• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When did you realise you didn't like Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePandaMan

Smash Rookie
i'm not sure if it's been posted, (i only got through the first 10 pages or so, but this video is quite funny. WARNING: it does contain foul language. Ye have been fairly warned!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/35-Super-Smash-Bros-Brawl

Anyways, my personal thoughts on Brawl: I own it (got it with the system as well as a ri-donk-u-lous amount of games) along with my Wii. Here's the thing; i don't play it. Heck, i don't want to play it. I borrowed Melee and am having MORE FUN practicing wavedashing (a new thing for me) than playing Brawl. Let that percolate for a little bit.

Naturally, i wanted to unlock the characters so i went on GameFAQs to find the quickest most efficient method...which is playing through SSE (something i quit half-way through. Just didn't do it for me). When i borrowed Melee, it took me a day to unlock everything (well, except for Mewtwo and some stages (curse you ELUSIVE BIRDO!).

Thing is, i wanted to unlock them in Melee. They make it challenging, but enjoyable. In Brawl, it's just a chore. It's gonna take a while, and it's unavoidable. And yes, lets make this typical by saying, "if the game wasn't so SLOW..."

For me, there are 3 key things that epitomize a truly GOOD fighting game (my preferred genre):

1. well-paced
A game doesn't always need to be fast or slow, but it has to be, HAS TO BE...fluid. Brawl isn't a stream of water, it's globby molasses. In a fighting game, you should NEVER get bored in the middle of a match. In melee, you are NEVER bored.

2. strengths and weaknesses
Characters should be interesting and diverse, having strengths and weaknesses. There are characters that are overall 'better' than others, but in the hands of a good player they force you to re-evaluate your strategy.

3. Individuality/Diversity
This is a big one for me. I can't play any fighting game unless a character appeals to me. DOA? Bass. Soul Calibur? Voldo. Mortal Kombat? Rain. Primal Rage? Chaos. Brawl? Ummm...well, uhhh...i dunno. Give me a sheet and a d30, ill make it work. As varied as the characters are, it really doesn't matter which one i pick. In melee, it's a whole different story (Ganondorf, Fox, DK).

It seems that to like Brawl, i have to try...which is a TOTAL turn-off. A good fighting game calls to you, like that Tekken 3 machine near the back in the arcade. It doesn't need hype, or fanboys, or videos, or special super awesome neat awesome cool great spiffy shiny blinging characters/levels/MacGuffin (MAD PROPS to anyone who gets that), or Endless Debate. It should just make me vaguely aware of its presence. Melee has makes me want to play it just by THINKING that word alone. When i think 'brawl' the very next thought is 'you mean melee, right?'

Yes...*sigh* yes i do.

Oracle

Smash Master
I love how all the brawl noobs (post count) are really stupid, and yet the melee noob can post a huge paragraph with valid points and spelling and grammar.

Zelareth

Smash Cadet
Guess that just shows a correlation between Brawl players and level of intelligence =P

But really, I agree with ThePandaMan, I have to force myself to have fun when I play Brawl and even that has its limits because after a while i get tired of the stupid bull**** people can get away with in Brawl. That being said, the main reason I hate Brawl is simply that someone can be predictable and do dumb things and get away with it most of the time.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
I'll just say QFT for everyone on this page.

I love this thread.<3

the addition of sonic is a really stupid reason to not like brawl
Except this.
Sonic =/= his reason for disliking Brawl.
That's just when he realized it was going to be a terrible excuse for a game.

ThePandaMan

Smash Rookie
When I realized without wavedashing I couldn't win!!! And cuz GIMPY SAID IT WAS BAD!!!

lawl.
once puberty has run it's course, i hope you will realize it's not being a 'sheep' to pay attention to people who actually know what they're talking about. Not listening to someone for the sheer sake of not listening is stupid. They put thought, and consideration into what they're gonna say. Can't you do the same for reading/watching/listening?

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
once puberty has run it's course, i hope you will realize it's not being a 'sheep' to pay attention to people who actually know what they're talking about. Not listening to someone for the sheer sake of not listening is stupid. They put thought, and consideration into what they're gonna say. Can't you do the same for reading/watching/listening?
But I can't wavedash in brawl...so it sucks big time!

Plus the final smash is so broken, don't you agree??? :ohwell:

I wish Brawl was Melee v2, it would have wavedashing and be so much better!

I stayed with Melee because I realized I suck at Brawl and didn't wanna work at getting better! ;[

Fletch

Smash Master

I stayed with Melee because I realized I suck at Brawl and didn't wanna work at getting better! ;[
There is no such thing as a good Melee player that isn't good at Brawl; it's just a watered down version of Melee. Why do you think the best Melee players are still amazing at Brawl?

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
There is no such thing as a good Melee player that isn't good at Brawl; it's just a watered down version of Melee. Why do you think the best Melee players are still amazing at Brawl?
Actually there are, but I'll give that to you, most great Melee players remain great in Brawl.

Then there are the rest, who just couldn't get Brawl down after a week or so of trying and said "Heh I already know how to play Melee so why bother trying to learn this game."

And that's just fine, but don't go around bashing a game just because you are too lazy to learn how to play it. If Brawl was around for as long as Melee was and people were going back, I wouldn't care, but it's still pretty fresh.

I chuckled at the whole "Sonic in Brawl = Brawl is bad!" comment too.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
people are bashing the game because it sucks not because they're too lazy to learn

most of the people who played brawl hate it because they played it.

people can get brawl down in a week, it's super easy to play. I learned gaw in like 12 minutes in tourney match and got top 3. you cant just pick up a top tier in melee with no prior knowledge and place well at a 40 man tourney unless its all scrubs in melee.

it's a super campy game that doesn't reward approaching

Cinder

Smash Master
All that just proves my point lol.
I learned gaw in like 12 minutes in tourney match and got top 3. you cant just pick up a top tier in melee with no prior knowledge and place well at a 40 man tourney unless its all scrubs in melee.

it's a super campy game that doesn't reward approaching
How does this prove your point, 99? Ryan's right...you can get pretty far in, if not win, a tournament just by picking a high-tier...the competitive scene is shallow and based primarily on who you use, not how good you are with them...the game is slow and watered down...you can win almost entirely by camping...

ThePandaMan

Smash Rookie

let me see if i got this right...

Quite a few people, both professional and amateur, are choosing Melee over Brawl. Now, a lot of people don't like the game for similar reasons. Now, in a world of LOGIC and REASON, this is called a 'general consensus' but in your world it's...whining?

Using your logic, i could repeatedly violate people and dismiss all their complaints as whining, not knowing what they're talking about, and they just have to get used to it. Because as i violate them i always hear the same things

This hurts
I don't want this
Why haven't you taken off my pants?

Tell me, how far does it have to be in you before you realize you're being violated?

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
You guys are complaining about MK and Snake, but if you, ready for this? Practice and work on any character you can beat them.

Do certain characters have advantages over others? Of course.

Can Captain Falcon beat MK? Sure can.

As for the guy with the 12 minute old G&W, either:

A. Your tourny was trash.
B. You spammed his smashes and won, against bad people.
C. You are full of it.

Yeah alot of people prefer Melee to Brawl, and again, that's up to you, but that's because you guys think MK/Snake are unstoppable, and don't feel like trying to combat them and become better at Brawl, you'd rather go back to Melee where everything is familiar and easy.

Afraid of change. Scared you won't be amazing at Brawl. =[

If you lose to a camper, maybe you should stick to Melee where it's safe.

Cinder

Smash Master
Yeah alot of people prefer Melee to Brawl, and again, that's up to you, but that's because you guys think MK/Snake are unstoppable, and don't feel like trying to combat them and become better at Brawl, you'd rather go back to Melee where everything is familiar and easy.

Who said we're afraid of change? That's quite a generalization...

In fact, here's the mini-essay I posted a few pages back...
At first, I enjoyed Brawl...I won't deny that...I wanted to be a great Lucario user and make a name for myself...but then, as I continued to play, I felt like something was missing...no matter what I did, or what kind of "combos" and things I pulled off, I never felt satisfied...I never got that feeling of pure ecstasy I did when I did amazing shine combos with Falco or the "Stairway to Heaven" (I think that's what it was called) with Doc...I usually refer to it as that "OH MY GAWD DID I JUST DO THAT?!" feeling...at that point, I switched back to Melee (albeit a little late compared to a lot of my friends, who feel the same way I do)...I didn't hate Brawl, but I stopped playing it...

As I got back into Melee, I reflected on the two years I spent glued to my computer screen, waiting for updates...I thought about the anticipation I had had for Brawl, and the sheer excitement my friends and I felt the day we got it...then I considered the fact that all of that had gone to waste, and I felt like I had been duped...that's when my hatred for Brawl started...

I also took a lot of crap from Brawl fanboys, saying Melee was gonna die and that Melee players were gonna have to play Brawl or quit...I had heard of people sending PM's to random Melee players just to bash them...I couldn't believe that anyone could be so arrogant and hateful...I'm not saying that the Melee community hasn't done anything, nor am I saying that all Brawlers are like that...

My hatred peaked when I read some of Sakurai's thoughts on the two games...there's a chance I misinterpreted what he said, but my interpretation implied cheap-shots at Melee...especially Sakurai talking about how he wanted Brawl to be a game where "you'd have fun whether you won or lost", implying that it was the first game in the series to be like that...I realized that he was being completely unfair to the competitive community, and that he could have tended to both competitive players and n00bs using the EXACT same physics engine as Melee...I realized that he went OUT OF HIS WAY to kick competitive players to the curb...that's when I decided that I needed to make a public statement to show my hatred...I could have just sold my game for extra cash, but I didn't want to be so subtle and quiet about my hatred...I wanted the world to know how I felt...that's when I decided to smash my copy of Brawl to pieces...I put it on YouTube, where the entire internet community could see my hatred spill out...
Where in there do I say anything about change? Either way, it's not that we're afraid to make the change...it's that we don't want to because it's only a change for the worst...

