• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Are Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions? (Ver. 2)

AAchillin

Smash Rookie
I really enjoyed Star Fox Adventures despite its flaws, and as far as "Zelda clones" go it's not bad at all. If you go into it expecting more Star Fox 64, you'll be disappointed, but you might have fun playing it with an open mind.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Zelda is far more lighthearted than people think it is! Yes most zelda games have serious plots but zelda is still incredibly vibrant, funny, cute and about the thrill of adventure 90% of the Time!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
As a whole, gamers are way too harsh in game criticism. I don't have anything against criticism. The industry needs it to grow.

But too many gamers are more than willing to purposely ignore a game's strengths, overplay its weaknesses and treat serviceable games as irredeemable trash. A mediocre game isn't the end of the word, and its not trash. It's mediocre and that's not bad. A lot of the most beloved games of all time are mediocre. I don't want a 7 hour video explaining every single flaw of a game while giving the game's strengths a fraction of the time. Gamers just want to nerd rage and its exhausting.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
As a whole, gamers are way too harsh in game criticism. I don't have anything against criticism. The industry needs it to grow.

But too many gamers are more than willing to purposely ignore a game's strengths, overplay its weaknesses and treat serviceable games as irredeemable trash. A mediocre game isn't the end of the word, and its not trash. It's mediocre and that's not bad. A lot of the most beloved games of all time are mediocre. I don't want a 7 hour video explaining every single flaw of a game while giving the game's strengths a fraction of the time. Gamers just want to nerd rage and its exhausting.
In my opinion it can be fun to be maybe a little overly harsh on a game in some situations. For smaller games like Lord of the Rings Gollum, that wasn’t made by a AAA studio so it’s not as fun to dunk on. For larger games like Tears of the Kingdom for example (just using that because it’s a game I feel like I have a lot more flaws with than others) sometimes it can be a little fun to see people maybe be a little too harsh while dunking on it, considering the enormous amount of hype and how Nintendo is the biggest game company that was for a time basically the default game company.

I don’t think it all comes down to gamer rage too. I see a lot of people who are way too harsh on games like Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation, who is one of my favorite content creators, but is extremely harsh and critical to most modern games. Despite this he can still come across as constructive and fair. Sometimes it’s necessary to put bigger expectations of quality on AAA studios to get an experience that’s better, why just allow games to be mediocre when we can offer criticism and shift the discourse on the game in a way that game studios will pay attention to?

Back to the example of TotK, a lot of its improvements over BotW wouldn’t have happened if so many people hadn’t offered their criticisms over an otherwise masterpiece and the idea of just letting mediocrity be mediocre seems very unconstructive to me

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
In my opinion it can be fun to be maybe a little overly harsh on a game in some situations. For smaller games like Lord of the Rings Gollum, that wasn’t made by a AAA studio so it’s not as fun to dunk on. For larger games like Tears of the Kingdom for example (just using that because it’s a game I feel like I have a lot more flaws with than others) sometimes it can be a little fun to see people maybe be a little too harsh while dunking on it, considering the enormous amount of hype and how Nintendo is the biggest game company that was for a time basically the default game company.

I don’t think it all comes down to gamer rage too. I see a lot of people who are way too harsh on games like Yahtzee from Zero Punctuation, who is one of my favorite content creators, but is extremely harsh and critical to most modern games. Despite this he can still come across as constructive and fair. Sometimes it’s necessary to put bigger expectations of quality on AAA studios to get an experience that’s better, why just allow games to be mediocre when we can offer criticism and shift the discourse on the game in a way that game studios will pay attention to?

Back to the example of TotK, a lot of its improvements over BotW wouldn’t have happened if so many people hadn’t offered their criticisms over an otherwise masterpiece and the idea of just letting mediocrity be mediocre seems very unconstructive to me
yahtzee is harsh but hilarious, but he’s definitely right about a lot of things. his impression of an ace attorney game was spot on

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett

Preach. A game can't just be average or okay anymore, every game that comes out is either the best or worst game ever based on what the masses decide the moment it's out. Nobody seems to know you can enjoy a game in spite of its flaws anymore.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Tinykin>Pikmin. I never was a big fan of Pikmin in the first place. I like Tinykin's faster pace and more vertical levels.

Edit,

Anyone play Mario Kart? It bugs me that Wiggler has 4 body segments plus a head in the Mario games but in Mario Kart it only has 3 segments plus a head. I get why they did it but it still bugs me.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
This is probably an ice cold take but FE Fates should’ve gone all in on the Japanese-inspired setting and (for a potentially hotter take) has Azura as the protagonist.

As for other games,I would’ve also liked to see the FE1 remake on GBA as a Zero Mission-esque remake (one that tells the same story with added depth and a new set of 5 chapters after the defeat of Medeus) and Sacred Stones as a brand new Fire Emblem game on the DS.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Nintendo isnt "Evil" at all yes they do some things that are disheartening as a fan but see it from the rights perspective Every Fangame poses a danger to their franchise Rights Yes the danger is small but Nintendos biggest possesion is their Franchises also saying NINTENDO as a whole hates its fans is dumb when like 80% Of Nintendo Employees work their asses of to deliver great games!
In Short Nintendo doesnt hate You or any other fan but it Still wants to make money!

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I prefer seeing characters get added as crossover picks in a traditional fighting games rather than platfighters. It just seems more interesting to see how they adapt their moveset and personality into a game with a bit more restrictions on how you need to design a character but with less restrictions on how crazy their moves can get. If you asked me if I wanted a character in Marvel Vs. Capcom or Smash, I’d say MvC anytime.

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I dont know if thats unpopular but i want the next few smash games to be spinoffs that focus on specific series like Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Pokemon and sorta kirby! And than some of these spinoff characters should be brought into regular smash!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
The idea that "good" games are inherently more worth remembering or celebrating than "bad" games is really stupid. Quality isn't objective for one thing, for another a lot of bad games have elements (usually music) that can be widely agreed upon as good, and it's also outright disrespectful to let "good" games get the credit for creating things other, "worse" games did first or at the same time. (Looking at you, Super Mario 64.)

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Well having been a long time fan of the Final Fantasy series, I still prefer Final Fantasies VII to X in contrast to XV and XVI (which I can't seem to get in to for some reason.)

Quillion

Smash Hero
I prefer seeing characters get added as crossover picks in a traditional fighting games rather than platfighters. It just seems more interesting to see how they adapt their moveset and personality into a game with a bit more restrictions on how you need to design a character but with less restrictions on how crazy their moves can get. If you asked me if I wanted a character in Marvel Vs. Capcom or Smash, I’d say MvC anytime.
Come to think of it, the wide variance in stuff like movement speeds, attack speeds, combo ability, and (as of late) mechanics in Smash is dumb honestly. It's like if a DMC or Bayonetta game had a weapon/character that plays like a Dark Souls Ultra Greatsword or if a game like MvC had a character that can't air combo but instead can kill an opponent in a few hits like in Samurai Shodown.

I'm not so sure that (knockback-based) platform fighters have "less restrictions" on character design per se, it's just that Smash has a big monopoly on the genre, and its own range of characters makes its excessive variety seem normalized.

darkvortex

Smash Lord
A random unpopular opinion just came up to my head...
Geist and Eternal Darkness are really good games and they should inspire Nintendo to make more mature games.
That isn't un popular. Eternal Darkness has people asking for its return all the time

Geist is also not very good

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Zelda's timeline is a biggest mess,i wonder how all links are different since they have the same clothes and the same hair,princess zelda on the games is easy to know that is not the same zelda by the hair,the dresses and personalities,it don't make sense of ganondorf is the same character of all zelda games,because the games have a lot of art-style change and ganon form is very different on each games,i wonder why Breath of The Wild and Tears of The Kingdom are not part of the timeline or why Hyrule Warriors is not canon on the timeline

If Zelda's timeline was a little bit similar to Castlevania's timeline,it will be a timeline better

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Dunno if this is specificallly gaming-related, but I think Ash's teams in the anime should've been:
(* denotes Pokemon Ash released or otherwise at some point)
  • Pikachu
  • Pidgey -> Pidgeotto -> Pidgeot*
  • Ivysaur
  • Charmander -> Charmeleon -> Charizard
  • Squirtle*
  • Caterpie -> Metapod -> Butterfree*
  • Haunter
  • Primeape*
  • 30 Tauros
  • Snorlax
  • Lapras*
  • Dratini -> Dragonoir -> Dragonite
  • Any of the Legendary birds
  • Returning
    • Pikachu
    • Charizard
    • Squirtle*
    • Ivysaur
    • Haunter -> Gengar
    • Dragonite
    • Ash's Legendary bird
  • New
    • Cyndaquil -> Quilava -> Typhlosion
    • Heracross
    • Noctowl
    • Phanpy -> Donphan
    • Ho-Oh
    • Larvitar -> Pupitar -> Tyranitar
    • Aipom
    • Gligar
  • Returning
    • Pikachu
    • Gengar
    • Dragonite
    • Snorlax
    • Typhlosion
    • Heracross
    • Donphan
    • Tyranitar
  • New
    • Treecko -> Grovyle -> Sceptile
    • Tailow -> Swellow
    • Torkoal
    • Snorunt -> Glailie
    • Corpish
    • Latias
  • Returning
    • Pikachu
    • Gengar
    • Snorlax
    • Aipom -> Ambipom*
    • Gligar -> Gliscor
    • Heracross
    • Glailie
    • Latias
  • New
    • Chimchar -> Monferno -> Infernape
    • Starly -> Staravia -> Staraptor
    • Riolu -> Lucario
    • Shinx -> Luxio -> Luxray
    • Buizel
    • Gible -> Gabite -> Garchomp
    • Rotom
    • Azelf
  • Returning
    • Pikachu
    • Snorlax
    • Dragonite
    • Tyranitar
    • Torkoal
    • Latias
    • Lucario
    • Luxray
    • Rotom
    • Staraptor
  • New
    • Snivy -> Servine -> Seprerior
    • Tepig -> Pignite
    • Oshawott
    • Scraggy -> Scrafty
    • Roggenrola -> Boldore -> Gigalith
    • Sandile -> Krokorok -> Krookodile
    • Chandelure
    • Volcarona
    • Deino -> Zweilous -> Hydreigon
    • Zekrom
    • Meloetta
  • Returning
    • Pikachu
    • Charizard <-> Mega Charizard Y
    • Gengar <-> Mega Gengar
    • Ash's Legendary bird
    • Heracross <-> Mega Heracross
    • Tyranitar <-> Mega Tyranitar
    • Sceptile <-> Mega Sceptile
    • Glailie <-> Mega Glailie
    • Latias <-> Mega Latias
    • Lucario <-> Mega Lucario
    • Garchomp <-> Mega Garchomp
  • New
    • Froakie -> Frogadier -> Greninja* <-> Ash-Greninja
    • Fletchling -> Fletchinder -> Talonflame
    • Hawlucha
    • Noibat -> Noivern
    • Goomy -> Sliggooo -> Goodra*
    • Xerneas
  • Returning
    • Pikachu
    • Snorlax
    • Rotom
    • Oshawott
    • Krookodile
    • Hawlucha
  • New
    • Litten -> Torracat -> Incineroar
    • Rowlet
    • Rockruff -> Lycanroc
    • Meltan -> Melmetal
    • Poipole -> Naganadel
    • Cosmog -> Cosmoem -> Solgaleo
  • Returning
    • Pikachu
    • Charizard
    • Gengar
    • Snorlax
    • Ash's Legendary bird
    • Typhlosion
    • Heracross
    • Tyranitar
    • Ho-Oh
    • Sceptile
    • Torkoal
    • Latias
    • Infernape
    • Staraptor
    • Lucario
    • Garchomp
    • Rotom
    • Azelf
    • Oshawott
    • Scrafty
    • Gigalith
    • Krookodile
    • Chandelure
    • Volcorona
    • Hydreigon
    • Zekrom
    • Meloetta
    • Hawlucha
    • Noivern
    • Xerneas
    • Incineroar
    • Rowlet
    • Lycanroc
    • Melmetal
  • New
    • Scorbunny -> Raboot -> Cinderace
    • Galarian Farfetch'd -> Sirfetch'd
    • Toxel -> Toxtricity
    • Dracovish
    • Zacian

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Also the fact that they are willing to throw all older bridget fans under the bus is a big Yikes for me! (Shouldve just made Bridgets brother trans TBH)
I want you to think about this part specifically because this is just offensive, man. A character becoming trans is not “throwing their older fans under the bus” and anyone who thinks less of a character (or by god a person) because they’re trans is being harmful. Plus Bridget was only in older Guilty Gear games so I don’t get why you think there’s such a strong dichotomy between older and newer fans. I’m not trying to accuse you of transphobia nevessarily, just that this part could be really hurtful to some people and you should not continue to post stuff like this in the future.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I do wanna STRETCH that im not a Guilty Gear fan but
Your post should end here. You know nothing about Guilty Gear outside of a wiki dive and whatever nonsense you read from a bunch of weirdo tourists.

Also the fact that they are willing to throw all older bridget fans under the bus is a big Yikes for me! (Shouldve just made Bridgets brother trans TBH)
They threw no one under the bus by progressing Bridget's story. It's just tourists throwing themselves under because they're mad the underage boy they were jacking off to is actually an adult woman now. Curious how these people don't get assmad about Testament being non-binary but then that'd require actually playing Guilty Gear and knowing who they are.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Level-5('s old Yo-Kai Watch team) should totally work with Atlus/Sega to make a kid-friendly Shin Megami Tensei "mon" game.

ProtoAdaptor

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-5200-3069-3826
i'm actually a big fan of the newer mega man games! 10 and 11 have been some of my favorite romps, they're a lot more polished than say 2 or 3 (hell even 4 maybe).

also
They threw no one under the bus by progressing Bridget's story. It's just tourists throwing themselves under because they're mad the underage boy they were jacking off to is actually an adult woman now. Curious how these people don't get assmad about Testament being non-binary but then that'd require actually playing Guilty Gear and knowing who they are.
holy **** YOU KILLED THEM im your biggest fan now schnee

Top Bottom