• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
If they are level, then no, the GW outranges a ****load of stuff. However, you can hit him with upangled ftilt before the bair reaches your hurtbox.

If you want my honest opinion though, just jump into the bair, SDI out really fast, and then **** the GW.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
shaslam sucks at wario :p

how do you punish mk? I am a diddy main, and i just punish his tornado with bananas after i shield it, have a fast up air, and good range on fair.

But with wario it's completely different. Bair has bad start up lag, meta's fair beats wario's, dair only works when punishing one of mk's laggy moves, and it is hard to get under metaknight without him spamming dair on you. I can't get bites in, and the only time i consistently do damge to mk is Nair OoS. Farts are hard to land.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Does Wario lose speed when changing into the opposite direction during his aerial movement? I feel he's a lot more mobile in the air in comparison when I prove Jigglypuff.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
yd is sooo ghey

oh

phloat.

i stay in the alabama thread lol

i rarely come out of it to socialize with non alabamians

GemN

Smash Cadet
Well, sorry if this is answered somewhere else but I can't find it anywhere.

When trying to survive a potential KO move, would it be better to momentum cancel/DI or to bike cancel by airdodging and then pulling out the bike?

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
on the note of bike canceling, has that actually been proven? I feel like i've done it many times but i rarely see the actual effects. I just wanted to make sure no one decided to state it as fact just because they had a hunch it helped.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Vertical, Momentum canceling is the best.

Horizontally, I'd try Fair to DJ Airdodge, or Airdodge to DJ Airdodge. I've noticed Snake players living forever doing that.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
I haven't seen "bike canceling" help either, tbh. I just cstick dair to DJ.

Airdodging does absolutely nothing to alter momentum, DMG :\

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Heyo, new Wario here

I've been tryin out some techniques with Bite pseudo suicides at times (never in tourney atm, too risky) where I ledge hop bite which then releases them under the stage. Sometimes the opponents recovery is too good and the shrug it off, sometimes they purposely not break out to kill both of us - or just me in that situation sometimes, and sometimes I accidentally nair since it buffers it when mashing A to east them, or I press it one too many times - and the nair will kill me without enough time to pull out the bike.

Is this even useful at all in any situations, or is it just a lost cause.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
No, it doesn't help at all, the only reason it "works" for Snake is b/c he's a fatass... it's already been tested, Bobby, don't make me dickslap you.

Biting is useful offstage if you have a stock up or a big percent difference, mostly on people with subpar recoveries.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I am telling you PX, it works. And it works for Snake more because his airdodge ends sooner than ours.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
Vertical: FF+Aerial
Horizontal: Air dodge > DJ/FF/side b

There might be times where ff+fair/dair is better like for high angle knock backs, but I'm not too sure. I'm also not too sure if side b does anything to reduce momentum. I don't know Wario very well.

Aerials and air dodging do nothing to reduce momentum, but they do allow you to use your momentum reducing actions earlier which are ff, dj, and certain specials. Wario's air dodge, which is the same as Snake's, ends 10 frames faster than his fair/dair, that's why it's the best choice for him.

http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=4377

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Oh yes I didn't clarify that much did I :(

When I said it worked, I meant it worked towards allowing you to use other momentum canceling options sooner. There are a lot of times though where the distance Wario is sent is too short for airdodging to have any noticeable inpact on how soon he can cancel his momentum through other means.

Also, I don't think his airdodge ends 10 frames sooner than his Fair/Dair (I've noticed that they all take around the same time to end from a short hop and from a full hop), I think the reason it ends sooner is because characters are allowed to airdodge during hitstun sooner than they can attempt to use an aerial, probably by around 10 frames or so.

Nvm actually read the blog post, I was right you can airdodge a few frames before you can activate an aerial from hitstun, 12 frames to be exact apparently.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I meant his air dodge ends 10 frames faster out of hit stun than using an aerial. And you're right, air dodge and fair/dair do last about the same amount of time. Air dodge is 39 and fair/dair is 37.
Yep ur one smart Pika :)

Semifer

Smash Journeyman
Heyo, new Wario here

I've been tryin out some techniques with Bite pseudo suicides at times (never in tourney atm, too risky) where I ledge hop bite which then releases them under the stage. Sometimes the opponents recovery is too good and the shrug it off, sometimes they purposely not break out to kill both of us - or just me in that situation sometimes, and sometimes I accidentally nair since it buffers it when mashing A to east them, or I press it one too many times - and the nair will kill me without enough time to pull out the bike.

Is this even useful at all in any situations, or is it just a lost cause.
@The Problem with Nair:
Just don't bite pummel with A, use B and hold to the Side while mashing it, and you will recover as soon as possible after the bite.

stnapknah

Smash Journeyman
bike breaking only works when you are hit from the left side of the stage to the right blastline by an attack that doesn't send you flying too fast, but would still manage to kill you. that gives you enough time to air dodge and bike, and it will cancel your momentum early enough that you can survive. Other than that, I just use dair and DI towards the corners.

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
I want to suggest another option for killing with bite. I have been recently throwing opponents off the stage and doing a full hop reverse bite. It will either throw the opponent under/at the stage or kill both of you. I sometimes wait until I have a full waft just for insurance on recovering/gimping a recovering opponent.

Obviously you wouldn't do this at times when you have a % lead, but when you have a full stock lead or you are a considerable percent behind.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
What's the best way to deal with a very smart MK that just constantly spaces fair out of your range? I've got tricks down for MKs that live on the ledge and spam nado, but I'm having trouble with fair spammers (and a little f and dtilt spacers but thats to a much lesser degree). So far I've been working on just air dodging through them, as normally Wario's aerial momentum can get him through the fair wall in time, then punish accordingly. Am I doing it correctly?

Neo X

Smash Apprentice
How is Luigi at the C-Tier? ppl like BigLou & Scatt are way too hard & beast-like with him O_o! But we're kinda even(i wish). Also i hope this is the right thread to post this question.

Popertop

Smash Champion
yeah you can either airdodge throught them and grab or maybe Dair I'm not sure though.

against Ftilt the only reliable thing to do is shield and hope you are close enough to grab.

if they Dtilt alot Wario's Ftilt competes or beats it at range, and Dtilt ties I think :/

Mk is gay though he can just play all defense and there's not much you can do

Sushi3

Smash Apprentice
Which is better,Wario's bite or Kirby's inhale? I'm leaning toward Kirby, since suiciding is much easier, and has more range. Although I see the bite used much more often than the inhale.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Bite can do more damage, less lag, less start up time, better eating animation on items, in doubles you can infinite characters between two bite's fairly easy, and he gains a few hurtbox advantages (His hurtbox shrinks a lot during bite).

Inhale is better range wise since it can suck up people from a greater distance, it's better overall for suiciding since you can sorta control when they get out, and Kirby can gain powers from inhale where as Wario cannot.

There are a few other small differences.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
i would argue that the sheer speed of the start up move makes it 3 times more useful. Also it makes it easier to gimp snake for this reason as well.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
I find trouble with Wario getting chomps, killing untial percentages like 120% if not landing a Waft and getting grabs. What can I do to make them easier?

V

Smash Ace
I have a question about the Dair-Dair-Uair combo. Do you jump between the Dairs? Do you short hop the first Dair? I can do one Dair to an Uair but I'm having trouble doing two Dairs to an Uair. Thanks for the help.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
SH dair to SH Dair to Fsmash works better for me depending on what % my opponent is at and how long Dair hits for. or Dair to Dair to grab. You can do Dair to Dair to Clap but on most characters it will not be close to guaranteed.

V

Smash Ace
So you're hitting the ground between Dairs?

So then the combo technically is...

Auto canceled Dair - Auto Cancelled Dair - F smash, grab, etc correct?

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
How to use the bite effectively?

Why the half-waft rather than the full-waft?

V

Smash Ace
How to use the bite effectively?

Why the half-waft rather than the full-waft?
Half waft has waaay more killing potential than a full waft does. Plus you're not glowing yet on a half waft, so unless your opponent knows when a half waft is best for a ko and is watching the timer, it can be unexpected. I actually don't like full waft at all. It sends you waaay up in the air. If it gets to the point that I have a full waft, I generally use it for recovery because it kicks the s*** out of the bike, although you should use your waft for killing and not recovery.

As for the bite, if you notice your opponent likes to shield/sidestep a lot, bite will tear right through that stuff. Either they're gonna catch on and quit shielding so much, or their gonna continue to get *****.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Plus you can keep the full waft forever, it makes sense they wouldn't want a character having a ridiculous kill move and be able to hold on to it as long as you like. I've killed with full waft plenty of times, only with the headbutt on the way up though it's so pathetically weak in the normal right next to wario "hitbox"

Top Bottom