• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Victory is My Destiny - MK Video and Critique Thread

Orion*

Smash Researcher
I'll try and get to everyone today

First one has a broken link.
But really. Just playing computers even 15-20 minutes a day, and really trying to pick smart options, and cover everything with your tilts and uair spacing will realllly help you as a player IMO

edit: I do have to really apologize I just have watching MK vs Marth vids right now because I've looked at enough of them for me to hate life atm LOL

iRJi

Smash Champion

But really. Just playing computers even 15-20 minutes a day, and really trying to pick smart options, and cover everything with your tilts and uair spacing will realllly help you as a player IMO

edit: I do have to really apologize I just have watching MK vs Marth vids right now because I've looked at enough of them for me to hate life atm LOL
AIM good sir.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Me vs Takeover

Can u help me Orion
First of all you really are turning into a mini m2k wow LOL
from a jason perspective there are a few things though

you miss the DI back on the SL cancel
you don't always FF your airs and airdodges
and you're missing the inputs on some of your tilts
your ledge play is slow airdodging on stage

if you're going to copy someone you have to at least do it better or there's no point.

but anyway

nair at bad times... most of the time you nair it's just unnecessary, wait for your opponent to commit there, since it's not guaranteed and there's so much lag, especially not shed.

weak hit nair -> grab on a character like wario is meh because he moves sooo far. hit confirm // di confirm whatever faster and don't shield just ftilt. but if you do shield upB

last stock you're just choking and using b moves... over committing. you really played so well until then

started to bring it back but then you ran in at the end take your time and try to relax.

game 2

Don't dash grab to much, run up shield is almost always better because you have time to react

don't ftilt 2/3 so fast without hit confirming. sometimes if they di out you can just go for ftilt1 to crap. also you don't need to shield unless it's like marth :glare:

empty shs kinda suck vs wario in the situations you are using them in both games

overall well played, you just choked. are you PRed yet??

edit: I got you RJ

Kaffei

Smash Hero
ty so much orion! i will work on those as soon as i can =D
and no im not PRed lol i dont want to be

Orion*

Smash Researcher
If u start winning more it'll happen on it's own...o3o. what then? can you turn down that stuff? :laugh:
you can't

stop being a little ***** kaffei you don't have to have it as a goal but if it happens be happy and accept it. it means you put in some work

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea

I'll try working on some that. Thanks! I can probably get vids against a different character some time in the next week.

M@v

Subarashii!
Me vs Sails(Diddy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-aawfOEkFE

This is the set that knocked me out of CoT5. I lost to a diddy in winners too, so I have a mu problem here.
Critiques will be appreciated. The one thing I've already realized is that I used tornado way too much in this mu, and that I was too aggro. Other than that, I'm kinda clueless, so critique me D:

C.J.

Smash Master
M@v, your item game is lacking. Z-catches, instant throws, glide tossing, zoning with items (z-drop to aerial for example), and landing w/ instant throws. That'll help you vs Diddy a LOT (And peach, and ZSS).

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Fair warning, I'm a Rainbow Cruise pocket MK. I'm a Falco main and, while I would love basic MK information, how to play this match-up in particular is what I REALLY need. I went in with the mindset of, I'm going to sit on this platform until given a chance to kill one of the ICs. I dunno though. This isn't the first time I've played against this ICs in tourney and I've played the MU a fair amount, but I found myself in a series of uncomfortable situations where I felt the safest move was to space FAir.

Anyway, here's the video.

HASL Bracket Set Ryker (MK) vs. Saint (ICs)

And for the record, I know how to correctly mash and do so.

jbandrew

Smash Lord
Fair warning, I'm a Rainbow Cruise pocket MK. I'm a Falco main and, while I would love basic MK information, how to play this match-up in particular is what I REALLY need. I went in with the mindset of, I'm going to sit on this platform until given a chance to kill one of the ICs. I dunno though. This isn't the first time I've played against this ICs in tourney and I've played the MU a fair amount, but I found myself in a series of uncomfortable situations where I felt the safest move was to space FAir.

Anyway, here's the video.

HASL Bracket Set Ryker (MK) vs. Saint (ICs)

And for the record, I know how to correctly mash and do so.
wtheck are you doing on the ground against IC's.... there's a tip to work on. DON't be grounded vs IC's... just camp a platform. Every stage except FD has a platform, camp it. Dair camp more and just play safer/ more patient. OH! and don't attack IC's sheild... <_< . so yea. there.

when u see an opening just poke in with nado and keep retreating. TBH your goal in this matchup is to not get grabbed... and you will accomplish that goal, even if it ends up in a time-out.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Fair is not really safe against them (unless you do it from below). Neither tilts or Dsmash are -you use it too much, btw-. More Dair and Nado for punish only, using it against their shield is pretty dangerous, even if they don't grab you, they'll either IceBlock or uair you. Just use it smartly.
Only grounded thing I do against them is Fsmash, but if they're too close, they'll grab you, so don't abuse it.

Yeah, playing ICs is a big pain overall.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
FH fair is really safe against ICs.

You'll get uair'd if they counter it perfectly (by shielding or spotdodging it), but it sweeps them up, and sets up juggles, which do more damage than their potential 15%, and often, Popo'll like PS the fair, and you'll shield poke, or just hit Nana before she shields or something. I'm not sure which, but against ICs I have that happen a lot, and get 0-deaths on Nana often haha.

Against ICs, you don't really need to throw out stuff much, almost all of them will do something, and if you just stay at a good position, you can bait them without committing and then kill Nana really easily.

A few things, I didn't watch the matches, but this is the matchup I probably know best (for some reason I don't know lol). If they're seperated, learn all your tricks for keeping them that way. Like if Nana's offstage and gonna die, and your opponent has the chance to run up and up B to save her, just nado Popo, and he HAS to commit to a defensive option, and doesn't get the chance to save Nana most of the time.

If you have Nana like above you, and Popo below you, every IC player is just gonna try and uair you, so just counter that with w/e you want (a lot of time, you can uair Nana away, and because it's so quick just outspace the incoming uair and dair it from the side).

And if you're between Popo and Nana, Nana automatically runs toward Popo
so if you charge like a Dsmash, it'll hit almost always, because the Popo doesn't really have many options for stopping it.

oh and Fthrow ***** ICs so bad if you get the opening.

and glide attack tilted up outranges blizzard, or beats it out or something, it just ***** it, but don't get PSed and grabbed lol

Oh just watched part of your video. You kinda throw out **** for no reason sometimes. Like dairing when it covers no options isn't bad inherently, but it can develop into a habit of using dair unintelligently, like you did with your landing dair that got you grabbed.

Really against ICs, if you just space yourself pretty well, and wait for them to do something, and just hit them, you're gonna beat 99% of ICs out there.

I've never played a very high level ICs, but I do really, really well against mid level ICs because if they just throw out something for no reason, and I outspace it/make it whiff (which isn't too hard, because I kinda just have to stay near my range, which is way larger than theirs), Nana's probably dead.

Don't falling dair so much if it's not guaranteed. A bad example of when to falling dair is like... idk look at any falling dairs that got punished, and they probably weren't good ideas lol. Although at times like 0:48, dair is perfect (or nado if your reaction time is quick enough to nado their landings after seeing a uair)

idk tired and thought I'd say some things about my favorite matchup :p

honestly I love playing ICs, because it's like a combo video on both sides haha. Practice against a CPU ICs to learn how Nana does ****, and learn how to **** it really hard. CPUs are really good for things like learning to beat Diddy's recovery, or D3's recovery, or how to **** the **** out of Nana.

Nana'll act about the same if she's separated from a CPU as she will if she's seperated from a player (a player might jump to change her trajectory or something, but that's about the extent of it lol), so you can learn a lot of frame trips on the character, and how to gimp Nana while being safe and able to cover Popo's options to save Nana.

imo anyways haha. There are so many little gimmicks on this character :p

Sails

Smash Ace
Me vs Sails(Diddy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-aawfOEkFE

This is the set that knocked me out of CoT5. I lost to a diddy in winners too, so I have a mu problem here.
Critiques will be appreciated. The one thing I've already realized is that I used tornado way too much in this mu, and that I was too aggro. Other than that, I'm kinda clueless, so critique me D:
It should be noted that my main practice partner is Pelca, whom if you don't know, is 3rd PR of NE. Since I'm constantly fighting his MK, I know the matchup very well.

Advice as I go through the video:

UpB isn't safe against Diddy Kong (Especially on shield if he has a banana), and you spam it a lot. If you are going to try and hit Diddy in the air with an UpB, bait an airdodge, or you'll probably get nailed. That goes for most matchups as MK though.

You're very predictable with your air attacks, waiting until I get decently low to the ground to finally go for hits.

If Diddy is falling to the floor, don't throw a banana at him, because Diddy's will airdodge in to the banana and throw it right back at you. In fact, stop picking up our bananas in general. You've just limited your attack options. If you feel like making space with a banana and you have the lead, go for it, but don't try and use them offensively unless it's trying to snipe us offstage.

You also camp too much at the worst times. If you want to win this matchup, you need to stay in Diddy's face constantly and correctly. Keep him from pulling/having bananas and get him off stage. Trying to air camp us with DAirs above us is asking for death. This set can definitely help you in this aspect: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjgaiiOh08M Notice how he stays in ADHD's face, and keeps the pressure going, camping only when needed due to the banana/peanut setup.

Dash attacking a shielded Diddy Kong is asking for a DSmash. Since we can turn it around out of shield, you're going to get hit by it. I don't recommend using dash attack as an attack if we're on the ground.

If you shield a banana, it'll go straight up, as you seem to know. The problem is, so do we. If I throw a banana at your shield, and I see you jumping up towards it, I know what you're doing and I'm going to punish you.

Don't try and pick up bananas when we're close. Diddy Kong mains have a keen eye for people trying to acquire their items, and we will be punishing your pickup, your wiffed jab for pickup, your trip, etc.

If Diddy is in front of you and you wiff a grounded UpB, you need to mash B and fast fall away from him immediately so that you limit getting punished (Which of course comes with the added bonus of being lagless once you hit the floor). Our FAir is too good and will hit you/clash with your glide attack almost every time. If a banana is in the vicinity when I jumping FAir your UpB, I'll pick it up with the rising FAir and either hit you or clash, and clashing will let me nail you with that banana (As may a hit at lower percents). In short: Don't UpB carelessly up close.

On Rainbow Cruise, it's a tossup. Some Diddy's love this stage against MK. When MK takes me here, it makes me smile. I enjoy it because there's plenty of tricks MK just doesn't expect. You do end up beating me here, but not before I SD twice and still take off two stocks :p

The thing that unfamiliar MK's fall for on RC are hazard zones. The boat hides our bananas pretty well with its raised edges, and we can control the mast very well. There's a lot of punish material here, where Shuttle Loops/tornados get caught up in the mast, the corner obviously being a place you don't want to be in, and tornado being just plain awful here. If you tornado on the boat, you are in a tight space with Diddy who is ready to punish you with a banana. Just camp this section out on the ledges, you're MK and you have plenty of stage to go. The section in the bottom left right after the boat is also a hazard zone. We can control space decently here and since we're obviously going to have superior item control, the screen zoom out and scrolling is going to leave you confused often. The last hazard zone is the final bit when the screen starts scrolling downwards. You were camping above the donut platforms, and in general at this area you should be trying to control the right side. If I aim for your feet or bait a shield poke with my banana, you're going to regret being over on that side as the screen starts to move downwards. If you camp out these areas correctly, and take advantage of the entire top middle/top left portion of the stage, you're already far more prepared for the matchup on this stage.

I'd say you need to find a good Diddy who can beat you/go even with you consistently, and play serious matches with him a ton. I can't speak from this side of the fence, but I've heard from others that Diddy is one of the few matchups you need to practice a lot of to understand.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
mjg im kinda high but i got you on the critique for the ps1 match

to start that nado was more useless and predictable than when i sideb at the start of bf good lawd

:18..nair oos was a better option than dair,nair oos ***** airdodges to the ground,and you have alot of time to react to with it so its an easy move to punish with..you coulda uair chained too,go for that ish at low % ._.

i notice you hesistate going for reads alot vs oli so far..just go for it you need to have follow ups in this matchup to keep it in your favor..you did bthrow > go to edge instead lol wtf ._...dthrow> uair or fair or nado or anything .__. lets see if you grow balls the more i watch this

stop approaching with grounded tornado,especially from such a far distance, if you nado do it up close so you can eat at his sheild..when its done from that far its really easy to telegraph..remember spaced dtilt is the godsend in this mu,thats your go-to

2;49 you dsmashed his sheild,never do that its a guaranteed punish for oli iirc..stage transformation saved you lol

AHHh! 2:55 you tried a follow up out of fthrow o sweet jesus yes..you missed but who cares you grew balls

yeah see look at how much better your doing when your trying to string moves together instead of nadoing from across the stage and uselessly jumping up and down

a 5;09 coulda had the match with an invci aerial..i hate when i mess those up i know that feel :(

5;26 was begging for a reverse SL kill :[

tl;dr dont be afraid to use follow ups, learn which follow ups are better in certain situations, stop nadoing from far away use more dtilt

we livin

M@v

Subarashii!
@ Sails

Yeah I said it was an mu problem because I got knocked out of winners by a diddy as well.

I'm used to having a reflector vs diddy with falco and fox. Even then though I feel its harder than it is with mk because if you eff up your reflector at all your getting nanner combod.

The big issue is I don't have any diddies to play at all. Last diddy main in PA was Rush, and that was almost 2 years ago D: I'll definitely be reading your writeup in more detail tomorrow; I got to get to sleep though because I got work tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice!

Orion*

Smash Researcher
This must be like the who knows how many times I have lost matchup.
Anyone care to critique and help me beat Snake?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj1cQvha5HI&feature=feedlik
I decided to watch LFs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZu4gOZRws4&feature=channel_video_title

Makes more sense to watch a more high pressure match imo, and see after both players have a chance to play each other / adapt :p

your whole juggle game relied on utilt
which is more of a move you use when you have a solid read and maybe want a kill or something, not like a "youre above me time to use this move"

when snakes above you, you need to learn how to space uairs

as for how you play, theres no pressure at all. you mostly just jump, and then hard commit to something. so the snake has way to much breathing room, or he can just shield whatever youre doing

JonathantheMeSa

Smash Journeyman
This must be like the who knows how many times I have lost matchup.
Anyone care to critique and help me beat Snake?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj1cQvha5HI&feature=feedlik
You should BYAAAAAAH him more, and really should BYAAAAAAAH more when he's using cypher. There were a few times you could've BYAAAAAHed his recoveries for kills. Also you should recognize when he will have to use his cypher so you can get good position on him so when he uses cypher you just BYAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

-LzR-

Smash Hero
@Orion: Snake is my personal weakness as far as matchups go. I have no idea what to do and I am pretty afraid of his bombs and tilts and whatever he throws at me so I don't really pressure :(
But thanks for the tip.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Please, I really need input, I rearely got people to play with, so any help is VERY useful.
I like your mk, but I think the main problem you have is you don't know your max range.

Many times you wiff grabs or tilts completely, or let wario get completely into your zone. Other than that, I would say you shield to much when you get scared vs wario (probably because you don't know what moves to use in what range)

work on your spacing and you will immediately improve ;)

Exdeath

Smash Master
I played stupidly and made a lot of spacing errors in this set. My general strategy was to simply wait for him to make a mistake, but I then went and mainly used unsafe options that he can react to. In particular, I tried to read all of his grabs on my shield with Up-B, which isn't at all safe (My goal for the set wasn't to win, but rather to learn). The next time that I play him, I am going to focus on actually keeping him in a bad position and be less risky. I also need to work a lot on my timings, such as when I read him retreating with a 'nade on FD, but started gliding too late and then glide attacked too late as well (it set off his 'nade).

Comments and criticisms are very welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWVgIiKyiKA

Orion theunabletable Staco Seibrik

Orion*

Smash Researcher
I played stupidly and made a lot of spacing errors in this set. My general strategy was to simply wait for him to make a mistake, but I then went and mainly used unsafe options that he can react to. In particular, I tried to read all of his grabs on my shield with Up-B, which isn't at all safe (My goal for the set wasn't to win, but rather to learn). The next time that I play him, I am going to focus on actually keeping him in a bad position and be less risky. I also need to work a lot on my timings, such as when I read him retreating with a 'nade on FD, but started gliding too late and then glide attacked too late as well (it set off his 'nade).

Comments and criticisms are very welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWVgIiKyiKA

Orion theunabletable Staco Seibrik
you know most of your problems lol

but imo

followups are to greedy
dsmash to much
nado not enough
edit: you legit run into the ****. think about where the c4s/nades are LOL

your punishment game is awful, that's the worst part. you know your followups, but you don't get them, or use them wisely. you also approach at nuetral positions wayyy to casually without thinking, but when you have an advantage you don't keep the pressure.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
What do you mean here?
1:00 is one of the most obvious examples

even if you missed the gimp, he was CLEARLY in an awful position. dtilt his shield, nado whatever but Take Advantage of the Situation. instead you just walk away, giving halzy time to think about the situation he was in.

like cool you still got a dthrow at the ledge because you made a read, but look at the risk reward you had to put yourself at who grabs first there (especially considering percents and the nade), in comparison to before where he wasn't even facing you lmao.

also now that I'm rewatching this please stop gliding in so obviously... and grab more for punishes.

as for approaching to much from neutral positions, look at like every time you get hit by a nade or a c4. you just like glided or dashed in while snake has all this **** out, whereas if you wait to find a hole in his wall it becomes much easier.

Top Bottom