• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who has the best/worst jab in the game?

Hyesz

Smash Journeyman
Only someone who hasn't played a good Zelda would think her jab is bad.

It can set up other moves, like her D-Tilt does just not so commonly seen.

Heck, one time I seen Ninjalink gimp someone with it.

(I used to main Zelda, I knows that her jab is good).

Anywhoo, I think the best jab belongs to Squirtle or Ike.
The worst jab is probably Ivysaur or GnWs.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Only someone who hasn't played a good Zelda would think her jab is bad.

It can set up other moves, like her D-Tilt does just not so commonly seen.

Heck, one time I seen Ninjalink gimp someone with it.

(I used to main Zelda, I knows that her jab is good).

Anywhoo, I think the best jab belongs to Squirtle or Ike.
The worst jab is probably Ivysaur or GnWs.
No.

Only someone who hasn't played a good GnW would think his jab is bad.

It can set up for other moves, like his Nair cancel does just not so commonly seen.

Heck, one time I seen kaak gimp someone with it

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
No.

Only someone who hasn't played a good GnW would think his jab is bad.

It can set up for other moves, like his Nair cancel does just not so commonly seen.

Heck, one time I seen kaak gimp someone with it
one time i seen mario's dtilt gimp someone.

Mindgames don't count.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
I killed with Tinks grab release. Mario ground-released over the edge. He didn't use his second jump and up-B'd under the ledge.

Best jab in the game?

lock pl0x

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
No ones mentioned fox shiek or wolfs jabs then again no one really plays them.

Fox and sheik are frame two can at certain percents start to lead into grabs shines and kills and stuff if canceled. They both also have good range and low cool downs making them safe even against some character shields if spaced well.
They are also great at inturupting a lot of attacks that would other wise connect and putting you on the offensive again.

wolf's jab is amazing I think at 3 or 4 frames it is very fast and it's range is a great adition to his air presure game.

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
Snake has the best.

Sonic...... has the worst.

actually I take that back, Pikmin has the worst jab

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
zelda's jab is amazing people. O_o

anyway

i think all the characters have good jabs

heck, maybe metaknight's is the worst

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
No ones mentioned fox shiek or wolfs jabs then again no one really plays them.

Fox and sheik are frame two can at certain percents start to lead into grabs shines and kills and stuff if canceled.
Oh ****. Sheik has a shine?

Vitality

Smash Ace
MK's jab is just...bad. But you do it on a infinite zone like Rainbow cruise then its good.
Snake's jab has to be the best.
Ike's jab is pretty beast too.

MrEh

Smash Hero
What are you talking about? It's one of her more respectable moves.
It's still a load of crap.

This is a comparison of all the jabs in the game. Not a comparison of Zelda's Jab versus her other moves. Compared to the other jabs in the game, Zelda's is bad.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Game & Watch's jab isn't bad within his moveset, and I'm not even sure it's one of the bottom half of jabs (it's probably sitting somewhere in the middle give or take either way).

Considering that it's a key part of his mixup game and his bread and butter close up move alongside point blank Dtilt, as well as having very large and very disjointed range for a jab, and being able to cancel projectiles with the same ease as most other quality jabs makes me doubt it's the worst, let alone bottom three. It has several uses at being a solid spotdodge counter and having a good jab cancel into dtilt game. It also has that gimmick pseudo cg out of his dthrow, that isn't totally without merit against characters who aren't desperate in avoiding the Dsmash (as they may not be affected by it).

The notion that it's in the lower half of all jabs comparatively isn't ridiculous, but I really am doubtful MK's jab is better, for example.

MK's jab is likely the worst of all, but there are several contenders of bad jabs from stuff like Ganon's "punishable by spotdodge" jab.

The best jab is a lot harder to say without a doubt, but Ike's, Snake's, Falcon's, Squirtle's, and a few others are all very high up there. Maybe Snake's jab is a bit better than the rest, but as I noted it isn't easy to compare them.

TX7Killian

Smash Apprentice
Snake's Jab has a lot Knockback. It kills at 140+ dmg (happened to me for a while) mindgaymz

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Game & Watch's jab isn't bad within his moveset, and I'm not even sure it's one of the bottom half of jabs (it's probably sitting somewhere in the middle give or take either way).

Considering that it's a key part of his mixup game and his bread and butter close up move alongside point blank Dtilt, as well as having very large and very disjointed range for a jab, and being able to cancel projectiles with the same ease as most other quality jabs makes me doubt it's the worst, let alone bottom three. It has several uses at being a solid spotdodge counter and having a good jab cancel into dtilt game. It also has that gimmick pseudo cg out of his dthrow, that isn't totally without merit against characters who aren't desperate in avoiding the Dsmash (as they may not be affected by it).

The notion that it's in the lower half of all jabs comparatively isn't ridiculous, but I really am doubtful MK's jab is better, for example.

MK's jab is likely the worst of all, but there are several contenders of bad jabs from stuff like Ganon's "punishable by spotdodge" jab.

The best jab is a lot harder to say without a doubt, but Ike's, Snake's, Falcon's, Squirtle's, and a few others are all very high up there. Maybe Snake's jab is a bit better than the rest, but as I noted it isn't easy to compare them.
Ganon's jab is too fast for a human to react to, but otherwise it's slow.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
By punishable by spotdodge I am referring to the cooldown on the jab. When a jab has worse cooldown than the average smash attack then you know it's pretty poor (unless it has a bunch of other really good qualities to make up for it, which it does not in this case). If you spotdodge in anticipation of a jab when close up, and he does actually jab, it's pretty much the only jab in the game that will get punished via the dodge.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
People are commonly associating Falcon with a good jab, and MK with a bad one.

However frame-data wise, Falcon's really isn't anything extraordinary. It's just fast with above-average stun, enough for a grab at best. SL needs to look at Lucario's 12 and 16 frame advantage sweetspots before talking about frame data. <3

MK's jab is only bad if you don't know how to release it properly. It continues going on for like half a second after you press the button, so you just need to realize that that's just what happens with it. Buffer a move as it ends, and you'll find it's actually not that bad to connect with. It true combos into dash grabs, ftilts, dsmashes, shuttle loops, dtilts, and all sorts of stuff. Its startup may be somewhat slow, but it's inconspicuous as well, making it not that easy for a person to punish on reaction, regardless, if they're punishing an 8 frame move on reaction in the first place.

Jigglypuff and Sonic probably have worse jabs, anyways.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Falcon's jab has the highest priority of his moveset, but its priority is actually not that good. Its priority can't be compared with Snake's jab (set ups his ftilt; or grab or up tilt on aerial characters; as long as it isn't Marth because of his up b).

Sakeno

Smash Rookie
I always thought that ike had one of the best jabs
in the game, not sure who i think has the worst one tho
since i havent really played much of any other chars

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
there are many jabs that can jab lock.... :/
not to mention other tilts and aerials that can do it as well.
It's not really that special.

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
What about Squirtle's jab, what are its weaknesses? It's extremely fast and hard to avoid, but I think the first hit has rather short range

Pete278

Smash Lord
It's not "so good", it's just good compared to what Falcon has.

And it's about the same thing for Jiggs : her jab sux but compared to the rest of her ground game... Yeah.
Its also one of the only Falcon moves that has actual priority over anything, so its one of his few reliable counter-attacks.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Its also one of the only Falcon moves that has actual priority over anything, so its one of his few reliable counter-attacks.
Umm, no. Priority doesn't work this way. The whole "Falcon's jab has the best priority of his moveset" was actually a gag started by people to emphasize how bad of a character many believe him to be. Falcon's jab has no more priority than any other move that does equal damage. However, it does have stellar range, and, like the other 2-frame jabs, has stellar speed, allowing him a distinct advantage in close quarter combat.

It's not "so good", it's just good compared to what Falcon has.

And it's about the same thing for Jiggs : her jab sux but compared to the rest of her ground game... Yeah.
Jigglypuff probably shouldn't be jabbing on the ground unless she set up a jab lock or is sandbagging, imo. Even with her ground game, jab is pretty bad, from what I've heard. She still has Dash Attack, DACUS, Smashes, and don't forget her amazing grab range to use over that silly little two-hit poke that was probably supposed to have a third hit that the coders forgot about.
Falcon's jab has the highest priority of his moveset, but its priority is actually not that good. Its priority can't be compared with Snake's jab (set ups his ftilt; or grab or up tilt on aerial characters; as long as it isn't Marth because of his up b).
You're silly. See above about the jab gag. "Priority" in Smash really doesn't exist. It really is just range and hitbox disjoint/hurtbox ratio. The closest thing to your view of "priority" is that Ground moves within 8% will always clank, so yeah. Falcon's jab doesn't have all that much priority in that case... and neither does Snake's jab, for that matter. However, iirc Snake and Falcon have similar amounts of frame advantage, (although Snake's jab must be sweetspotted at the tip for that advantage), so really the only big difference is that Snake has a multitude of better options after a jab at his disposal, although the initial jab is still basically the same for these two, other than that Falcon's is 2 frames without a sweetspot requirement.

Top Bottom