• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] Brawl Power Rankings (VERSION TEN) Updated LAST YEAR LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
If what attila posted was the correct order...
Ima...
Ima...

CHU CHU CHUUUUUUUUUUUUU~RAGE this shiz up

Because MK being a better character than G&W isn't a good reason for someone to be above another, imo =)

Splice

Smash Hero
That's all you have to complain about?
Your probably mainly remembering how **** i was in crew battles lol :p I actually find that crew battle to be reassuring.

That said, I dont think I should be above Earl, not because of the character thing (the tiers dont even matter that much when Earl and I play, though they're starting to!) but generally just because he is MUCH BETTER THAN ME.

Seriously wut.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
You should post up your criteria for the rankings so people have a good understanding of your thoughts, prejudices, and other things.

Like what time period are you aiming at here?
-
Oh, it's definitely none of my business to try and change your policies, I'm just interested in what they are, considering Earl's my boy, and the general conceptions around non-panelists. Splice has beaten Earl in the last 3 out of 4 sets they've played, but Earl has had consistantly higher placings :O.

earla

Smash Lord
afropony outplaces splice, especially recently + beats splice 100% of the time.

why isn't he above splice then?

+ nicks not in top 10?

lol have fun with updating 20 rankings.

swordsaint

Smash Master
im with earl, 20's too much considering how difficult it can be to keep 10 in a proper order, and how anything below top 8, nevermind top 8 will be constantly changing.

Afropony

Smash Lord
i really cant remember how it went. it was a very intricate process... but, it was something like:

tibs
attila
splice
earl
jei
afro
ledge
toshi
haydino
devil
dean

something something

i really dont remember.

If this is the case I'll be arguing on here for a while lol.

I think Shaya's idea of putting reasons as why they are on the list is a good idea too.

Sieg

Smash Champion
And thus the PR arguments starts again.

Soon you'll all realise how silly PR's are.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
afropony outplaces splice, especially recently + beats splice 100% of the time.

why isn't he above splice then?

august stigma
splice 1st
afro 4th

september stigma
splice 9th
afro 5th

october stigma
splice 2nd
afro 4th

november stigma
splice 9th
afro 7th

well in the last four months its been pretty even, so you cant really say afro outplaces splice, afro seems alittle more consistent, but afro has failed to dip into the top 3 whereas splice has made it in and even won a tourney.

of course this isnt really any of my business but I thought I'd just point this out so people dont make claims that arnt backed up.

earla

Smash Lord
september stigma h
afro 4th
splice 5th

rocky
afro 9
splice 13

stigma bryan
afro 3rd
splice didn't attend

okay, my apologies they're pretty even in terms of placings, afro still more consistent. however, you's were doing pvp me v splice. pvp afro's taken splice 100% of the time iirc?

i've beaten afro the 2 recent times i've played him + beaten splice in the most recent set we've played, + out place both of them consistently.
imo:
tibz, attila, me, afro, splice. 5's plenty ;)

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
wow that wasnt the reaction i expected. anyway, criteria:

1. general ability

players in the power rankings should have demonstrated the smash ability to defeat top players, or at least stretch them further than other characters do. they should be able to do this relatively consistently; the more consistently, the higher they will be ranked. this is both determined by tournaments and (to a much lesser extent mind you) by regular smash meets.

2. character selection

while this does player a lesser part in the equation, character usage is also valuable. which character is used, how many characters are used, and the persons ability compared to other players who also use that character are questioned. thus, players that main characters lower on the tier list but with equal ability will naturally be ranked lower on the tier list. and further, those you can only play competitively with one character are seen as less versatile, and thus, also marked down in terms of the tier list. and finally, if one needed to resort to mk in order to take tournament placings, then they also logically lose power ranking points.

3. contribution to the scene

players you influence the scene with their unique ability, smash presence, and uncommon playing styles are given preference here. forcing others to think of ways around things when they generally didnt have to before are signs of a thinking smasher, one not only with more potential than the rest, but also one brute forcing the scene around him to improve and taking it to the next level. that player strives to improve his own game, and actively uses the scene to do so. also on this point, if one doesnt regularly attend smash meets or appears to gave given up the game at different points in time, we give up on them. theyre not helping anybody in their absence.

4. potential

probably the vaguest of all the criteria, but also rather important. if a player has seemed to plateau in terms of smash ability and growth, his competitive days are most likely numbered, as all those around him get better and further our metagame. at least with our current abilities, no on in australia has the excuse to plateau. if no improvement in your game is evident, you shall most assuredly lose power ranking points.

5. tournament results

this is where the proof comes in. you should be able to prove how good you are. its not about winning or losing, but someone in the top 20 should regularly place within the top 15 or higher. everyone has off days, and some people just generally dont play well in tournaments, but a power ranked player should have the ability to push up into those ranks every once in a while.

6. lastabilty

beat me once? congratulation. try and do it again. i guarantee it'll be a hell of a lot more difficult. power ranked players should be able to compete with melbourne's victoria's best regularly, not relying on matchup inexperience or an off day. they must be consistent, and stand the test of time in the scene.

i think that covered it for the most part. jei or someone can step in otherwise.

but as stated earlier, we will be using a top 20 because it allows more players to get their names on the list. this is turn generates more players striving to improve their ranking on the list, and also allows more players to gain recognition when they wouldnt be able to otherwise. regardless of difficulty, this is a great thing for the melbourne smash scene, and will no doubt improve ability and promote the competitive nature of smash.

if you disagree with the results, dont just say you do, tell us why and generate some discussion. kinda like what earl did, finding results and all, right before he got proved wrong. or even better, prove youre better on the battlefield (or fd and sv).

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
+ out place both of them consistently.
look earl I like you and I dont want to be mean or come off the wrong way, but do some research before you open your mouth or else you'll look stupid just like djdowny who makes this mistake all the time.

as you can see here from the last 4 stigmas, you've only outplaced splice once.
and you've only really gone even with afro so same story as above.

as for beating them, thats your call since I cant look it up, but you cant say you've out placed them consistently

august stigma
splice 1st
afro 4th
earl 5th

september stigma
splice 9th
afro 5th
earl 9th

october stigma
splice 2nd
afro 4th
earl 3rd

november stigma
splice 9th
afro 7th
earl 5th

earla

Smash Lord
stigma h september:
3. me
4. afro
5. splice

rockyy: october
7. me
9. afro
13. splice

stigma bryan november
2. me
3. afro
splice no show

depends how many months u consider i guess. augusts IS prety out-dated now.

so afro outplaced me.. twice over.. 7 tourneys? lol
and splice twice? + 1 equal over 7 tourneys.

that's consistently out-placing thx luke

afro - never beaten tibz or tila
splice - beaten tibz in one set in last four months.
me - taken 2 sets off tibz in last 4 months, but 5 over the year. 1 off attila over the year.

that's pretty much all the factual shiz u's can **** over. woo

Attila_

BRoomer
earl youre above afro on the list, so im not sure what thats about. but for further reasoning of your placement as 4th best in the smashing state, please refer to sections 2,3,4 and 6. we made our decision and wont be changing any time soon.

/end of current discussion

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
wow that wasnt the reaction i expected. anyway, criteria:

1. general ability

players in the power rankings should have demonstrated the smash ability to defeat top players, or at least stretch them further than other characters do. they should be able to do this relatively consistently; the more consistently, the higher they will be ranked. this is both determined by tournaments and (to a much lesser extent mind you) by regular smash meets.

2. character selection

while this does player a lesser part in the equation, character usage is also valuable. which character is used, how many characters are used, and the persons ability compared to other players who also use that character are questioned. thus, players that main characters lower on the tier list but with equal ability will naturally be ranked lower on the tier list. and further, those you can only play competitively with one character are seen as less versatile, and thus, also marked down in terms of the tier list. and finally, if one needed to resort to mk in order to take tournament placings, then they also logically lose power ranking points.

3. contribution to the scene

players you influence the scene with their unique ability, smash presence, and uncommon playing styles are given preference here. forcing others to think of ways around things when they generally didnt have to before are signs of a thinking smasher, one not only with more potential than the rest, but also one brute forcing the scene around him to improve and taking it to the next level. that player strives to improve his own game, and actively uses the scene to do so. also on this point, if one doesnt regularly attend smash meets or appears to gave given up the game at different points in time, we give up on them. theyre not helping anybody in their absence.

4. potential

probably the vaguest of all the criteria, but also rather important. if a player has seemed to plateau in terms of smash ability and growth, his competitive days are most likely numbered, as all those around him get better and further our metagame. at least with our current abilities, no on in australia has the excuse to plateau. if no improvement in your game is evident, you shall most assuredly lose power ranking points.

5. tournament results

this is where the proof comes in. you should be able to prove how good you are. its not about winning or losing, but someone in the top 20 should regularly place within the top 15 or higher. everyone has off days, and some people just generally dont play well in tournaments, but a power ranked player should have the ability to push up into those ranks every once in a while.

6. lastabilty

beat me once? congratulation. try and do it again. i guarantee it'll be a hell of a lot more difficult. power ranked players should be able to compete with melbourne's victoria's best regularly, not relying on matchup inexperience or an off day. they must be consistent, and stand the test of time in the scene.

i think that covered it for the most part. jei or someone can step in otherwise.

but as stated earlier, we will be using a top 20 because it allows more players to get their names on the list. this is turn generates more players striving to improve their ranking on the list, and also allows more players to gain recognition when they wouldnt be able to otherwise. regardless of difficulty, this is a great thing for the melbourne smash scene, and will no doubt improve ability and promote the competitive nature of smash.

if you disagree with the results, dont just say you do, tell us why and generate some discussion. kinda like what earl did, finding results and all, right before he got proved wrong. or even better, prove youre better on the battlefield (or fd and sv).
I would love to post this on the OP <3
Sorry about the delay, I wasn't aware how interested everyone was to see the list and how impatient most people are lol. I'll post it after the NBA today.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I'd like to argue that tanman should be no.1 on the PR.

Under clause 2 he uses a pretty crappy character,
who cares if he didnt beat Tibs, he uses a BAD CHARACTER.
Like LOOK AT THAT POTENTIAL, IF HE DIDNT USE A CRAPPY CHAR HE'D DEFINITELY BE NO.1, according to clause 4.
He also contributed mass lulz after knocking out Attila 500 years ago, definitely top tier clause 3 material. He also records things, that's a huge contribution.

The only thing not going for him are clause 5 and 6.
However this is far and beyond lackluster in deciding things compared to how bad Tibs is for using a top tier character. Also I hear Nicks uses Wario, I think because of how "gay" Wario is he should never ever be considered for the higher echelons of the PR, his points from clause 2 are like minus infinity.

<3.

Sieg

Smash Champion
I like clause 2. It's ****ing hilarious.

But yeah, woo PR's.

Not really.

<3 Splice he's a legend.

earla

Smash Lord
<3 splice, but i don't think afro or i should be degraded for our character of choice. attila, you speak as though you use rubbish characters and mk is the only 'gay' one to single out. you main 2 of the gayest in the game being snake and ic's. when u did try to prove yourself, bragging you'd make top 5 with lucas, you made a royal douchebag of yourself like you do 90% of the time on the boards not even cuttin the top 10 mark.

ahaha im done with this joke, good luck, viva tanman for PR top tier :p

Sieg

Smash Champion
I loled at Earl's post.

And since he has a good point, I propose a tournament be held for the first ranking tier.

A SINGLE CHARACTER TOURANMENT.

All players must use one character randomly chosen to the be the tournaments key character. Then we'll see who has the real skill.

swordsaint

Smash Master
Even the criteria is wrong...

Meets included? I 3 stocked Tedeth in one of our games today.
I should be first in NSW.
Obviously I shouldn't as I'm clearly making a mockery of your criteria.

Judging people based on their lack of attendance to meets is wrong as well. Or even if they take a break. Power rankings list the best players in order, not enthusiasm.

Not getting better shouldn't matter until they actually start dropping in rankings, losing your PR spot because you're not getting better, but still winning isn't actually encouraging. It's discouraging to know you're losing a spot because you're not getting better, even though you're not losing. As an example, I'll use Tibz. Tibz is an extremely good player, no doubt. He's always winning, no doubt. Though he isn't really improving. It's really hard to improve when you always win. Should tibz lose points because he's getting better? No. He's winning. That's what matters, along with consistency. Even if I'm wrong about "Tibz" not getting better, and he is, who cares? It's an example, if it irks you, and you quote me, use <BLANK> instead.

Playing unorthodox doesn't mean playing better. It just makes you unique. Being unique doesn't warrant preference in rankings. Skill does.

Characters are irrelevent as well. This isn't about who's "the better player" as such, but who's the best. If we used this clause in Sydney, Toby would clearly be Power Ranked first.

I'm not intentionally trying to start some sort of argument, and I'm not going to try and change the way Melbourne does things. However I will say, that your criteria for what "Power Rankings" stand for are wrong. And that in comparison to the definition of Power Rankings, these clearly will not be Power Rankings.

General Skill. (In tournament)
Results.
Consistency.

These are the defining factors of Power rankings.

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
Even the criteria is wrong...

Judging people based on their lack of attendance to meets is wrong as well. Or even if they take a break. Power rankings list the best players in order, not enthusiasm.

Not getting better shouldn't matter until they actually start dropping in rankings, losing your PR spot because you're not getting better, but still winning isn't actually encouraging. It's discouraging to know you're losing a spot because you're not getting better, even though you're not losing. As an example, I'll use Tibz. Tibz is an extremely good player, no doubt. He's always winning, no doubt. Though he isn't really improving. It's really hard to improve when you always win. Should tibz lose points because he's getting better? No. He's winning. That's what matters, along with consistency. Even if I'm wrong about "Tibz" not getting better, and he is, who cares? It's an example, if it irks you, and you quote me, use <BLANK> instead.

Playing unorthodox doesn't mean playing better. It just makes you unique. Being unique doesn't warrant preference in rankings. Skill does.

Characters are irrelevent as well. This isn't about who's "the better player" as such, but who's the best. If we used this clause in Sydney, Toby would clearly be Power Ranked first.

I'm not intentionally trying to start some sort of argument, and I'm not going to try and change the way Melbourne does things. However I will say, that your criteria for what "Power Rankings" stand for are wrong. And that in comparison to the definition of Power Rankings, these clearly will not be Power Rankings.

General Skill. (In tournament)
Results.
Consistency.

These are the defining factors of Power rankings.
Completely agree with this...

earla

Smash Lord
General Skill. (in tournament)
Results.
Consistency.

I agree

Attila_

BRoomer
<3 splice, but i don't think afro or i should be degraded for our character of choice. attila, you speak as though you use rubbish characters and mk is the only 'gay' one to single out. you main 2 of the gayest in the game being snake and ic's. when u did try to prove yourself, bragging you'd make top 5 with lucas, you made a royal douchebag of yourself like you do 90% of the time on the boards not even cuttin the top 10 mark.

ahaha im done with this joke, good luck, viva tanman for PR top tier :p
firstly, no one degraded you for your character choice. perhaps you meant to say downgraded. that being said, i do recall that once upon a time you also mained snake, earl, and couldnt muster any of the tournament rankings that i have. further to this, snake has bad matchups (not saying his a bad character or whatever, no one start that please), and i have overcome them through being a superior player. i beat shaya's and cobalt's d3s, despite the mu being ********, and i also take ledge's olimar (65:35 mu) relatively comfortably most of the time. i place where i place not just because i use a good character, but because i am able to overcome bad mus with knowledge and skill, something that you were unable to accomplish when placed in my shoes, and changed to mk to avoid. in fact, nowadays you cant understand how mad mus and stages feel, because you dont have any. and you still lose. gg.

and further, ics are 10th on the tier list. or 16th if you look at the japanese one. good character, many flaws though. lots of bad mus, and ******** stages. oh, and theyre officially the hardest character to use in the game. and general acceptance is that snake is the second. perhaps why you gave up, no?

and finally in regards to the lucas comment, my johns are that i got bracket gayed. sorry for not winning 80:20 mus against gw. that being said, i comfortable beat (at the time) 6 of the top 10 using their mains against my lucas. johns assured, but 100% true.

before you criticize me for not making you number one, take a seat, think about what you're gonna say first, have a look into possible responses, and then post. saves everyone a lot of time and unnecessary flaming. i wasnt having a go at you, i was stating a fact about players in melbourne. period.

how many times has he beaten you? dont be a doosh.

our criteria, not yours. namely it allowed us to exclude players like cobalt from the list, since he really never plays or contributes to the scene in any way these days. if he were to come back...

saying that tibs hasnt improved is saying that melbourne hasnt improved (since no can take him down consistently), which is completely wrong. compare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42_v3il5F1Q

with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zijEtPhp4Ek

havent improved my ***. look before you speak, cause it helps you not to look stupid.

it introduces new things into the scene, allowing other players to also improve. the more the community grows and improves, the more individuals with grow and improve. this is why america and japan are so far above us.

once again, our criteria. if you cant beat me without hard countering my character, youre hardly better. kudos for using multiple characters, but if you cant beat me in neutral mus, i fail you see how you could be better.

However I will say, that your criteria for what "Power Rankings" stand for are wrong.
not sure how many times ive said it, but you dont seem to listen anyway. youre not on the panel. you dont come to our meets regularly. you dont even live in the **** state. our criteria, for our state and our players. not yours.

soz for being harsh, but earl's post put me in a bit of a bad frame.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Also inb4 anyone currently in Japan gets angry,

REMEMBER.

LOVE,
SUNSHINE,
LOLIPOPS
is all that should really matter, and we're all a big happy loving family.

I can concede that Splice should be above Earl, but I do truly hope this wasn't uncontested due to anti-meta knigt bias.

EDIT; OMG I MISSED OUT! :'(
Edit: Lol @ Snake having a match up worse than 60:40 his disadvantage.

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
.... umm Attila, swordsaint was just making an example, he wasnt saying that tibs hasnt improved at all, but moreso bringing up a "what if" statement, which i agree with.

and you saying that Olimar has a 65:35 on snake is completely wrong and is 1 reason i am quitting olimar, he isnt as good as you think he is, the MU is 55:45 maybe 50:50, you just need to learn the MU if you find it so hard, or maybe its just me playing well?

and I actually agree with what swordsaint is saying so i welcome his opinion.

EDIT: also define "Hard to use", if your thinking hard to win with, then no hes not, theres alot of different skills that people can apply in this game, certain chars require more of a certain skill then others.

Attila_

BRoomer
hey shaya, ill let you in on a secret... snake cant punish a missed grab with a 3 frame jab. he has to run away. piss easy mu though.

@ledge: if you pivoted grabbed more, id be in a world of trouble. olimar loses to aerial approaches, which something snake cant do. i used to second him a while ago, if anyone care to remember... if all you did was spam pikmin from afar and pivot grab at the hint of an approach, snake really cant win. find vids of ally verses finolimar or whoever the good ones are. we only wins on like, norfair.

earla

Smash Lord
lol i placed 7th in my first tournament ever with snake after playing him for less than a month. then i mained toon link, link, snake, mk for awhile and found myself enjoying mk the most. simple as that.

considering how well i placed in my first tournament ever, i'd say i would've definately been able to do well as a snake main if i chose to.

Ledge_g2

Smash Ace
hey shaya, ill let you in on a secret... snake cant punish a missed grab with a 3 frame jab. he has to run away. piss easy mu though.

@ledge: if you pivoted grabbed more, id be in a world of trouble. olimar loses to aerial approaches, which something snake cant do. i used to second him a while ago, if anyone care to remember... if all you did was spam pikmin from afar and pivot grab at the hint of an approach, snake really cant win. find vids of ally verses finolimar or whoever the good ones are. we only wins on like, norfair.
Attila, that is old news, ally 3-0 dabuz last time they played, the games where ally lost to dabuz are old and on wifi!, olimar is good on wifi. I remember you secondarying Olimar, I now main snake and used to main olimar. snakes tilts and dashattack are godly against olimar cos of his really slow grab, him not having grab armour, and olimars priority being really low.

Hotdog

Smash Lord
What's taking these power ranking so long to post up... It was supposed to be after the NBA which finished ages ago lol.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
jei is unable to post tonight, so he has sent me the power rankings to post up

and here they are:

1. Dekar
2. Isai
14. Splice
16. Earl
19. Splice

Sieg

Smash Champion
Hahaha.

Implying Wifi is totally viable.

Also I love this thread. More rage needed.

J-Birds

Smash Lord
I'm intrigued to see the final product of these rankings.
I disagree with the criteria but whatever if VIC is happy with it that's what matters.
Seems to be some disputing them within the ranks however =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom