• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

Timbers

check me out
It's all personal preference. Wario doesn't really need to uptilt, so you can keep it on if you'd like. It personally messed me up a lot and I end up wasting jumps, but that's also b/c I'm so accustomed to Tap Jump OFF.
Utilts are really easy to do with tap on lol.

It's all personal preference. Tap on allows you to use cstick aerials oos much more effectively, and you have more control over your aerials during double jumps and such. I don't really know what tap off has but I guess it works for you.
people put tap jump off if they were bad at melee
slikvik is that cool guy that chilled in the back of the school bus smoking grits and hella pimpin the high school ladies.
♣ Or they want to use Wario's Up Air without the worry of random jumping. If you play a different control that's not GameCube then you might have to turn it off like the Classic Controller. ♥
c-stick upair is cool too.

RATED

Smash Lord
hi, I 2nd wario , my mains are ddd and snake ,I use wario for some stages like Rainbowcruise or Norfair

I have 2 questions:

1. what's the best momentu cancelling move for wario?

2. How Wario do against Olimar?

slikvik

Smash Master
**** MD/VA. I have no region. no really...
hi, I 2nd wario , my mains are ddd and snake ,I use wario for some stages like Rainbowcruise or Norfair

I have 2 questions:

1. what's the best momentu cancelling move for wario?

2. How Wario do against Olimar?
1. dair...also if you're being sent a far distance by an attack that you know you probably cannot survive with normal DI/momentum cancelling, airdodge and then use your bike asap. bike has momentum slowing properties

2. wario does fine, just keep up the pressure offensively while not getting grabbed

RATED

Smash Lord
1. dair...also if you're being sent a far distance by an attack that you know you probably cannot survive with normal DI/momentum cancelling, airdodge and then use your bike asap. bike has momentum slowing properties

2. wario does fine, just keep up the pressure offensively while not getting grabbed
thanks a lot.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
K, I used to be good with grabs, but now with the bite, people are going more aerial. I can get a lot more bites when they are aerial, but i can never grab them, even when i know they're open. Wario is just too slow on the ground. Are there any easy grab set ups? Like Jab -> grab, FH Dair -> Grab, fair to grab and stuff like that. Or any mindgames to get them to grab you? Like make them hit your shield to be in range, but i unno if that would work. Just askin. i want my wario betta.

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
I usually just shield grab in place of fsmash out of shield sometimes, dair to grab is definitely there too. Sometimes you can chomp to grab but I'm pretty sure it isn't a true combo on any character. I'm not sure, you should grab when you can for the free pummel refresh and extra damage, just throwing it out there as a mixup.

DMK.

Smash Journeyman
Is it worth maining Wario in a tournament where the most threatening players play Snake, Falco, Marth and Ness? It seems to me that Wario has an disadvantage against all but the last one. Or should I just suck it up, get *****, and try to improve for next time?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Wario beats all of those characters but Marth IMO. However, you have to play pretty gay sometimes to get the win.

If Wario isn't your natural main, go ahead and use another character for tournaments. It's hard, this late into the metagame, to pick him up and try to do well with him. However if you have practiced with him for awhile, you can try to stick with him and try to improve, but it won't be easy.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Q: Why does Zelda not like Wario?

A: Because he breaks her wind! lololol

But ok, enough nonsensical crap. Just wondering - how does Wario deal with lingering hitboxes, like the kind from Zelda's Usmash and Lucario's stuff? Is he perfectly fine just moving through them or does he prefer to back off and punish?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
He can do both, depends on where he is positioned/how far along the move is.

stnapknah

Smash Journeyman
ff nair to combo/follow up
don't fastfall it when you are retreating OOS or something, so the 2nd hitbox gets anyone who tries to chase you

FattyFatFatso

Smash Apprentice
FF nair is almost lagless so its useful. Sometimes it's nice to change it up though. I still haven't gotten it down so when I approach Nair the lingering hitbox stays out so long that people drop their shield and get hit by it anyway. If you keep fast falling higher level players will begin to pick up on your patterns. Just mix it up.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
I've been finding that sometimes when I get grab-released I don't go into the air. Is there a way to make this happen consistently?

Also, does anybody have tips for fighting Diddy/D3 on FD? That seems to be my biggest counter-matchup so far.

slikvik

Smash Master
**** MD/VA. I have no region. no really...
I've been finding that sometimes when I get grab-released I don't go into the air. Is there a way to make this happen consistently?

Also, does anybody have tips for fighting Diddy/D3 on FD? That seems to be my biggest counter-matchup so far.
lol you play brawl now?

It can only happen if the opponent chooses to pummel you and you break out during the pummel

I'm not good at explaining match-ups in detail so I'll let someone else handle that

Popertop

Smash Champion
diddy is easy you just need to learn banana game.
just find a good Diddy player and play with them over and over until you learn.

D3 I can't help you with.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Also it will happen if you don't mash up/jump etc when a character without grab release grabs you (those that don't dangle you in the air).

Diddy on FD isn't too bad if you work on your banana game and are patient and DI correctly (you'll live forever). D3 on FD is gay, just pick another character, it's not worth the trouble.

FattyFatFatso

Smash Apprentice
If you want Diddy practice, find Gnes and play him. His Diddy made me cry. But I did beat it on FD once. Jump over bananas and if you grab one, throw it behind you. Better than throwing it off stage and letting him pull out another one in my opinion.

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
Does Wario own his own amusement park?

Is the best way to approach an opponent to jumpt towards them, or is their a better way, or should you mix it up?

Is it true that Wario installed all of the speed cameras in Swindon and then, feeling guilty, reprogrammed them so now they take your photo when you go through Swindon know named the most fun town in the UK?

What would you say are Wario's five best moves?

If Wario's bike can go at 217mph, and it gets less than 5 miles to the gallon, If he travels at the maximum speed in 47 minutes, where did he start?

FattyFatFatso

Smash Apprentice
Hahaha more questions. What inputs do you guys do to break out of grabs quickly? I have spoken to KOSMOS who breaks out ungodly fast but he wont tell me. My friend Shade who breaks out just as quickly says he spins both control stick and c-stick counter-clockwise right before he gets grabbed. Any other personal breaks?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I spin control stick, Tap Cstick different directions (you have to tap it one direction at a time and reset it to neutral, you cannot circle around with it fast like on the control stick), Mash all L/R/Z, and depending on how bad I want to get out, I will sometimes use other fingers to hit A and B.

Kosmos probably does the same thing as me, same for other people who get out fast. I think the biggest difference is when you start. For example, usually when I get out super fast, I KNOW before I get grabbed, that I have been grabbed, and start mashing/moving RIGHT then. A lot of other people I know get grabbed, realize they have been grabbed, and then start after a bit of delay. For the people that break out faster, they usually are mashing right when they get grabbed/even beforehand.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
We can't beat those Infinites, but they rely on pummels, which give us a chance to escape, and you also have to hope your grab doesn't happen under a platform, or on a stage that moves or transforms.

Pretty much everyone that has a grab release on us has one of these... and they're pretty old.

P.S. 3rd best character even with all this ******ry against us is a pretty big break... but that's just my opinion of course.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Can Ganon grab release > take a step > grab > grab release to the edge, then dair you guys? If so, are you able to DI to survive?

I saw it in a Japanese video showing Ganon being broken with items, and I couldn't help but believe it's not possible.... or if it is, my small amount of testing couldn't get it to work.

So I'll ask you guys to see if you know. :p Not sure why you'd' tell me, besides out of the kindness of helping me beat Anti's Wario -_-

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
You can do it... but I'm pretty sure once you do it once the Wario player will have no qualms CGing you from 0 - 90, lol. It's a pretty small window, though.

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
What are wario's bad matchups? Based on a quick glance at the stickied threads his only bad matches are DDD, Marth, and Luigi, but it seems like there are probably more.

EDIT: I'm specifically skeptical about G&W and ZSS being neutral, and not 4:6

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Learn what you're doing and they're even. Hell, I still firmly believe we have advantage over ZSS, but Snakeee is cool, so I conceded with even :p

Also, Luigi is even if not our advantage. There's D3 as our hardest. Then Marth and MK are probably slight advantage for them... maybe Sheik (though I don't believe this either).

Top Bottom