• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Sheik

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Nice info gimpy. I have always messed around with Sheik, but never taken her seriously until I read your post. I played a bunch of doubles matches today and she is ****ing beastly. I need to try and work that nair to smash combo in

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
well she's not exactly the best character in the game but she has a LOT of solid matchups (and a few pretty horrible ones) she does have a lot of tools to make her effective - the main problem for sheiks growth is the all to common metaknight - not impossible but wow is it difficult lol

iceys are also really really dumb - and apparently game and watch is also.

but if you wanted a ganon counter (as if that isn't everyone already) sheik can just press buttons at random and win LOL

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I have a lot of experience against Sheik because I play champ all the time, so I know this matchup in and out. DACUS is actually really good at first (it can be performed consistently) but it gets significantly nerfed after your opponent gets used to it existing and its range. I think needles are really good and can get you "free damage" every now and then. Sheik is pretty good at aggressive edgeguarding, especially if your character doesn't have the best recovery. I think she's got her good matchup and has favorable matchups against pretty much everyone below her on the SBR tier list. A decently good character who in the right hands can beat very good players using better characters.

Sheik Peach team ftw! (The Second set on the page hahah)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Synopsis:

Sheik's weaknesses and strengths are as clear as day, especially when you realize that they are practically the opposite of Zelda's. She is a combo machine at low % and can get some crazy gimps too, making her very frustrating to play against at low %. Unfortuantely for Sheik, her only realible KO move is her upsmash and that is difficult to land! Sheik's down+b solves this problem to a certain extent, but the fact that Sheik can't make it on her own means this is a problem for her for sure!

Sheik's needles are an interesting projectile and can be used as a great damage builder, and with her over-b glitch she can get some crazy good priority with her chain (although it isn't entirely practical in most cases). Her recovery isn't spectacular, but it isn't awful either.

Sheik, as a solo character, isn't that great. Depending on the user's ability to switch effectively and then get a KO, she can be a well-rounded character that can have an excellent balance of offense and defense.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
ROFL. I accidentally moved this to the Melee Sheik boards and I don't have mod powers on the Melee boards so I can't move it. I wonder how long it'll take people to realize that...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Teh_Spammerer says Sheik is a good character. He's done decently well against some professional Snakes like Chu using Sheik.

One of the things he brought up is how Sheik can effectively kill Snake with the Up-B. There is a certain height where if Snake air dodges or initiates an aerial when Sheik Up-Bs, she will be invincible when he hits the ground and then the Up-B will hit him.

And paraphrasing him for other reasons why Sheik is good: F-tilt locks ending in U-smash, needles are gay, good edgeguarding, grab release U-smash, and using her in conjunction with Zelda is very good.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
The one thing that really interest me about Sheik is that she has so many areas in which someone can improve in.

Back in Melee after a half a year or so I pretty much learned everything you needed to know about Sheik to play well but now there's just so much to work on and get better with that I just can't help but feel she's a lot better then what we are seeing now.

Oh and Gimpy mad props for talking good about Sheik you always seem to put her down in the forums

M@v

Subarashii!
1st off this is coming from a melee sheik/zelda main, and a current sheik/zelda secondary.

Sheik is, well, a LOT worse than melee. However, she isn't bad. As you guys said, upsmash is her most reliable kill move. Her priority is ok, I have seen better. Thankfully she's a combo master to compensate for the lack of killing. *cough*ftilt lock*cough*. She reminds me of fox in brawl, except she can't kill well. They both can combo great, Both have a decent recovery, and both are light(bad thing, early deaths lol.)

I played Zelda and sheik together in melee as well(thunder kicks for the win). What keeps sheik viable for higher level play the invaluable ability to transform to Zelda, who can't combo well, but can kill like no tomorrow. I agree about the SBR discussion, about how Sheik and Zelda are great together. Its like pieces to a puzzle, on one hand, sheik, the fast, crazy comboer. On the other, Zelda, slower, but also known as the princess of KO's. Of course switching isn't the most practical thing in brawl. Its long, and your vulnerable, so you can only use it at ideal times.

Imagine for a second if the transform time was as fast as it was in melee.....
Now you not talking about well rounded character pair, but a GREAT one.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Lol, Gimpy and Ankoku were pretty much the only ones talking about Sheik in this thread:)

I really don't see why there is so much fuss about sheiks ko power. I main Sheik but I do play Zelda alone as my secondary, so I will switch to Zelda for the kill. However, edgegaurding with Sheik is a breeze. She ***** the Spacies off the stage(Falco and Wolf especially), Olimar, marth, and others. Her grab release stuff imo will also give her more ko options as more and more of that stuff is implemented into her metagame in the future.

If it gets to the point where you just cannot get the kill on your opponent then by all means transform, I just don't think it's that big of an issue. The Sheik/Zelda combo is great against the high tier characters however. I agree that it is a necessity to use Zelda against MK, GW, DDD, Snake; because of Zelda I actually think sheik performs decent against these characters. If they ever do rank Sheik/Zelda together on the tier list, I could see them breaking into the bottom of high tier and i'm dead serious.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
This was actually fairly informative, considering I second Sheik (still waiting on the Luigi discussion back room >_<). Point being, Sheik can gimp like no other, besides MK, but still, she poses a lot more of a threat than most people think. The chain is too good at stealing the edge, it really is. Sheik is just plain FUN as well. Too bad there were only 2 constructive posters :D

Eazy23

Smash Lord
Wow you guys do not know. I basically dropped all of my hopes of liking brawl competitively until I recently started playing sheik.

Just moving with her is so meleesque and I love it. Im training hardcore and am def taking her out in tourny very soon.

Myself, m2k, and spammer were debating this so Gimpy what do you think. Does marth beat sheik in brawl?
I find it to be a difficult matchup when the marth is aggressive and competent lol

Other than that, I see so much potential in this character, she really exemplifies what hope looks like.Brawl is saved, by sheik!

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
the main problem for sheiks growth is the all to common metaknight - not impossible but wow is it difficult lol
You probably know this already but for other ppl in this thread grab release boostsmash combos on Meta Knight. Undiminished that does 30% if you get both hits. 3 grab releases into upsmash in a row puts Meta Knight at 80%. 4 in a row puts him at 101%. Those are both with no grab attacks and with both hits of the upsmash. In training mode from the center of FD with a CPU set to Stop, Meta Knight dies at 85% from grab release boostsmash. If you manage to hit with only the tipper he can die at 80%, possibly lower with CPU set to Stop.

Of course, you can't grab release Meta on every stage to use this every time you get a grab but between platforms and on FD as well as the Pokemon Stadiums with the large gap between the platforms its pretty useful.

A2ZOMG said:
He's done decently well against some professional Snakes like Chu using Sheik.
To be fair, it was the first tournament Chu had gone to after a long period of "**** brawl."

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i use ice climbers to counter metaknight

but i figured something out

if a mk ever picks norfair to stage counter my ic's

i will go sheik

i'm practicing sheik's mobility on that stage with vanishes, chain, and those needle cancel of the platform things where you move faster. it's pretty fun

gimpy make a tech video of norfair please

and i'm sorry for calling you GimpyFish!!!

Gimpyfish i'm sorry!

wow i am kissing a$$

too good

Blad01

Smash Lord
Sheik is great, that's all :D

Seriously, i like her playstyle for sure.

Strong points :

• She has a very good running and moves speed
  • Ftilt lock on some chars
  • Pretty good aerial game : Nair, Bair, Fair. Uair and Dair aren't that great though...
  • She can gimp easily (tether)
  • His recovery is not that great, but is not bad neither. Also, she has two ways to recover, which helps.
  • Fair to DJ is a good approach in my opinion.
  • Good projectile.
  • A few "fair" match-ups against high characters (Marth, Falco, Fox)

Weak points :
  • Lack of killing move : Strong Bair, Usmash. And Vanish.
  • Light weight.
  • Lack of range.
  • Recovery easily gimpable
  • Throws are not that great...
  • Hard to have a good spacing

Overall, sheik is fragile, but has some good points. Transformation into Zelda could be a key, but it takes a while.

Sheik is not bottom tier, but she'is low for sure. At best, she could be low-mid...

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
The best part about switching to Zelda to get a KO is that you can switch back to a completely fresh Sheik when they come back at 0%... that is not a luxury most characters have.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
The best part about switching to Zelda isn't getting the KO...

It's telling all of my friends that I did.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
the best part about her is....well i dont know.

i guess she's okay. she has been nerfed from melee. her attacks arent as strong and she doesn't have the best aerial game. she does have a very strong ground game though. her up smash has a greater knockback, as well as her up special, which also has less landing lag. her short hop is much more effective. her forward tilt can be followed up by doing combos. her forward smash has more knockback. her needle move automatically stops after fully charged. it also charges faster and shoots much faster, although it is weaker. her chain isn't as free anymore, but you can tether with it(although you could in melee, but it was really hard).

sheik isnt a bad character, but she isnt a very good character like in melee.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
I heard from sonic the hedgedawg(sp?) that Zelda does well against mk (as well as one can do against mk). If mk is that impossible it could be reasonable to learn the Zelda vs. mk alone and let Sheik handle the rest. Can't just wait for the sheik vs. mk matchup to solve itself. Would the same work for ICs?

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
it takes skill to use Sheik well and its fun to play her i think
shes quick and you can really get on a roll with her

i think shes often overlooked just b/c she doesn't have reliable KO moves

psike

Smash Apprentice
Sheiks greatest assets are her locks, speed, and off stage abilities. On fast fallers, it is east to have them up to 80% within seconds of the game through the use of her jabs, chainlocks, and ftilts when used properly.

Her biggest weakness (other than her light weight and lack of reliable KO moves) is being punished. Her downsmash, sidesmash, and her upsmash can all be blocked and punished immediately upon a miss if predicted. Luckily, her oversmash is useful for spot dodgers, as the second hitbox usually starts right where they are upon finishing the dodge. Also, her downsmash is very fast and will usually connect if not sheilded precisely.

Sheik is still developing, and should see vast improvements in the uses of her dair, vanish, fair, and possibly her dtilt. Her dair is great on levels with platforms for mindgames. It can also be used offstage from a full hop if it is immediately cancelled and then second jumped and then vanished out of (this does not require a ledge grab either! she can reach the stage). I have not found many uses for this, however, as the knockback from a dair is straight up (unless you can connect with vanish for a stage spike). Her fair is great offstage for edge guarding against characters that have weak recovery. Last, her dtilt is a setup for numerous moves but require a deal of knowledge about character knockback to take full advandage of.

Overall, Sheik shines the most when used against fast fallers and characters with limited recovery. The best use of her, in my opinion, is in combination with Zelda. I find myself playing with Sheik only when characters are vulnerable to her locks or her speed. Usually, after landing a lock or two and getting an opponent to 80%+, I almost immediately look for an opportunity to change to Zelda and finish the job with a fresh smash or a lightning kick or a spike.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
sheik may not be such a good character right now, but later on people will unlock the potential she has. that is, if they find locked potential.

take bowser for instance. nobody liked him in melee, but Gimpy has managed to be good with him. same goes to mewtwo. one of the top 20 players in the world plays mewtwo, and he's the worst character in melee.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Sheik has no "hidden potential" or whatever, so you can go away now.

soap

Smash Hero
wtf brawl sheik on the melee boards? brawl sheik comboes are lame, melee sheik was infinitely times sexier

Top Bottom