• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who has the best/worst jab in the game?

haloman800

Smash Apprentice
I was coming in here thinking Ike has the best and MK has the worst, I stand by that.

Nestec

Smash Ace
Wow, you fail for sustaining this ill-fated thread.

And I fail even more for acknowledging it... >_<

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
are u kidding me sonics is one of the best he has the easiest and the best jab lock because of his jab

Supamahn

Smash Rookie
Falco, Snake, and Pikachu have pretty good jabs IMO. Ivysaur and Jiggly have the worst I think. Ivy's is just too slow and Jiggly's doesn't really do anything, it's just weak.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Agreed with zeldspazz.

This thread gets bumped too often.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Pikachu's jab isn't that bad. Sure, it's hella situational, but it has a lot of disjoint in front of his head, and it can trip, leading into a FSmash. It does have its uses.
You will never land a Jab -> Fsmash against anyone that's played this game before, yo.

It's not reliable, it's not a good move.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
Wait whats with everyone saying Ivy has one of the worst jabs? It's similar to Diddy's, Sheik's ect. except 10x more disjointed and difficult to get past.
Worst is easily Jiggly.

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
Wait whats with everyone saying Ivy has one of the worst jabs? It's similar to Diddy's, Sheik's ect. except 10x more disjointed and difficult to get past.
Worst is easily Jiggly.
Jigglypuff's is fairly bad. It has a horrible range, it only has two hits, and its weak.

Although it can jab lock, and it's pretty fast.

It's more like a poke if you ask me :).

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
People keep saying Ivysaur because it seems oh-so-slow when it's hitting something... or maybe it's because they can keep up with the sounds each whip makes and thus deem it slow... or maybe they simply don't know what they're talking about. That thing is good, and there are slower jabs.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The best Jabs in this game overall are either Snake or Luigi's. Both have excellent range and speed, and very good setups.

Honorable mention goes to Ike, for the 16% damage dealer that is his Jab combo.

The worst Jab in this game belongs to Samus. It doesn't even combo into the 2nd hit.

MK and Zelda also have pretty lousy Jabs. Their Jabs are slow and situational and don't have any good followups.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Snake's full combo is easily blocked, and doesn't truly combo into anything. He has some close combos, but nothing that's a true combo. While he does have some great options out of Jab (Ftilt, Grab which leads to Dthrow which leads to lots of fun), it's not a top contender.

It's a run off between Ike and Luigi.

Ike has the range, % damage, and knockback lead for the full combo uncanceled. He also has the jab with the most hitstun. Their jabs both hit on frame 3.

Luigi potentially has the earliest to KO vertically jab combo (Jab -> Up B), but it's not a true combo on everyone.

Ike has the potential to do the most % damage from a Jab combo (Jab1 -> Jab1-> Grab -> Pummel X amount of times -> Bthrow -> Dash Attack) Which is a true combo on more characters then Luigi's Jab -> Up B. Alternatively, if he's by a wall he can combo the jab into a wall "infinity" but that's rather situational and is doable mainly at PS1.

For near true combos or "sequences", Ike has more of them, and the one with the most horizontal KOing power (Jab -> Bair). Luigi has the sequence with the most potential damage (Jab -> Grab -> Air combo thingy what ever order that goes in)

Top Four would be Ike > Luigi ->>> Falco -> Snake

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Ike is also fairly easily punished if his opponent SDIs well (not hard to predict when he's going to Jab since his moveset is extremely limited). His Jab is also merely average in terms of speed, while Luigi has a fast Jab.

Luigi also has a Jab cancel "infinite" on the entire case too, and it's not just Jab UpB he can do. He has other options like Jab D-tilt/D-smash and Luigi's Jab -> Grab is a significantly greater threat than Ike's Jab -> Grab due to damage and setups and potential B-throw KOs. It's much easier to land a U-smash from Luigi's D-throw than it is to land a U-air from Ike's D-throw/U-throw.

Basically Luigi has a lot more options when it comes to Jabbing, while Ike is basically forced to put almost his entire game into his Jab since the rest of his movepool is not that impressive. That not to mention the speed of Luigi's Jab makes it more useful overall.

Snake's Jab -> Grab/U-tilt/F-tilt as far as I recall are guaranteed on the entire cast, and since those moves are better than Ike's followups, that also makes Snake's Jab more useful than Ike's.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
....Did you read what I put down? At all?

They both have frame 3 jabs meaning they are the same speed. Luigi's jab is not faster then Ike. They are equal. Luigi's B-throw isn't killing for a heck of a long time, a lot later then Ike's Dash Attack.

What is this bull about SDI? SDI doesn't save people from Ike's jab when the Ike knows what he is doing. SDI behind Ike? You still get hit by turn around Jab before you can act. That does nothing. SDI up? Still in range of grab or Utilt. SDI away? Still in range of dash grab or the full jab combo. Luigi would be more hurt by SDI due to the shorter range on his moves.

