• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you play Brawl competitively?

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Because it's fun and seriously challenging! :mad088: ...But challenging in a good way! :laugh:
And is it me or is everyone like lampooning Brawl? :urg:

Slasherx

Smash Ace
To make people get pissed off from my Ice climber CG.
Then when they try it, fail...lawl

Grmo

Smash Champion
Plymouth Rock, eating Thanksgiving dinner
For me it just gives me something to do that is interesting. Going to tournaments is really fun/interesting because you meet people from all over the place (and country). Looking back 10 years from now most people will probably not remember that they went to [insert random party #100] but I will remember how I traveled from Maryland to San Fransisco to Las Vegas for tournaments, staying with and meeting other people, having fun not-even-playing-the-game.

Basically its more of an extra - ordinary life.

Oh, and its a nice way to see the country. I've been to like every corner of Ohio/Maryland/Virginia for tournaments and been to every major region of the country. You know those movies about how a bunch of highschool/college type kids go on a road trip and have the time of their lives? That's basically what its like going to some of the Smash tournaments I've been to. Crazy adventures.
That's such a great way of putting it. It's so true.

soap

Smash Hero
I find other excuses to travel

but smash gets me free housing lolol

smash is fun wtf no explanation needed

Mewter

Smash Master
-I play competitively just to get better at the game.
-Brawl made me worse at Melee. :laugh:
-I completely forgot how to wavedash. (Lol...)

That's basically why I play Brawl. :laugh:

BrawLBlazer

Smash Journeyman
I play Brawl basically to have fun by beating others who deem themselves as great because they can "beat lvl 9s" and always win on Basic Brawl with anyone.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
1. It's challenging. It makes you think & try to outsmart & outskill your opponents. And that is...
2...a lot funner then playing low level smash.
3. I also play because I like meeting/hanging out with awesome people & I never ever liked the idea of playing alone! :D
4. The Smash Bros. games are my favorite games of all-time, hands down, & I just flat out love them.
5. People have some awesome smash "mini-games," & I figure I'll learn a lot more of 'em! XD

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
I play it competitively because playing CPUs the same ways gets very boring... and i was always one to take my game to the next level(as in get good at it/find/do everything).

i also met good people IRL who played competitively and they gave me a chance to improve my game more then ever... I do not regret my involvement in competitive brawl even in the slightest, for it is my favorite game of all time so far

xXTACXx

Smash Journeyman
I play it competitively because playing CPUs the same ways gets very boring... and i was always one to take my game to the next level(as in get good at it/find/do everything).

i also met good people IRL who played competitively and they gave me a chance to improve my game more then ever... I do not regret my involvement in competitive brawl even in the slightest, for it is my favorite game of all time so far
Amen to this

*CT*

Smash Lord
I want to be the very best, that..... you know the rest.

Not really why exactly, but I haven't brawled at all competitively...yet.

Korpocalypse

Smash Journeyman
I enjoy playing the game, but after beating all your friends it can get boring.
I like to play competitively because I really like playing someone, losing badly, playing some other people, learning more stuff, and then maybe putting up a fight against the person i lost to earlier.
It's also a blast to meet so many other people who are interested in the exact same thing.
Oh, and the matches, especially between 2 really good players, can be extremely exciting.

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
melee is too fast for my eyes and i do NOT have time to be elite.

it's more popular, more characters, laidback, wifi...

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I enjoy playing the game, but after beating all your friends it can get boring.
I like to play competitively because I really like playing someone, losing badly, playing some other people, learning more stuff, and then maybe putting up a fight against the person i lost to earlier.
It's also a blast to meet so many other people who are interested in the exact same thing.
Oh, and the matches, especially between 2 really good players, can be extremely exciting.
I agree with this guy but I do it because no one else in my state does play Brawl competitively.

LSDX

Wah!
Nobody in my area plays Brawl competitvely, it's pretty much a joke. I know a lot of people around my area who play it casually, but competitve Smash in general isn't big around Aurora & Oswego, IL.

If any competition is played around here, it's mostly Melee. Brawl in the midwest has seen a decline recently, which in my opinion is a good thing <3

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
I don't play Melee seriously cause I suck hard with tap jump on and because it's too fast in gameplay. In Brawl I like the Anti-combo gameplay cause it makes heavies better (I like to live long stocks) and I like to use aerials to reduce momentum when knocked. Brawl doesn't suck.

LSDX

Wah!
I don't play Melee seriously cause I suck hard with tap jump on and because it's too fast in gameplay. In Brawl I like the Anti-combo gameplay cause it makes heavies better (I like to live long stocks) and I like to use aerials to reduce momentum when knocked. Brawl doesn't suck.
Opinions opinions

BiN Breezy

Smash Cadet
I to didnt play competively but after watching some pro vids (yes DBR Xp) after a couple months I just wanted to play. Sure after some time you get frstrated with tech skill and meta game but you get it after a while. It is so much fun espicially if most of you r friends play

Mars WonderBoy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mars_WonderBoy
3DS FC
4511-0715-7718
Brawl just has the atmosphere that Melee doesn't for me. Melee had Tap-Jump, L-Cancel, and random "AT's" that I wasn't really keen with. Brawl offers control changes, more varied gameplay, and more chars. It's a game only I and several others can enjoy.

'V'

Smash Lord
Nobody in my area plays Brawl competitvely, it's pretty much a joke. I know a lot of people around my area who play it casually, but competitve Smash in general isn't big around Aurora & Oswego, IL.

If any competition is played around here, it's mostly Melee. Brawl in the midwest has seen a decline recently, which in my opinion is a good thing <3
The Louisiana scene needs to go to where you are.

LSDX

Wah!
The Louisiana scene needs to go to where you are.
Midwest is Melee central right now, and it's too good.

Brawl just has the atmosphere that Melee doesn't for me. Melee had Tap-Jump, L-Cancel, and random "AT's" that I wasn't really keen with. Brawl offers control changes, more varied gameplay, and more chars. It's a game only I and several others can enjoy.
Opinions opinions

Random AT's eh? You might want to reconsi--*Trips*

The Brigand

Smash Cadet
Well, my first tournament was just this Sunday, and it was probably the most fun I've ever had playing Brawl.

So that's it. It's fun. It's very, very fun.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
Its an okay competitive game, takes a lot of thought, and is fun when your with a group of people and you play in tournament. I have been playing Smash compeititivley since Melee and I started late so I got hung onto Brawl since I was a new melee player when Brawl came out. I enjoyed it no matter how much crap I got from using MK since Feb 08.

AXE 09

Smash Master
i play brawl competitively so i can brag to all my friends XD

but then they don't end up caring anyways, so i just switch to melee:)

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
KID, I didn't see the text at the end of your post, so I thought you were implying that she was the reason you played. LOL

Top Bottom