• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who gets the next big *HYPE* ? Brood?

Cirno

Smash Journeyman
I think Wario is staying third for now, but if he was to be replaced by someone, ICs are a good choice.
The only way ICs can raise now is if they develop an easier to perform chaingrab. The best characters in a fighting always come down to who has the the easiest options to be efficient.

ICs while incredibly deadly in the right hands, at the moment take a large amount of skill to play effectively.

I agree with Crashic, even I have become interested in Pit and I believe many others will do so too, especially since more vids of Japanese players have come out, people will almost definitly try Pit and maybe even Fox.
Pit has been a wildcard since the begining of Brawl when people were calling him cheap.
He has several of the best attributes in the game including a disjointed hitbox, glide recovery, a spammable projectile, and a reflector.

Not to mention the Pit mains have already adapted a repertoire of situational and useful (respectively) techniques. It's very possible for Pit to make a huge leap if the players desire it bad enough.

She also gets 3 of the best item in the game at the start of ever game. They are just about a free ko alone.
I did kill a Diddy with just three alone once. The first hit him off stage, the second knocked him farther away as he attempted to double jump, and the third was down glide tossed, bounced off the slant on the stage, hit him while he was charging and killed him.

In the end however it all comes down to the players. I've experienced some pretty amazing stuff in the last month that made me go back and practice with characters.

Jiggz and her rest interrupt are terrifying. Nothing in this game has shocked me more mid match than dash attacking with Diddy only to die.

G&W makes you really feel the weight of MK's weakness of going into freefall after every B move. My UpB, Side B, and Neutral B were all air-rerouted using his upB and upair to where I ate an Fsmash, a number 6 and later a number 9. I fear what will happen if G&W mains learn to utilize this OOS and insynch with airdodge baits.

No ones gonna hand it over to her with all the sleeping potential characters have, but I have my money on ZSS based on her mains. They are pretty spirited.

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
Yeah in the right hand ZSS is a god, I 2nd her and you can really **** oppenants if they dont know the Match.-Up, the only real thing holding her back is the killing part (And maybe spam as well). Anyway I think Olimar will be the next big thing. He's a beast. He has one of the bests grabs in the game: huge range, combo potential (From 0~40% depends on character) and he can kill with it (Blues & Purples). His Pivot Grabs are just sooooo freaking good. He is a beast in camping and spamming, he can do a good amount of damage and then killing you with his murderous smashes, especially UpSmash with it's disjointed hitboxes (Yellows increases this just more). His only real Downside is his recovery but a good Olimar will learn to handle this. Olimar is somewhat similar to Snake and Diddy, they all have beastly Ground game but get destroyed Off-Stage. Olimar also has good MUs against Snake / DDD and goes nearly even with Falco / Diddy / Marth. So he has good Match-Ups against the Top 6 (Except Meta Knight, but I think this only has to be learned to be even, ICs were the same, they had 25:75 against MK at first, now it's 60/40 to 50/50).

samsonites101

Smash Cadet
Ice Climbers will probably do quite well once they get more rep. Their chain grab is just way to good if it is pulled off correctly. ZSS also looks like she has quite a bit of potential with he DA buffering and her combos. I can maybe see snake moving down. He is slow and is not very good in the air. If people find ways to abuse his speed and airgame, he could potentially move down a spot.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Snake will never move down. You don't need to be fast if you can grenade camp. Though his only good aerial is nair, his ground/camp game is amazing. Speed =/= good.

Nanaki

Smash Lord
As much as I hate to say it, I think Marth still has the potential to be a #2 or #3 character on tier lists. He's one of those characters that drastically improves with the quality of the person holding the joystick - great spacing tools, incredible OoS options, excellent edgeguarding ability, the guy's got it all as long as the user has good timing. Not to mention he has some VERY dedicated mains who are always exploring more options to improve his already excellent matchups. I just get the feeling that as players continue to improve, Marth will move more and more towards the dominance he showed in Melee.

