• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Sheik

Exia 00

Smash Champion
The thought of kirby being better than mewtwo gives my palm the urge to connect with my face >_>

*facepalm*

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
oh yeah? prove it.

kirby is a slow potential-less piece of garbage - his recovery sucks he cant combo he cant ko he cant handle shield pressure he gets ***** by combos he dies at low percents his approaches and defenses are incredibly one dimensional and the only thing he actually CAN do is edge camp with swallow and hope his opponent is an idiot who constantly rushes him.

Deception

Smash Ace
kirby is a slow potential-less piece of garbage - his recovery sucks he cant combo he cant ko he cant handle shield pressure he gets ***** by combos he dies at low percents his approaches and defenses are incredibly one dimensional and the only thing he actually CAN do is edge camp with swallow and hope his opponent is an idiot who constantly rushes him.
I'm pretty sure Ness was the worse. You've said it yourself, if I'm not mistaken.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Nah, that's just part of the whole Simna/Gimpyfish rivalry. Kirby actually is the most terrible character in Melee.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
the only thing he actually CAN do is edge camp with swallow and hope his opponent is an idiot who constantly rushes him.
mewtwo can do that to with his side b, but it usually fails, so kirby is obviously better. everyone i face falls for that, but they're not very smart.

lets not talk about kirby anymore. this is a sheik thread.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Ok.

Sheik is fun to play as but has no "hidden potential to unlock."

We're done.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
she is fun to play. i never said she wasn't. but she isn't that good. her strongest attack is hard to land.

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
she is fun to play. i never said she wasn't. but she isn't that good. her strongest attack is hard to land.
Honestly, depending on matchup, the Usmash tipper is not that hard to land.

Against someone who can be Tilt-locked well (like Fox, especially), if they're near kill percentage, it's all but guaranteed. They have to DI towards you to escape, which just so happens to put them exactly where your tipper is. Forward tilt is a basically guaranteed kill on Fox at like 80%, because you'll get two Tilts in, then he'll be in a perfect spot for the tipper, which will kill him at that percent.

Against some characters, mainly Wario, a grab release is a guaranteed tipper if you can DACUS.

Additionally, DACUS and hyphen smashes make hitting someone landing with a tipper fairly easy, and hitting with the side hit isn't a ton weaker. Vanish also makes a decent kill move, and can be used fairly well with prediction.

And a fresh nair's strong hit will kill mario from the center of final D at 150%. Against someone near the edge of the stage, this can be as low as 130%, which really isn't all that bad.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
her needles can be used as an edgeguard if you jump up and shoot them down at someone, except you have to keep doing it.

Squidster

Smash Ace
Not so much they can just SDI up and up b again

Its only a kill if you steal their second jump then edgehog or something or you hit pit out of his wings

Its still useful to hit people with needles though. Can set up for an edgeguard, pressure them at the edge, free dmg if you're not going to get the edgeguard otherwise, and its annoing =D

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
They're still not a projectile you should spend more than a post talking about.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
fine. lets talk about her chain. it doesn't move as freely as in melee, but it's easier to tether with.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
I found a new technique. Sheik can keep using her Uair on someone. No wait. That was in Melee.

I will discover a new Sheik technique. I know it.

Eazy23

Smash Lord
Sheik is VERY good. I think people have forgotten that some characters actually take time, practice, and skill. Sheik, in brawl, takes just that. You are not pickin up a **** a$$ char by maining sheik, but with effort you will develope a tourny viable and overall fun one to play.

I am in the process of retraining myself and its very difficult. Going down the list and having to learn matchup after matchup is tough. I have the marth matchup pretty much down. I am getting much better vs falco. I'm having alot of trouble with rob and lucario, gimpy any advice?

Also if there are any other odd but difficult matchups please let me know. I'd rather find out now, make spammer help me with the matchup, instead of being surprised at tourny.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
Sheik is VERY good. I think people have forgotten that some characters actually take time, practice, and skill. Sheik, in brawl, takes just that. You are not pickin up a **** a$$ char by maining sheik, but with effort you will develope a tourny viable and overall fun one to play.
Are you implying that CF can **** *** if I train with him very hard?

Eazy23

Smash Lord
Um...No. I'm saying that sheik is not auto **** like meta snake etc. She is however, a good well rounded character. My only implication is that with the simplicity of brawl, people have forgotten that a character not being complete **** with no effort doesn't keep them from ever being considered good.

I obviously mentioned sheik, so why would you assume it applies to everyone? Its not like I said with hard work and practice you can be good with ANYONE.

Eazy23

Smash Lord
lol yea, SOME. Some don't like meta and snake. Sheik however takes time and practice to use properly and effectively. Falcon is just bad:(.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
She isn't very good.

She isn't garbage though.
After reading that for some reason I recall you saying at one point "sheik isn't good" which immediately made me smile as it looks like you change your mind to "isn't very good"

^-^ Hopefully we can change that to "is good" with enough time.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Kirby has worse matchups and suffers in tournament from not being able to do nearly as many useful things in the matchups against high tiers.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Neat, so I wasn't alone in thinking Kirby was the worst character in melee.

I never really voice my opinion on this matter because back then it was only Kirby but yeah Kirby did suck. I mean when I went out and started to look for the best videos of every character in melee I found a extremely lacking of good quality Kirby videos when compared to the rest of the cast. I even went to the Kirby forum once and ask for good videos and still didn't find anything impressive especially if I compared them to someone like Taj or Gimpy.

I think the only reason Kirby was so high on the melee tier was more in part of his popularity then his abilities

...and now I wonder how on earth did we started talking about the SSBM Kirby in the Sheik Weekly Character Discussion.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
"So high?" I thought he was listed as fourth from the bottom, or something.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
it can easily be argued because pichu had speed and a not horrendously easy to edgeguard recovery and a not incredibly one dimensional stagnant gameplay while still koing at the same percents if not lower than kirby does

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
<3 forward-tilt lock ^_^

I plan to abuse it at a scrub event this weekend. I guarantee it'll be banned at the following tournament. For the one this weekend, they are banning Dedede's Ike-killer technique (Dedede does neutral-B while Ike does forward-B). Scrubs are funny.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You should try to get them to ban sillier and sillier things each week.

Sheik ftilt lock
Zelda dtilt lock
Lucario Force Palm chaingrab
Ike forward smash
Turnaround Falcon Punch

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
LOL @ Ike forward smash

I was tempted to use Ike, but there will be a few competent players there, and we have to use the same character throughout the whole tournament. T_T

Top Bottom