• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WHOBO 3!! 3/18-20/2011!! Livestream: http://brawlstream.vgbootcamp.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esca

Smash Champion
Rich brown deserved what he got. Its karma for being a complete ****head to people he doesn't know.

How can you people get mad enough to flip a chair/throw a controller/etc over a game?

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Fixed that for you.

You got timed out by DK, no johns.
LOL @ all of the butthurt people over what Will did. Good **** Will, do what you have to do homie.

Rich, even though that outcome is super gay...such is the game we play, and I'm kind of disappointed with the way you handled it man. :/
Effin eh right, boys. Darn straight.

Will just gave us a prime example of how ******** a tournament without an LGL can be in America.
You kidding? We saw how awesome it is. People complain about low/mid tiers being nonviable, then we get a tournament where a mid tier that everyone always wishes was more viable, he does well, and it's like "boooo, that way gay, make a dumb rule to prevent it!".

There's no pleasing you people. Play the real game, LGL is stupid and planking is legit. Will planking didn't even prove anything, ADHD beat him despite the planking. L2P, no johns.

All of that aside, good stuff to you at this tournament Illmatic. You did work :)

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
alright frak this.

Ultimately, it's not your decision or my decision on whether or not the LGL rule should be enforced. Common tournament organizers enforce a standard 35 LGL.

When Xyro speaks, it's over, simple as that.

dextasmurf

Smash Lord
A dk planked a olimar nd people are upset nd want justice lol... Will did Wut he had to do to win and if u ask me Olimar planks the stage

Good Ol' Tree

Smash Ace
NNID
Garnitrex
People seem to forget that the LGL does not gonna mean the complete end of timeouts. Someone said Redhalberd timed out someone with like 28 LGs?

But with that aside, people just want to keep banning stuff in hopes to make the game... more fun? Less gay? More fair? then more than just DK planking rofl. With Unwinnable matchups and we just tell the people who main characters who get ****ed by 0-deaths/locks, "pick up a 2ndary for said matchup."
So then, why not have an olimar have a pocket DDD for DK? Same **** to me. Both character specific 0-deaths and planking timeouts are equally as gay to me, and both can be remedied by one thing, switching characters.

In brawl, people will always find loopholes to rules, and, if we want to ban stuff that makes the game "boring and gay", then you have a lot more to worry about then just different characters planking.
Rolling is an approach in this game FFS, so if your gonna take this game seriously thenbe prepared for not just some, but all of the gay **** there is and honestly, most players aren't even playing the game as gay as they could be
Will didn't switch characters.

-Ran

Smash Master
There are always going to be things that are gay in a game, no matter what you play when money is involved. You cannot ban everything that is going to happen, especially if it is only an isolated incident. Brawl is a slow game, it's painful to watch due to how long matches take. Players are rewarded very little for individual hits, and thus play as safe as possible at the highest level. Dk's ledge game is pretty solid, and especially so against Olimar; however, certain characters have unwinnable match ups against high-tier characters due to what they can do on the stage via chain grabs.

Do we ban those tactics, even though they are just as easy as grabbing a ledge? No, we say, "Too bad for you in that match up, learn a counter-pick." We might pacify certain fringe groups by putting a limit to the easiest method of the chain grab, but in the end the match up is shaped by it. Planking is just like chain grabbing. Some characters can do it successfully, and others can't. Certain characters lack the tools to defeat it, while others can handle it just fine. The issue with MK's planking is that it is literally perfect when executed properly.

_Kain_

Smash Champion
The community is gonna die soon. Too much gay ****, *****ing, hating. The salt is off the charts. This game is already gay and it's funny how it always somehow becomes even gayer. The way we play isn't attracting any new players, and old players are already quitting because of the stupid ****. So...have fun with your gay **** for a little while longer

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Go Kyle..

anyone know how Kyle did? "Silly Kyle" just representing from AZ... please if anyone can let me know..

Good job Kyle if you did well..

if you didnt'.............still awesome job! <3

@ all the hate in this thread...

you guys could all play melee... melee is fun. :)

-Ran

Smash Master
You can't say it's literally perfect when it has 2 frames of vulnerability.

Technically you could run up, power shield > down smash as Zero Suit Samus xD
It's a matter of the location of the vulnerability. It is not safe for any character to cope with, when properly done. And, you do realize that when you power-shield, you don't have a magical 'do your move instantly' power, correct? A move still has it's start up frames. which are 21 in this instance. You clearly have no concept of how to play this game.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
People been predicting that this game would "die" back in 2008 and now there are more tourneys than ever worldwide with consistently increasing attendance. Seriously gtfo with that BS it's NOT gonna happen because this game is still awesome no matter what.

:059:

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
It's a matter of the location of the vulnerability. It is not safe for any character to cope with, when properly done. And, you do realize that when you power-shield, you don't have a magical 'do your move instantly' power, correct? A move still has it's start up frames. which are 21 in this instance. You clearly have no concept of how to play this game.
Did you just say that Zero Suit Samus' down smash is 21 frames? o_O

And I was obviously joking about it actually being a viable option, hence the 'xD' at the end.

_Kain_

Smash Champion
People been predicting that this game would "die" back in 2008 and now there are more tourneys than ever worldwide with consistently increasing attendance. Seriously gtfo with that BS it's NOT gonna happen because this game is still awesome no matter what.

And you actually took it serious in 2008 when the game had just CAME OUT? It's 2011 and where are you getting increasing attendance??? So many people don't even play anymore and more and more people are quitting

_Kain_

Smash Champion
When you have to argue over whether the game is actually dieing or not, it might as well be.
Cept no one is arguing just stating opinions. You should just stfu already all of your 2318923712893 posts the last couple pages have been completely stupid and dumb

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Go Kyle..

anyone know how Kyle did? "Silly Kyle" just representing from AZ... please if anyone can let me know..

Good job Kyle if you did well..

if you didnt'.............still awesome job! <3

@ all the hate in this thread...

you guys could all play melee... melee is fun. :)
:(

nobody know?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
And you actually took it serious in 2008 when the game had just CAME OUT? It's 2011 and where are you getting increasing attendance??? So many people don't even play anymore and more and more people are quitting
And who are these "more and more people" that are quitting? Wanna bet that it's not more than those who join the community?

:(

nobody know?
He got 25th

iFudge

Banned via Warnings
i still dont see whats wrong with dk planking oli :l if he approaches oli he gets grabbed.
sooo will did the smart thing, anyway its not like dk;s planking is unbeatable. adhd still won :d

Suspect

Smash Hero
adhd won but he didnt/couldnt stop wills planking 1st match, the match adhd lost btw

ADHD was fortunate enough to get the lead the other games which meant will couldnt plank...

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
dam i just read all of this now lol

first of all, LOL at some people saying dk's planking sucks. come on. only excuse i see for something so false and ignorant is that there are only about 4 players that are good with the character so many dont know about his stuff. anyway

unfortunate to have that happen to rich but def wasnt wills fault, it was in the rules and the to's fault. at pound 5, the infinite for ddd was legal. atomsk abused it vs will and beat him, even tho will beats him all the time. atomsk did nothing wrong but play how he was meant to be played for that certain event. will doing this at whobo was expected since if you watch his matches, he already almost goes over the lgl lolololol just means will knew beforehand how to prepare for this event.

BUT IM GLAD EVERYTHINGS KEWL NOW BETWEEN THE PLAYERS AND TO'S.

lesson to be learned = read the rules very carefully before banking on the tourney.

thats what i did for pound 4 a year ago and saw no scrooging rule so i abused it and placed 4th :p

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Any talk of how much fun people had at the actual tournament? o_O considering the turnout was higher than WHOBO 2and all the massive hype for some matches, guess I'll wait for the results topic.

@ planking complainers

Would you have been fine to see Will get camped to death onstage and possibly 3-stocked again, even though DK had enough tools when used properly, could give olimar a little bit of trouble? People also seem to forget Pikachu vs ICs on FD, where that seems to be Pikachu's most prominent strategy against them. If the characters are so good, they should have options against these things.

@Illmatic

Just because Esca was a little harder this time because of the no- LGL isn't really a good reason. Peach not having many answers to it makes planking the ledge an obvious advantageous strategy. In the end, didn't your skills prevailed anyways. (and who knows, if you practice you may discover some nasty things peach could do to chars on the ledge).

My best wishes from this hopes that this planking complaining or whatever progresses into a dynamic ledge/offstage game for more characters. Can't expect to deal with something you've never truly experienced before.

If someone gave me a reason to stop planking of DK of all characters then I'd be like okay, but I haven't seen it yet other than crying.

swordgard

Smash Hero
The metagame changes towards better plankers and characters than can dislodge them from the easier. Why are we preventing this? Its the natural course of the game, we will either find new counters to most of the plankers or the game will 100% degenerate. If you ban pre-emptively you will never know if there is going to be new counters. Also, losing a match by getting 3 stock then planking and winning is a perfectly legit technique as long as the planking is not overcentralizing vs the whole cast. I didn't see will plank his way to top 3, where you at richbrown, wheres your counterpicking? Your adaptation? Its your job as a player to keep up with these things. Don't blame planking when it only works vs you, don't blame the rules for not banning planking, blame yourself for not coming up with a better way to beat it. As always, expect the unexpected and be able to adapt on the fly.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
my aim is lightxdream.

I only ask to be imed cause I feel the more we argue about this in a thread for results the less people will be able to see shoutouts ( more important for this event at this time )

I enjoy this conversation/debate actually.
When a tourney thread turns into conversation over drama, it usually gets locked and a specific thread is created by a mod over it lol. inb4closedthread.

To win money, obviously.

Do you think people play to win just for ****s and giggles?
Some people still do play to get better and to prove their skill level to themselves and others.

Basically, the Japanese rule-set removes every single interesting stage from the game for absolutely no reason and introduces a ground timer rule which doesn't actually do it's job.

Why should the LGL be on everyone when no one else, other than MK, has broken planking?
I guess we should remove Ike's forward smash too, I mean, it's really easy to avoid, but if it does work it's really gaaayyyyyy.
The ledge grab rule should be on everyone because it is not correct to limit MK specifically. While this has been done for MK's infinite dimensional cape, no one else in the game has that tactic available to them, but everyone can grab the ledge. Broken or not, 1 character shouldn't be nerfed by a rule placed in play specifically for them. Everyone must abide to and play by the same rules. When the rules are made different for certain characters, that is just wrong.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Important: Were there any other problematic situations regarding the MK only LGL at this tournament? If so please let me know.

I heard NOID's Samus had a high amount of ledgegrabs vs Rich Brown also. Was it a timeout?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom