• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

When did you realise you didn't like Brawl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fletch

Smash Master
Oh goody! I finally have the chance~
Not giving any names:

1)
I had a feeling it was gonna suck when I saw sonic update. The thing is I was looking forward to the game and sonic appearance but as soon as he appeared.... It just didnt feel right and then I felt it was gonna suck.

A characters appearance decides if a game is going to be good or not?
I'll give you this.

2)
As soon as I played it for more than 2 hours.

Proving a previous point I made.
I could tell in 2 hours that the engine was going to make for a very crappy competitive experience with laggy aerials, floatiness, tripping, lack of hit stun, infinite air dodges, etc. This still holds true today.

3)
I knew Brawl was gonna suck from the moment they announced that they were coming out with a sequel for the Wii.

Self Explanatory
Again, this made me worry as well given the nature of other Wii games (casual being Nintendo's new strategy). Those worries unfortunately turned out to be true,

4)
When I realized what they did to Falcon and Ganon.

Nerfing overpowered chars. FTL
I would hardly call Ganon overpowered in Melee.

5)
Instead, everyone plays snake or metaknight

Because EVERYONE was used in Melee
There are more viable characters in Melee, and it had a smaller roster. It's a good point.

6)
Guy #1: I like Brawl's gameplay. Am I mentally deficient because I think so?

Guy #2Kinda...
Replace mentally deficient with "casual" and this quote is true, I'm sure he was just stressing his point.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Oh goody! I finally have the chance~
Not giving any names:

1)
I had a feeling it was gonna suck when I saw sonic update. The thing is I was looking forward to the game and sonic appearance but as soon as he appeared.... It just didnt feel right and then I felt it was gonna suck.

A characters appearance decides if a game is going to be good or not?

2)
As soon as I played it for more than 2 hours.

Proving a previous point I made.

3)
I knew Brawl was gonna suck from the moment they announced that they were coming out with a sequel for the Wii.

Self Explanatory
Those are individual opinions that can't be "proven wrong".
4)

I believe I've quoted enough.

You obviously don't know jack **** about Melee, so trying to make points against it makes you look stupid.

Puffy

Smash Cadet
Meh, I'm done. This argument obviously won't get anywhere.

You're probably thinking "Ha! He's losing the argument so he's running away!"

Go ahead and think that, I've made the point that I don't care what you think of me. You think of me badly, well guess what? You've stooped down to my level! Wasting your time along with me.

I never wanted to start this flame war, but like 5-6 people were brave enough to join the winning side, ganging up on me and such.

I defiantly know you're going to reply with "that's a load of bull!" Well, I'm afraid you'll be wasting your breath, since I won't be reading it.

Think down on me if you want. Report me if I'm really that bad.

This, doesn't go for all of you, just so you know~

See you again, maybe.

Cinder

Smash Master
See you again, maybe.
Let's hope not...

Well, he said he wouldn't come back, so it ain't like he's gonna see it =3

Anyway...wow...how to get back on topic after THAT...uhhh...soooo, anyone in Virginia wanna play a few in Richmond sometime? I'm gonna start hosting tourneys soon...*coughreadmysigcough*

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
You don't leave in the middle of things.
I/We proved him wrong on many fronts and now he's leaving.
There can be NO other reason besides that he can't counter our points effectively or without being wrong.
That's also why he waited so long to respond.
He read our points, and now he realizes that he's been beat.

It's obvious that he is leaving because he's losing the argument.

But anyway...
*grabs chalk*

Fletch

Smash Master
Well to be fair, it's not like there are any good points on the pro-Brawl side that can be made. He was fighting a losing battle.

Parker1006

Smash Journeyman
@Parker
Biased post is biased.

I think it's fairly obvious that Brawl haters haven't played the game enough.
I've played the game for quite some time actually and entered a few tournaments. I got second place in one by picking Metaknight and I i didn't even practice with him (lol). Brawl is a game that relies too heavily on character matchups and not the skill of an inidivual player. DK can never beat DDD, DDD is Zelda bait, Snake beats EVERBODY, etc. In Brawl, I couldn't see the best Jigglypuff in the world being able to beat a "good" snake, simply because of the matchup. I understand that counterpicks and countermatchups are an important part to any fighting game, but Brawl's competitive gameplay is ridicilously geared towards matchups. In melee, matchups can help, but they dont make or break your match. If you're better than the other player, you will win.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
4)

Ganon overpowered? are you high?

and inb4lock like ****, holy **** 60 pages and this hasn't been locked while mic is prancing around locking threads that barely mentions brawl in the initial post just because a few people in those threads mentioned that brawl sucks? what the ****
Edited
But Melee works too. In SSB64, one character hava just as much comboing potential as the next one
lol no
samus anyone?
(although I do agree that SSB64 overall is more balanced, but not by much)

Fletch

Smash Master

and inb4lock like ****, holy **** 60 pages and this hasn't been locked while mic is prancing around locking threads that barely mentions brawl in the initial post just because a few people in those threads mentioned that brawl sucks? what the ****

lol no
samus anyone?
I'd say SSB64 is actually quite a bit more balanced than Melee (both are still miles ahead of Brawl), but this doesn't make it the better competitive game, as it is pretty much all offense. Once you get that first hit in, it's pretty much means a stock at a high level, and nearly all the characters have zero to death combos.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
Lol, I see that the majority of this site is filled with a bunch of whiners.

"OMAIGAWD I CANT WAVEDASH THE WORLD IS OVER!11!!1"
Poor baby, your favorite character got nerfed. =(

Get over it.
ROFL

I'm sorry, but the level of immaturity that the comment was too big to not ignore.

I find it funny how people here think they're cool just because they hate Brawl and love Melee, it's amusing.
I think it's fairly obvious that Brawl haters haven't played the game enough.
How cool it is to prefer one video game over another.... =3
I also have the right to laugh at idiots.
"I'm a proud Melee player"

Sounds a little elitist if you ask me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

I've came partly to prove the majority of the statements (not in this flame war) to be wrong, and laugh at them.
>.<

Go ahead and try to prove our OPINIONS wrong...

This flame war wasn't my intention when I first posted here.
I find that hard to believe...

Lol, I see that the majority of this site is filled with a bunch of whiners.

"OMAIGAWD I CANT WAVEDASH THE WORLD IS OVER!11!!1"
This is your first post. How can you make a statement mocking everyone else in the thread and not intend to start a flame war?

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
I'd say SSB64 is actually quite a bit more balanced than Melee (both are still miles ahead of Brawl), but this doesn't make it the better competitive game, as it is pretty much all offense. Once you get that first hit in, it's pretty much means a stock at a high level, and nearly all the characters have zero to death combos.
This is extremly true, and you can't really do anything about it when you start getting comboed since there isn't any DI in SSB64 (apart from smash DI, which can't do much in most cases). You can influence the outcome of a chaingrab (you can di to try to make your opponent mess up, or di away from a part of the stage that you wouldnt like to be etc) in melee more then you can influence the outcome of a normal combo SSB64. Once you start getting comboed in SSB64, you can basically put down the controller and wait to die. :laugh:
Comboing others also gets less interesting in ssb64 because of this, because you can basically do the same combo over and over. (not entirely though, since it stage dependant, but to some degree you actually can)
The lack of DI is SSB64's biggest flaw imo.

I completely disagree with ssb64 being "all offense" though. You need to get that first in hit after all, remember? There is lots of dancing around, spacing, baiting, punishing and arial priority wars in SSB64 before anyone gets that first hit in. The only factor here that is extremly different from melee is the lack of a useful shield, since the shieldhitstun in SSB64 was so big. You could basically break shields with kirby's uptilt lol. But this isn't really a minus imo, it's not a bait/punishment is impossible, it just means that you always need to rely on your spacing and never have the option to "trick" your opponent into a shieldgrab (which you have in melee). It's just something that's different about the game.

I agree that SSB64 is more balanced then melee (and off course Brawl)

Regarding which one of them is the best competitive game I don't really know, I'd probably say it's an opinion thing. I prefer melee though.

Both games are amazing, regardless. :)

JRobPaq

Smash Rookie
Meh, I'm done. This argument obviously won't get anywhere.

You're probably thinking "Ha! He's losing the argument so he's running away!"

Go ahead and think that, I've made the point that I don't care what you think of me. You think of me badly, well guess what? You've stooped down to my level! Wasting your time along with me.

I never wanted to start this flame war, but like 5-6 people were brave enough to join the winning side, ganging up on me and such.

I defiantly know you're going to reply with "that's a load of bull!" Well, I'm afraid you'll be wasting your breath, since I won't be reading it.

Think down on me if you want. Report me if I'm really that bad.

This, doesn't go for all of you, just so you know~

See you again, maybe.
I like Brawl and Melee! There I said it! God, why does it matter if I do!

GI Josh

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, Fletch.

I mean the average Joe who posted here seems to not have played it enough.
Look at the freaking title of the thread, it says "When did you realise you didn't like Brawl?" does it not?

That means the people on this thread HAVE played Brawl to the point where they prefer Melee over it

Fletch

Smash Master
This is extremly true, and you can't really do anything about it when you start getting comboed since there isn't any DI in SSB64 (apart from smash DI, which can't do much in most cases). You can influence the outcome of a chaingrab (you can di to try to make your opponent mess up, or di away from a part of the stage that you wouldnt like to be etc) in melee more then you can influence the outcome of a normal combo SSB64. Once you start getting comboed in SSB64, you can basically put down the controller and wait to die. :laugh:
Comboing others also gets less interesting in ssb64 because of this, because you can basically do the same combo over and over. (not entirely though, since it stage dependant, but to some degree you actually can)
The lack of DI is SSB64's biggest flaw imo.

I completely disagree with ssb64 being "all offense" though. You need to get that first in hit after all, remember? There is lots of dancing around, spacing, baiting, punishing and arial priority wars in SSB64 before anyone gets that first hit in. The only factor here that is extremly different from melee is the lack of a useful shield, since the shieldhitstun in SSB64 was so big. You could basically break shields with kirby's uptilt lol. But this isn't really a minus imo, it's not a bait/punishment is impossible, it just means that you always need to rely on your spacing and never have the option to "trick" your opponent into a shieldgrab (which you have in melee). It's just something that's different about the game.

I agree that SSB64 is more balanced then melee (and off course Brawl)

Regarding which one of them is the best competitive game I don't really know, I'd probably say it's an opinion thing. I prefer melee though.

Both games are amazing, regardless. :)
I agree with everything you said, and definitely prefer Melee to SSB64 (although it's still a great game, much better than Brawl).

Overall, Melee>SSB64>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hello Kitty Adventure>>>>>>Brawl.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Today, I just realized, after attending my second Brawl tournament, that I can't handle it anymore. Its too redundant, too slow, not exciting and not worth the extra characters/stage/random frivolous crap.

However, I'm moving to an area where tournaments will definitely be out of reach again (curse my luck & lack of vehicle). I've practically given up on Brawl, but it looks like my Melee life is over too. *sighs*

However, if in the future, this game is still alive and I live near a major urban centre again, you better bet I'll be playing. Keep this game alive guys, I want Melee to be around when I can play her again. <3

Cinder

Smash Master
Trust me...Melee will live on ^_^...and tbh, I have a similar problem...Virginia Melee took a huge hit from what I've seen (if anyone knows of any tourneys, feel free to point me in the right direction...there's nothing in the Regional Board from what I've seen)...I still have friends, though, so I'll be okay...and I'll be hosting tourneys, so hopefully that'll bring people out of the woodwork...

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I like Brawl and Melee! There I said it! God, why does it matter if I do!
Because you can tell by the thread title that this thread is for people who think brawl sucks...

BTW, thanks for not closing this topic mods, it's a good topic (imo), but would be much better if it weren't for brawl people starting flamewars that last 2-3 pages at a time.

Shroomed

Smash Master
I'm just so mad that brawl pretty much killed competitive melee because of everyone switching over for more tourneys/money. I pretty much got into Melee competitively when brawl was only a couple months away (and i was pretty bad at melee when i started). Now i'm decent and there's only tourneys every like 2 months in my area. And all the college campuses around me are picking up brawl =(

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I think brawl is partially to blame for breaking up the melee community but some people complain and say that brawl cannot be blamed for it. Brawl did make a whole lot of people leave the smash community though because alot of people werent playing melee and they found it boring but now that melee is coming back alive, in my area we are trying to get the oldies back.

Senshi

Smash Rookie
brawl started sucking for me as soon as i played a match and realized
that the pace of the game was slowed considerably and most of the skill
required was taken out (when a first timer can beat a seasoned brawl player,
consistently, theres a problem). I will say that the characters were, for the most
part, evened out, which is definetly a good thing. Oh and should i bother mentioning
Sonic's final smash? talk about broken...:ohwell:

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman

lol no
samus anyone?
What are you doing here, filthy SW child ?

On topic, after playing the game for about a month I just gave up. I'm not even going to bother with Brawl anymore.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Do you even know what SW in my sig stands for, ****er?
I havent even posted there in ages though, I stopped posting there when it started sucking, which was a long time ago (it has sucked for a long time). Its in my sig cuz I asked a friend to do this sig for me a looong time ago and I asked him to put it there, and I havent bothered to ask him change it, I don't even know him anymore.
There was a point where the SW community ruled though. Before you were born. God I miss people like Handsome Horse <3 And Eva, that sheep Street Fighter freak who played mame all the time.
If you even know what I'm talking about lol.

Xx GuNz xX

Smash Journeyman
I realized I didn't like Brawl when I started playing Melee again. I also remembered how fun Melee is.

Sephiroth27

Smash Ace
I played Brawl for about 3 months straight without even looking at Melee. Then, about a week ago, I started to play some Melee with a friend. He started a combo on me with Ganondorf. It went something like this:

Jab > dtilt > jab > Grab > dthrow > ftilt > tech chase stomp >.......as he jumped in the air to finish me off with a fair I exclaimed "oh god this game is awesome."

otg

Smash Master
I played Brawl for about 3 months straight without even looking at Melee. Then, about a week ago, I started to play some Melee with a friend. He started a combo on me with Ganondorf. It went something like this:

Jab > dtilt > jab > Grab > dthrow > ftilt > tech chase stomp >.......as he jumped in the air to finish me off with a fair I exclaimed "oh god this game is awesome."
Wtf, who were you to allow a combo like that to happen.... Bowser?!

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
hmm, i realized when i felt that the game had peaked way too much and was developing too slowly after just 6 months of play...in melee 6th months of play might scratch enough of the surface to get you from complete n00b to mere scrub.

i quit after my first brawl tournament as snake..placed 5th out of 30-40..but i thought it was embarassing that someone could go in having picked up snake that morning and easily compete. so over the summer i didn't go to the brawl tourneys and went to melee ones instead.

Anyways, i'm going to be in sova soon but can't decide whether to play there when it will be brawl..

Wife

Smash Lord
It was when I realized I couldn't watch it being played. I would get distracted or sleepy when waiting for my turn. That never happened in Melee. I get so boooooooooooooooored.

Ok guys seriously, for Melee enthusiasts, check out the videos in my sig. Subscribe to my youtube and remember back to the golden days....

otg

Smash Master
It was when I realized I couldn't watch it being played. I would get distracted or sleepy when waiting for my turn. That never happened in Melee. I get so boooooooooooooooored.

Ok guys seriously, for Melee enthusiasts, check out the videos in my sig. Subscribe to my youtube and remember back to the golden days....
Good to have you supporting the better game, I feel the same way about Brawl. Watching 1v1's is like pulling teeth. Love your MLG commentary as well.

CaptHappyFace

Smash Apprentice
I realized it was bad the moment I got it. "Watch this game not be as good as we thought" I said to my friend...

Lucky guess ^_^

otg

Smash Master
I finally figured out the most concrete reason I have:

I've been playing Melee for years, still not bored of it, never gets old
Played Brawl for 3 months, got sick of it a little too quickly.

Plus watching Brawl matches is painful sometimes unless its Mk dittos (god bless him). I could watch Melee vids all day long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom