• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is Bowser such an unpopular character choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
But Pit and Meta Knight both have swords/wings, multijumps, glide attacks, similar looking 3-hit upsmashes, similar looking dsmashes, and down taunts that involve them spreading their wings????????????????????????

Comparing Bowser and Charizard makes no sense at all

B!squick

Smash Master
But Pit and Meta Knight both have swords/wings, multijumps, glide attacks, similar looking 3-hit upsmashes, similar looking dsmashes, and down taunts that involve them spreading their wings????????????????????????

Comparing Bowser and Charizard makes no sense at all
They both have Firebreath and...

... Yeah, you're right. :/

Inaphyt

Smash Apprentice
Oh my god, Bowser isn't nice to look at? are you all gay or what. People don't pick bowser because other characters have more vibrant, interesting and unusual attacks.

Also Mario, Luigi, Dk, Captain falcon, Ganondorf, Rob, Metaknight, Fox, Falco, aswell as the majority of the cast aren't "nice to look at" lolol ... just think about it

tocador

Smash Lord
If anyone wants a less ridiculous example, it's like comparing Meta Knight and Kirby because of their up throws
But th3y b0th h5s Th3 F1rZ0rD!

People compare them because they are the both "Fire characters" of the game(fireballs dont count), and they kinda look alike. I mean, UB-B with invinci, Fat/Heavy/Underrated/Teh Fire/RocksmashFat!

Ok maybe they dont look alike at all in fighting style, but its just for the sake of it ><!

salaboB

Smash Champion
But th3y b0th h5s Th3 F1rZ0rD!

People compare them because they are the both "Fire characters" of the game(fireballs dont count), and they kinda look alike. I mean, UB-B with invinci, Fat/Heavy/Underrated/Teh Fire/RocksmashFat!

Ok maybe they dont look alike at all in fighting style, but its just for the sake of it ><!
And you can just play Charizard, he doesn't get weak after 2 minutes and force you to switch off to a character with an entirely different playstyle!!1

Popertop

Smash Champion
Guys guys, Bowser is the evolved form of Charizard.
Charizard is Fire/Flying, Bowser is Fire/Rock

Bowser's defense is also waaaay higher, caps out at 425.
He can't sweep though his speed sucks baalls.

but bowser is a puppy

B!squick

Smash Master
Guys guys, Bowser is the evolved form of Charizard.
Charizard is Fire/Flying, Bowser is Fire/Rock

Bowser's defense is also waaaay higher, caps out at 425.
He can't sweep though his speed sucks baalls-
No.

but bowser is a puppy
BOWZEEERRR!

BOWZEEERRR!

Bowser was a man,

I mean, he was a dragon man.

Or maybe he was just a giant turtle,

But he was still BOWZEEERRR!

BOWZEEERRR!

Burninating the countryside,

Burninating the peasants.

Burninating all the peoples,

And their thatched-roof COTTAGEEESSS!

THATCHED-ROOF COTTAGEEESSS!

Whoa, this has wicked dueling guitar solos.

It's like squeedly versus meedley over here...

Go squeedly!

Go squeedly!!

Squeedly wins!!!

When all the land is in ruins

And burnination has forsaken the countryside

Only one guy will remain

My money's on BOWZEEERRR!

BOWZEEERRR!

And the Bowser comes in the night . . .

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM7kh_LkuVE

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ Bowser is so scary, I'm scared to pick him. ); ♥

♣ Maybe people don't like his after lag attacks when they play him. It's been forever since I've seen anyone pick Bowser. ♥

JOE!

Smash Hero
Honestly, I think its because in kost fighters, being big=sucks

So, being the biggest carries the stigma of damage fodder...yet Bowser is Hard to KO, and has great KO potential to slap back at you <.<

salaboB

Smash Champion
Honestly, I think its because in kost fighters, being big=sucks
Performance couldn't have anything to do with it, huh.

Personally, I enjoyed playing as Bowser in Melee and he just feels too different in Brawl (His klaw feels like it's got a tiny grab box compared to what it used to have, his overall feel is just off, etc. I don't know if his hitboxes actually are that different or not, they just felt wrong to me.)

salaboB

Smash Champion
I dunno...He's aight against some top tiers...
Maybe it's solely because he's under-represented, but he hasn't even cracked the top 4 in a tournie that was big enough to be currently listed by Ankoku. If he has good matchups against top tiers, someone should get out there and beat some up -- at least once, off the shock value of it.

Popertop

Smash Champion
Potemkin Disagrees!
this.

in most fighters the big characters are the jokes of the whole cast.

most times they don't really have any combos
and they just get *****.
sure they are strong, but strength doesn't matter
when you are getting 100%'ed every match

on the flip side though....

a top tier heavy is ****ing scary as hell,
and it feels mega cheap.
not only do they have loads of health and strength,
but they get combos and mobility too?
it's unfair almost
it's fair because they get the short end of the stick in every other circumstance :laugh:

LuVr

Smash Apprentice
I belive that bowser, although a little better in this game than in Melee, is still a bit under-rated. He is decent (not going by the tier books here), if you want to use a few moves. The problem is that he doesnt have enough essence for me... Not too many moves and counter moves come to mind when I play as him, so I keep getting caught in trainwreck situations.

drunk3ng0ldfish

Smash Cadet
i was thinking of seconding bowser. and it was cool. but the grab release turned me away tbh.
i don't want to memorize that much stuff.

B!squick

Smash Master
i was thinking of seconding bowser. and it was cool. but the grab release turned me away tbh.
i don't want to memorize that much stuff.
Yeah noob, any REAL Bowser main would use their photo graphic memmory.

That's not the only reason why your argument is silly.

• The Grab Release data isn't on some handy chart (plan on fixing that when it's updated)
  • Did I mention the update? At least somewhat of the data in the GR thread isn't true

Here's the jist though: if it's Wario, Ivysaur, Ness, or Lucas, you're pretty free to do whatever you want from a ground release. Otherwise, what I always do, is experiment. Can I regrab? If no, try Klaw. If still no, FTilt. If all else fails, Jab. If not even Jab works, Throw. Simple.

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
*facepalm*

I blame the matchups and misconceptions. Example: everyone thinking bowser is slow. Bowser isn't slow. He's big, but he isn't slow.

I somewhata agree with this, when I first used him I was expecting him to be some lumbering speed victim but he actually stood up well in 4 player matches

REL38

Smash Lord
People don't like Bowser because they always compare him to how he was in Melee.
"He's big, slow and can't combo well. In fact, he's one of the easier characters that can be combo'd because of his size. That's why he's in the garbage tier along with Pichu and Mewtwo."

That's what a lot of people thought of him back then, so they keep the same general impressions of him and apply it to Brawl. That's also a reason as to why some people complain about him when it comes to the tier list.
"Why is *insert character name* lower than Bowser!?"

They compare him to his Melee counterpart and automatically assume he's crap.

JOE!

Smash Hero
I vote we should do some sort of ad campaign to get people to play our beloved turtlesaurus...

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Because he's fat... slow (compared to the most others...)... and he's fat... he gets comboed... he's too fat... his recovery sucks... oh yeah and he's fat AND NOT DEDEDE... and he does NOT have t3h c0mb03zzZZ x) But he h4z t3h f!r3... that's why he is Top of the Lowies xP

My reasons why I dont play him ... :/ (Btw I play DDD a lot so the fat thing isnt the true reason why I dont like playing Boozer XD)

Flayl

Smash Hero
He's also faster than Dedede. Dedede doesn't have combos either. So maybe you should quit Dedede?

Koala

Smash Cadet
Personally, I don't like bowser just because I have always thought in my head that Bowser is slow and is basically just smash attacks. I dont know why I have always thought like this, but I have and I guess that I have never found Bowser to be fun to play, although I should play him the way he is supposed to be played and not how I did and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom