• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who has the best/worst jab in the game?

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Cypher gives insane distance with momentum, does not put Snake in fallspecial, and returns to him when he is attacked. It's still an amazing move in its own right. It also explodes if you pull a second one out before the first one goes offscreen.

True...ok, I still find it his 2nd most useless move that is still usable in competitive play :p

ohaiduhg

Smash Lord
I guarantee everyone Jigglypuff's Jab>ZSS. At least with Jiggs, the jab has enough knockback to be somewhat safe.

ZSS probably has the worst jab. Everyone DIs right next to her, shields the third hit and does anything afterwards.

I vote Link has the best jab game. It's fast, relatively good ranged, and cancelable for a good amount of follow ups. Ike's isn't quite has solid as Link's, imo.

Loota

Smash Journeyman
ZSS probably has the worst jab. Everyone DIs right next to her, shields the third hit and does anything afterwards.
Something's very wrong if the ZSS is using the full jab combo when you're shielding in front of him ó_ò

But you're right that Link has a pretty good jab.

Tidal

Smash Apprentice
So if I were to say Squirtle has the best jab.
How would you respond?

ohaiduhg

Smash Lord
Something's very wrong if the ZSS is using the full jab combo when you're shielding in front of him ó_ò

But you're right that Link has a pretty good jab.
I mean, you catch someone with the jab and mid jab I think everyone except for maybe two characters can DI down and shield before the third hit. Those two characters can probably SDI down though. Or, by full, do you mean the jabjabwhatisthatthingbehindyou and run combination?:p

So if I were to say Squirtle has the best jab.
How would you respond?
Link's can cancel into pretty much any of his ground move if done right*, and

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=247362
Jab - A three-hit jab combo. The first hit comes out on frame 1, which is wonderful, as it stuffs a lot of things. Unfortunately, the opponent can shield in the middle of it at low percents, causing it to be less useful. However, because of its speed, if the opponent doesn't see it coming, you can usually get the full combo off with impunity. Because of the first jab's decent range and lack of knockback, it's useful on opponents aiming to grab the ledge; catch a Snake's mid-air jump with this and get your free stock. If your opponent happens to miss his tech on the ground, the first and second hits can cause a Jab Lock, so watch for that. A fairly useful move.
useful and all but get-out-able.

Aibou

Smash Master
I think Snake's jab is the best, followed very closely by Squirtle's.

I don't really like Jigglypuff's jab or R.O.B.'s. I'm honestly not a big fan of Marth's either. It was okay in Melee, but the Brawl version screwed it up pretty badly.

EDIT: I almost forgot. Falco's jab is like, amazing!

orange/xd

Smash Ace
Lucas's jab is very good. Probably top 10, but not the best. It is set up out of many of his approaches, is fast, and does a decent amount of damage. (3%, 3%, and 4% for a total of 10%).

Rayku

Smash Lord
Best: Ike
Worst: King Dedede/Zelda. If Pikachu's didn't trip/continue a jab lock, I'd say him.

R.O.B's jab is great its fast and i often get a grab out of it. it also knocks people away and at high dmg's i have jabbed which popped my opponent up and then i killed them with a f-smash. ROB's jab is one of my favorite moves and its so underrated and good the 2nd hit unlike many other jabs can't be shielded if the 1st hits. Its not the best in the game but is by no means bad
I never noticed tbh, thanks for that

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Worst: King Dedede/Zelda. If Pikachu's didn't trip/continue a jab lock, I'd say him.
Dedede's is pretty safe once it gets started, especially since the second hit is an upward swing.

You can jab cancel into more useful stuff, like a tilt. It's a decent one, despite the last hit usually being shield-able.

I vote Link has the best jab game. It's fast, relatively good ranged, and cancelable for a good amount of follow ups. Ike's isn't quite has solid as Link's, imo.
Link's is WAY too slow. You can't do it out of shield or expect to stuff a lot with it. Great range and everything, but the best jabs are so good because of a combination of speed and power.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Ike or Snake. That last hit on either jab hits like a smash attack :|

NNID
LilG912
Best/Decent Jabs in my opinion:

Luigi
Ike
Snake
Falco
Kirby

Worst Jabs in my opinion:

Jigglypuff (short range)
Olimar (short range)
Pikachu (short range, it'll be good to trap your opponent when he close to a wall while holding A) :laugh:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Ganondorf has the worst Jab in the game.

It's slow, punishable on block, and most importantly it is the only Jab in the game that consistently fails on spotdodges.

Reward is pretty balls at only 9%.

Zhouten

Smash Apprentice
Very surprised at seeing how few people think Ganon has the worst jab in the game. It really is, just, horrible. It's too slow to even punish anything. The MAIN purpose of a jab is to punish because the jab is a quick move.

Ganon is an exception to that, his jab has terrible startup time, and yet it also has terrible ending lag. Seriously, his grab comes out before his freaking jab. No other character (From what I know) has that flaw.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
MK's jab is 1 frame faster than Ganon's, but it has very low priority and has lots of lag before stopping it. Obviously worse than Ganon's.

Zhouten

Smash Apprentice
MK's jab is 1 frame faster than Ganon's, but it has very low priority and has lots of lag before stopping it. Obviously worse than Ganon's.
MK's jab can lock people against walls and keep them there until about 300%. Besides that, it has insane priority over other character's moves, what're you talking about?

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Use MK jab on Snake, and you'll get *****. Plus Ganon can stop people, Ganon's jab and is more useful for Ganon than MK jab by MK. MK jab sucks, more than Ganon's. MK shouldn't use it, but Ganon should, as MK has better moves that are safer and faster that do the same.

Zhouten

Smash Apprentice
Use MK jab on Snake, and you'll get *****. Plus Ganon can stop people, Ganon's jab and is more useful for Ganon than MK jab by MK. MK jab sucks, more than Ganon's. MK shouldn't use it, but Ganon should, as MK has better moves that are safer and faster that do the same.
Lol, at least you can hit Snake with MK's jab. Good luck landing one of Ganon's jabs on Snake.

BSP

Smash Legend
Well, MK's jab can't stop projjectiles can it? I think MK's is worse, you almost never see an MK using his jab.

Luigi's is really good. Ike and snake too.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Some MKs Ive faced take advantage of wifi lag to string jab into dsmash, just like how sometimes Ive seen Pits string their jab and string it into Fsmash.

Why was this bumped today anyway xD

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Well, MK's jab can't stop projjectiles can it? I think MK's is worse, you almost never see an MK using his jab.

Luigi's is really good. Ike and snake too.
You can get punished for landing MK's jab, something that doesn't happen to Ganon's. Plus MK's dtilt also locks, but it's a better move.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
He's saying anyone who know what a shield button is should not get hit by Ganon's Jab.

He a Ganon main derailing something of Ganon's.... He must be telling the truth.

Silent crisis

Smash Cadet
Personally I would Say Ike and Captain Falcon have the Best Jabs And Olimar and Mr. Game & watch have the worst

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Wario's jab can set up forward smash. It is far from the worst jab, though it isn't the best either.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Lucario's is pretty good

jab - jab - Force Palm

or jab - jab - down - repeat
You can't Force Palm them if they expect it. Lucario's jab cancels aren't fast enough, good mind games, but they won't work on people who know how Lucario's jabs work.

And yes Link can cancel into almost everything from his jabs.

Top Bottom