• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who has the best/worst jab in the game?

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
Luigi's jab is great. Fast, long range and can be followed by kill moves or canceled. Mario's is better because it's more easily canceled, but I doubt either of them contend for best..As for best, I'd say it's Ike, Squirtle or Snake, with some other good ones being Falco, Link and Bowser. The worst is MK's, dude. That's a free grab.

UberMario

Smash Master
Worst Meta-Knight

Best Mario *is biased* but seriously it's one of the few that has both high damage and a jab lock

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
Best Mario *is biased* but seriously it's one of the few that has both high damage and a jab lock
I think Mario's Jab can be useful for other purposes like Spacing and Rack Up Damage.
But the Best ? I don't think so dude, since is possible to DI the Jab Lock.

SilverSpark

Smash Journeyman
Ike has the best.
PIKACHU has the worst.

Stop making these threads.
Pikachu's jab can gimp many characters (i.e. Lucas/Ness/CF/Ganon) and it works very well when you're by the edge.

It also can cause tripping, it's used in the jab lock, and it's good for countering slower moves. I really dont think Pikachu has the worst jab.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
What do you mean? I thought once you start a jab-lock on someone it's impossible for them to get out of until you finish it off.
No. If you just hold the control stick, you can break out.

Pikachu's jab can gimp many characters (i.e. Lucas/Ness/CF/Ganon) and it works very well when you're by the edge.
Only if the player's a complete idiot and doesn't know how to recover.

It also can cause tripping, it's used in the jab lock, and it's good for countering slower moves. I really dont think Pikachu has the worst jab.
What possible followups are guaranteed out of a trip?

DI the jab lock, and you're better off punishing slower moves with a tilt. It's one of the worst.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Fastest: ZSS
Slowest: Zelda (if startup lag only)
Non-multi hit: Ganondorf, who else has a one hit jab other than Zelda?
Range: Zelda, Ike, Ganon
Power: Snake, Ganondorf,

Overall Worst IMO: Samus or Meta
Overall Best IMO: Ike
My favorite: Yoshi ^_^

Pika's can trip people for a free hit, so it's not the worst, I've followed up with a fsmash at times when they dont expect the trip
GaW pisses me off when I'm stuck in it

Edit: I thought jab locks couldnt be DIed

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace

Pikachu's Jab isn't too good.. c'mon..

WTF ? I don't think Pikachu can gimp Ganondorf with his Jab.

I think Pikachu's Jab can be useful only for Spacing or Stop Approaches.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Fastest: ZSS
Slowest: Zelda (if startup lag only)
Non-multi hit: Ganondorf, who else has a one hit jab other than Zelda?
Range: Zelda, Ike, Ganon
Power: Snake, Ganondorf,

Overall Worst IMO: Samus or Meta
Overall Best IMO: Ike
My favorite: Yoshi ^_^

Pika's can trip people for a free hit, so it's not the worst, I've followed up with a fsmash at times when they dont expect the trip
GaW pisses me off when I'm stuck in it

Edit: I thought jab locks couldnt be DIed
Jab Lock's can be DI'd. Just hold one direction.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
In my opinion, the best:

1. Ike's is definately the best considering it does 16 (?) % if all three hits land, it's among the easiest to cancel grabs and other attacks out of, it's one of the hardest ones to shield grab, and it has a decent amount of KO potential too.

2. Falco's is great for shield pressure, can easily be canceled into grabs, has a ton priority, and very hard to shield grab.

3. Peach's is probably the fastest and can easily be done out of shield and to counter slower attacks.

4. ZSS's is easy to cancel attacks into, extremelly fast, and probably one of the best "AHH GET OFF ME, GET OFF ME" attacks in the game. :laugh:

5. Captain Falcon's jab can easily be cancelled into other attacks, has good range, and it's hard to shield grab.

Come to think of it, Squirtle, Bowser, and Pit have good jabs too. The only jabs that I would consider "bad" I guess are Marth, Jigglypuff, and Donkey Kong. Some jabs are significantly better if you only use the first or second attack like Link, Toon Link, Lucario, and Snake.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Donkey Kong? Has a bad jab? Since when?

You might be thinking of Dedede.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
And Samus? Doesn't seem very good IMO, though it can knock opponents away pretty fast.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Zelda's jab isn't non-multi. Ganon has the only non-multi jab in the game, it's also one of the slowest (8 frames), and THE laggiest. Pikachu and Mr.Game & Watch have spammable jabs, so I wouldn't consider those non-multi. Ganon can't jab cancel, nor spam his one-hit jab. The damage on it isn't that high, considering it's only a hit jab (5%-9%).

Ganon's jab has to be the worst.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Ike's is the best. Fast, moves, damage, cancels well.

Jiggz's is pretty bad, I think MKs is the worst though since you're stuck in it forever

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Donkey Kong? Has a bad jab? Since when?

You might be thinking of Dedede.
Dedede's, like Pikachu and Metaknight's, is at least annoying since perfect shielding it is hard due to the multiple hits, it pushes your opponent back if they shield normally, you can't side step it and you can't really roll behind it due to it's weird hitbox, and it's very hard to shield grab. The range for DK's isn't that great and it's probably among the easiest jabs to counter/shield grab, side step, and roll around. There aren't really any follow ups for it and it's not all that effective of getting people off you if they get too close. Basically, King Dedede's isn't that great due to its lack of follow ups while DK's isn't that great because it's fairly easy to counter AND it has a lack of follow ups.

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
DK's Jab isn't bad. His Jab is very useful in certain situations and essential for his Metagame.

2 Hits - 10%

Very Interesting.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I'd really love to prove that statement wrong, but that would require me having to go get frame data, damage statistics, and testing.

So I'll just agree with you.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Why is everyone saying you can DI jab locks? that's where you bounce off the ground helpless to do anything. Is everyone thinking of just jab combos? (3 hits from snake for instance)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
DK's Jab isn't bad. His Jab is very useful in certain situations and essential for his Metagame.

2 Hits - 10%

Very Interesting.
Essential? No, that'd definately be his ftilt and dtilt. DK's jab also can't quickly be canceled into other attacks or grabs either. All in all, I'd say it's his second worst attack in front of the headbutt.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Why is everyone saying you can DI jab locks? that's where you bounce off the ground helpless to do anything. Is everyone thinking of just jab combos? (3 hits from snake for instance)
When you bounce off the ground, you can control just how far you go. Suppose you were getting jab lock'd by Mario. You can DI toward him, or away. If they can't adapt, then you're free. Though they can just stop after the third jab and get a free Fsmash because of forced get-up.

When I say you can DI a jab lock, you can't do anything. You're helpless. You can only try to interrupt it by shifting your momentum in either direction. You still can't use any moves, airdodge, or tech.

bobson

Smash Lord
Dedede's, like Pikachu and Metaknight's, is at least annoying since perfect shielding it is hard due to the multiple hits, it pushes your opponent back if they shield normally, you can't side step it and you can't really roll behind it due to it's weird hitbox, and it's very hard to shield grab.
You can't really compare Dedede's jab with Pikachu's and Metaknight's because his "multi-jab" only comes out after the first two jabs which are about as slow as his dash attack combined. The opponent has plenty of times to punish you OoS before the multi comes out. That is, of course, if they hadn't already punished you before you even got a hitbox out because the first jab is so **** slow.

Pikachu's and Metaknight's can, at the very least, catch you off guard.

prince_of_darkness

Smash Cadet
Fastest jab: Zss, Squirtle
Slowest jab: Ganon, Zelda
Non-Multi jab: Ganon, Zelda*
Laggiest jab: Dedede, Ganon
Range: Ike,Falco,Snake
Power: Ike (Damage), Snake (KO potential)

Frame 1: Zss, Squirtle
Frame 2: Falco
Frame 3: Snake, Ike

Frame 8 : (lol) Ganon

Not sure about everyone else.

Discussion now......

While Zss and squirtle's jab come out on frame 1, Most characters can Powershield~DI the last hit ,all together making them not quite so useful..... However, they can work very well for clearing, and it's a free jab combo in the air:lick: (Zss's can't be canceled that well). Not Sure if any of this applies to squirtle actually, lol.

Snake's jab is very powerful and comes out at frame 3, However the last hit can almost ALWAYS be SDI' ed. Snake's jab may combo very well with his other moves, and will likely be canceled quite well into a F-tilt.

Not bad at all, really, If you ignore the last hit.

G&W's jab can't really be canceled into anything, and is very easo to PS and punish if it fails to connect. Not sure if there's any use for this move at all.:dizzy:

Meta knight's jab comes out fast with great range and priority, and can follow up into a downsmash near the ledge.

Granted, it comes with a lot of end lag, and is likely a mistake by the player when used.

You will ALWAYS have BETTER options than this move.

Overall, It's Definitely Ike or falco, For obvious Reasons i would rather not explain.

I say Ike and squirtle got the best grab.
As far as worst...I don't know.
Thread~~

Not sure about Dk, But is Dedede's jab really that bad? :(

I think Ivysaur has an infinite somewhere on DP ****
LOL

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
Essential? No, that'd definately be his ftilt and dtilt. DK's jab also can't quickly be canceled into other attacks or grabs either. All in all, I'd say it's his second worst attack in front of the headbutt.
It's impossible to compare DK tilts with his Jabs. Of Course, DK Tilts is much better than Jab. I just said that his Jab isn't too bad and I think is useful in his Metagame. We should talk about Jabs, since this Thread is destinated to talk about Jabs.

Sukai

Smash Champion
The best would be Snake's, followed by Ike's.

Worst would be Olimar's, Ganon's jab is a great gtfo move and Zelda's spaces nicely and is arguably hard to punish because it's a multi-hitter. Olimar's is close range, has barely any use and is easily punishable.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
The fact that Ike's metagame revolves around his jab has no influence on his jab compared to everyone elses. Nor does Snake's tilts have ANYTHING to do with the best jabs. I think it is Ike's followed by Snake though.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Ike has the best jab in the game~

His entire meta game revolves around his jab.

Snake, Has his F-Tilt, and nades..... :)

Just to clarify.
Remember that jabs aren't decided on their greatness by how important they are to that specific character. Snake has a better metagame than Ike; the fact that HIS metagame doesn't revolve around jabs doesn't really matter too much, because he's basically a better character. Like MK doesn't really use his jab at all, but it's not bad. That said, Ike's jab is still the best.

EDIT: Oh, didn't see GWJumpman's post...

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Yoshi doesn't even come close. Top 15, maybe.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I do have to agree that Sonic's jab is pretty bad, but I wouldn't say its THE worst. Not yet.
Isn't G&W's not good at all? Easy to DI out of, little damage, and if the opponent spaces properly, can get a free smash on the G&W?
The thing is though, after Mr. G&W D-Throws you, if you don't tech the throw jab can set up right up to be grabbed again. you have little reason to perform Sonic's jab other than being 1 frame faster than his tilt(/s?) and refreshing his other moves, because it does a whooping 7% damage, has terrible range, and can't even be canceled into anything.

I don't think sonic's jab's the worst, and that's not because I'm a fan. It's because it has decent range and OK damage.
What?

What do you mean? I thought once you start a jab-lock on someone it's impossible for them to get out of until you finish it off.
I think Mario's Jab can be useful for other purposes like Spacing and Rack Up Damage.
But the Best ? I don't think so dude, since is possible to DI the Jab Lock.
No. If you just hold the control stick, you can break out.

DI the jab lock, and you're better off punishing slower moves with a tilt. It's one of the worst.
Listen to these two.

Zelda's jab isn't non-multi. Ganon has the only non-multi jab in the game, it's also one of the slowest (8 frames), and THE laggiest. Pikachu and Mr.Game & Watch have spammable jabs, so I wouldn't consider those non-multi. Ganon can't jab cancel, nor spam his one-hit jab. The damage on it isn't that high, considering it's only a hit jab (5%-9%).

Ganon's jab has to be the worst.
Hmm... I dunno... at least Ganon's jab sends people flying, plus, he doesn't afraid of groping people.

Top Bottom