• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why "splitting" in tournaments should not be allowed

Dojo

Smash Champion
Mainly because 90% of the boards is littered by noobs. But yes I agree, they have become super strict now. I got a warning for using my sig in a small post...

Mith_

Smash Champion
A this one tournament these two guys were going to split the pot but didn't make it to finals. They faced each other in semi-finals and sandbagged the whole thing (Ganon vs DK on Mario Bros wth?). Then when one went on to finals he ended up losing LOL and had to split 30 bucks xD.

soap

Smash Hero
A this one tournament these two guys were going to split the pot but didn't make it to finals. They faced each other in semi-finals and sandbagged the whole thing (Ganon vs DK on Mario Bros wth?). Then when one went on to finals he ended up losing LOL and had to split 30 bucks xD.
get *****. thats why u dont agree to the split until the finals

ANTi_

Smash Hero
i remember my split story

**clouds appear**

Gametable tournament i beat jman in winners finals then he had to fight Snakeee in losers finals
Snakeee won so Jman asked me to split 3 ways i was a weenie because i thought i was going to lose to snakeee so i said "OHKAYYY" so me and snakeee played it out i ended up winning 3-1

1st Place Prize - 245$
Split Profit - 114$

Moral Of The Story : dont be afraid of no nigqa in tournament matches lol

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Let me point out that the real cost of splitting is that the professional leagues will never take a game seriously when its top players are colluding. I don't think we ever really recovered with MLG (though there are other reasons there) after they found out that Chu and Ken were just screwing around and playing out the finals match with alts. I cannot begin to tell you how bad that was for the game.

You can say players' rights all you want, and you're right. You can say it's unenforceable, and that's mostly right. But in the end, the real cost is the aura of professionalism. Professional gaming will not take off so long as a splitsies mentality is present. No one wants to watch a match where players are not trying their hardest.

KishPrime

BRoomer
No, they didn't ruin it, but the shock from the MLG staff was huge. It was a giant problem for them, because they were moving in the direction of televised events with commentary. How the heck are you supposed to get people excited about their product when the players are clearly faking the finals?

M2K, we've pointed out before the Microsoft logo on the MLG list of sponsors. I think we're all aware of what is going on there.

Azen Zagenite

Smash Champion
=^_^=

Don't turn into another Ken, M2K! It makes the whole community look bad when the top player is hated/disliked by the majority. (although I think a lot of that came from manacloud LOL)

KishPrime

BRoomer
I heard there's a chance for a free pickle in every jar of pickles.

I plan on buying every jar of pickles I can until I find one.

>_>

Joshu

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sometimes at Burger King you can get a free chicken stick in every box of chicken sticks. No joke it's happened to me a few times it's great.

Also Azen is right, he is a bundle of rainbows and sunshines and everyone likes him.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Let me point out that the real cost of splitting is that the professional leagues will never take a game seriously when its top players are colluding. I don't think we ever really recovered with MLG (though there are other reasons there) after they found out that Chu and Ken were just screwing around and playing out the finals match with alts. I cannot begin to tell you how bad that was for the game.

You can say players' rights all you want, and you're right. You can say it's unenforceable, and that's mostly right. But in the end, the real cost is the aura of professionalism. Professional gaming will not take off so long as a splitsies mentality is present. No one wants to watch a match where players are not trying their hardest.
Truer words have never been spoken.

So Ken and Chu ruined MLG? God dammit, I was just getting good as MLG 06 was nearing it's end =(

I hope MLG picks up Brawl. I won't split at any MLG. I shouldn't even be doing it ever, I lost so much money to that.
I'm indifferent to splitting, just don't **** around in the finals. That **** is boring as hell to watch.

i heard there's a chance brawl will be in MLG. MLG bought smashboards. I want it to happen, I plan on winning every event.
Not if I have anything to say about it LOL jk I'm no NL

Don't turn into another Ken, M2K! It makes the whole community look bad when the top player is hated/disliked by the majority. (although I think a lot of that came from manacloud LOL)

lol OC3

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer

Top poker players split all the time....right on camera. It doesn't ruin it. People play poker/watch poker because...gasp....they LIKE poker. It's fun. I don't make or lose money if Negreanu splits with men nguyen. I just want to watch them play. It's fun.

the same is true with smash. I don't care if m2k splits with azen. I just want to see them play. I play because I LIKE SMASH. I've lost more money than I have won playing this game (although i used to bet kids for favors/extra chores/etc at the group home i worked at and won so many hours of work...oh and i'd make them do pushups..rofl). Money is the last thing I'm thinking about in smash. for the top players that do have to think about the cost of plane tickets twice a month, I don't give a rat's *** if they want to chop.

We all know how grueling a two-day smash event can be. at 2am when it's time for absolute finals, and every one is tired, and half the people already went home, and we all already experienced a crapton of good smashing and hanging out, I don't really care about who wins anymore. at that point, it's just fun to watch the last few matches and call it a good weekend.

KishPrime

BRoomer
I'm glad that you feel that way, but imagine if the entire final table of the WSOP was splitting. You really think that the majority of people would bother to watch? That's kind of the situation we had with Melee near the end of the game's life, and I don't think it makes professional leagues very feasible.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Don't make me pick up Diddy...
Wouldn't work. Mashing the B button doesn't produce the same results. D:

We had the top two at our most recent tournament split. They weren't even going to play, originally. Really pissed me off, because I had used that tournament to get some exp for my ZSS, and it cost me the chance of finally taking one of them out of tournament.

