difficult and Link's projectiles are simply obsolete (though that's a match-up I try my best to avoid).
So, are there any ways to punish this guy? Any holes, other than the obvious (dodge/airdodge/roll, and PSI Magnet for Ness)?

tl;dr: combatting spam

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
This probably should've gone in the Q&A thread but w/e. I'll help you.

To protect against Din's, then just airdodge at the right time. Be careful though because she can sometimes bait an airdodge early and blast you after (Din's range is hax lol). Most characters also have at least one aerial that clashes with it and leaves you undamaged; find out which ones they are and use them. Then try and get her during the cooldown.

Nayru's is a good move, but it has one big flaw: large cooldown lag. Thus, a good way of getting around it is to try and bait it, then punish it. Seriously, you have like 30 frames afterwards to do whatever you want. Its range isn't exactly spectacular either, so long range moves work too.

Hope that helped. :)

xxmaliciousxx

Smash Cadet
Nayru's Love is not used to reflect every single projectile or attack that comes at Zelda due to its lag. It is meant to use strategically against certain moves at certain times. Though, a good thing about this move, unlike many other characters' moves, is that it stops both projectiles and physical attacks.

Din's Fire is easy to prevent also. Dodging on air and land is the easiest way to prevent this move. And while Din's fire is traveling, the enemy could just move up to Zelda and punish her (LuigiTornado or MachTornado as examples). Din's Fire is used to hurt enemies while they are trying to recover (especially vulnerable recoveries such as ROB, Pit, Ganondorf, etc.).

The moves are both good. They have their strengths and weaknesses.

And bottom line:
If a player cannot prevent or stop one of Zelda's moves, it's THEIR own fault. Not the character or the other player.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I'm going to move these posts into the Q&A because this doesn't really deserve it's own thread :)

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
What would you guys consider to be Zelda's worst move? As in, the move that has the least utility to Zelda's game. Personally, I'm not sure. Probably Dair, since it's hard to sweetspot it most of the time.

Oh, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't say Down B.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Are you forgetting our matches Tiger? Dair is **** ^_^

Seriously though, I think that fair is Zelda's worse move, purely because we already have bair, why do we need another move that is exactly the same but is harder to sweetspot, and has more startup? Also, basically because I dont like Sheik at all, Id say make Sheik and Zelda 2 seperate characters and give Zelda a really good downb. Just my opinion, because Im sure a majority of the people like having Sheik as an option.

FYI, a nonsweetspotted dair can stil gimp some recoveries at high percentages. And I truly dont find hard to sweetspot at all.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
She has a rather akward playstyle imo. She also doesnt seem to kill very easily.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Ftilt is Zelda's most useless move.

Dair gets a slight edge over Ftilt because it has ****speed properties. If you don't know what dickspeed is, that's fine. I plan on making a topic about it later.

Top Bottom