• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Sheik

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Think of this as a reward to Ankoku for being so helpful in all of these threads XD

I'm also curious as to whether people refer to Sheik as a he or she in this, seeing as how the games always refer to "it" as "he" ^_^

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
I look forward to reading some on Sheik, but I'll say a few things real quick. First of all, I think she is amazing in teams. Her dash attack, running upsmash, and overall speed help her dart into a chaotic situation and dish out tons of damage. When you and a partner are trying to edgeguard someone, if the person on stage can handle it, Sheik can hang onto the ledge and use her tether + bair to keep the opponent at bay. She goes well with characters like Snake & DK who are great stock tankers and can finish off the opponent after Sheik deals a ton of damage.

I think it'd be neat to see a Sheik/Zelda team sometime.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
It is much more difficult to evaluate Sheik in Brawl than it was in Melee. For one thing, her down-B is actually good this time. ;)

What's sad is that Sheik lost many of her top tier qualities (like, in Melee, she could stop a full Samus blast with one needle... yeah, that was stupid). Still, she's quick, excellent off the edge, and fast enough to keep up with the likes of Meta Knight.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
It is much more difficult to evaluate Sheik in Brawl than it was in Melee. For one thing, her down-B is actually good this time. ;)

What's sad is that Sheik lost many of her top tier qualities (like, in Melee, she could stop a full Samus blast with one needle... yeah, that was stupid). Still, she's quick, excellent off the edge, and fast enough to keep up with the likes of Meta Knight.
Like OS said about Falcon, it really wasn't her moveset that was gimped; it's the lack of hitstun, the auto-snap edges, and a little loss in power that makes her worse.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
The dojo refers to Sheik as "she," and she also has breasts in this game. Even if they're small.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
She's far worse than she was in Melee, but there's still some potential left. She can easily rack up damage, especially to heavy characters, but finishing them off can be really difficult without switching to Zelda. I like to go for grab to upthrow a lot, it usually sets up for something that continues the damaging process. Getting a grab in is really easy since people are usually left with little else than blocking when Sheik's in their face. ^^ Not a character I would whip out in a tournament though, she's too inconsistent IMO.

Sheik is Zelda disguised as a man to fool Ganondorf, as anyone who has played Ocarina of Time can tell you. It's a she.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
i still think its far more beneficial to do your thing with shiek, knock them away around 100+%, switch to zelda and usmash

KishSquared

Smash Master
I think that a pro Sheik player would readily switch to Zelda. Not only does it give her some powerful finishing moves, but it also wipes out her own stale moves.

Sheik is an EXCELLENT counter to DDD, which is absolutely necessary when you play Bowser XD I honestly don't that she has much weakness other than that she can't get a kill, but she can switch to Zelda which solves that problem. Needles give her a great spam game too.

(By the way, she doesn't do well against Bowser because he can fortress out of her f-tilt lock, dealing massive damage in the process).

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Sheik/Zelda works extremely well as one character in Brawl. Almost all of Zelda's tilts and aerials are finishers, and almost all of Sheik's are great for racking up damage. Her up B and usmash are both really good finishers.

Her ftilt is annoying as hell, coming from a Wolf main. I can be trapped in it until I'm KO'd by an usmash.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I still want to see how the two characters stack up individually, but I would be very interested in seeing a Zelda/Sheik combo placement in the tier list since it makes sense to actually switch between the two now.

KishSquared

Smash Master
That's not a bad idea. In Melee there was little reason to do so, but they complement each other much better in this game. I think this is what they intended Sheik to be in Melee, but they screwed up :)

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I'm a Zelda main in Brawl, and I love being able to switch. Oftentimes, my opponent will have me cornered in terms of deflecting all my approaches; I become frustrated and switch. Suddenly, I have many more options, and I can overwhelm my opponent. ^_^

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
yayyyyy i cant wait to write a bunch of stuff on this one haha

sheik has all the tools required she is just incredibly difficult and a little bit lax in KO power - zelda helps a bit i guess haha but this discussion is sheik isn't it? The Zelda discussion was for Zelda and not Zelda/Sheik so shouldn't the Sheik discussion be for Sheik and not Zelda/Sheik as well?

good range for spacing a solid projectile to force approaches the ability to semi-combo the ability to semi-edgeguard the ability to FAIRLY consistently gimp KO most characters...

Sheik is a Melee character stuck in a silly Brawl world haha

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Think of this as a reward to Ankoku for being so helpful in all of these threads XD

I'm also curious as to whether people refer to Sheik as a he or she in this, seeing as how the games always refer to "it" as "he" ^_^
It's reward enough that you didn't spell it "Shiek."

I'm gonna go eat dinner now.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
yayyyyy i cant wait to write a bunch of stuff on this one haha

sheik has all the tools required she is just incredibly difficult and a little bit lax in KO power - zelda helps a bit i guess haha but this discussion is sheik isn't it? The Zelda discussion was for Zelda and not Zelda/Sheik so shouldn't the Sheik discussion be for Sheik and not Zelda/Sheik as well?

good range for spacing a solid projectile to force approaches the ability to semi-combo the ability to semi-edgeguard the ability to FAIRLY consistently gimp KO most characters...

Sheik is a Melee character stuck in a silly Brawl world haha
Zelda = Sheik. We cannot help but talk about both in both topics. They are intrinsically connected. They are spiritually bonded. They are ONE!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Zelda = Sheik. We cannot help but talk about both in both topics. They are intrinsically connected. They are spiritually bonded. They are ONE!
That just gave this topic +10 to lameness :(

Gimpy, quick, fix it! Tell us how Sheik can gimp characters.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I meant how, exactly, Ankoku. I know those can do it. Are there any vids that show these gimps? Against whom?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Against anyone with not-good recovery. I dunno, you can just watch Gimpyfish's video or something.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX65n-h8JFk

That seems to cover it pretty well.

Here's my report since I've been playing this character long enough anyway.

Ground Movement
Sheik is really fast and stuff. Like, faster than most of the cast. The only characters faster than her are Sonic (duh), Captain Falcon (duh), and Zero Suit Samus (only by a slightly noticeable amount on Bridge of Eldin, apparently).

Aerial Movement
Remember how in Melee Sheik ran really fast but her horizontal aerial movement SUCKED? Yeah... On the bright side they gave her an actual short hop this time.

Power
lol

Ok seriously. Sheik's usmash is pretty good. And uhh...

Well if you can't edgeguard you're pretty much ****ed, so use Down+B when they need to die.

Priority
Decent. Sheik's normal attacks aren't disjointed in any way, so she's not about to outright beat out anything, but she tends to trade a lot, and with the speed of her attacks and movement she can just weave in and out of range and attack when she's not in danger of getting hit back.

Attack Speed
It's somewhere around the level of "slower than Meta Knight." But here's a few examples of what frames her attacks hit on:
Jab - 2
Ftilt - 4
Dsmash - 5
Nair - 2
Bair - 4
Fair - 5

Follow-ups
fair leads into ftilt. ftilt leads into ftilt leads into ftilt leads... ...into ftilt leads into utilt or usmash. Can also do some really mean juggle pressure off of her throws because it's not very beneficial to airdodge against her aerials.

Offense
Sheik runs fast, has quick aerials, has a fast dash attack, has fast tilts, and is a ninja. If she also had disjointed priority and gimpy knockback trajectories, she could be called Meta Knight, but she doesn't so she's called Sheik. Unfortunately, this actually does matter quite a bit.

Defense
Sheik also has needles that don't clash with anything and a chain. Punishing from shield with an ftilt is mean. Her dsmash and aerials, being fast, are all very much applicable as a punishment from shield as well. Pretty much if you land in range of Sheik a.k.a. don't space well you're guaranteed to be punished in either a big way or sent off-stage. Sheik has trouble defending against properly spaced disjointed attacks like a (smart) Marth's walling, Mr. Game & Watch's bair, and Meta Knight's whatever he feels like pressuring your shield with.