I agree with Pit too, he seems like a character who could do some damage in tournaments. He just got a bad rap towards the beginning of the game when he was seen as "cheap" and then as nothing but an arrow spammer.

Cirno

Smash Journeyman
Olimar is somewhat similar to Snake and Diddy, they all have beastly Ground game but get destroyed Off-Stage.
Snake's biggest weakness is his recovery but I would hardly say either of them gets destroyed offstage. Especially not Diddy.

Snake mains generally know when you get knocked off you want to regain momentum and go high as soon as possible. Try to stay away from a cypher grab. C4 tech when things get bad. Grenade break WOP assaults. Aerials are pretty risky unless they come after a grenade break but a well placed fair or bair (with it's huge head to toes hitbox) can turn the tide in a second.

And Diddy only really hates the air when his recovery is hit because it doesn't slow down again unless it's timed right or momentum regained with a side-b. Other than that he can basically recover from anywhere on the stage. Has Peanut popgun for projectile disrupting edgeguarding (not only for attack opponents jumping out but full charged blasts work similar to Marth's Shield Breaker)Side B as another jump option(great for momentum regaining or simply grabbing an opponent) two quick aerials, two spikes, wall cling and jump talents, and the Up B has a weird property on it when DI'ed into objects, he doesn't bounce off. He can get spiked out of it and glide right around a stage and make it back.

ICs were the same, they had 25:75 against MK at first, now it's 60/40 to 50/50).
The 25:75 (which I don't recall o_o) was mainly based around how easy it was for MK to break IC's up and destroy the other. Then came shield angling. High enough to auto cancel it? It won't shield stab, low enough to shield stab? You will get punished severely if you don't.

Snake will never move down. You don't need to be fast if you can grenade camp. Though his only good aerial is nair, his ground/camp game is amazing. Speed =/= good.
Snake doesn't even need to grenade camp. It's just the tactic that has the least amount of risk. Yay nade dropping!!

And Nair is his most useful aerial. If you catch a down throw near the edge, just pray he doesn't dair. 35 damage with kill power. Bair is not a kick, it's a body slam, he can drop on you jump into you with or attack you with, no need to RAR, and ofcourse kill power. Utilt lover? Got em in the air? Uair will finish them faster than Utilt (ofcourse since they are closer to the top) and auto cancels when shorthopped (same as bair). And fair is the spike. Great range, power, and priority. If you see Snake doing this and you can't air dodge in time-- that's probably your stock. It even trades with the Shuttle Loops huge disjoint. And for poops and laughter use it for a little boost in your jump(similar to Peach's B). You can even go around some stages without c4 using it.

Situational yes. But all aerials are, you're not gonna jump over IC's head with MK and spam uair no matter how good it is.

Oh and for Marth I think he goes even with both DDD and Snake. Snake for the advantage when he has the port. The only reason they are even label as they are now is because those two can simply put damage on him easier than he can them. Shield Breakers, uairs, and grabs always serve me well in the MU though. DDD's don't like being grabbed as often as they try to. And Marth and MK like Snake offstage. UpB into cypher with dair, fair, and nair options are lovely.

The Marth v MK matchup can't be as bad as we have it now. Offstage we know--MK's greatest area is Marth's worse area. But somehow Marth is A rank(not tier-- this data pertains to tourney wins) with more wins than Wario who goes even and is a rank above him in ranking and tier. Not only that but according to the Amazing(he really is) Ampharos' data he's viably solo, as he has won multiple times alone.

With a 65:35 against the most popular character in the game? MU rewrite time nao plz.

SSD

Smash Journeyman
Pit's not moving up. He's got too many problematic matchups with the upper part of the tier list, I don't think he's even as good as he is placed.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
i believe pit is 12-14 in a true tier list but you are right he isnt gettin hype any time soon
I dunno. The top 15-18 characters are all tourney viable because Brawl is pretty well balanced for a game with 36 characters in it. In the end Pit (and every other character that's viable) will be as high as his players take him. Pit's no worse than any of the characters in A tier.

2Sko

Smash Cadet
IMO Olimar is overated, one of the easiest characters to gimp... The next *HYPE* should be Marth, he was god in melee, and he will be god in Brawl.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
IMO Olimar is overated, one of the easiest characters to gimp... The next *HYPE* should be Marth, he was god in melee, and he will be god in Brawl.
No characters are "easy" to gimp in the hands of good players.

And what does melee have to do with brawl?

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Currently PT has most of the Hype. By a LONG shot. Sonic's is dying down a bit.

Next big one will be..........*picks random character* Mewtwo.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Uh, guys, it's clearly going to be Inui

It'll be Wario, definitely. Jumping 5 spots on the tier list to become third simply can't go unnoticed.

TheUmbreonMonarchy

Smash Cadet
No characters are "easy" to gimp in the hands of good players.
It doesn't matter. Olimar still has a bad recovery that's easy to gimp as a weakness.

Fyi, your statement can be reversed to say "Good players will still gimp you anyways (especially Meta Knight)." Surprisingly, the opposite happens to be true.

Uh, guys, it's clearly going to be Inui
Who cares for Inui? That ugly mofo will always be the worst on the tier list.

Anyways, I think the next character for hype will be Meta Knight.

darkchaos59

Smash Cadet
The Path Between Darkness and Light, N.Y.
It doesn't matter. Olimar still has a bad recovery that's easy to gimp as a weakness.

Fyi, your statement can be reversed to say "Good players will still gimp you anyways (especially Meta Knight)." Surprisingly, the opposite happens to be true.

Who cares for Inui? That ugly mofo will always be the worst on the tier list.

Anyways, I think the next character for hype will be Meta Knight.
how can MK get hype hes already the top of the S rank

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
It'll be Wario, definitely. Jumping 5 spots on the tier list to become third simply can't go unnoticed.
You think the SBR is some sort of psychic organisation? Sees the future? Knows all before everyone else does? :laugh:

The reason Wario is 3rd in the tier list is due to there being, to a degree (validated or NOT, there's no reason to argue it) HYPED LIKE THE FIST OF THE NORTH STAR.

If smash tournaments were segregated completely to regional areas PLUS not having some sort of internet discussion majiggy, then theres the off chance everyone would think Wario WOULD SUCK. Whilst I'm sure every Wario main ever is using him because they like the character over his ability to 'air camp', reasonably even with MK, etc etc; it's not the SBR that just "realises" the tier list, it's because tournaments and 'match ups' are showing it.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You think the SBR is some sort of psychic organisation? Sees the future? Knows all before everyone else does? :laugh:
You clearly are not fully cognizant of our ways. *maniacal laughter*

rehab

Smash Journeyman
If smash tournaments were segregated completely to regional areas PLUS not having some sort of internet discussion majiggy, then theres the off chance everyone would think Wario WOULD SUCK
what an incredibly meaningless hypothetical

Wario has been a top placer since the game came out and was barely in the Top 10 the first 2 lists, you call that Hokuto no Hype?

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Oh Ganon, most definitely. Grab release to Warlock Punch will be guaranteed eventually...

tocador

Smash Lord
ME too lol :D!

But if the falcons found a "Grab release > knee > grab > grab release > Dtaunt > falcon punch" and it being a 0-death i would deffinatly main falcon :O!

Veggi

Smash Champion
It ***** him if the DK player doesn't have experience with it. If he does, DK can ftilt, dash attack, reverse up tilt, down smash or fsmash it. He can also down b it, but tornado isn't on the ground very often.

Cirno

Smash Journeyman
Not to mention shield it.
o:

How's the DK-o-IC matchup though?

I've only played from the IC's side against a mediocre DK and I have to say, that match was cake.

Scarzig

Smash Rookie
I think ICs will be *HYPE* in a couple of years.

I think that one or two IC mains will pop from nowhere and tip over the tournament scene.

That Desynch looks like it could have soooooo much potential.

Top Bottom