• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Are Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions? (Ver. 2)

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
If you look at it from an objective stand point, I think the Angry Birds movie was probably the best video game movie, or at least the best one I’ve seen.

I had a lot more fun with stuff like the Mario movie or Detective Pikachu but I think both of those movies and basically every video game movie I’ve seen have had significant flaws and plot was not their first priority. They felt like the first or second draft of a movie script to me. Those movies I mentioned probably wouldn’t have been nearly as enjoyable if they weren’t representing a brand so well. Angry Birds just feels like a silly kids movie and by default the best constructed and written one even if it wasn’t as enjoyable to me.
how is that an objective stand point?

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
how is that an objective stand point?
I didn’t mean objective as in my opinions are the objective truth, I meant objective as in I’m not considering at my pre-concieved notions on a movie or the hype I derived from seeing a thing I like adapted when I analyze the quality of video game movies

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I didn’t mean objective as in my opinions are the objective truth, I meant objective as in I’m not considering at my pre-concieved notions on a movie or the hype I derived from seeing a thing I like adapted when I analyze the quality of video game movies
but the quality of a movie is a subjective thing

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
but the quality of a movie is a subjective thing
Yes but other parts of the movie aren’t subjective. If we’re comparing the Mario movie and the Angry Birds movie I subjectively believe the Mario movie is better because I enjoyed it more, but the plot of the Angry Birds movie objectively flows better and makes more sense than the Mario movie if you aren’t familiar with the Mario series. So I think Mario was better from a subjective standpoint but Angry Birds was better from a more objective standpoint.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yes but other parts of the movie aren’t subjective. If we’re comparing the Mario movie and the Angry Birds movie I subjectively believe the Mario movie is better because I enjoyed it more, but the plot of the Angry Birds movie objectively flows better and makes more sense than the Mario movie if you aren’t familiar with the Mario series. So I think Mario was better from a subjective standpoint but Angry Birds was better from a more objective standpoint.
alright then

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
"First GOOD insert genre here game" is not an accomplishment, at least not more of an accomplishment than being the actual first - even if we're to pretend that game quality isn't subjective.

In fact, I'd say that in general people put way too much stock in game quality when talking about gaming history and its milestones.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I think Isezaki Ijincho from Yakuza Like A Dragon is an infinitely more interesting area than Kamurocho and the dynamics of the criminal underworld were established way better in just two games than the like 11 games set in Kamurocho.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Please dont make a Live action Zelda Movie!
PLEASE!
Like it would end up like a marvel movie anyways were 90% of things are animated anyways!
I just want to have link with anime eyes (like in the games) is that too much too ask!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Please dont make a Live action Zelda Movie!
PLEASE!
Like it would end up like a marvel movie anyways were 90% of things are animated anyways!
I just want to have link with anime eyes (like in the games) is that too much too ask!
or better yet, don’t make a movie at all

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
My extremely weird opinion is that the new Zelda movie needs to take cues from Fire Emblem to be good.

You can't really take all the collecting and dungeon crawling in Zelda and turn it into a movie, but several characters coming together and fighting a resurgent evil overlord and some governmental problems could work.

Like they shouldn't make it a straight adaptation of a Zelda game, but instead put more focus on the characters. I'd like to see Zelda be motivated to both defeat evil and clean up systemic issues with the country and Ganon see all the systemic issues of Hyrule as a reason to put himself on top.

I know politics are boring and all, but again Fire Emblem usually manages to have a tasteful amount to give context to the conflict instead of having it overtake the plot.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
My extremely weird opinion is that the new Zelda movie needs to take cues from Fire Emblem to be good.

You can't really take all the collecting and dungeon crawling in Zelda and turn it into a movie, but several characters coming together and fighting a resurgent evil overlord and some governmental problems could work.

Like they shouldn't make it a straight adaptation of a Zelda game, but instead put more focus on the characters. I'd like to see Zelda be motivated to both defeat evil and clean up systemic issues with the country and Ganon see all the systemic issues of Hyrule as a reason to put himself on top.

I know politics are boring and all, but again Fire Emblem usually manages to have a tasteful amount to give context to the conflict instead of having it overtake the plot.
Multiple characters coming together to defeat a foe? I guess that makes sense aslong as link has a majority of the focus!
Systemic issues? I dunno i prefer my zelda plots without that stuff!
The main issue with politics are that zelda games usually dont have them the closest being some gerudo plotpoints but even that barely counts!

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Darkstalkers is nowhere near "neglected" or "not agnowledged" when it comes to other capcom games but I think the fact that it does get referenced so much and it's return has been teased so much kinda makes the lack of any meaningful new content for it sting more. I am glad it gets rereleases, references, and costumes of course though.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
So a bit of backstory im a bit of a spiderman (peterparker) fan!
I watched a playthrough of Spiderman ps4 and wanted to get all games 1, MM and 2 and than i heard that they said that Miles Morales is now the main spiderman! And you know what that would make some sense i guess BUT how can you do that before the big epic clash with green goblin?
And i mean considering how politically motivated marvel is currently it wouldnt surprise me if they just wanna flush peter down the toilet!
Again i watched Spiderverse (wanted to watch 2 but it just didnt work out)
I dont know this whole thing just makes me a bit hesitant to play the Spiderman Ps4/5 Series!

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
My unpopular gaming opinion is Fighting Games & RPGs goes hand & hand. If you go out your way to learn a Fighting Games. You can see your progression rates similar to that of your RPG character build.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Wasnt really sure where to put this or if these are even unpopular opinions but wanted to get thoughts on nasb2 off my chest. Personally i feel kind of burnt out on smash like games. Did not enjoy nasb1 or Multiversus that much despite giving them a fair shot & really wanting to like them since competition is good for genre. Both games just had me wanting to go back & play a proper Smash game.

I am kind of conflicted now though, nasb2 is supposedly considered much better by most yet i feel a complete lack of motivation to even give it a shot after the last game, very questionable roster choices (arguably one of the biggest parts of the game), & lack of a major new mode that appeals to me (not super interested in a rogue-like mode). Idk ill probably come around when it goes on a decent sale

• Spongebob - Squidward was my most wanted from the last game & the only fighter i still feel excited to play as. Ok with Sandy beung cut especially since we pretty much got every other major series character but besides maybe Mermaid Man it would feel weird to see anyone else added before she returns.
  • TMNT - Swapping the turtles is actually a decent idea imo but im still left sour from it since leonard was my favorite fighter from the last game. Also Rocksteady feels too weird without Shredder, Casey, & Splinter being here.
  • Avatar - Zuko or Iroh were probably my 2nd most wanted. But it seems like overkill to get them & Azula yet no Earthbender with Toph being cut (which i normally would have been ok with the trade). Plus the fact you have to pay extra for them as DLC completely killed my excitement for them being added.
  • Angry Beavers - Another most wanted they completely messed up. For some reason i always put them side by side with Catdog & wanted them to battle in nasb. Now we still cant do that (overall would have went with Catdog if we can only have 1 as well)
  • Danny Phantom - Not trying to dive too deep into the subject, yes the situation sucks but Ember just feels like a bad choice especially when the series has no shortage of good characters who dont have similar issues. (We got Azula as a female villain plus Danny Phantom has Desiree or other choices outside that archetype like Skulker, Technus, Walker, Box Ghost, & Valerie)
  • Hey Arnold - Not only did they cut Helga who was ok in place of Arnold but they added 2 characters who still arent Arnold. The series lineup just seems way too bizarre at this point. To me its like if they had Zelda in the 1st game, cut her & added Ganondorf & Tingle with Link still being missing.
  • Jimmy Neutron - I guess i cant complain too much here, Hugh is an odd exclusion given the fan demand but Jimmy is the series protag & offers unique moveset potential although i think they both could have been here especially over other choices in the grand scheme of things.
  • Loud House - Not familiar with show, know its newer & it seems weird to cut the protag Lincoln but its not something im really attached to & admittedly id rather see other shows gets reps.
  • Ah Real Monsters - Not happy Oblina got cut. She was a cool inclusion & at the very least should have been replaced to keep the series in the game.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I dont want a Lego marvel Infinity Saga game!
The fact that like every villain looks better in the comics AND that mcu Designs are fair game in regular marvel superhero games!
Theres really no point in making another MCU Game i mean just have thanos be the villain in Marvel Superheroes 2!
Also this way the spiderman rogues gallery is in the next marvel game (remember no way home isnt in the infinity saga)
And this way they can also include phase 4 and 5 characters in better ways! Just have Movie Shangchi and Comic Book Eternals show up for a level to help out captain america or the Hulk or something! And i dunno i like the Marvel superheroes games continuity and like to see a third game in it!

Rizen

Smash Legend
Nintendo doesn't make 10/10 perfect games anymore. They make some near perfect games but still rely on archaic policies that hurt the quality of their products. Take Tears of the Kingdom for example. Great game, very creative but held back because Nintendo can't quite wrap their heads around the modern era. Cell shading graphics. Yeah it looks good but for a 2015 game maybe. Look at most PS5 games and you'll really see how much better they are in presentation. Ganon is a grossly overused, cliche and 2 dimensional villain. He's completely shoehorned in even though it doesn't make sense because he was the villain of the last game too. But they couldn't come up with an original villain. This applies to Bowser too. The voice acting is not great and done in a really half assed way where most of the game is still covered by text and grunts. Most games are fully voice acted by now. When there are games with amazing graphics, original plots and villains, and full voice acting like Horizon Forbidden West, I just can't justify giving TotK a perfect score. This applies to all Nintendo's best games. Get with the times.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
When there are games with amazing graphics, original plots and villains, and full voice acting like Horizon Forbidden West
well there's a contradiction in terms

disclaimer: I’m only teasing

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Nintendo doesn't make 10/10 perfect games anymore. They make some near perfect games but still rely on archaic policies that hurt the quality of their products. Take Tears of the Kingdom for example. Great game, very creative but held back because Nintendo can't quite wrap their heads around the modern era. Cell shading graphics. Yeah it looks good but for a 2015 game maybe. Look at most PS5 games and you'll really see how much better they are in presentation. Ganon is a grossly overused, cliche and 2 dimensional villain. He's completely shoehorned in even though it doesn't make sense because he was the villain of the last game too. But they couldn't come up with an original villain. This applies to Bowser too. The voice acting is not great and done in a really half assed way where most of the game is still covered by text and grunts. Most games are fully voice acted by now. When there are games with amazing graphics, original plots and villains, and full voice acting like Horizon Forbidden West, I just can't justify giving TotK a perfect score. This applies to all Nintendo's best games. Get with the times.
Bruh, if you want original games, never follow a franchise whatsoever.

BritishGuy54

Smash Journeyman
The sonic series needs to move on from its earlier games. Or at the very least from those games levels. I’m getting rather bored of going through them every game. Sonic generations had done better, a selection of levels from many of the games in the series but ever since then it’s just been the same set of levels all the time. Green hill, chemical plant, sky sanctuary over and over. But what about everything else? Windy valley, sand ocean, mad space, egg fleet, route 99 and so on. Why must we always return to the same levels?
It is a bit hypocritical when you’ve listed locations only from the early 2000’s Sonic games. Other locations should be considered too.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
It is a bit hypocritical when you’ve listed locations only from the early 2000’s Sonic games. Other locations should be considered too.
Well first of all that’s an old post. I believe I was going for later on but still old stages. Cause it’s about them bringing back old stages

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I really like assassins creed syndicate. The story is pretty meh but is at least better than plenty of modern open 3D world games. The open world is genuinely super interesting and it's just kind of a joy to run around in. I dunno I just think it's a cool game.

D

Deleted member

I never could get into the whole "Chao Garden" thing so I roll my eyes when people beg for that feature to return in future Sonic games.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I don’t mind games taking a long time between entries. I think the ideal amount of time between entries is about 5-6 years (so like the length between Zelda games lol) to let more ideas shine and let devs take more of a rest between entries. I never really feel any kind of rush for games to get new entries and I’m even content with series like Donkey Kong Country not getting a new entry for a little while longer. Weird spin-offs are definitely appreciated though.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The double jump gets a lot of criticism for being a lazy option in platformers, but I've always liked it. Amy Rose having it in Sonic Superstars is what finally got me liking her playstyle and a good 3D title like Hat in Time can really make effective use of it. To me it's like the peanut butter & jelly sandwich of platformer options: simple, uncreative, but still always a treat.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
It's a shame Boti Byteland Overclocked launched such a glitchy mess. That game oozes personality. I think it could be really good after a few crucial updates.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
There's a well-known debate about how Sonic's move into 3D went with one side claiming they did, and it wasn't until reviews by YouTubers that fans turned on it and the other side saying it was a rough transition from the start with the public sentiment gradually going against Sonic resulting from that. However, there's' another angle which I think reflects a more nuanced circumstance that those early 6th gen releases found themselves in. In my estimation I think those 3D Sonic titles were flawed but solid enough games that happened to be on the wrong side of a major zeitgeist shift happening roughly 2000-2002.

Geek Critique has done great video that really went into detail about the growing pains of the early aughts, but long story short, console gaming underwent as seismic shift with that 6th generation. The struggles of Nintendo with the GameCube, the greater dominance of Sony with the PS2, the departure of Sega from hardware after the Dreamcast's disappointing sales, the emergence of Microsoft with the Xbox; it all was indicative of the end of a particular era that had been going since the days of the Famicom/NES. Stuff like Halo, GTA III, & Metal Gear Solid 2 all served to challenge the idea of what console gaming was and were the titles people were pointing to as a sign of the hobby maturing.

Why this is at all relevant to Sonic? Because I do believe there was a bit of a change in both people's expectations and allowances for certain types of games that they had previously been fairly warm to. I think the issues with the likes of SA1 & SA2 were ones that a lot of players were willing to forgive once upon a time, but once there were so many disruptions to conventional gaming and how it was entering its adolescence, what were flaws that the broader playerbase were willing to look past suddenly became major holes in the proverbial armor of Sonic games. An enjoyable speedy platformer with some weak sections and hit and miss story segments wasn't going to cut it now to a lot of gamers that were seeing new forms of storytelling and seemingly redefined gameplay in other titles.

Platformers in general got hit with a lot of understated dismissal in this period and in some ways the genre didn't really broadly recover from it until the retro 2D variations got big and the nostalgia for 3D ones started kicking in around sometime late in the 7th gen. Mario escaped this to a degree, yet even that was largely because the series historical significance gave it token respect and that mainline titles went into a major hibernation (with only one new big Mario release coming out between July 1996 and April 2006). That the positive reception to that one game (Sunshine) was fairly restrained compared to what came before and after is telling in its own way; even Mario wasn't really wowing people as much anymore.

Essentially those early 3D Sonic titles may not have had the same consistency as the various 16 bit entries, they still had clear value as technologically impressive hardware showcases and made for pretty fun experiences. However, the problems that were present (and make no mistake they were there) got put under a much harsher microscope from a gaming world that was seeing so many conventions challenged and so many old styles of genres suddenly coming off as outdated. In that sense it's not really a surprise that younger fans largely unaware or uncaring about this proverbial conversation were the ones that would later elevate the Adventure titles and be so baffled by how quickly opinions soured on it. We're so far removed that context that it is tricky to really get it unless you were there, or you dig deep into the discussion/reviews going on at the time.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
There's a well-known debate about how Sonic's move into 3D went with one side claiming they did, and it wasn't until reviews by YouTubers that fans turned on it and the other side saying it was a rough transition from the start with the public sentiment gradually going against Sonic resulting from that. However, there's' another angle which I think reflects a more nuanced circumstance that those early 6th gen releases found themselves in. In my estimation I think those 3D Sonic titles were flawed but solid enough games that happened to be on the wrong side of a major zeitgeist shift happening roughly 2000-2002.

Geek Critique has done great video that really went into detail about the growing pains of the early aughts, but long story short, console gaming underwent as seismic shift with that 6th generation. The struggles of Nintendo with the GameCube, the greater dominance of Sony with the PS2, the departure of Sega from hardware after the Dreamcast's disappointing sales, the emergence of Microsoft with the Xbox; it all was indicative of the end of a particular era that had been going since the days of the Famicom/NES. Stuff like Halo, GTA III, & Metal Gear Solid 2 all served to challenge the idea of what console gaming was and were the titles people were pointing to as a sign of the hobby maturing.

Why this is at all relevant to Sonic? Because I do believe there was a bit of a change in both people's expectations and allowances for certain types of games that they had previously been fairly warm to. I think the issues with the likes of SA1 & SA2 were ones that a lot of players were willing to forgive once upon a time, but once there were so many disruptions to conventional gaming and how it was entering its adolescence, what were flaws that the broader playerbase were willing to look past suddenly became major holes in the proverbial armor of Sonic games. An enjoyable speedy platformer with some weak sections and hit and miss story segments wasn't going to cut it now to a lot of gamers that were seeing new forms of storytelling and seemingly redefined gameplay in other titles.

Platformers in general got hit with a lot of understated dismissal in this period and in some ways the genre didn't really broadly recover from it until the retro 2D variations got big and the nostalgia for 3D ones started kicking in around sometime late in the 7th gen. Mario escaped this to a degree, yet even that was largely because the series historical significance gave it token respect and that mainline titles went into a major hibernation (with only one new big Mario release coming out between July 1996 and April 2006). That the positive reception to that one game (Sunshine) was fairly restrained compared to what came before and after is telling in its own way; even Mario wasn't really wowing people as much anymore.

Essentially those early 3D Sonic titles may not have had the same consistency as the various 16 bit entries, they still had clear value as technologically impressive hardware showcases and made for pretty fun experiences. However, the problems that were present (and make no mistake they were there) got put under a much harsher microscope from a gaming world that was seeing so many conventions challenged and so many old styles of genres suddenly coming off as outdated. In that sense it's not really a surprise that younger fans largely unaware or uncaring about this proverbial conversation were the ones that would later elevate the Adventure titles and be so baffled by how quickly opinions soured on it. We're so far removed that context that it is tricky to really get it unless you were there, or you dig deep into the discussion/reviews going on at the time.
It's interesting to think that Sonic Heroes was were it felt like the gloves were truly off when it came to critical reception towards 3D Sonic. Like yes, the re-releases for Adventure 1 & 2 were met with more muted responses (to be fair in Adventures' case, SEGA made it worse and worse every time they re-released it lol), but their original releases were actually pretty well received in their era. To me, even growing up with SA1 & 2, Sonic Heroes always felt like it was where Sonic "got bad", kinda like watching Spongebob Squarepants Season 4 coming off the back of the first three seasons and the movie.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It's interesting to think that Sonic Heroes was were it felt like the gloves were truly off when it came to critical reception towards 3D Sonic. Like yes, the re-releases for Adventure 1 & 2 were met with more muted responses (to be fair in Adventures' case, SEGA made it worse and worse every time they re-released it lol), but their original releases were actually pretty well received in their era. To me, even growing up with SA1 & 2, Sonic Heroes always felt like it was where Sonic "got bad", kinda like watching Spongebob Squarepants Season 4 coming off the back of the first three seasons and the movie.
Heroes had the combination of technically being the Sonic game with the most exposure as a multiplat on the big three consoles, and where the ambitions of the developers were largely not matched by the execution. There were little experiments in SA1 and SA2 that didn't necessarily land, but the core games were close to consistent as action platformers. Heroes central concept had loads of potential and unfortunately much of the game never quite gets close to it. Moreover with much lighter tone and a very odd presentation of the characters personalities, even fans of Sonic's stories were never terribly inclined to make much of a defense of it.

Rizen

Smash Legend
The issue with Sonic Heroes was that all 4 stories were playing the same stages, mostly the same way. Granted one story was easy, another medium, another hard and one with different objectives but you didn't get the variety of previous 3D Sonic games. It felt very repetitive. To make matters worse, you were forced to play all 4 stories to get the true final boss and ending. All this was on top of the standard issues that plagued Sonic games like bad cameras. TL;DR Heroes wasn't the quality of Sonic Adventure 1 and 2.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Heroes had the combination of technically being the Sonic game with the most exposure as a multiplat on the big three consoles, and where the ambitions of the developers were largely not matched by the execution. There were little experiments in SA1 and SA2 that didn't necessarily land, but the core games were close to consistent as action platformers. Heroes central concept had loads of potential and unfortunately much of the game never quite gets close to it. Moreover with much lighter tone and a very odd presentation of the characters personalities, even fans of Sonic's stories were never terribly inclined to make much of a defense of it.
Yeah Iizuka's talked about the horror stories of that game's development in the past:

Iizuka recalls the development cycle of Sonic Heroes, the first multiplatform mainline Sonic console game, as the most stressful of his career, in part thanks to deadlines. He was based in the United States while the rest of the development team was in Japan, and mismanagement took its toll on the team. "The level design for Sonic Heroes was made by two people: me and one other person," he says. "As we got to the later stages of development, this other person got pretty sick and didn't show up to work, so level design was made by one person! So for those very last stages of the game, I didn't sleep at all and I was constantly working. I lost about [22 pounds] because I was just cranking away and it was just work, work, work. I didn't sleep because I had to finish the game on my own. Almost dying!"

Top Bottom