• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who Has the Best General Purpose Dair in the Game?

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
i sense a biased thread. MK's dair is good, but its not THAT good. i dont think peaches dair is that good either. thunderstorming w/ ganon is really good, G&W key is >.<, ect. i don think MK and peach should get top 2
You think everyone is biased.

Moosetracks

Smash Cadet
Captain Falcon has a majorly underrated dair..... It's really precise spiking and little delay. Quite useful on the ground also if done with the right timing. In fact, Captain Falcon is a majorly underrated character in Brawl overall.....

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Links Dair will always kill you with just one costly mistake.
Deva Ko'ed DSF's meta knight with nothing but dairs in one match.
Mr. Gaw's dair edgeguards well, Ganondorf is basicly the only one with a spike in this game.
Purpose wise though Jiggly's lets her combo into rest kills which is 100% awesome.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Ness

Pros:
  1. Spiking can kill at a decent percent
  2. Has a big hitbox
  3. Can sweet and sour spot
  4. Good for hitting spotdodgers
  5. Good for pressuring shields
Cons:
  1. Start up and ending lag

Nothing else I can really think of at the moment.

EDIT: Guys, this isn't about who can spike easier than others. This is about using dair over all.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
i sense a biased thread. MK's dair is good, but its not THAT good. i dont think peaches dair is that good either.
I sense an ignorant poster.

thunderstorming w/ ganon is really good,
You think Ganon's laggy Dair is better than MK's no-startup-lag no-ending-lag huge-hitbox-that-gimps-offstage dair? >_>

G&W key is >.<,
It's very good, but it can also be shielded and punished...by Peach's dair ;), MK's dair, or a footstool.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
diddys dair comes out mad quick and surprising, good spike too.

dairs sould be either a spike, or some kind of clearing space tool like mks

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
Ness

Pros:
  1. Spiking can kill at a decent percent
  2. Has a big hitbox
  3. Can sweet and sour spot
  4. Good for hitting spotdodgers
  5. Good for pressuring shields
Cons:
  1. Start up and ending lag

Nothing else I can really think of at the moment.

EDIT: Guys, this isn't about who can spike easier than others. This is about using dair over all.
Let's add.

Pros: Sourspot has more horizontal knockback than his sweetspotted Bair. Making it one of his best kill moves.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Maybe I am biased as a Lucario, but I find that in terms of sheer usefulness Lucario's d-air definitely trumps Peach's. Meta Knight, hes a little tougher to outdo, though there IS definitely a little bit of ending lag on his d-air, its incredibly easy to see when you compare it to say his u-air.

Still, if only because it stalls his momentum in the air which is something INCREDIBLY useful because it compliments and adds an entirely new dimension to his air game, I have to say that Lucario's d-air is the best in the game.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Peach's Dair is also very good, and Kirby's.
Kirby's is only good if you use kirby often. I fell like kirby's dair can be shield'd too easily. Lucario diar is phenomnal but it on;y has a few follow-ups. The best one being his D-air once more.

So peach win's.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Maybe I am biased as a Lucario, but I find that in terms of sheer usefulness Lucario's d-air definitely trumps Peach's. Meta Knight, hes a little tougher to outdo, though there IS definitely a little bit of ending lag on his d-air, its incredibly easy to see when you compare it to say his u-air.

Still, if only because it stalls his momentum in the air which is something INCREDIBLY useful because it compliments and adds an entirely new dimension to his air game, I have to say that Lucario's d-air is the best in the game.
Peach can stall her momentum in the air for much longer thanks to float, and because, unlike Lucario's Dair, her dair can put continuous pressure on a shield, especially on characters incapable of punishing it against a shield at the right angle (ROB, Olimar, etc), I consider Peach's more useful. It heavily influences her playstyle, serves as a projectile shield, combos, and autocancels into grabs or smashes. And it's harder to punish than Lucario's.

Besides, I can just uptilt Lucario's Dair :p

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Peach can stall her momentum in the air for much longer thanks to float, and because, unlike Lucario's Dair, her dair can put continuous pressure on a shield, especially on characters incapable of punishing it against a shield at the right angle (ROB, Olimar, etc), I consider Peach's more useful. It heavily influences her playstyle, serves as a projectile shield, combos, and autocancels into grabs or smashes. And it's harder to punish than Lucario's.

Besides, I can just uptilt Lucario's Dair :p

Peach's float is not part of her d-air. It compliments her d-air though (or rather supplements it) and definitely makes it a great move, but it takes Peach's float to make d-air good. Lucario's d-air is good regardless because the stopping of momentum is a part of the move itself. Plus you can only stop your momentum once with float.

Its a bit difficult to work out situational issues like how an attack fares against different characters though. Peach's d-air definitely is devastating against some characters, but against others I dont feel that it can be nearly as useful as Lucario's.

My approach to this though is looking at what the move actually ADDS to the characters game and I feel that the ability to stop your falling for a moment with an attack that has great speed and range just adds a phenomenal amount to Lucario's game. I feel that a move that can allow you subtle control over your character is an incredible asset, I would even say that Peach's ability to float is more useful than any of her aerials.

Joxer

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJej6kCgxVM
Peach's float is not part of her d-air. It compliments her d-air though (or rather supplements it) and definitely makes it a great move, but it takes Peach's float to make d-air good. Lucario's d-air is good regardless because the stopping of momentum is a part of the move itself. Plus you can only stop your momentum once with float.

Its a bit difficult to work out situational issues like how an attack fares against different characters though. Peach's d-air definitely is devastating against some characters, but against others I dont feel that it can be nearly as useful as Lucario's.

My approach to this though is looking at what the move actually ADDS to the characters game and I feel that the ability to stop your falling for a moment with an attack that has great speed and range just adds a phenomenal amount to Lucario's game. I feel that a move that can allow you subtle control over your character is an incredible asset, I would even say that Peach's ability to float is more useful than any of her aerials.
I am including peaches ability to use a floating dair in the moves versatility.

The big reason that I have MK's Dair better than lucario's is its insane range and the fact that it can set up combos and kill, along with its other benefts. There is also that fact that it seems to have no downsides

Browny

Smash Hater
for ness, his dair doesnt KO at decent %'s, it KO's at all %'s. unless you are at like full double jump height and you dair a DDD at 0% that might be the only way they ill survive.

Sharky

Smash Master
Yoshi's Flutter Kick
Pro's:
1. 34 damage when all kicks connect.
2. Can drag offstage opponent down to their death (small spike as well)
3. Can lead into a combo in midair or when autocanceled. (dair->footstool, dair->nair, dair->fastfalled uair, dair->dsmash, dair-jab, dair->groundpound, etc.)
4. Quick start-up

Cons:
1. Bad landing lag when not auto-canceled.
2. Relatively small hitbox (not really, but just to put another con in)

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Falcons is still applicable as you can autocancel it into knee. and can also be kinda used like thunderstorming but not to it's maximum benefit as it doesn't do more damage, more like a kinda shield pressure thing as you can still get height out it to avoid shield grabbing. Rumors are going around that it leads into uptilt as well. It also has pretty good horizontal knockback at the edge.

Ganon - thunderstorming that is all.

Kappie

Smash Apprentice
im also defending my main (like everybody else here lolz) but this time with good reason. It's Lucario. No doubt about it.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
Yoshi's Flutter Kick
Pro's:
1. 34 damage when all kicks connect.
2. Can drag offstage opponent down to their death (small spike as well)
3. Can lead into a combo in midair or when autocanceled. (dair->footstool, dair->nair, dair->fastfalled uair, dair->dsmash, dair-jab, dair->groundpound, etc.)
4. Quick start-up

Cons:
1. Bad landing lag when not auto-canceled.
QFT. I think Yoshi deserves to be right below GnW on the list. As Dair's go, it's a very useful move.

I think the current top 4 (MK, Lucario, Peach, Wario) are correct. The order is debatable, but it's definitely between them.
I still say Lucario's serves more purpose overall, and personally I think Peach's is on the same level as MK.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
  • Samus' D-air - Pro(s)
    • At low and/or moderate damage, Samus can combo her d-air with her Screw Attack, u-air or b-air. At hight damage, it can star KO.
    • Easy to d-air while passing through passable platforms.
    • One of Samus' methods to KO'ing her opponent.

I honestly can't think of any cons.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
  • Samus' D-air - Pro(s)
    • At low and/or moderate damage, Samus can combo her d-air with her Screw Attack, u-air or b-air. At hight damage, it can star KO.
    • Easy to d-air while passing through passable platforms.
    • One of Samus' methods to KO'ing her opponent.

I honestly can't think of any cons.
It has start up lag.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Edit: read the OP and realized your choices are well thought out, so I decided not to make a joke post

Eh, in the game, MK's Dair causes me more trouble than most other moves.

In comparison of that character than their moveset? Probably Fox.

crewster

Smash Lord
I would say Marth's. It spikes people and it doesn't make Marth Fast Fall.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Wario's dair semi lock...annoying string...whatever you wanna call it should be noted. Lucario's is effected by aura so thats a good and bad thing I guess.

Also I think Lucas's dair is pretty solid. Great range as far as d-airs go I guess.

Gindler

Smash Champion
As far as best spikes go...I'd say samus since she can do 4 spikes without going back to the stage and still recover afterwards (I've done it to a snake trying to get back)

I still like yoshi's although I only use it while rising up from the edge for the 45ish% "combo" and for shuttle loop defense since it seems to always beat it. Plus it's frustrating to get stuck in.

For best Dair though...I'd say Lucario, it beats out almost anything any of my characters can do. I have to punish between each Dair which is about the same time you have to punish MKs Dair chains "/

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Peachs' is close, but overall Lucarios serves more purpose. Helps with his recovery, insane priority, good ko power, and a disjointed hitbox. Peachs' is only used as an approach option and a combo starter.

Top Bottom