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
You guys are complaining about imbalance and shallow gameplay, but, ready for this? It's worse than that. And you have viable reasons.

Can Captain Falcon beat MK? Not in a million years, unless:
C. You are full of it.

A. You're right about Brawl.
B. You're right about Brawl.
C. You're right about Brawl.

Yeah alot of smart people prefer Melee to Brawl, and again, that's up to you, but that's because you guys think bad games are bad, and don't feel like trying to waste your time and become "better" at Brawl. You'd rather stay with Melee, where everything Challenging, Rewarding, and just plain awesome.

Afraid of lowering you standards. Embarrased you will be "amazing" at... Brawl. =[ ek.

If you lose to a camper, maybe it's because you didn't camp enough.
F-F-F-Fixed.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
^Well played.

But still, if you lose to a camper, you are bad lol.

Fletch

Smash Master
You guys are complaining about MK and Snake, but if you, ready for this? Practice and work on any character you can beat them.

C. You are full of it.
F-F-F-Fixed.
Couldn't stop laughing at this, good ****.

I don't think anyone is afraid of change... Most people were dying for a new game after playing Melee for long, and just wanted something new and better. All we got was a slowed-down, AT-less and depth-less version of a game we had already been playing, so there isn't any reason for us to keep playing it when there's a much superior alternative. I played Brawl for a while, and it never came close to that feeling Melee has given me. Not to mention, who isn't good at Brawl? It's impossible not to be...

F-F-F-Fixed.
Good ****, couldn't stop laughing at this.

Reezy989

Smash Cadet
I love how all the brawl noobs (post count) are really stupid, and yet the melee noob can post a huge paragraph with valid points and spelling and grammar.
i love how all the melee players diss brawl players for being stupid but cant even spell "realize" right in the name of the topic. I play both for the record, so spare me with the whining.

Ryan-K

Smash Master

C. You are full of it.

cf can't beat mk ever if the mk has hands

LOL, think what you want guy but i don't have to prove **** to you just because you don't know what you're talking about. Eli is a top player in NYC too, you don't know what you're talking about.

Name one way MK can be punished by any character by making a mistake, because fox sure as hell gets ***** for it.

maybe you should shut up with your condescending little assumptions because you're just making yourself and the rest of the brawl community look like a bunch of douc
hebags

Zelareth

Smash Cadet
Lol 12 min G&W that spammed smashes and won? Whoa, cuz that's just way more nubbish than snake spamming tilts and winning and MK spamming B moves to win. Like seriously, learn to play Brawl.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
actually i didnt spam smashes, i just spammed backwards sh bair unless they were above me when i either just uaired when they were like way above me or nair when on a platform, or just use the keyblade and DI away when they were below most of the time because it's unpunishable and even if you do get hit unless you're at high percent it doesn't matter.

you just shield camp dsmash for kills or fair or fsmash people out of air dodges to kill

Zelareth

Smash Cadet
Lol I was being sarcastic and I didn't mean that directed at you personally, I just mean that Brawl tends to be a lot of well...spam. That's not to say you cannot do anything else or that no character doesn't spam, it's just 90% of the time you don't need to do anything else, so why do anything else? Well that's just my opinion anyway, point is I don't like it so I don't play it, that simple.

Fletch

Smash Master
Lol I was being sarcastic and I didn't mean that directed at you personally, I just mean that Brawl tends to be a lot of well...spam. That's not to say you cannot do anything else or that no character doesn't spam, it's just 90% of the time you don't need to do anything else, so why do anything else? Well that's just my opinion anyway, point is I don't like it so I don't play it, that simple.
I definitely got the impression that you were actually defending Brawl in your post before this, thank God you cleared it up, I was worried for a second.

jugfingers

Smash Champion
You guys are complaining about imbalance and shallow gameplay, but, ready for this? It's worse than that. And you have viable reasons.

Can Captain Falcon beat MK? Not in a million years, unless:
C. You are full of it.

A. You're right about Brawl.
B. You're right about Brawl.
C. You're right about Brawl.

Yeah alot of smart people prefer Melee to Brawl, and again, that's up to you, but that's because you guys think bad games are bad, and don't feel like trying to waste your time and become "better" at Brawl. You'd rather stay with Melee, where everything Challenging, Rewarding, and just plain awesome.

Afraid of lowering you standards. Embarrased you will be "amazing" at... Brawl. =[ ek.

If you lose to a camper, maybe it's because you didn't camp enough.

F-F-F-Fixed.

Quoted for truth

Ryan-K

Smash Master
yeah i had to look up your posts because the wording confused me, but if i hadnt known my post woulda been more inflamatory lol

but im just saying i didnt spam smashes...i spammed bair which is safer and eats shields and does like 18% and like 7 hits + a landing hit

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
lol you guys lost to spammers in brawl so went back to wavedashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom