• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why "splitting" in tournaments should not be allowed

crewster

Smash Lord
I totaly agree with your argument JesiahTEG, the point of a tourny is to play for a certain amount of money, it compleatly defeats the point of a tourny (to win money).

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
This was a very interesting read, I must say.

The way I see it, is the exact as Inferno 0mni's view on the matter far as the whole Tournament ordeal goes in a nutshell.

Also. If people have done travelled to get there at the Tourney & want to split just to solidify the chance of them not going home empty handed, so be it. It's highly understandable. Or in m2k's one predicament that was stated. That's all on him for putting himself in that situation of obligated debt to begin with. I personally would never be in that situation.

Lastly. If you are splitting the money. Don't let it be known. Not only is it irrelevant to everyone except the people who are sharing. But it creates this whole topic. Play your best regardless.

I don't see why you'd make it public that "Oh I don't really care about my placing, we are splitting it anyway" In the first place. Be discreet about it & Try to put on a good show at the least. It's called competitive courtesy.

If I were splitting. It would be my own personal buisness and nobody elses, unless they were involved in it with me. But hey, that's just me. Grown, mature, & cordial. There are some things that you should keep behind closed doors. This is one of them scenario's. As it does more unecassary harm then good when you let it be widely known.

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
mom took me to inuis house, like 40 min away, then KOTC is like an hour from there, but inui didnt wanna take me unless i split with both of them so i didnt have a choice. Then I was charged 20 dollars to be taken back to my house Sunday night >_> which is like 40 min away (times 2)
That's ****ing lame. But 20 dollars AFTER that?

Dude, don't let yourself be taken advantage of like that. Ask some random Smasher if you can get a ride home. I'm sure they'd say yes.

yellowroy

Smash Ace
mom took me to inuis house, like 40 min away, then KOTC is like an hour from there, but inui didnt wanna take me unless i split with both of them so i didnt have a choice. Then I was charged 20 dollars to be taken back to my house Sunday night >_> which is like 40 min away (times 2)
wow forcing you to split thats a nice friend.

The Dragon

Smash Journeyman
That's ****ing lame. But 20 dollars AFTER that?

Dude, don't let yourself be taken advantage of like that. Ask some random Smasher if you can get a ride home. I'm sure they'd say yes.
i think asking a random smasher for a housing and ride is how he got into that situation... i could be wrong, but i seriously hope that wasn't one of his friends

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
i think asking a random smasher for a housing and ride is how he got into that situation... i could be wrong, but i seriously hope that wasn't one of his friends
No, pretty sure he knows Inui. So anyways, I'm now adding Inui to my list of people I'd whole-heartedly reccomend for a retroactive abortion.

MaNg0

Smash Hero
i do c what u mean tho

splitting does take away

from the tourney

but i duno im friends

with everyone on the westcoast

so i usually split with them

MaNg0

Smash Hero
i read this thread

and decided not

to split with u

and i am gonna buy one =D <3

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'd think that splitting is perfectly fine, even if it becomes widely known. That's something I really don't mind too much.

However, out of courtesy, I'd still expect the winners to put on one hell of a show for the Grand Finals.

Personally, I feel it's an obligation that I must play as hard as I can at that time, despite "off-day-johns and the like", because I always want to give someone something intense or interesting to look at.

Put shortly, I'm okay with Splitting, so long as the splitters honestly admit to trying their very best in the matches they split for.

That Ike vs. Dedede thing does sound pretty demeaning and disrespectful to the players though. Yes, they shouldn't expect a good set for entering a tournament, but it's just something that would be nice to oblige to, ya know?

Oh, and to that thing M2K said about Inui:

Wow, now I just completely disrespect Inui. What a jerk.
Although, to be fair, I charge $5 for a full ride from anyone [provided they are within my area, or not too far out of the way] who needs one from time to time, but nothing of that magnitude.

Inui, what the hell is wrong with you?

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
If you don't allow splitting, what can you possibly do to enforce this?

One player will forfeit to the other, and they'll split their share evenly regardless.

It's completely in their control. What are you going to do? DQ them?

worldjem7

Smash Ace
This is my solution:

When 2 players have arrived to the grand finals there hasn't been declared a winner yet so how can you collect the money to split?

They have to either play their matches as intended.
Play jokes matches.
Or one of them has to forfeit.

If the players decide to joke around or forfeit their matches and just leave then they have the rest of the community to deal with.

It's not the TO the finalists should worry about, it's the community.

How irate do you think the community would be if their 2 best players spat in their faces like that?

Now, personally, like some that I've seen post, I don't mind knowing whether the finalists will split or not as long as they play their matches as intended. It's just that the fact of knowing that they're going to split kind of takes away from the experience and sort of sets up a half-expectation that the finalists will fool around while hoping they don't.

Finalists should play their matches as intended and settle whatever splitting they want behind closed doors.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
You can't control what the players do with the money they win. I always split with Atomsk because we're very good friends and doubles partners, but we still play the sets out. Nobody can stop us from splitting.

Oh, and to that thing M2K said about Inui:

Wow, now I just completely disrespect Inui. What a jerk.
Although, to be fair, I charge $5 for a full ride from anyone [provided they are within my area, or not too far out of the way] who needs one from time to time, but nothing of that magnitude.

Inui, what the hell is wrong with you?
Ugh, screw you, Jason. Why would you say stuff like that to make me look terrible? I deal with that enough with Keitaro and Kashif.

@Everyone:

First of all, Atomsk was in complete agreement with me.

KotC had a $250 prize for 1st place. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FOR OTHER PLACES.

Atomsk and I both expected to just go and split the pot.

Mew2King wanted to go.

We were obviously not going to take Mew2King if he was going to destroy our chances to win anything because of the stupid payout rules.

Mew2King was charged $20 by MasterDaveNo1/Izumi to take him home because he added literally 80 minutes to his drive home. That's very reasonable. I didn't charge Mew2King anything personally.

Jason, stop crying over it and don't say crap like that.

worldjem7

Smash Ace
I think everyone here understands that splitting is going to happen and that no one is going to stop it.
I don't think anyone here is here to argue that.

The argument is what the finalists do when they get to grand finals if they split.

Playing them out at full speed as if they didn't split = good
Joke matches or not playing the matches = bad

Another sub-argument to that would be that if the finalists do decide to split, they probably shouldn't tell everyone before they go to play their matches.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
@Everyone:

First of all, Atomsk was in complete agreement with me.

KotC had a $250 prize for 1st place. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FOR OTHER PLACES.

Atomsk and I both expected to just go and split the pot.

Mew2King wanted to go.

We were obviously not going to take Mew2King if he was going to destroy our chances to win anything because of the stupid payout rules.

Mew2King was charged $20 by MasterDaveNo1/Izumi to take him home because he added literally 80 minutes to his drive home. That's very reasonable. I didn't charge Mew2King anything personally.

Jason, stop crying over it and don't say crap like that.
I was actually thinking about this in hindsight before I read your post, and what you described is the sort of thing that crossed my mind during that time. M2K doesn't necessarily post modestly all of the time, and I should've expected it rather than jumping the gun (at the very least, take a bit of salt with what he says, not that I'm saying that anything that comes from M2K is subjective. It's just that I should've seen it coming).

Infact, my first thought was "If M2K didn't want to pay, then he could've just...ya know...NOT gone to the tournament.

And only first place prize? What the heck?

The distance thing I understand, if it's a full circle around.

Well, now I'm on the fence about you.
Although you're still a jerk in a <3 sense. [no homo]

Tink

Smash Hero
rofl, I split all the time and it should be up to the players that do it <_<....noone should be able to tell them they cant split if they want too...if 2 players agree upon playing a stage twice, its allowed and this should be as well.

ive split with friends, even though they obviously have no chance of winning, just because they made it to the finals and did a good job so deserve to be rewarded.

you shoudl def always play the matches though, thats not cool.....splitting and just calling it a day <_<.

not looking to argue, just throwing my 2 cents out there from splitting all these years.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Nice post Jesiah.

This is the main reason I decided not to split with Roy at OhSnap. After watching him handle Le Thien's Diddy (<3 Thien) in the losers, I wanted nothing more than to see if I could take him out.

I remember sitting down, and within 10 seconds he asked if I just wanted to split it. I sat there and thought about it for a bit. Roy's an awesome guy and an amazing player and I would have felt bad not to split it. But at the same time, it was ****ing 6am in the morning. I had just spent 18 hours going through a rough as hell tourney and I needed just 3 more wins to take it all. He sat there quietly, and after about a minute or so, he made my decision for me.

"Let's just play this out."

So we did and had a much more intense set than the winners finals.

I have a really strong competitive mindset and not wanting to take it all just gets boring. Although I have agreed to split a few times, I never really want to. It's like putting out all that effort for no reason. I don't feel as accomplished as I do winning it all. It was a much better feeling, and I feel like I get more out of it. I love competition, and I thrive off of it.

It's the only reason I even play smash. We first started out here betting money on 1v1's and FFA's back in the melee days, and worked our way to the competitive level we play at today. It's an exhilarating feeling, and splitting it at the end is just an insult to competition.

So I agree with you, splitting should be banned. I'd rather get 3-0'd in the Grand Finals and lose all that money than to not have played it out. It gives me something to work toward, which is what the base of competition should be. Bettering yourself.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
is there a more anti-competitive attitude than this?
Maybe in your world where mommy and daddy pay for everything this seems unfair, but in reality this is perfectly reasonable. Regardless, him knocking M2K out of the list of people he has to beat for money seems to be competitive thinking, not a lack of.

pockyD

Smash Legend
defeating people outside the context of the game itself is very non-competitive

if I want to win badly enough that, after the announcer says go, i tase my opponent, am I being competitive?

the word "competitive" is getting twisted, but in the context of this thread, I am obviously referring to the "competitive spirit" and all that junk, not just a plain simple "i want to win (or profit) by any means necessary"

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Nice post Jesiah.

This is the main reason I decided not to split with Roy at OhSnap. After watching him handle Le Thien's Diddy (<3 Thien) in the losers, I wanted nothing more than to see if I could take him out.

I remember sitting down, and within 10 seconds he asked if I just wanted to split it. I sat there and thought about it for a bit. Roy's an awesome guy and an amazing player and I would have felt bad not to split it. But at the same time, it was ****ing 6am in the morning. I had just spent 18 hours going through a rough as hell tourney and I needed just 3 more wins to take it all. He sat there quietly, and after about a minute or so, he made my decision for me.

"Let's just play this out."

So we did and had a much more intense set than the winners finals.

I have a really strong competitive mindset and not wanting to take it all just gets boring. Although I have agreed to split a few times, I never really want to. It's like putting out all that effort for no reason. I don't feel as accomplished as I do winning it all. It was a much better feeling, and I feel like I get more out of it. I love competition, and I thrive off of it.

It's the only reason I even play smash. We first started out here betting money on 1v1's and FFA's back in the melee days, and worked our way to the competitive level we play at today. It's an exhilarating feeling, and splitting it at the end is just an insult to competition.

So I agree with you, splitting should be banned. I'd rather get 3-0'd in the Grand Finals and lose all that money than to not have played it out. It gives me something to work toward, which is what the base of competition should be. Bettering yourself.
Dojo's grabbed the Smash Ball.

But in all seriousness, this. He pretty much summed up how I feel about the situation.
Especially put is the bolded part.

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
This subject has been brought up and discussed before.

The point is that everyone plays the game for different reasons. The tournament scene isn't "made" in a way that forces players to entertain viewers. When you give the director your $10, you're paying to compete for a percentage of a pot. That's it. You don't deserve anything else. You're not entitled any more rights. Everything from that point on is a privilege.

The problem is that players create this fantasy of the gaming world where everything is epic, intense, and overwhelming. That's not reality. For some, being a professional gamer is a hobby. For others its just another source of income.

*edit* yes, i'm saying you're all wrong lol
got 'emmmmmmmmmmmmm

DippnDots

Feral Youth
defeating people outside the context of the game itself is very non-competitive

if I want to win badly enough that, after the announcer says go, i tase my opponent, am I being competitive?

the word "competitive" is getting twisted, but in the context of this thread, I am obviously referring to the "competitive spirit" and all that junk, not just a plain simple "i want to win (or profit) by any means necessary"
Real world vs your fantasy world, ridiculous examples don't prove ****.

pockyD

Smash Legend
the ideal of competition (or really, almost any ideal) is itself a "fantasy", so dismissing arguments about it as "fantasy" is pretty redundant and pointless

-Ran

Smash Master
Reasons people split:
1) They always play that person. This is an understandable reason, but really, a tournament makes someone shine far better than they do in a friendly. Once you start climbing towards that final match in a tournament 'magical' things start to happen. To deprive each other of that experience, and that community of it, is a pretty huge crime.
2) You feel the other person might win. So ****ing what? If you feel that the other person is that close to your skill level, you NEED to play them. You need to see if you can make that leap from great, to best. The last rounds in a tournament is where you make your name, where you become a true competitor.
3) Too tired. Johns.
4) Too late. Johns.
5) Too sick. Johns.
6) Too Johnny. Johns.

We preach this everywhere, in every discussion in any thread, one phrase that is supposed to be the hallmark of our competitive existence:

Play to Win.

Key word. Play.

-Ran

Smash Master
I'd play him. If I managed to get to second in a tournament where he was at, that means I took out a lot of big names in the region to get to second. Gotta take that leap.

soap

Smash Hero
ya someone bumped the new york trash talk thread that ive never ever seen before and early azen posts were too funny

guess what the curse word is, its not what i thought it was

Azen Zagenite

Smash Champion
=^_^=

Smashboards used to be fun until all the mods turned into ***gots :( The rivalries among crews/states/coasts were so exciting. Now I can't even make fun of M2K without getting warned!

Top Bottom