• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] Brawl Power Rankings (VERSION TEN) Updated LAST YEAR LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
This is probably a little late to mention but Leisha actually did not qualify out of pools at that tournament. She was thrown in as a wild card to even the bracket out. No disrespect to you Leisha I actually mentioned your name during the PR final discussion but saying you came 17th at that tournament meant that you came last in that tournament.

swordsaint

Smash Master
Getting last in your pool is getting last at that tournament. Getting last in the bracket is getting last in the bracket.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Scoot it's fine for now.

There have already been numerous mentions of the list currently taking a longer view of this year's brawl history, which has had little impact from Leisha.

Leave it for another time, etc etc.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
hey I've got a great idea, lets NOT learn from the past few days and instead cause another fight.
gosh, I'm so smart

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
before this list was announced, i would've considered myself lucky to make top 20, let alone 10th.

i don't think i've ever outplaced Nicks in a tournament, and we've only played once in tournament (rocky pools, going 1-1). i don't think i've ever outplaced Dekar. i've only outplaced Condog at the november stigma, and he beat me the only time we've played in tournament. same deal with X and Haydino, i think. my tournament results are not impressive, having come last twice at stigmas during the year and coming 4th in my rocky pool, making the november stigma my best placing (13th), which i feel is not up to standard for a PR 10th.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Thanks for your input Dean. I’d like to reiterate that the VPR is an attempt an educated judgement on a player’s skill, ‘skill’ being loosely defined as a series of all-encompassing measurements that goes beyond just tournament data (even though tournament data obviously accounts for a good amount of our decision making). This is where subjectivity comes in, as controversial as it is, but it also allows us to draw in assumptions where we can say we believe someone is good, by virtue of their demonstrated talents with, say, a difficult/disadvantaged character, or where we see someone who is unmistakeably talented but does not necessarily rank high in tournaments. This is an ideal approach to creating a PR, as the construct of Brawl tournaments is inherently flawed and does not fully represent where people stand - tournament results just give you a number at the end of the day and luck also plays a huge part in deciding what number you get - so we shouldn’t placing all of our decisions on tournament results when there are too many variables inside of tournaments that are determined by the game itself rather than the player (such as stage, character selections, undesirable matchups and disadvantages, etc). In short, these rankings are about who has made an impression in tournaments or otherwise, and it’s ok to think you’re being overrated. Maybe it can give you a chance to figure out why you're placed in the PR to begin with.

"Rankings take into consideration a person's collective Singles performances over history and of recent times." - Key word bring 'performances' - not results.

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
thanks for the input CAO, i still don't necessarily agree with my position but i can accept the views of the panel.

Splice

Smash Hero
Everyones being so nice in general right now, it makes me SQUEE! ^_^

@Dean : Your improvement from Rocky to the most recent Stigma, surely you must have felt it? You came 13th, that's only one spot down from me at 9th. It was a tough tourney, so even though it is a lower placing, it still holds a lot of value due to the players in attendance at that tournament. Remember to keep that in mind :)

I predict a gradual incline from Nicks.

Afropony

Smash Lord
It's good to see every one in a much freindlier mood, Viva I think you deserved your place by the end of this smash season, you've improved tremendously.

I have a query, however.
I’d just like to know how Jei has been ranked above me. I don’t want to cause an argument but by looking at the latest portion of tournaments it makes no sense to me.

Here's a list of recent tournaments, I'm on the left he's on the right.
Stigma-B september 5 9
Stigma-H september 4 7
Stigma-B october 4 5
Rocky 9 17
Stigma-B November 7 9
Stigma-Bryan 3 7

Seeing as though he didn’t outplace me once in the last six tournaments I don’t see how he has been placed above me.

Splice

Smash Hero
Nah I_Lag that criteria only comes into play if the two players are really close and hard to decide between.

Whilst i'm not saying Jei is leagues behind Afro, it's quite clear to see whose better judging by those results, so whatever the reasoning behind it, I'm pretty sure there would be more to it than that.

Also Jeis MK doesnt beat my GaW, and Afroponys Pit does (except for that one time).

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
I have already agreed that Afropony should be placed above me, it's true, he's simply better in almost every way. He's younger, better looking etc.
I actually don't have a reason as to why I'm above him but I must say one thing to you Mr. Splice:

MU's are slightly altered when it's against the person you practice with. I mean, there are certain characters I can just lol at when I vs them but if I were to have a buddy that uses one of those characters and we play against each other all the time you can bet our matches will eventually be extremely close every single time.

I never even doubted it once when I can barely touch your G&W with Pit and then watch Afro beat you the very next match with his Pit. It just means he knows you better, I have many other examples but I think you should see my point.

Dw though, I'm not going to be on the next PR, I quit.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
jei quit, and i am not pleased.

it appears that quite a few people are not having fun with this game anymore. people take note, cause the scene is dying quickly, and will be extinct unless we're all cautious.

@ilag: youre wrong. dont make trouble. im not in the mood.

Splice

Smash Hero
Uh you seem to have misunderstood Jei.

I_Lag was saying you'd better because of the tiers of your character, I was just saying that you have also used MK and not been able to beat me, and he does not have to use MK to be able to beat me, he uses Pit, showing that Pony is just as legit with low tiers, and that you have resorted to high tiers in the past.

I know that between me and Afropony the Pit vs GaW MU is about 60:40 or less, it's still a valid point.

No-one's having a go at you Jei, no-one wants you off the PR :/

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Splice: eh not really, I just feel like people run into my attacks more, I dunno. I'm just suprised because I didn't think half the panel had ever watched me play before the last Stigma.

Tan: sorry man, the only way I'm going is up!

I haven't seen Jei play as of late so I can't really say much; Afro's still a really impressive player though whenever I watch. It's probably one of those borderline decisions where, unfortunately, someone has to be lower.

Splice

Smash Hero
Splice: eh not really, I just feel like people run into my attacks more, I dunno.
Your so modest :bee:
Or your just saying we're all getting worse =S

Well, to put another notch in Deans belt, he's beat me with Ganondorf in a tourney, legit.
So many reasons why your pro Dean. Just wait until you come to like... 3 tournaments in a ROW! That would be amazing skill-flaunting for you.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Just for your information, a review for this should be systematically happening every quarter, so March would release the next revision. When that happens, I'll be inviting some new people to join the panel, whilst others withdraw from it. I'll be co-ordinating the discussions, but not necessairily providing any input. Any takers should PM me about it!

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Since we're gonna be having more tourneys per month next year, i think it would be more accurate if the PR was updated every 2 months instead of every 3.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
If your cycling people on and off the panel, it shouldn't really be an issue since the workload is spread amond those people. The increased workload is worth more accurate rankings imo.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
There's still people that'll more or less remain permanent on the panel - I for one, since I have to teach people how to do a proper PR. Additionally, there's mainstayers like Tibs and Attila, who will pretty much be on top of the knowledge bank of this region for a long time and are needed for continuity measures.

A three month update is just fine; two months is too optimistic of a time-span required to update a list. We will still get more accurate rankings if your assumption of increased tournament output is correct, since we'll have more data to work with.

However, I personally doubt your assumption of increased tournaments over the next year; too many tournaments creates a 'burn-out' effect that will devalue the tournaments it competes with. That, in turn, will reduce the demand for tournaments that succeed it. A scene of our size cannot sustain more than two tournaments a month.

That's just my position on things; there's no guarantee tournament activity will amp up.

_X_

Smash Lord
There's still people that'll more or less remain permanent on the panel - I for one, since I have to teach people how to do a proper PR. Additionally, there's mainstayers like Tibs and Attila, who will pretty much be on top of the knowledge bank of this region for a long time and are needed for continuity measures.
This made me laugh.

However, I personally doubt your assumption of increased tournaments over the next year; too many tournaments creates a 'burn-out' effect that will devalue the tournaments it competes with. That, in turn, will reduce the demand for tournaments that succeed it. A scene of our size cannot sustain more than two tournaments a month.

That's just my position on things; there's no guarantee tournament activity will amp up.
I agree.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Since I'm bored I'll make a prettier P/R list like sydney and queensland :3

Also since Jei has quit, who will manage the front page and change it when needed be? Oh then again cao can just change the post xD

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Oh okay awesome, sent and sent =D

I only did from 1 to 10 though, ill do the others later when I actually can be bothered getting onto photoshop lawl

Splice

Smash Hero
Ok well they should hurry up and edit the first page then. Pretty lazy of them, to just put the No.1 Champion on hold, don't you think?

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
earl has NEVER taken a set off my snake. not ever. cant see him being number 1 just yet.

but in a few months, maybe.

and hes not meta-gimped. tiers were used to split players of equal ability (among other factors), which at the time, we did not deem necessary to determine earl's placing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom