• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] Brawl Power Rankings (VERSION TEN) Updated LAST YEAR LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

I LAG

Smash Lord
i think we all know

EARL IS NUMBER 1 coz he beat tobys mk

and toby > dojo which means earl > dojo
which means earl > everyone in aus

/trolling

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
the only reason its not locked is because cao's on a plane right now. a jetstar plane O_o

he'll lock it when he arrives back, dw.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
I hate to say this but the criteria looks dumb to me. I'll go through them one by one.

wow that wasnt the reaction i expected. anyway, criteria:

1. general ability

players in the power rankings should have demonstrated the smash ability to defeat top players, or at least stretch them further than other characters do. they should be able to do this relatively consistently; the more consistently, the higher they will be ranked. this is both determined by tournaments and (to a much lesser extent mind you) by regular smash meets.
I like it this is and should be the main factor looks good so far.

2. character selection

while this does player a lesser part in the equation, character usage is also valuable. which character is used, how many characters are used, and the persons ability compared to other players who also use that character are questioned. thus, players that main characters lower on the tier list but with equal ability will naturally be ranked lower on the tier list. and further, those you can only play competitively with one character are seen as less versatile, and thus, also marked down in terms of the tier list. and finally, if one needed to resort to mk in order to take tournament placings, then they also logically lose power ranking points.
Sorry this is stupid. Not everyone can play their best with every character for some people the char they have the most fun with and happen to be the most talented with is a top tier character. For example with Earl (since it seems this rule was made just so he and Afro could be put down [/trollin]) his playstyle does not sit well with Snake. Fact. He's a smart player but not in a snake oh look I'm setting frame traps smart. He's smart in a I read you well and can play safe MK way. And lo' n behold he plays best with MK. Now I'll use me, the two characters I play best in the game are ZSS and Bowser MK (Lol I know right? But I try to avoid him in tournies). The thing is why I play them the best tho. Because I'm a combo oriented player (64 durr durr) and ZSS and MK best fit my playstyle, to put it simply my best attributes as a player are their best attributes as characters so I can maximize my ability.

Also Multiple mains? Do I need to dignify that with an answer? Who are the top players in America/Canada? Ally and M2k? Do they both play one character (tick and tick). Multiple mains does not prove squat about a players ability aside from having either
a) A lot of time on their hands
b) Knowing the game mechanics well (theory craft not playing ability right there, this is why this has no right on a PR list)
or c) They are really good at the game and win with every character that ever existed and are named Cobalt.
3. contribution to the scene

players you influence the scene with their unique ability, smash presence, and uncommon playing styles are given preference here. forcing others to think of ways around things when they generally didnt have to before are signs of a thinking smasher, one not only with more potential than the rest, but also one brute forcing the scene around him to improve and taking it to the next level. that player strives to improve his own game, and actively uses the scene to do so. also on this point, if one doesnt regularly attend smash meets or appears to gave given up the game at different points in time, we give up on them. theyre not helping anybody in their absence.
I like this, its a good way to determine the nicest people on the scene and- oh wait. Thats not what this list is about.
This is a who plays the game the best list, you know Power n all that. Where you... Rank them. Not whos the best person, or who helps the scene I salute those people and I appreciate all you guize do (<3 TO's) but this is a list about who plays the game the best. Being a good guy or being quirky does not make you good. Winning games makes you good. Yeah I said it.

4. potential

probably the vaguest of all the criteria, but also rather important. if a player has seemed to plateau in terms of smash ability and growth, his competitive days are most likely numbered, as all those around him get better and further our metagame. at least with our current abilities, no on in australia has the excuse to plateau. if no improvement in your game is evident, you shall most assuredly lose power ranking points.
Um I like it kind of not really. Potential is good, like some players have momentary flashes of absolute brilliance (Splice comes to mind) and should be rewarded as such. But Plateauing? The top players in Aus are always going to not improve much as well they're the best and have no better players to make them better. And well they're still the best.

5. tournament results

this is where the proof comes in. you should be able to prove how good you are. its not about winning or losing, but someone in the top 20 should regularly place within the top 15 or higher. everyone has off days, and some people just generally dont play well in tournaments, but a power ranked player should have the ability to push up into those ranks every once in a while.
This makes much sense, to quote ZP it is therefore uninteresting and should not be talked about.

6. lastabilty

beat me once? congratulation. try and do it again. i guarantee it'll be a hell of a lot more difficult. power ranked players should be able to compete with melbourne's victoria's best regularly, not relying on matchup inexperience or an off day. they must be consistent, and stand the test of time in the scene.
Also a smart choice. This is another good quality for the list.

I don't mind the top 20 idea as an incentive and creating lots of competition between players hovering around 11-25ish in the state it sounds like a good direction for melbourne.

Implying Snake shouldn't be put in the same boat as MK
Lol, just Lol. Snake D3 MU? I haven't checked recently but from what I've heard that was agreeing upon beeing about evenish if the snake knows what he's doing. Snake/Olimar? We have a good Olimar anymore? Looks like you don't have to work your way around that one ever since Ledge quit. Also Top players have started saying that Snake also has no bad MU's like MK. Did I mention how he ***** and is a heavy? Snake/ZSS would be even except Snake kills like I dunno, about 50% earlier or so.

Long story short I like the idea about the PR list but am getting concerned about it right about now.

PS: Tanman for top of PR, rawr.

Tanman

Smash Journeyman
Tanman for top of PR. Now that IS a laugh. Maybe, maybe MAYBE if I learn to deal with the top tier characters, I might. Until then, I'll be content to make top 10.

But seriously, the concept for the power rankings should just be who is the best; based on their wins and how consistantly they do. If not, based on that Criteria, I would like to go to top of the list =D Given last Stigma-H Results, I definately fill all the criteria.

earla

Smash Lord
so atleast 4 of melbs solid playaz, ledge, dekar, nix and myself feel this criteria as listed in this thread.. is well.. rather anal. you're telling scott to mind his business yet clearly some of us agree.

get that checked out attila.:laugh:

tedeth

Smash Master
Nix baNix basically took the nail and D3 fsmashed it imo.

(Smash way of saying hit the nail on the head)

Prolly the most logical post in this thread so far.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
People need to stop starting fights ;(
Yeah this.

Either Caotic can unlock this and post the PR or Somebody can PM me with the list and I'll unlock it. I don't agree with criteria 2 either but I do respect their process.

EDIT: Power Rankings I think are very important to promoting a healthy, competitive smash scene. Thus, I can appreciate the likely reason why Criteria 2 is included however, and the criteria regarding potential.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
May as well unlock this once Jei edits his post with the actual rankings.

Until then...

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
ok its open again, so i shall quickly take this time to clarify.

i wasnt really sure what the confusion was all about, so i had a good think, and worked out was everyone was actually complaining about.

all criteria did not weight equally.

general skill was the main factor, and the other 5 criteria were discussed and referred to in order to differentiate players of similar skill and ability. so yeah, please dont assume and flame next time, because if something that 5 respectable people in the smash community decided upon seems stupid, you probably misunderstood.

swordsaint

Smash Master
respectable is a matter of opinion and shouldn't be used to refer upon yourself, though i respect the players on the panel. =P

but seriously, no one was flaming >_<

and attila, thanks for clearing that up.

Splice

Smash Hero
If by fight you mean a debate about something they thought was wrongful, then yeah. That's a problem? geez.

I personally saw nothing wrong with this thread, Earl complained about the criteria of the list and Attila... didnt quite answer the question (attilas massive post was really the only mean thing on the entire thread) but yeah, the debate itself wasnt a fight, people just didnt like what they saw.

And attila, you cant blame people for assuming things when you didnt explain the specifics, probably shouldve said "all criteria do not way equally" originally if you intended to let us in on the criteria at all ;)

Anyway, these results sure are taking a long time. IMO just post them in a quote box (like the stigma ranbats) without fancy colour format first, and then do that later.

EDIT: yeah, what hotdogs said.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Alright then,

And yeah I was thinking the list would be up as-well. I thought they were going up long ago XD but then again, Jeis probably busy with other personal things atm.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
It doesn't matter if they weren't weighted evenly. The point I was trying to bring up was some of those criteria in no way differentiated players based on skill at Brawl. The point of having a panel of top players who decide on the rankings is so the best players rank the players in skill. The top players/ TO's are charged with making the list, if we were going to use other criteria not based on winning the game we wouldn't make a PR panel as we could do it ourselves.

It's the panels job to separate the players into a list based on performance and skill at Brawl and as such those other criteria which are causing consternation have no place in deciding the list.
My 2 cents.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Ok that's enough.

I haven't organized a thing about poker and all of my posts have been from my phone so I don't have the list with me. When I finally did have some time to post the list, you little kids had this thread locked with your bull****. I don't know why but it didn't allow me to edit the OP until it was opened again.

I'll put the list up when I'm finally at home again and NOT busy with more important things and Scoot another comment like that about the way I use my time the next time I see you I swear to God I will punch you in your ****ing face.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
If you don't know, then don't say anything. That wasn't me being defensive, that was my response to you straight up disrespecting me.

In fact, until I post this list I don't want to have to read anymore bs posts about how long it's taking and Attila's criteria.

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
Holy **** what is it with this guy? He's either so incredibly dense that he doesn't realise he is giving people ****, or he is such a massive prick that he hides behind the whole i was just saying thing.

Seriously wtf does this have to do with you anyway? Do you just sit there spamming F5 for something that doesn't even involve you? Is your life really that sad?

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Ok it's done.

Just know that this is all a group decision, none of it is opinionated and many different things were considered.

Besides you should all know how PR works so deal with it.
CAO feel free to lock this thread again.

Peace.

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
hey Jei can you plz take Snake from my name. as i havnt used Snake in tourney all year, and when the PR was decided i didnt even know how to play snake ,_,.

Thx for the PR update though XD.

Vermy

Smash Champion
Oh there'll be arguing. List looks legit to me. Congrats to my boys in ASSAULT who made it there, you've earned it.

And congrats to my bff C-dizzle. <3

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
OK, another chance for you guys to gain my trust, as I'm reopening this thread. As a general warning, thoughts and discussions are welcomed, but if discussions become sour, I will be taking further action. No arguing. Enjoy. I also updated the first post with some mandatory information regarding Power Rankings.

swordsaint

Smash Master
I believe Leish should be ranked between 15-20.

She placed 17th at the last Stigma-X.

Singles

1. Tedeth [Wario/Wolf] 10 points
2. Tibz [Diddy Kong] 9 points
3. D0N [Donkey Kong/Fox] 8 points
4. Attila [Snake/Ice Climbers] 7 points
5. Earl [Metaknight] 6 points
5. Shaya [Marth] 6 points
7. Afropony [Metaknight/Pit] 4 points
7. Dekar [Mr. Game & Watch/Marth] 4 points
9. Jei [Pit] 2 points
9. Atyeo [Snake] 2 points
9. Splice [Mr. Game & Watch] 2 points
9. Nicks [Wario/Metaknight] 2 points
13. X
13. Toshiba
13. CAOTIC
13. Dean
17. Toby
17. Viva
17. Condog
17. Haydino
17. Leisha
17. Ledge
17. Devil
17. Meteor Master

A great degree of difficulty. The overall skill in this bracket is astounding, to even make it was an accomplishment.

Drixon Sypher: Ranked 18, didn't make it through pools in Stigma-X.

6 Sydney power ranked players making the bracket, and CAOTIC, who wishes not to be on the PR. 7 players she lost to, or tied with, who otherwise wouldn't be there. And she had already tied 17th from a 24 man bracket.

Drawing with Toby, PRed 3rd/4th in Sydney. Viva, PRed 14th in Victoria. Condog, PRed 16th. Haydino, 11th. Ledge, 8th. Devil, 9th. Meteor, 7th in Sydney.

All people in the bracket are Power Rankings material.

Calibre of competition - It's great that you can win a local high school tournament, but if there's no good there, don't expect it to boost your ranking. Tournaments which have highly ranked or respected participants (from either local or out of state regions) will be given greater weight.
Players must be a current resident of Victoria.

Tough tournament. Tougher than what some of the lower PRed players have attended. Leisha did well in it. And in accordance to the mentioned criteria, this placing holds a MUCH greater weight.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Out of interest, what time period did you use when deciding the rankings?

EDIT: also, i agree with everything scott said. Leish is definitely PR material.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Agreed, although i wont try to push anything, but it seems most the PR placed up seemed to be ranked by old dated tourneys, nothing recent imo which should be first poirity. I for one think conor should be higher too.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Thanks Scoot. If I have the bracket of the last STIGMA-X handy I could see her run properly. It's a fair call to say she has been underrated and that's something I can easily cop on the chin and take on board for future consideration. It's also worth mentioning that players that ended up in the 15-20-mark have been consistent throughout the year (we've used a time period that reflects the entire Stigma season), and I think Leisha's performances have only been noteworthy as of late - such as Rocky and onwards. If she keeps it up she will emerge in the rankings eventually. It's good to note that first runs of the PR are always the most sketchy. The PR will naturally refine itself over time as the panel gets a better understanding of the rest of the smash community's skill.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
I thought the PR was meant to be a ranking of the CURRENT skill of the players, not retrospective skill. Thats what the ranbats are for.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
The panel needs to weigh both: A) a player's consistency over a given time period and B) most recent performances. This is part of the standard criteria of any legitimate PR. As future revisions are made, historical data will be phased out as incoming data takes precedence. Since this is a first list, panels are forced to utilize some historical data to set a precedent, otherwise you'll just be placing all of your judgements onto recent tournaments, which does not provide enough variance. This sort of issue sorts itself over time.

Also, the Ranbat list is not a retrospective ranking of skilled players. It is a tally of results.

swordsaint

Smash Master
Cao's right, NSW V1 list had it's set backs. By V2 the kinks were phased out. And Cao, just ftr. I dont think he's disputing using previous results, only how far back. Maybe 3-6 months is good. The whole season overdoes it imo.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
To be a bit more precise, the panel's thought patterns revolved little around the early part of the season (which explains why players like Cobalt and Everence are excluded), but it did account a little for the assumption of players that featured on the lower end of the VPR spectrum, as they have remained consistent performers over the year.

Thanks again, Scoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom