• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] The Perth Power Rankings ~NEW UPDATE 23/09/10~ Version 5.2

Vlade

Social Outcast
Alzi does have a point, I haven't learnt jack**** from reading matchup threads on toon link vs falco and all of my knowledge on the matchup is from versing samuel every tournament. In these threads they never discuss what can and can't be punished which is something you have to learn on your own by playing these characters :(

For example short hop nairing a lot with falco because 80% of toon link's gameplay is shorthopped stuff.

You will still be able to know what's happening though if you study the matchup, it's just more difficult to apply it against Samuel. I think any crap on the boards about Toon Link vs Falco matchup is quite wrong imo (except for the thread I made about it).

Sieg

Smash Champion
My avy is Black Rock Shooter, from said song and soon to be anime <3.

Youtube it if you can't remember.

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
Getting 5th in a tournament of 10 ppl should carry equal weighting as getting 10th in a tournament of 20 people. Or shouldnt it? Tricky question.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Placing in the rankings should be more based on who you beat, btw.
Like, placing 5th out of 10 and only beating 'scrubs' is the same as getting 10th out of 20 and only beating scrubs.

cHeWe

Smash Apprentice
omg shaya wanna come over my haus when you come to perth

Also, the list is not only based on tournament results remember. There are other criteria involved which is why kane was put above Glen.
out of curiosity what did you guys use to decide besides tournament results? Everyone has said other things but no one has actually said what it was lol

Also i probably shouldnt be discusing this is this thread but i think it would be interesting if everyone in australia got together and made an australian brawl tier list. Not that i think its really needed just japan and brazil made their own. I think it would be interesting to see what ours woud look like in comparrision, would TL be higher then most lists?

Splice

Smash Hero
If we had a tier list that was based how well people play and know certain MUs, and also representation of character, I think Toon Link and GaW and Diddy Kong would be higher, Snake lower maybe and a few changes like that, but it wouldn't be too different, because we don't have enough representation of all characters... So characters like GaW that have (relative to size) more consistant rep than America in Australia would go up... And hardly any chars from S tier and A tier are that underrepped, we have at least one player for all those characters off the top of my head so...

Pretty much, very minor changes that aren't worth the effort of making, looking at, or taking into consideration lol :p

Except for Toon Link, Toon Link would go up by like 8-10 places imo.

ALSO! In regards to the other criteria besides tournaments, I take a guess that it's things like, if they(they=the panel) saw someone 3 stock someone else who was good a bunch of times in friendlies, they'd probably take that into consideration, and also a top 10 players knowledge of MU's which is seen when they play against lesser skilled players compared to the other top 10 players. I don't know for sure though.
~Sorry if that wasn't written well.

Toby.

Smash Master
Haha yes but you can't really tell people that we already have one, then show them something that isn't an actual tier list :p

Or maybe you can. What would a lowly pokemon trainer know about tier lists? I should be off catching me a ponyta ;P

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
I think what he's trying to say is that any tier list Australia could come up with would probably look like that as an end result. Except with maybe Marth about 5 spots lower. =P

Unless that's not what he was getting at and I'm a complete failure at getting the point.

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
I think Toby should drop trying to catch a Ponyta and instead focus on catching a Pidgeotto.

cHeWe

Smash Apprentice
Haha yes but you can't really tell people that we already have one, then show them something that isn't an actual tier list :p

Or maybe you can. What would a lowly pokemon trainer know about tier lists? I should be off catching me a ponyta ;P
**** ponyta go get a caterpie!!!!

lol at pretty much the same post

Alzi

Smash Master
He should be out catching shroomish. Shroomish is cool ok.

If Australia did have a actual tier list then it will just make other countrys lol @ us more.

How often are the Perth Power Rankings going to be updated anyway?

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
beat my solid snake, doo eeeet.

i also recognise yours Sieg, but i cant remember from where
lol it wouldnt be hard to beat that pic of snake, its not that great, and if I'm correct its also off metal gear acid, which as the name implies, is only a good game if your on acid at the time

Alzi

Smash Master
It woudn't be that hard to beat your avatar either Luke i mean it's you trying to be luigi. eww.

I was just about to post exactly what jupz said but yeah he beat me too it. Every Month would be good but there woudn't be much change only maybe 1 spot moved.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
wow, I'm usually the first person it think and say those kind of things and I totally missed it...
I'm getting old...

also alzi I think your making a few mistakes, I never asked anyone to beat my avatar, and I'm not trying to be luigi, I am luigi.

Jupz

Smash Master
Wow that picture is the biggest win i've ever seen in my life. I'm going to post it in the fan club along with the picture of mics numberplate.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
pretty good, but its missing the stache which is of course the most important thing of all

Sieg

Smash Champion
Actually I think that pic is from Portable Ops there, because the artwork is by Ashley Wood.

**** that guy is a legend with his art. I loved Portable Ops just for the art in that game.

MTGod

Smash Champion
Welcome to the new Perth Smash thread, everyone :p

How often are the Perth Power Rankings going to be updated anyway?
Every time the panel feels that it needs to be updated... There's no point in updating a list that will remain the same, much like there is no point in not updating a list that is definitely incorrect at the time :p

/stating the obvious :p

Cosplay burns my eyes parentheses angry face closed parentheses

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
Actually I think that pic is from Portable Ops there, because the artwork is by Ashley Wood.

**** that guy is a legend with his art. I loved Portable Ops just for the art in that game.
Yeah the art in that game was awesome. Too bad the gameplay was so bad that all it consisted of was me blitzing to the little red square at the end of every 'stage'.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Hey, it wasn't that bad lol.

I had fun with it.

And the story was good aswell. Good story makes a good game for me imo.

Bsrk_

Smash Ace
In reply to questions about criteria for making decisions regarding the PR_ First thing is obvious_ Player 1 must be able to consistently beat all people below them on the list_ Player 2 must be able to consistently beat everyone below them on the list but have a tougher time against player 1_ It all goes from there so i hope you get the jist_

Aside from taking into account tournament results, we also look at how often they win against players within the scene, overall displayed skill level (tournaments) and projected skill level_ If a player is deemed to have a high projected skill level in relevance to their displayed skill level then we obviously must discuss how the current list stands_

An example of this can be given with Rics current placing_ His projected skill level is higher than his displayed skill level and his overall results are volatile with inconsitency against players_ Vlade holds consistent matchup results and a solid overall displayed skill level in comparison to his projected skill level which imo is level with his displayed skill level_ Due to having more advantages overall, Vlade is awarded second place in the PR_ If Ric where to overcome one of his disadvantages then he would most likely rise above Vlade in the next list_ If players are even in most fields, then tournament results are also looked into to justify placing_

Alzi for example has consistent tournament results, improving displayed skill level and a solid projected skill level_ He is, however beaten by all the players above him in most matchups, thus he gains his current placing_

Hope this made sense_

Vlade

Social Outcast
I'd also like to point out that what place you get in a tournament DOESN'T MEAN JACK. It's all about who you lose to.

Okay maybe tournament results do mean jack but it's definitely far more important to look at who the players can and can't beat.

Top Bottom