• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who Has the Best General Purpose Dair in the Game?

Joxer

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJej6kCgxVM
Peach's dair autocancels into other attacks (including sometimes usmash and usually jab-grabs), utterly destroys spotdodgers, gives her a good approach game and pressures shields. Plus, having no ending lag, you can dair>nair for kills at really high %.

It's not as good as some other dairs (MK?) at high %, but it's possibly the best to have at low % and gives people something to worry about at all percentages.
A sound argument. Rank #4? Higher? Lower?

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
mario

nah lol.. ness, its way too powerful

you kind of missed kirby, an easy to land, with huge hitbox semi spike combined with 6 jumps

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Peach is #2.

Better then Lucario. It's like a longer version of his with better options after is over.
Better then G&W durrrr. G&W's isn't good if you know how to perfect shield.
Better then Falco. lolwut? Falco? Maybe just because of the chaingrab spike thing, but that can be avoided.

Peach's Dair is just too good. Perfect shielding all the hits is so hard. It took me forever just to pull it off once in a match.

With floating, of course.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
A sound argument. Rank #4? Higher? Lower?
Um, do we get to assume float with the dair?

Without float, actually lower. Without float, it's nice because it autocancels, but it can be punished because people'll just shieldgrab you.

With float assumed, #4 sounds good...maybe even higher, I'm not sure. I think MK's is better, maybe Wario's...but not Lucario's, my rival's a Lucario main, and Lucario's dair is GREAT, but I like Peach's better.

Peach's Dair actually makes some matchups. It lets her approach Pit (Dair blocks arrows while you float), ROB can't punish Dair's against his shield if properly spaced so you can just keep dairing his shield until he rolls then punish him, and Olimar just gets ***** by it in general. For the matchups that can punish it (Toon Link, for example), it provides a decent projectile shield, can be used out of shield and out of footstool, and punishes any and all spotdodges.

Joxer

Smash Apprentice
Um, do we get to assume float with the dair?

Without float, actually lower. Without float, it's nice because it autocancels, but it can be punished because people'll just shieldgrab you.

With float assumed, #4 sounds good...maybe even higher, I'm not sure. I think MK's is better, maybe Wario's...but not Lucario's, my rival's a Lucario main, and Lucario's dair is GREAT, but I like Peach's better.

Peach's Dair actually makes some matchups. It lets her approach Pit (Dair blocks arrows while you float), ROB can't punish Dair's against his shield if properly spaced so you can just keep dairing his shield until he rolls then punish him, and Olimar just gets ***** by it in general. For the matchups that can punish it (Toon Link, for example), it provides a decent projectile shield, can be used out of shield and out of footstool, and punishes any and all spotdodges.
I assumed with or without float, meaning both sets of pros and cons apply.
(sorry, double post)

Joxer

Smash Apprentice
Fox's is the best by far.

Used for approach, stabbing though and diminishing shields, combos into a plethora of moves including grabs and killers.
Better than MKs? Does it have landing lag? If you miss (which is easy to do with the small hitbox) can you it punished? Can it be used effectively on airborne foes as well as ones on the ground? Can it set up comboes as well as kill?

Deoxys

Smash Lord
Probably Wario, Lucario, MK, Ganon. They're pretty difficult to punish and are amazingly good moves.
Ganon's has much less synergy with his recovery than Lucario, Wario, and MK (and ESPECIALLY Peach) do with theirs. IMO the best is MK's.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
As far as usefulness goes, I think Lucario is the best overall. Honorable mentions go to Peach, Wario, Ganon, Yoshi, and MK.

MK's is good, no doubt, but I don't think it's the best in the game. It's totally possible to shield grab if done too close to the ground, and the kill trajectory doesn't start being a problem until around 80-ish for any character with a decent recovery.

Zujira

Smash Apprentice
Better than MKs? Does it have landing lag? If you miss (which is easy to do with the small hitbox) can you it punished? Can it be used effectively on airborne foes as well as ones on the ground? Can it set up comboes as well as kill?
It's not nearly as good as MK's but it's pretty good. No landing lag, it is punishable via shield grab, if you hit an opponent that's airborne with it, they're gonna take 20%ish damage assuming they don't DI, it's his best set up move for combos (D-air to u-tilt to utilt to whatever, d-air to UpB, d-air to jab, d-air to all his smashes, he can d-air into pretty much anything if it hits.) It can combo into kills, but doesn't have any killpower itself.

Also, lucario's dair doesn't send them THAT vertically, it sends them further horizontally than it does veritcally.

On another note, drop Toon Link, his dair is trash, one of the worst in the game.

Joxer

Smash Apprentice
It's not nearly as good as MK's but it's pretty good. No landing lag, it is punishable via shield grab, if you hit an opponent that's airborne with it, they're gonna take 20%ish damage assuming they don't DI, it's his best set up move for combos (D-air to u-tilt to utilt to whatever, d-air to UpB, d-air to jab, d-air to all his smashes, he can d-air into pretty much anything if it hits.) It can combo into kills, but doesn't have any killpower itself.

Also, lucario's dair doesn't send them THAT vertically, it sends them further horizontally than it does veritcally.

On another note, drop Toon Link, his dair is trash, one of the worst in the game.
So fox for #3?

Samuelson

Smash Lord
I think that Lucario's Dair is the best but i might just be biased.

Lucario's Dair has tons of uses while most of these only have a couple. Lucario's Dair also has insane range and priority and is one of the best stage spiking moves in the game. Any attempt for an opponent to combo Lucario is stopped by Dair. It out ranges and out prioritizes tons of Uairs, Utilts and Usmashes. It helps him get back to the stage safely. It's good for ending strings of attacks and is good for gimping recoveries. You can use it to grab the ledge. You can use it out of shield. It's extremely fast and has no landing lag. If you time it right it out prioritizes MK's shuttle loop.

There's probably a couple of things that I'm forgetting but o well.

Zujira

Smash Apprentice
I'd say around 6-7, it's a great move when you can actually hit with it, but unlike most of the other d-airs here, it's hitbox is extremely small, and it's not disjointed, which means you can't really fall down on an opponent with it like you can with pretty much everyone else's on the list (except Falco.)

Joxer

Smash Apprentice
Deoxys beat me to it. Ike's D-air is not far behind Ganondorf's in my opinion.
My argument against even including Ike's Dair on the list is the same argument that I have against having ness's Dair on the list: They are not general purpose Dairs. They are very situational spikes. The reason that Ganon's makes the list is because it can kill even when used on the stage, can combo into itself and other moves, auto-cancels, and spikes.

AndrewCarlson

Smash Journeyman
Oh, I didn't want it on the list. I was just making a point of how it could be used as a killing move on the ground like Ganondorf's.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Personally, I'd go with Wario, Fox, and Metaknight. With Wario, they're easy to string together early on and remains dependible into the higher percentages. With Fox, it just opens up so many oppurtunities if it hits like reflector tech chases, pillars, and utilt juggles. With Metaknight, it's pretty obvious and I don't really need to say much regarding it.

Call me stupid but I'm surprized no one has said Jigglypuff. Dair into rest may not be the most dependible string of attacks but it's nice when you can actually pull it off. Also, I like how floatly the attack is over all and how you can basically jump back and forth with it and just annoy the crap out of your opponent.

Joxer

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I'd go with Wario, Fox, and Metaknight. With Wario, they're easy to string together early on and remains dependible into the higher percentages. With Fox, it just opens up so many oppurtunities if it hits like reflector tech chases, pillars, and utilt juggles. With Metaknight, it's pretty obvious and I don't really need to say much regarding it.

Call me stupid but I'm surprized no one has said Jigglypuff. Dair into rest may not be the most dependible string of attacks but it's nice when you can actually pull it off. Also, I like how floatly the attack is over all and how you can basically jump back and forth with it and just annoy the crap out of your opponent.
Contender #10 for Jiggs? Or possibly better?

TP

Smash Master
I'd say around 6-7, it's a great move when you can actually hit with it, but unlike most of the other d-airs here, it's hitbox is extremely small, and it's not disjointed, which means you can't really fall down on an opponent with it like you can with pretty much everyone else's on the list (except Falco.)
It is disjointed on the sides.

Also, it says in the first post that it is bad if not autocancelled. I don't think I have done a not-ACed Dair as Ganon in a month. It just doesn't happen.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Fox's is way too easy to punish. Also, Ganon's dair is amazing at any time because it is autocancellable. Can be used offstage for ridiculous spiking, on stage to rack up like 44% in 3 seconds, and then later to kill or techchase murder chokes.

Falco's dair is also very good. Really fast startup, can spike, cna be used pretty much whenever, lol.

Peach's dair is multi hit, as is Kirby's, so you can SDI them.

MKs downair is also punishable if he does it anywhere that's not offstage. It's one of his only moves with like... "lag." A Wario downair is unpunishable unless the Wario sucks and divebombs it into the ground, as it has no landing lag after a certain point and can be seamlessly followed up w/ a fsmash, grab, or bite.

Tyrael64

Smash Journeyman
Lucario's Dair does not send them diagonally up. It appears to send the enemy in just about any direction except down. The direction they fly is dependant upon where they are in relation to the "center" of the blue flame puff.

I can't illustrate this that well without photoshop, but I'll try using text. The "o" is the center of the Dair puff.

o_ At this angle, the enemy would be launched sideways to the right.

o- At this angle, the enemy would be launched diagonally up to the right.

o" At this angle, if the second hit connects, the enemy would be popped up sightly.

o
l

At this angle, the enemy would be launched sideways, depending on their DI.

Adapt

Smash Lord
Link's Dair doesn't spike, it's just a **** good kill move out the top

TL's dair spikes but I would never call it top because of ending lag and high chance of suicide

Nitrix

Smash Ace
It is a toss-up between Peach and MK. Lucario comes in third. Peach's does very good damage, and can pressure shields. Metaknights has good priority and is rediculously fast. Lucario's is good all-around and can KO.

Overall, those are the top 3 imo.

laki

Smash Apprentice
Lucarios is the second best behind Metaknight.

Peaches seems better because it is so important to her gameplay but Lucarios is just the ****.

Heres to killing Metaknight with dair after he tries to shuttle loop.

Tyrael64

Smash Journeyman
Good points for Luc inthe first post. Might want to add that his Dair, like all his Aura moves, gets stronger with Lucario's health, dealing a maximum of 22.3% damage at full health modifier (168% = 2.0x damage), which makes it one of the deadliest in the game in terms of sheer numbers.

brinboy789

Smash Champion
i sense a biased thread. MK's dair is good, but its not THAT good. i dont think peaches dair is that good either. thunderstorming w/ ganon is really good, G&W key is >.<, ect. i don think MK and peach should get top 2

Clai

Smash Lord
Where men are born and champions are raised
Ganondorf's d-air is definately more useful in almost all areas than Fox's. In fact, ranking #5 would be perfect for the Ganon-spike. Fox's d-air is just too punishable on shield for it to be that high.

Also, I have never seen Kirby's d-air get SDI'd before. Maybe a video can help me out, because I would think the hits would be too quick for SDI to be of any factor.

Top Bottom