• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who has the best/worst jab in the game?

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
Zamus, falco, snake, ike are the best in no particular order
worst are metaknight, olimar,
most peoples jabs are usable though

The best jab in the game is still the best jab in the game. being "forced to put almost his entire game into his jab" doesn't magically make the jab slower. Or have less range. Or less hitstun. His jab would be just as good as it is now if his Neutral B granted him a FD sized, frame one OHKO move.
^
no, it would not be as good, it would be the worst jab in the game
it would not exist
because he would not exist

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Who the **** resurrected this godforsaken thread?
The person who created the topic. This thread isn't that bad, guys.

No

and

no

ZSS jab isn't bad lol.

Snakes is overrated.
I'm really glad that someone has realised this. OK, so the third jab doesn't truly combo. To remedy this, simply jab twice, then roll away or cancel it into a DTilt or something. You can always get a jab out of a grounded grab release (unless you're playing Donkey Kong), and it makes a great interrupting move.

and what about links jab ??
it's a good jab , no question ^^
Good? Sure. Among the best in the game? No.

Nestec

Smash Ace
No, no, you guys seem to be running around in circles. That's why it's so bad. Not to mention it's...just a very dry topic. >.<

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Many characters can shield the kick of Snake's jab. But it has extremely high priority. It also truelly combos into ftilt. And up tilt and grab if used on a character in the air.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Peach can jab oos between snakes f-tilts hits, and it is also the foundation of her aggresssive game. Autocanceled aeriel --> Jab is ungrabbable for most characters.

It may not be the best jab, but it may win "most useful jab for that character" award.

Luigi's is really good too.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'll say Ike or Luigi's jab for best, they can follow up with a grab, or just end it if they want to, and Luigi is able to Up-B during his follow up jab. I can see Meta Knight's being one of the worst, but over all I'll say Jigglypuff.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Peach can jab oos between snakes f-tilts hits, and it is also the foundation of her aggresssive game. Autocanceled aeriel --> Jab is ungrabbable for most characters.

It may not be the best jab, but it may win "most useful jab for that character" award.

Luigi's is really good too.
Are you really meaning to say that Peach's jab is more important to her, than the relative jabs of...

Ike or Falcon?

BSP

Smash Legend
Luigi has a great jab, btw.

has anyone considered sonic's jab? It's pretty weak and not the fastest, and I always get punished in between hits...am i just doing it too slow?

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
I think Link can jab cancel for extra damage, but it's a 7 frame jab. It can also jab lock. Izaw uses it a lot.

Popcornio

Smash Apprentice
Lucas' jab catches me offguard a lot because of it's weird hitbox; it can hit you from behind him, and suck you into the rest of it.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
has anyone considered sonic's jab? It's pretty weak and not the fastest, and I always get punished in between hits...am i just doing it too slow?
If you don't hold the attack button until the end of the sequence, you leave enough time inbetween the individual hits for the opponent to either shield or counter with a VERY quick attack.

Just hold the button and that should take care of it.

4nace

Smash Ace
Ike has the best jab in the game. Followed by probably Falco.

I would say Zelda probably has the worst, but its close. Sonic's is bad if you don't count the awesome Jab Lock that isn't too hard to set up if you are good at Fast Fall Neutral Airs.

Also Ivysaur's is probably the coolest though haha

4nace

Smash Ace
Why Jab when your Smashes come out faster? And if you're playing against people who Smash DI out of the smash attacks, then its time to pick a new character haha =)

But no, my friend has mained Zelda since day one, and even though he may not use her Jab as much as he should, her jab is still pretty useless.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Her jab is not useless

-Sets up grabs at low percentages
-long ranged
-Not SDIable (iirc)
-Extremely small cooldown
-Very safe on shield
-At certian percentages it forces a getup, allowing you to techchase on every character

Get at me

4nace

Smash Ace
-Low Knockback.
-Terrible start-up time (Sonic can dash grab if he sees it starting.)
- Slower than F-smash, D-smash, D-tilt which can all be used in similar situations, only d-tilt is more spammable and has comparable range.

However, I do agree that the cooldown is awesome so its great for comboing as you can follow it up well with anything really. Also, what do you mean can force a get up? Like if you have them d-tilt locked or if they don't tech the ground? Because I would much rather have a jab-lock or more dtilts/down smash in that situation because even if they have to get up you might miss the free hit.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Low knockback is not a bad thing. Allows for follow ups

Jab can be used in place of Fsmash, Dsmash, and dtilt because those are the ones you want fresh.

What I mean by a force getup is that after knockback, the opponent cant DI or tech the ground, causing them to land with extra lag letting Zelda to either follow up with Dash attack or something, or to start a tech chase/getup that can be shield grabbed.

4nace

Smash Ace
Hmmm is that really true? Because if it is, I think my friend and I need to practice doing that into Sonic jab locks. Seems like it would work well in doubles if it really puts them on the ground and its untechable. How often does it do that / what are the right percentages?

zeldspazz

Smash Master
You would have to test that. It's weight dependant.

Edit: With Mario, it starts at 40%, and he is able to tech after 90%
So, depending on how heavy Sonic is ocmpared to Mario, you can get a rough estimate on what percentages

Edit2: Its been tested Zelda can safely follow up with:

Dash Attack (the safest option)
Hyphen Usmash
Running Grab
Dtilt / Dsmash (if they are very close)

Top Bottom