Then again, in Melee, CO went to NM, made it to top 3, and agreed to do a 3 way split and go random in finals. Wasn't really fair to them, since we had kinda *****, and they didn't even get to see good finals matches (I got Pichu and Pikachu v Ferdi's Fox and Marth, respectively. Oddly enough, they almost beat him, while my Fox got 2 stocked by his).

I 'onno, though. It's hard for me to get excited about Brawl. Like, I used to freak out and watch every video of Azen I could. Now, I haven't even watched Ninjalink v m2k, because I can't pump myself up enough to sit through it. I've been ******* around with Brawl+, and the simple additions of no tripping and added hitstun are enough to make me start talking **** again.

CHUK

Smash Ace
well if it is brawl it will be boring to watch anyways, but it is always cool to see a melee gf!...waits for infraction >.>

JFox

Smash Hero
a solution to not allowing people to split is to give the prizes in checks as opposed to cash. Splitting would be wayyy harder if people were given checks of $600-$1200. This is what I would totally do if I were running a LARGE SCALE tournament. Obviously, it would be silly to do at a bi-weekly.

Even at bi-weeklies I would still make people play out finals(they can do whatever they want with the money afterwards). I'd probably make a rule that anyone that forfeited a set would be dropped to last place. So if M2k and Azen are in grand finals, and Azen forfeits, he is dropped to last place, and third place is bumped up to second, 4th to third, and so on. This wouldn't take care of the sandbagging problem (the Ken vs Chu scenario), but it certainly would discourage not playing out sets in grand finals.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Wow @ people trying to control what others do with their money.
There would be no opportunity to win money if it wasn't for the TO holding the tournament anyways. If I ever hold a huge tournament, or any of my friends do, I'm recommending them to hand out checks.

MLG didn't let people split and that was the best, most official smash tournament(s) to date. It's been discussed before by many, including high level players, the pinnacle of smash gameply and excitement. Lots of people wish they could go back to the MLG days, since it was the most exciting and competitive. There are lots of small reasons, but splitting just adds to it.

In addition Inui, let me make my point clear. This goes for anyone else that may be getting the wrong impression also.

I don't mind splitting money. I personally don't do it, but it's not the money that bothers me. The part that bothers me is when people don't try in the Grand Finals, don't play the matches at all, or just goof off with silly characters. THAT'S what really annoys me.

If it were possible for people to split the money, AND play with the vigor and endurance that they normally would if they didn't split the money, then it would be fine. The fact is though, money is what drives most competitors in the Grand Finals. So, allowing them to split the money takes away from the competitive aspect. I think the only solution to this is to give checks instead of cash.

Furthermore, pretty much every reason to not play your hardest in Grand Finals is really unacceptable.

"I'm tired, I've been playing all day!" Duh, this is called ENDURANCE. This is the part where you make sure you keep your stamina up using energy bars/drinks, you get sleep the night before, and you train yourself to have endurance all day long. It's a vital aspect to being a competitor in ANY competition.

"We're friends and I don't want to be mean!" Ok, you're friends, cool. You are also competitors playing to win. Friends can do this and still be friends afterwards. If your "friend" gets mad at you because you won't split with them, tell your friend this:

"Get better and beat me if you want the money that bad, and also you're not really my friend if you're going to get mad over this."

"It's my money, I earned it getting here so I can do what I want with it." Ok, it's THEIR tournament. They didn't even have to hold this. You wouldn't have had the opportunity to earn this money if it weren't for the TO(s). Show some respect. Even if you get 2nd and lose 40% of what you would have gained with a split, it's better than nothing, which is what you would have gotten if the TO didn't host this. Be grateful, ****.

I guarantee if MLG EVER adds Brawl to their roster, we'll see a huge increase in levels of competition. People will want to win more, there will be more at stake. Lots of people will get a lot better, I'm positive.

It's unfortunate to say this, but a lot of people play for money nowadays. If they get it easy in the Grand Finals, there's less incentive really.

Sliq

Smash Master
I only have a problem with splitting when the finals don't even get played, or you can tell that people are sandbagging.

I do agree with Umbreon though. It does make sense to split with people you know, so it's not like you're putting money over the community, but it still is ****ty for people who lost to the splitters. It's not about the money for those that consistently place, it's about pushing yourself and testing your abilities, as well as gaining recognition from the community as well as friends and ****.

I suppose stopping splitting is pointless, because if someone enters the tournament to place high, the money doesn't matter, so whether or not he splits doesn't matter to him, so he'll play his hardest regardless. I just think it is disrespectful to the people that entered and didn't place to disregard their contribution to the tournament in terms of turnout and prize money by splitting and half assing it.

I guess this is more a character flaw in Scrooge McDucks personality than anything else, and you can't ban people from being *******s.

KishPrime

BRoomer
Wow @ people trying to control what others do with their money.
They can do whatever they want, but it still has the consequence of robbing the "sport" of its professionalism. If that's a big deal to you, then you should care. If it's not, then you shouldn't.

Kappie

Smash Apprentice
Mew2King: I lost money to split... It's your own f*cking choice remember? If Inui or who ever forced me to basically pay him I'd punch him in the face until he was begging to drive me home.

Top Bottom