It doesn't matter if Ike is "forced to put almost his entire game into his Jab". It has zero baring on how good it is. The best jab in the game is still the best jab in the game. being "forced to put almost his entire game into his jab" doesn't magically make the jab slower. Or have less range. Or less hitstun. His jab would be just as good as it is now if his Neutral B granted him a FD sized, frame one OHKO move.

Please note I did not say Uair from Ike's throws. While it works great if a platform is there, it doesn't if there isn't. It's too % dependent (though we do have two different ranges where it works thanks to the two throws). Same with Luigi's Dthrow -> Usmash. It's too % dependent. Luigi has less options then Ike overall from jab, particularly when you look at the % dependent ones.

And from what I remember, Snake's jab lacks the hitstun to truly combo into anything. It's good, but not that good.

Tipzntrix

Smash Apprentice
For those saying G&W's jab has no purpose, it can be used in down throw mindgames. Any opponent who doesn't tech down throw can be jabbed once/twice and grabbed again for another downthrow. Any opponent who techs can be techchased into an upsmash. It's pretty much a 50/50, and it's because of G&W's jab.

IThinkAboutIvysaur

Smash Apprentice
Squirtle first Jab comes our on frame 1 which makes it quite fast. Also his jabs move him forawrd which is handy.

He has not the best Jab but few can beat or equal this.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
....Did you read what I put down? At all?

They both have frame 3 jabs meaning they are the same speed. Luigi's jab is not faster then Ike. They are equal. Luigi's B-throw isn't killing for a heck of a long time, a lot later then Ike's Dash Attack.
No, Luigi's Jab is frame 2. And this makes a big difference anyhow when you consider buffering.

Luigi's B-throw kills most characters at 140%....that's quite good when you consider that it's a throw and is basically guaranteed to never be stale if used as KO move. Also I highly doubt Ike's DA kills that early when you factor DI.

What is this bull about SDI? SDI doesn't save people from Ike's jab when the Ike knows what he is doing. SDI behind Ike? You still get hit by turn around Jab before you can act. That does nothing. SDI up? Still in range of grab or Utilt. SDI away? Still in range of dash grab or the full jab combo. Luigi would be more hurt by SDI due to the shorter range on his moves.
Luigi's Jab basically has the same range as Ike's Jab. With SDI, it's possible to be able to move above Ike's range where you can escape from his combos. And it's a lot more predictable when Ike is going to Jab, than when Luigi is going to Jab.

It doesn't matter if Ike is "forced to put almost his entire game into his Jab". It has zero baring on how good it is. The best jab in the game is still the best jab in the game. being "forced to put almost his entire game into his jab" doesn't magically make the jab slower. Or have less range. Or less hitstun. His jab would be just as good as it is now if his Neutral B granted him a FD sized, frame one OHKO move.
It does make a difference. If a player knows something is coming and can react to it consistently, then that reduces the effectiveness of that move. Luigi has more options outside of just Jabbing, meaning that Jabbing adds a lot more to his mixup options.

And from what I remember, Snake's jab lacks the hitstun to truly combo into anything. It's good, but not that good.
No, Snake's Jab has enough of a frame advantage to always combo into his F-tilt and on most characters his grab and U-tilt. Even if you could perform an action before his F-tilt came out, it would pretty much never save you from his massively disjointed followups.

None of Ike's followups from Jab do much other than deal more damage. Even Jab D-smash is pretty pathetic considering his D-smash is both laggy and weak.

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
Snake has the freaking best jab EVER! Just goes to show...all his moves r finishers! XD

Oli has one of the most disgraceful jabs ever created!

gm jack

Smash Lord
Ikes got the best jab and as for the worst.... who has that?
Ganon.

One slow laggy hit than can be shielded or spot-dodged on reaction. I would have said Zelda, who has an even slower jab, but the large disjoint and low cooldown lag mean it can be a good defensive move.

DarkLouis331

Smash Lord
I dont know why no one mentioned Lucas' jab
it has lots of speed and priority
its just as fast as Ike's with the priority to match...very similar actually

But yea Ike has the best jab
Then Snake, Falco, Lucas, ZSS, and Peach

Worst is MK, Olimar, and Pikachu
Lucas's jab is so underrated. And I think Pikachu and G&W have the worst jabs.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
lol really???
you mean me or a2zomg??

cuz my tag is JUDGE at brawl and Mr. F at melee lol

JUDGE

Smash Lord
ohhh i see you mean dinah, right ?? lol
yeah i do have this tag to but i don't use it often lol

you mean dinah right??

JUDGE

Smash Lord
oh yeah cutz the devil girl in my avi is called dinah you know lol^^
no my gamer tag is JUDGE don't worry^^

JUDGE

Smash Lord
thx lol you too^^
i think we have ta quit this nao otherwise we might get an infraction point for minor spamming lol^^

Top Bottom