• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who has the best/worst jab in the game?

Geou

Smash Apprentice
Falco's jab isn't actually that great. While it comes out fast, if Falco does anything but continue the jab combo, the opponent can interrupt it because its stun is so low.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
ZSS's isn't great because most characters can powershield the third hit. She also doesn't have any jab cancel tricksies. Really it's good only because it's frame one, but squirtles is definitely better.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
@gm jack - You're missing the point. This isn't a general move discussion, this is a jab discussion. Technically DTilt, Dsmash and Nayru's love aren't jabs. We're comparing jabs, not jabs and other similar moves.

Hence

Smash Ace
I like using Jigglypuff's neutral a ground attack when the opponent is charging a powerful blow.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
That could be said with the majority of the cast. But most of them would probably say "I like using *character's* grab/fast attack when the opponent is charging a powerful blow."

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Ike's jabs are considered good because they give him a far better frame advantage than anyone else in the game. The only problem have with this is Ike's so slow that he can't utilize this as much as nearly any other character can. He has options, of course...he's not THAT slow.

I'm just saying if Kirby or Marth (somebody with fast aerials/smashes) had his jabs instead, they'd be broken.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
What's always bugged me about MK's jab is if you're getting hit out of it, shouldn't you just be, oh, I don't know... ending earlier?

It doesn't have very much endlag at all in reality. It just keeps going after you release the button for awhile. So just time your release better.

Zelda's jab is the worst. Pitiful damage, no use at all, horrible speed, can't be canceled, etc.

Also, another reason Ike's jabs are good is because they do 16 ****ing percent.

gm jack

Smash Lord
@gm jack - You're missing the point. This isn't a general move discussion, this is a jab discussion. Technically DTilt, Dsmash and Nayru's love aren't jabs. We're comparing jabs, not jabs and other similar moves.
My point was that her neutral A isn't even a jab. The only things it has on its side are decent range and cooldown lag. I think it is the slowest jab in the game, does very little damage and leads to nothing but a dash attack at certain decays and percents. And if you misjudge that, you get heavily punished.

It isn't like MK's jab, where it is good, but he always has better moves. Zelda's has a very limited potential as a defensive move, and other than that, it is useless.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Yeah, the damage AND range are both nice, as well as where they position the opponent.

The frame advantage is what separates him from the rest though. I personally believe Luigi has the best jabs, mainly because he has so many amazing options out of jab cancel that it's always a dangerous position to be in.

Jab -> dthrow -> into Luigi's ridiculous aerials

Jab -> Dsmash

Jab -> Bthrow (15 or 16% I think)

Jab -> upB

Jab -> directly into one of his aerials

or you could simply complete the jab combo.

There was a thread awhile back that I agreed with. It generally stated that Ike's options from jab are more consistent than Luigi's, however Luigi's were more devastating. Even if Luigi's options AREN'T as reliable, they're all viable options at the highest levels of play; just not guaranteed.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
relative to their movesets:

ike, luigi, peach, and sheik all have S-tier jabs

snake/falco/zss is close behind

and why are people saying "this jab is bad because [something about the third hit]"

lol I use snake's jab probably more than any other attack, and I almost never do the whole jab combo. the jab combo has little to do with why jabs are good lol

Falco's jab isn't actually that great. While it comes out fast, if Falco does anything but continue the jab combo, the opponent can interrupt it because its stun is so low.
half the entire purpose of jabs is for A. interruption and B. mindgames
not what auto combos they lead into
watch good falcos, they find plenty of things to do after jab

lil cj

Smash Lord
My votes for S tier

Ike, Snake, Lucas, Falco, ZSS, Peach, and Sheik

Really i think the ones that can jab cancel and combo
have the best jabs
Ike, Lucas, and ZSS have very good jab cancel combos

F tier would have to be
MK, Ganon, Pikachu, ICs, and Olimar

Still no one mentions Lucas...his jab is just as good as Ike's
Has the same speed,priority, and combo capabilities(actually more than Ike)
It just doesnt have as much range as Ike's

Veggi

Smash Champion
What's always bugged me about MK's jab is if you're getting hit out of it, shouldn't you just be, oh, I don't know... ending earlier?

It doesn't have very much endlag at all in reality. It just keeps going after you release the button for awhile. So just time your release better.

Zelda's jab is the worst. Pitiful damage, no use at all, horrible speed, can't be canceled, etc.

MK's jab leaves him devoted to doing that action for a set period of time. If you don't hit them, he's stuck in that animation for a good amount of time. While the character is inside MK's sword swings they can shield and punish you. When you end it is irrelevant because you are still punishable and the move has ending lag that makes it unsafe.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
My votes for S tier

have the best jabs

F tier would have to be

I would replace Ganon with Jiggly for F-tier.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Zelda jab is pretty bad. Hits on frame 9 I think which is only 1 frame faster then a game and watch dsmash. Doesn't combo into anything, and the damage isn't too much nor is the range. Also because of it's cool down and priority it's not very good at being spammed either.
It's not all that great, but some corrections...

It's frame 11 (and not even disjointed then).

It combos into dash attack and ftilt at certain %s.

The cooldown on it is amazing. It is great for many SH approaches because of the hitboxes and the priority. I don't think we should be basing a Jab off of how well it can be spammed.

Zelda's Jab isnt' that bad. It might be slow for a jab, but it's still fast and little cool down time. It's a great get out of my face move.
It's a horrible get out of my face move. It's a defensive move designed to combat aerial approaches that Usmash can't reach. If you want someone to get out of your face, you better use Dsmash or Usmash. Jab, Dsmash, and Usmash are pretty much all just as punishable on block, so you might as well go with the faster option.

Honestly, who cares about the damage of a defensive JAB? I would rather do 2% to you and not get hit than to try to do something stupid to block an approach that Usmash won't get and get hit.

"No use at all" is wrong. It's her best option to go with Usmash for ground-to-air combat. You just use the one that the opponent is in range for.

Horrible speed and can't be canceled is true. Good thing it's meant to fight assaults from a distance and not when you could be using Usmash instead.

Melfice z

Smash Ace
My votes for S tier

have the best jabs

F tier would have to be

Lucas' jab also has less knockback and about half the range XD
thats why id put it at bottom S or high A

I think our foundation should start with the mid/most basic jab, and then build upward and downward from there

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Pikachu's jab is decent. It hits on frame 2 (I think), and often hits multiple times before the opponent can DI out of it. In addition, pikachu can jab lock with it if the opponent misses a tech (when their damage is above 70%). Add this to the fact that pikachu can force a missed tech with the footstool combo, and that makes his jab a very useful move. In addition, pikachu also has an excellent spotdodge (the after-lag is a mere 2 frames), which means spot-dodge to jab can be used to dodge other attacks and hit the enemy quickly.

gm jack

Smash Lord
Honestly, who cares about the damage of a defensive JAB? I would rather do 2% to you and not get hit than to try to do something stupid to block an approach that Usmash won't get and get hit.
If it doesn't do much damage, it isn't much of a deterrent. If it was quicker, it would be more useful, but it is so slow it can be dealt with on reaction. Admittedly, the cooldown is low enough that that shouldn't get you in too much trouble, but it isn't a good jab. That said, I do think there are worse after reading your points. It is still just a poor move, but it does have a bit of use.

For ZSS, the fact the 3rd hit can be powershielded is not much of an issue, as you can use the fast first hit to interrupt what they are doing to reset spacing, which within her game is brilliant.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
My votes for S tier

have the best jabs

F tier would have to be

You might as well add lucario if you're going to mention jabs that have jab canceling (and go unmentioned). It's a decent jab people sometimes overlook, it has great range for a jab (can stop lots of aerial approaches), but it's retardedly slow (frame 6) for a jab.
I'm certainly not saying he's got the best one (by far I think it gets overshadowed by plenty others), but it's still got some good stuff that nobody has mentioned (including the obvious fact it jab cancels, goes into grab/FP, and his aerials decently, and at high aura cap it does 14 percent, not amazing considering you could be doing more useful things at that percent usually, but it's still pretty good).

These threads are pretty stupid, I think someone mentioned they wouldn't mind if we asked politely whether these threads annoy people, but they kind of do.

Oh, and obviously ike jab for uber tier. You also didn't mention squirtle, who's also pretty overlooked (1 frame jab like zss, and practically can always do ftilt->AAA).

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
and why is everyone saying ganon's jab sucks

its a solid move
9 frames start-up, 25 frames of lag, non-multi (meaning, no jab cancels), and does as low as 5% damage.

Yeah, if that's what you want to call a "solid move", then go ahead.

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
9 frames start-up, 25 frames of lag, non-multi (meaning, no jab cancels), and does as low as 5% damage.

Yeah, if that's what you want to call a "solid move", then go ahead.
Ray Kalm Niam,

Ganondorf's Jab is very Laggy and Bad, but can be a little bit useful if you use Correctly. Look at the Sonic and Pikachu's Jab. The Jab of Ganondorf isn't the Real Worst Jab, unless someone don't know how to use.

Anyway, You're Pretty Right...

Nice Explanation Ray Kalm Niam.

Rayku

Smash Lord
Metaknight's jab is good in one situation, ever.

On pictochat, the one with the blocks and stairs and such, if you manage to trap yourself and your opponent in the smallest little box at the bottom right, you can get about 80% done to them without them able to do anything to you until the boxes disappear.

That is all I've ever used Metaknight's jab for.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Isn't Jab guarenteed after a side-B on certain characters? That being your only guarenteed follow up?

I'd call that pretty ****ing useful.
Jab, Dtilt, and Ftilt can be possible followups against certain characters. There's a list somewhere down in the bowels of the Ganon boards that tells what you can do to each character.

Choke -> Jab is guaranteed on Meta Knight, Snake, Kirby, and a few others iirc. Kalm can point you in the right direction.

B!squick

Smash Master
iDA is guaranteed on more characters and is better. I think. I only lurk the Ganon Board. >.> The only cool thing about Ganon's jab is that it's the only one I ever seen kill.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Falco has the best jab. Period. It's really no contest.

Top Bottom