Recovery
Sheik's Side+B tether has a deceptively long range given the normal range of the attack. It also grapples to the ledge extremely quickly. Of course, being a tether, it's also very vulnerable to edgehogging and since you pull your normal chain when edgehogged, you have pretty much no chance of recovering if you use it on accident and get the not-a-tether chain. Sheik's Up+B Vanish deals like 16% damage and can KO people at a decent %. It also has wind upon reappear, which can stop charged smashes from punishing you immediately. This is kind of a good thing considering Sheik can no longer sweetspot the ledge with Vanish. They have reduced the landing lag she had from Melee, though, so it's no longer an automatic "go back off-stage" when you're forced to recover to the stage. Random tidbit: If you force Sheik to just barely recover to the stage's edge on Yoshi's Island (Brawl), she'll actually slide off the corner and, if you continue to edgehog, fall to her death.

Oh yeah and she can wallcling. But that's not very important because Brawl is glitchy as **** about that.

Conclusion
Sheik is a ninja, that's why you pick her black color. Ninjas are cool. See, there's this stage in Brawl called Pirate Ship but a lot of tournaments ban that stage and there aren't any pirates in the character roster. You know why? Because SHEIK IS IN BRAWL. Truefax. Also ftilt lock is gay and I feel a rush of endorphins whenever I catch Meta Knight in one.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
sheik can gimp most characters with stage spikes with any amount of precision also - her edge game is wonderful...

Sheik has weak but extremely effective airs - when you look at that at first it looks bleh-ish but when you really look at it you see that weak airs are perfect in a game like brawl for gimping. Everyone can live forever in this silly game - unless you hit them low - and low knockback airs like sheiks fair also happen to launch at a low trajectory - which is just wonderful.

There is a problem sheik has with gimps and his name is metaknight (a few others perhaps but mostly him) - not only does metaknight have pretty much everything sheik has but better - he also basically cannot be edgeguarded effectively...

meh - sheik is so fun lol

since nobody has posted i'd like to add this...

I think Sheik is a character that has enough going for her to the point where you'll see some placing very well - if somebody gets the metaknight match up down and has enough patience you should be able to use her to great effect - but it's extremely hit or miss. There will NOT be SEVERAL good sheik's. I just can't see that happening. I've said it before and I'll say it again - Sheik has all the tools you need - it's just the implementation of those tools that is more difficult. Sheik is a character that requires supreme precision IMO.

Plus she's a ninja.

It's too bad the real Bowser didn't make it into Brawl - if he did I'd be maining him obviously - but I do enjoy Sheik now that I play as her because he isn't in.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Does anyone know what's up with Shiek's up B stopping people? Like...I was hit once at about 170% from her up-B and I was stopped midair right where she appeared. I guess it pushes you back sort of when she appears again kind of like GW;s uair pushes people, except it stops all momentum or something >_>.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Think of it as a sudden shifting of all the air to accommodate someone suddenly materializing. It's enough force to completely stop the momentum of getting hit by the Vanish, as well as doing other things like pushing people away and doing silly momentum tricks with the reverse Falcon Punch.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
also due to the actual legit hitstun the move has occasionally you just cant recover at all because you are so confused at the fact that you cant move immediately like you can out of every other move in brawl and the fact that the wind push has canceled all of your "should-be-upwards" momentum.

VilNess

Smash Champion
90% change i´m gonna main sheik(and Zelda) in the first Finnish brawl tourney.
An yea, it´s difficult to talk of sheik without Zelda. I really think both characters need to be mastered if you are going to play one of them, especially sheik. UpB and Usmash are hard to connect when your enemy starts looking out for them.

I really like sheiks needles, they still rack a lot of damage and the aerial needles have gimping properties even tho they have landing lag.

Meta was the hardest one I´ve played against. Luckily meta is light and dies up easily so either knock him away and transform or save that usmash sweetspot and try to find an opening, like DACUS after missed mach tornado or somthing... Metaknights definetly is hard.

Fleur de Lis

Smash Lord
A few of us in my DE crew play Sheik/Zelda. Our theory on this matter is that, unlike Melee, they are not separate characters. What I mean is: in Melee you either played Sheik or you played Zelda. In Brawl, we all think it's silly here to stick to one or the other, as they have such glaring strengths and weaknesses that complement one another.

I'll talk generally and narrow down what's good about her.

I believe the best way to play this character is, for the most part, Sheik with a side of Zelda. Sheik is so fast that you should be using her to get all the damage. However, because of the time it takes to switch, you have to be really smart about it. I have two approaches, both involve the other person being very far away. Obviously, you can hit them and if they don't die you can, instead of going for an edgeguard, try and switch to Zelda. One of the most fantastic parts of this is that switching to Zelda acts as like...a tractor beam for players. It's incredibly mindgamey. Especially because when you switch, that little aura around her disappears after you regain control of your character. So if they don't know the timing, they'll run up to you and try and hit you with a smash that will hit your shield, if you distance your character enough to begin with.
What's generally more viable is switching when YOU get hit. When I'm high above the stage or far away, I like switching to Zelda. I like her recovery a little more, and it's a lot harder to time the attack if you're in the air. And of course, you can always switch when you come back after dying.

Well, I haven't talked much about sheik. I think, however, it's much more important to learn how to first switch between the characters without getting punished.

What's specifically good about Sheik is her grab game, tilts and aerials. Armor frames on the grab are so useful for Sheik. I grab through attacks very often, and it really disrupts your opponent's ability to time their attacks. If they start spot dodging, there's always the usmash.

I like her bair more than her fair now, and also her uair. Recovering is a *****, a smart opponent will always fool you into using the tether right when they get the edgehog, which is death. Unless you know it's gonna hit, I would go for the vanish despite it's suckiness.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
tether *****. get used to the timing and when/where they can get you from. Sheik might not have the BEST recovery - but it's not SO bad. Best thing about tether is you dont have to wait for your ledge invincibility to vanish before you ledgehop - also tether edgehogs are amazing (obviously) and sheik can do them w/o really being too worried about getting killed because she has other recovery options.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Sheik and Zelda are both viable on their own, though not nearly as much as together. However, the fact remains that playing Sheik/Zelda team will make you as good as whichever character you're worse with, so if you intend to take full advantage of Transform, better practice up on both characters. Otherwise it will actually end up holding you back.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
I couldn't agree with you more on that one - seems some Sheik's assume since Zelda has good KO power they can just transform and throw out moves until they land. Well - that's just going to get you lots of damage and put you into the negative... You have to know how to use Zelda really well for the transform to work effectively.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
This character has one of the few legitimate chain throws in the game, although its rather hard to land and easy to punish if not used correctly.
SamuraiPanda finally directed me to those hints, but I don't get the one for Sheik. Who can she chainthrow?

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Wow, how did I not see that. I guess that just shows how crappy throwing the chain is. The hint is really obvious if you're not a cheap ******* like me who can only think of chaining throws anymore. =[

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
ftilt sure does **** - but sheik has a LOT more...

ftilt is a summary of the earliest sheik game - a combination of ftilt dtilt and jab cancel mixups is great for shield pressure - and sheik is fast enough to grab most characters if they decide to roll away from the pressure with her grab or dash attack if she cant get there quick enough on a grab.

back air is a huge part of sheik too - the spacing is wonderful on that move. Fade away neutral out of shield is also too good.

Neutral overall is a great move - the weak hit of it sets up for an easy dsmash at most percents where a dsmash is useful and is gonna knock them off into position to be edgeguarded (it's not gonna be getting a lot of kills lets be honest here)...

I think one of the other things Sheik really has going for her is her zoning game when an opponent is on the edge (basically anyone but metaknight) but it's ESPECIALLY good against snake... stand at the right spot and back airs will keep him at bay and simple grabs or more tilts will discourage the roll... It's really good.

I feel like not a lot of people are really discussing much here lol

D

Deleted member

I think sheik gets ***** by standing in place and doing good moves.

Top Bottom