• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why "splitting" in tournaments should not be allowed

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Mew2King: I lost money to split... It's your own f*cking choice remember? If Inui or who ever forced me to basically pay him I'd punch him in the face until he was begging to drive me home.
Inui is big and black. He's known to be a member of many brutal and lethal gangs. I'd think twice about threatening him, even over the internet. This is THE Inui we're talking about man. Ever wonder what "Sadaharu" means? Yeah, you don't want to know.

Bailey

Smash Hero
I find it easiest just to hand out the cash to whoever places in the spots that get paid out. Whatever they do with the money isn't my business.

I'm for people doing what makes them happy, just as long as it's legal and non-strapping a guy into a chair and attaching a car battery to his nipples.

EDIT: Unless it's EE

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
I don't see anything wrong with splitting. As long as the gf are not stupid like brawl jiggs dittos or CF dittos.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
I know M2K. Also, it's not even the money issue. If people split the money but played their matches with the tenacity and vigor that they would have if they weren't splitting the money, then it would be ok. I just don't think it can happen unless splitting the money was banned.

I agree the real issue is the enforcing of such a rule. If someone could propose a method that would prevent people from half-assing their matches just to split the cash, then that would be great though. Great opening post by the way.

Sliq

Smash Master
Mew2King: I lost money to split... It's your own f*cking choice remember? If Inui or who ever forced me to basically pay him I'd punch him in the face until he was begging to drive me home.
Wisdom only a ****** could offer.

Lord Yawgmoth

Smash Apprentice
Just have the TOs buy visa gift cards. Problem solved.
True,

Also just add this to your ruleset:

You may play your matches however you wish as long as both players agree on it, otherwise you will play according to the following standard rules. However there are two rules that you cannot change, even if agreed upon:

1) The time limit for the match cannot go above 8 minutes.

2) You do not have to tell the truth in regards to splitting money. If you say that you will split with your opponent, you must play the match, or a player may forfeit. Whoever won the match is free to do whatever they want with their winnings, and is encouraged to keep it, regardless of any 'deals' they may have made.

Put it blatantly in the rules, and suddenly your not a bad guy for taking advantage of every rule.... and eventually everyone will grow tired of it.

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
i remember my split story

**clouds appear**

Gametable tournament i beat jman in winners finals then he had to fight Snakeee in losers finals
Snakeee won so Jman asked me to split 3 ways i was a weenie because i thought i was going to lose to snakeee so i said "OHKAYYY" so me and snakeee played it out i ended up winning 3-1

1st Place Prize - 245$
Split Profit - 114$

Moral Of The Story : dont be afraid of no nigqa in tournament matches lol
Lol anti that was really funny when you beat jman with fully charged d3 f-smash xD.

Anyway, I splitting is up to the players, and I agree they should play it out, especially if its a big tourney.

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
Inui is big and black. He's known to be a member of many brutal and lethal gangs. I'd think twice about threatening him, even over the internet. This is THE Inui we're talking about man. Ever wonder what "Sadaharu" means? Yeah, you don't want to know.
hehe it means gang banger in japanese, true story.

Hax

Smash Champion
i think the reason people split is because brawl is a joke game only worth playing for money

to anyone who disagrees; it's ok - i understand you suck at melee.

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
i think the reason people split is because brawl is a joke game only worth playing for money

to anyone who disagrees; it's ok - i understand you suck at melee.
QFT Brawl is really for the money. People should stop denying at this point lol.

Palpi

Smash Hero
People go to tournaments to win money, yes. Except for 34, he goes to tournaments to falcon punch. Anyways, the Finals consists of the 2 best players who attended the tournament. Obviously one of them is going to lose, so they decide, hey instead of one of us winning more than another, lets split and still play. This ruins the whole competitive aptitude of the finals. Generally there should be a winner and a runner-up, not people who decide to split the winnings.

The finals of tournaments are supposed to have all of the hype, not be anti-climactic.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
People go to tournaments to win money, yes. Except for 34, he goes to tournaments to falcon punch. Anyways, the Finals consists of the 2 best players who attended the tournament. Obviously one of them is going to lose, so they decide, hey instead of one of us winning more than another, lets split and still play. This ruins the whole competitive aptitude of the finals. Generally there should be a winner and a runner-up, not people who decide to split the winnings.

The finals of tournaments are supposed to have all of the hype, not be anti-climactic.
The finals ideally have the two best players. The problem with Brawl is that there's always a chance of tripping into Ike's forward smash, and things like that may result in the two best not making it to the finals. Or maybe one just had a bad match. Still, you get my point.

But yeah, agreed. I mean, does splitting occur in any other competitive sport or game? I'm assuming it appears in other games, but could you imagine splitting in, say... the superbowl?

Ryan-K

Smash Master
you dont win anything besides money in a smash tournament which can be split

superbowl gives you a trophy and extreme fame

if anything splitting money shows people are willling to sacrifice some to give to their friend or whoever since obviously the person who gets first is losing money and 9/10 times its obvious whos gonna win

stop being stupid, if you hate splitting so much then go win a tourney and dont split at the grand finals, bfd

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
you dont win anything besides money in a smash tournament which can be split

superbowl gives you a trophy and extreme fame

if anything splitting money shows people are willling to sacrifice some to give to their friend or whoever since obviously the person who gets first is losing money and 9/10 times its obvious whos gonna win

stop being stupid, if you hate splitting so much then go win a tourney and dont split at the grand finals, bfd
Who's being stupid again?

And I never said I hate splitting. I don't agree with it, but I don't necessarily hate it or think it should not be allowed.
Don't assume things before you get all hostile up in everyone's face and stuff, brah.

Hax

Smash Champion
Who's being stupid again?

And I never said I hate splitting. I don't agree with it, but I don't necessarily hate it or think it should not be allowed.
Don't assume things before you get all hostile up in everyone's face and stuff, brah.
shut up brawl player

-Red-

Smash Cadet
I care about nothing but the money, and if I feel I have a less then 60% chance to win the finals I will happily split.

Hax

Smash Champion
not that anyone in this thread has ever made it to grand finals LOL

except for me

D

Deleted member

not that anyone in this thread has ever made it to grand finals LOL

except for me
I've won more tournaments than you! By a lot!

*angry kirby dance*

I have a solution to splitting guys.

Stop!

Complaining!

it really is that easy.

:)

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I've won more tournaments than you! By a lot!

*angry kirby dance*

I have a solution to splitting guys.

Stop!

Complaining!

it really is that easy.

:)
I have a solution to you.

GTFO of my thread!

It really is that easy.

In other news, I love everybody.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
This subject has been brought up and discussed before.

The point is that everyone plays the game for different reasons. The tournament scene isn't "made" in a way that forces players to entertain viewers. When you give the director your $10, you're paying to compete for a percentage of a pot. That's it. You don't deserve anything else. You're not entitled any more rights. Everything from that point on is a privilege.

The problem is that players create this fantasy of the gaming world where everything is epic, intense, and overwhelming. That's not reality. For some, being a professional gamer is a hobby. For others its just another source of income.

*edit* yes, i'm saying you're all wrong lol
So far, no one has responded to this statement.

Lord Yawgmoth

Smash Apprentice
This subject has been brought up and discussed before.

The point is that everyone plays the game for different reasons. The tournament scene isn't "made" in a way that forces players to entertain viewers. When you give the director your $10, you're paying to compete for a percentage of a pot. That's it. You don't deserve anything else. You're not entitled any more rights. Everything from that point on is a privilege.

The problem is that players create this fantasy of the gaming world where everything is epic, intense, and overwhelming. That's not reality. For some, being a professional gamer is a hobby. For others its just another source of income.

*edit* yes, i'm saying you're all wrong lol
Wow, couldnt have said it better myself.
So, you don't have the right to split the pot then?

("THATS NOT WHAT I MEANT!!")

Assumably you are adressing the point that people aren't entitled to, or even deserve to watch epic battles between top players.

that is true, You are paying for a chance to compete.

.....but the tournament organizer has the option to do anything in his power to try and make his event exciting.

That is his right.

And I am sure most people won't complain,
because truth be told.... PEOPLE LIKE watching matches between top competitors.

OMGZ!!!

Edit: Yes. I do think you are completely and utterly wrong sir. But I respect your oppinion as a person, and as a great contributor to smashboards, and the tourny scene. (Also, I don't really care too much, but there are people who do. Split if you want to)

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
I'm not even sure if your post is worth responding to.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
i am sorry but using subjective terms such as "epic" doesn't make your argument any stronger considering not everyone wants to see player x vs player y.

why the hell should I have to do something after I get first place? everyone else should shut the hell up and go home and stop telling me what to do with the lunch money they gave me

people who didn't win aren't entitled to anything lol are you serious, you earn your prize, this isn't preschool with some consolation prize for "participating" or some bs. congratulations, you didn't win, now go home or play friendlies and stop telling me what to do with the money you didn't win. a tournament organizer is supposed to help a tournament run smoothly and efficiently, everything else is done by the players. The only people entitled to anything are the people who score in the money.

Top Bottom