• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When did you realise you didn't like Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zelareth

Smash Cadet
the fact that
1) almost every character is a flotie
2) no Lag Cancel.
3) tripping.
4) no hit lag.
Strongest reason : auto sweetspot, like what the ****. Auto sweetspot takes out edge guarding, well not really but some use of it.
Well, yeah auto sweetspot makes edge guarding way harder, but I think the even bigger problem is that most of the cast can clear most of the gap with just their up b so you rarely have to ever worry about using your 2nd jump.

FIISHHER

Smash Cadet
its not the fact that brawl is slower and the at's are gone, its the fact that noobs can win against good players. i have one friend who is horrible at the game, he only uses the A button and Up B for recovery. and he doesnt leave the ground, but he uses Snake. snake can kill someone with his nades and he can kill with a single tap on the A button. the game was made for noobs, smash99 i cant see why you dont like melee, its challenging. i bet you tried to learn how to wavedash and you gave up in seconds and said "**** this game, its too hard, im going to brawl where its easier for noobs to win like me"

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
smash99 i cant see why you dont like melee, its challenging. i bet you tried to learn how to wavedash and you gave up in seconds and said "**** this game, its too hard, im going to brawl where its easier for noobs to win like me"
Or maybe you forgot the part where he said he was a troll?
Everybody knows to ignore trolls.

Zelareth

Smash Cadet
its not the fact that brawl is slower and the at's are gone, its the fact that noobs can win against good players. i have one friend who is horrible at the game, he only uses the A button and Up B for recovery. and he doesnt leave the ground, but he uses Snake. snake can kill someone with his nades and he can kill with a single tap on the A button. the game was made for noobs, smash99 i cant see why you dont like melee, its challenging. i bet you tried to learn how to wavedash and you gave up in seconds and said "**** this game, its too hard, im going to brawl where its easier for noobs to win like me"

Yes, I definitely see what you're talking about. I have a friend here who's also a freshman and only started playing Brawl coming here. On his first day he was beating people that had the game since it came out and proclaimed they were "amazing at Brawl". Boy, they were so pissed off my friend was beating them consistently. Even my friend admitted, "Yeah this sucks there's no way I should be getting away with this in a real game."

FIISHHER

Smash Cadet
yeah thats what my friend is like too. he never played melee or 64, but when brawl came out, we would go over my other friend's house to play free for all and he would would suck so bad with every character, we couldnt really say anything to him that he sucked because it was his first time playing, but after an hour of getting used to the game, he would kick our ***. all the time we would be screaming "wtf! jake(my noob friend) just won!....**** brawl.

FIISHHER

Smash Cadet
its too bad im the only one in our school(i think) who knows what l-canceling is. theres maybe like 3 people who know what wavedashing is, probably just because of youtube videos.

in mid octuber, our school is hosting this S.A.D.D night (students . against . drunk . driving) where kids come to have tournies. theres madden, guitar hero, and recently brawl. but im gonna bring melee and show people up. maybe it will change there mind that melee is better.

FIISHHER

Smash Cadet
haha just host it yourself. we have this little group called the rebel group who is hosting it. something about against drugs and alcohol. its stupid since 70% of the people in my high school (including myself) smoke weed and drink. but everyone who likes games just go to have fun.

QED

Smash Apprentice
I went through a week of denial after the launch of SSBB. Kept telling myself it can't be this bad.

I think I stopped after attempting a Fox shine spike to DDD... I shined a grand total of four times in the air and DDD came back onto the stage quite easily. I think I wept.

I now attempt to do the gayest strat possible in Brawl against friends who offer me to play with them. It's a great way to get the message out clearly. Thankfully my friends are very bright. After DDD/Falco CG and Marth/Yoshi CCG, they now understand fully not to bring out the game when I'm around... unless they want to baptise a different kid by my holy hands.

I just thought this up. I would like to start a new thread called "Save a Smasher Foundation" (or some better title) and make it a fun place for people going back to Melee and also give a place for new Meleers to meet the veterans and find people to play with around their area (because I'm the latter and I have trouble finding people to play when I'm so new to the community -_- seriously needs a google map app that lists nearby melee players)

What do you guys think?

Super Mari0

Smash Journeyman
Well it isn't so much as brawl sucks straight forward, it's that melee was virtually perfect. When in comparison, it makes brawl look like garbage.
Of course, Brawl is fun, but to a small extent. I have never pulled an all nighter of brawl without saying "OK I feel like playing melee now."

I think when I realised melee was superior is when I was asked to join a tournament (for money) I thought about it, and realised... wow, this game sucks competitively.

I don't even own brawl, so that tells you how little I seriously care.
quoted for truth.

umm as soon as I found out brawl is a defensive game and as soon as I saw the melee disc lying there xD!!!!!

Cinder

Smash Master
I just thought this up. I would like to start a new thread called "Save a Smasher Foundation" (or some better title) and make it a fun place for people going back to Melee and also give a place for new Meleers to meet the veterans and find people to play with around their area (because I'm the latter and I have trouble finding people to play when I'm so new to the community -_- seriously needs a google map app that lists nearby melee players)

What do you guys think?
That's not a bad idea...host tourneys, a GSC exclusively for Melee players (if the old one has Brawl now...I haven't seen it in a while <__<)...yeah, that might work...I may not be a vet/pro or anything, but if you need some help, I'll do what I can...

QED

Smash Apprentice
That's not a bad idea...host tourneys, a GSC exclusively for Melee players (if the old one has Brawl now...I haven't seen it in a while <__<)...yeah, that might work...I may not be a vet/pro or anything, but if you need some help, I'll do what I can...
Sorry if this is a noob question: what's a GSC?

I'm hardly a good player either. It's very recent that I've learned about Melee ATs and its fun. I think it was only last year when I saw Gimpy, DSF, Zel, etc. play at UCSD when I realized the potential of the game. That's why it was so hard for me to cope with (what is in my eyes) a failure of a fighter that Brawl came out to be. I got thrown into a Brawl driven world without fully experiencing Melee. Which is probably why I come up with these suggestions.

Anyways tournies may be a good place to meet people but then again, I wouldn't stand much of a chance. Just thought it would be nice meeting players that are slightly more into the game than casual first.

Anyways I'll try making a thread tonight~ give it some <3 :D

Cinder

Smash Master
Will do...and the GSC is the Global Smasher's Compendium...it's a Google Earth addon that shows where Smashers live...I'm sure by now it's updated to be a Melee/Brawl mix...I was saying that it might be a good idea for someone to make a new one for Melee-only players...I would if I knew how <___<

FIISHHER

Smash Cadet
haha yeah that would be cool, too bad im 16 and i cant drive on my own yet. july i will be able to come play with people

Cinder

Smash Master
Here's a new question:
Do any of you guys show your hate towards Brawl OUTSIDE Smashboards?

I try to but only say it to ppl who know bout smash
v

Well uh.. I think it was Cinder who literally smashed his brawl till it was done. >_>;
So I guess that question is answered. Hahaha.
Need I say more X3

But yeeeeeeah...I go on and on about Brawl's flaws with my friends...even the ones who have no idea what the **** Smash is (for shame)...they've gotten used to it XD

otg

Smash Master
Here's a new question:

Uhh not really, only to people who play the smash series. Even my friends who don't play any of these games competitively prefer Melee and 64 over Brawl, except one and guess what? He sucks balls.

The only time I had a big issue over this was at a local Brawl crew battle that was taking forever, was just plain boring and most people were using metaknight/snake. The second I said "can we just play Melee?" the **** was thrown at me. I mean don't get me wrong, Brawl is fun but competitively it's pretty boring.

smasher32

Smash Journeyman
The only time I had a big issue over this was at a local Brawl crew battle that was taking forever, was just plain boring and most people were using metaknight/snake. The second I said "can we just play Melee?" the **** was thrown at me. I mean don't get me wrong, Brawl is fun but competitively it's pretty boring.
I guess Brawl noobs will be Brawl noobs :ohwell:.

Another small note about Brawl though, IMHO, it's a lot more fun to play the mid-low tier characters. Then again, I've never actually gone to a Brawl tournament, so I have no idea how many people actually use snake/MK out of the entire bracket...although youtube is a pretty good sign.

As for Brawl v. Melee, yea, I still prefer melee since the last time I posted on here, but I still like Brawl for my own reasons. Maybe I'll like it more once tournaments have a soft ban on those two characters (HA! yea right).

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I think that post deserved to be on itself which is why I am making a new post.

I havent been to my own thread in a while, any new brawl noobs about or people who know nothing of what they talk about and say wavedashing is a glitch etc. Those were good times educating the noobs, epsicially the stubborn noobs, they are the best of the best.

QED

Smash Apprentice
Here's a new question:

Usually when you blatantly show your hate in front of others, the crowd/person backlashes at you... like otg experienced (poor guy).

I just play Brawl in the worst way possible. I just ABUSE the **** out of dumb moves. CGs, CCGs, bowsercides, range/camp spam, meta spam, etc (the sad part is I can do all these "ATs" after watching a youtube video once). I would go to a local tourney just to play 8 min spam matches. I think I converted (to Melee) two friends so far playing that way.

If people still don't get it, then it's their problem.

TBH, the only fun I get out of Brawl is putting a ****load of items on and chasing after the smash ball in a FFA.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
Last Friday afternoon I played 4 player Free for all on Melee and it was a blast. It was definately the most fun I had playing Smash in a long time. I don't hate Brawl but compared to Melee it's not even close to being fun. I wanted to keep playing Melee that afternoon but I had to go to work. Matches were fun because it felt good pulling off multiple hits once again. It's fun to play Melee Peach. Brawl Peach sucks because she got downgraded soo badly. In fact nearly all the characters got downgraded. Could someone explain to me how a game can be more fun when their character gets downgraded? Mario and Luigi's fireballs have barely any distance in Brawl. Peach can barely jump high and Cpt Falcons attacks are so much weaker. I was looking forward to a new Smash game in the aspect of new characters, stages and even additional moves for the already existing characters; but I didn't want the gameplay style to change in the aspect of being slower, not being able to combo, camping, and lack of powerful moves. A Melee 2.0 with additional parts is what the majority of people were expecting. That's why they wanted a new game. They didn't hate Melee but they wanted more depth in addition to what already existed.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
Here's a new question:

Hmmm... Yes. When confronted by someone who likes brawl, I will do one of the following things:

1. If a Brawl setup is nearby, quickly 5 stock the brawl player using a really cheap strategy.

2. Say that they obviously suck at super smash bros, imposing my opinion that as you get better at melee, you like it more, but as you get better at brawl, you like it less.

A good example of using the first two was a while back I was at a birthday party. The person who the party was for liked melee over brawl, and flatly refuses to play brawl at all. Then someone asked if we were playing brawl. The host immediately said "I hate brawl and we're not playing." The person promptly asked why the host hated brawl. I jump in replying that good people like melee, and people that suck like brawl. He says the classic "I'm good at both and I like it". We go over to the wii. I 5 stock him at brawl, using only DDD grabs and bairs. Then I 5 stock him at melee, pulling off amazing combos. Good times. That person doesn't play brawl anymore. So now I always warn people: "If you play me in brawl, it may ruin the game for you..."

3. Go into a huge rant about gameplay mechanics to make the other person change the subject.

4. Point out that M2K likes melee more, and he is the best at both games. (goes great with number 2)

5. Firmly deny the fact that Brawl even exists.

"Brawl? What's a Brawl?"

QED

Smash Apprentice
5. Firmly deny the fact that Brawl even exists.

"Brawl? What's a Brawl?"
ROFL. Epic response.
"Brawl? What's Brawl? Is that some sort of flash game?"
I guess you can put anything for the underlined part.

Good stuff. Maybe I'll say it at a gathering next time.

Shroomed

Smash Master
eventually, every smasher will end up posting in this thread

because sooner or later they won't be able to deny that brawl is **** any longer

SPC M. Angseth

Smash Cadet
I stopped playing Brawl when I realized the only way I could enjoy it was by turning all the items on. While I think that that's the best way to play Brawl, I'd rather just play Melee and focus more on fighting my opponent than dealing with the chaos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom