• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VaNz Stuff.. about Peach (Tactical Discussion)

Wake

Smash Master
Just throw the turnip OoS.

Of course this is a subjective solution. If they're in front of you, a normal throw OoS should work (and by work I mean it gets the turnip out of your hand). I've seen Armada jump and throw the turnip down when being pressured. You can also Up-B OoS to get them away from you, and then get rid of the turnip.

If all else fails, just roll away like 10 times (trololololol).
Well I also thought of throwing the turnip oos, but I've noticed that if the other player is too close to you, the turnip will go through them. Up-B oos seems cool too though...

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
The whole issue is getting the turnip out of your hand as effective as possible BUT in a speedy manner. You could jump OoS and then Z-drop it, but now you're in the air with a turnip behind you agaisnt a scary fox/falco.

Even if you whiff the hit, the turnip is out of your hand, you're on solid ground, and you're ready to CC, dash attack, shield, roll, spot dodge, etc. This is why I especially like the Up-B OoS because it knocks them away while also putting you in a comfortable position if you close it and float backwards to safety. Or it could put you on a platform if you're on Yoshi's/Stadium/FoD.

Wake

Smash Master
The whole issue is getting the turnip out of your hand as effective as possible BUT in a speedy manner. You could jump OoS and then Z-drop it, but now you're in the air with a turnip behind you agaisnt a scary fox/falco.

Even if you whiff the hit, the turnip is out of your hand, you're on solid ground, and you're ready to CC, dash attack, shield, roll, spot dodge, etc. This is why I especially like the Up-B OoS because it knocks them away while also putting you in a comfortable position if you close it and float backwards to safety. Or it could put you on a platform if you're on Yoshi's/Stadium/FoD.
Well what I thought was the interesting part is that you don't have to z-drop it. Try it. Hold a turnip in your shield, and then just nair oos like you normally would, and instead, the turnip will drop and hit a close character, and it will drop in front of you, in fact, not behind. hmm I wanna find something creative and cool with this, and then name it! haha :)

MacD

Banned via Administration
it's the same as Z dropping it, R+A = Z

it all just kinda depends on who you are against and stuff, cause Z dropped turnips don't exactly have a lot of priority, so during shield pressure, it's hard to say that it'll help hit

but i normally either just try throwing the turnip OoS or Z drop them. kinda just depends on the situation and the character i'm fighting

Wake

Smash Master
it's the same as Z dropping it, R+A = Z

it all just kinda depends on who you are against and stuff, cause Z dropped turnips don't exactly have a lot of priority, so during shield pressure, it's hard to say that it'll help hit

but i normally either just try throwing the turnip OoS or Z drop them. kinda just depends on the situation and the character i'm fighting
ah of course haha I forgot that it would be the same thing, but if you z-drop it with z, does it end up behind you?

The Irish Mafia

Fair to grab is ****. A lot of peaches game is based around pressure, and it's dumb to limit yourself to only expecting shield stabs from shield pressure strings. Learning to FC to grab gives you plenty more options, seeing as you can set up your offense from a grab as oppose to a dsmash or something.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I usually use FC-fair -> double jab if I'm too far away for a grab, to at least cover my tracks. Otherwise, I FC-Fair -> jab -> grab if they're in shield. I like it a lot, cause it's really effective. I like jab -> grab, too. Any set up Peach has for a grab looks pretty sweet, I think. I just recently started doing dash attack - > grab on fastfallers. Quite sexy.

Also, I've never found myself in shield with a turnip. I don't ever have a reason for it, but I think I tell myself to either float with a turnip, or throw it. And I tell myself to NOT shield.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I usually just smash throw the turnip out of shield. People rarely stay out of range of that, plus I have the option to throw it upward.

eet

Smash Ace
so, What do you guys think are Peach's best options having recovered, hanging on the ledge?

Obviously she has a nice getup attack at lower percentages, and I like to mix it up with jump up to float approach, or just letting go and falling into a sweet spotted up-b to kinda chip at them if they're near the edge.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
@ person with set with leffen

Jab is worthless vs Yoshi.

Its only purpose during pressure strings is to catch jumps out of shield so you can then D-smash them or hold them in place. This is obviously bad vs Yoshi because... Yoshi doesn't have those options.

It's also basically crouch cancel food, and Yoshi has a good crouch cancel game.

I guess for practical advice, be aware that Yoshi's ground stuff has a lot of awkward body contortions; he pulls his body back a lot with his F and U smashes, so he can get some dodge-punish behaviors if you go to attack him so directly. This can be solved by more patience, since he has to do those moves fairly preemptively to counter your aerials but the drawback of "be more patient" is that you don't get anything done. If you don't think you can "out-nothing" him, I suggest using more turnips to initiate, since they're good against grounded defenses but I'm also not sure how they really interact with Yoshi. He seems to have good powershield habits, but he also seems to have to crouch to do it so I think it's fairly telegraphed when it's an option. Moreover, you can fly; I'm sure you can come up with a decent float height where the reflected turnip won't be a problem and where you're still low enough to hit him or start pressure.

He has pretty predictable approach habits. You can probably dash dance > dash attack him through a lot of those Nairs and Fairs. I also think you should use Nair and Bair defensively when you're floating around (especially Bair). Many times you're floating to Fair defensively but he gets close enough to hit his own Fair or whatever because you're so complacent, and then starts a funny Yoshi knockdown tech chase. Using faster aerials defensively will prevent these knockdown. Obviously at further lengths, float Fair is preferable to float Bair... but Fair is too slow if his nose is already pressed against yours. Alternatively, you could empty float > drop when you see him approach. It's actually pretty good because you hit the ground and block / move out of the way and can often get some punishes going with it. It's also less committal and generally a good bait.

Aside from getting too anxious to kill him and hit him when he starts catching up, you're otherwise too rigid and often too complacent. You float to wait for him, but then don't do anything when he actually prepares to attack you. Or you do the same thing for all his ranges.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
I'll try to give you some advice, Paju.

I have had plenty of Yoshi matchup experience here in AZ vs. Vectorman and Angel.

Will post some tips later! :)

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
You just need more patience. You kept getting frustrated. Even though you clearly had the upper hand in both matches, you basically kept giving him stocks, like approaching him when you didn't have to.

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
Play Sheik.

Can we just add that tidbit to like every Peach vs low tier match up?

Edit: cant wait for Mccain to post so I can see his sig trololololol

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I find it easier play Peach than Shiek in that matchup cuz I suck at her cg vs low tiers for some reason.

Oh yea, my Shiek is also horrible lol.

MacD

Play Sheik.

Can we just add that tidbit to like every Peach vs low tier match up?

Edit: cant wait for Mccain to post so I can see his sig trololololol
play sheik against yoshi?

i guess you can, peach has a few good match ups

but my sig for this situation lolol

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Leave Yoshi alone you guys :(

what did the dino ever do to you? :_: *cries*

@leffen's Yoshi.. *sigh* the memories... I see so many of leffen's combo game looks so much similar to mine now.. i'm glad he's taken and adapted to some of the combos I've used... it's nice to see n_n;;;

I <3 you guys n_n

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
It's PAL, Sheik doesn't work on Yoshi that way in that version. I mean, it's still a good matchup, but I think just sticking it out with Peach would be better.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I forgot to say that you should nair more.

Oh yea, don't be intimidated by Yoshi's f-smash. It has a lot of range, but it's not disjointed at all. Ness can GRAB through it. Have you seen Ness' grab range lol?

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
So after looking at the OP, I realized that this was something that wasn't talked about in depth there, and sifting through 370 forum pages doesn't make for a fun morning.

This is really situational, I know, but I can't seem to deal with Falco's combos at all. Once he gets me into one, I lose my pace and everything. Is there a really good way to Di, say, his standard Dair, wavehine, dair, repeat combo? Falco's seem to have so much time to read it, and follow you that it seems almost pointless, but I'll ask anyways. Sometimes, I can get a CC downsmash or a nair out in time, but that's mostly from panic...

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Hold away and pray.

Actually, something cool about Falco is that you can't be legitimately comboed further than Dair > Shine > aerial at super low percents (barring platform interference) even if you fail to DI away on the Shine. After that initial bit, you can usually float or action before his next move. What often happens, though, is that Peach instincts kick in and command you to Nair when he's getting ready to U-tilt and then you get your Nair outprioritized hard and the **** continues.

A huge part of avoiding Falco's combos is resisting the urge to force a Nair through them, particularly when he's below you.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I noticed those flubs vs that SoCal Falco

I think you're generally grounded too much in that MU tbh. I don't like anything that involves Peach waiting on even ground vs Falco because then you're playing to his strengths, which is troublesome.

Though I have to admit... PS D-smash's rewards are really good sometimes.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
So then, why is it bad to try to force a Nair/Downsmash? Does that just put you in a better position for Falco to continue the combo, because you're left open by those moves?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Because you've committed to actions that can easily be beaten by a Falco who hasn't yet.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
So then, why is it bad to try to force a Nair/Downsmash? Does that just put you in a better position for Falco to continue the combo, because you're left open by those moves?
Because down smash doesn't hit above you and that's where Falco's doing his Dairs.

Nair is easy to punish either by shielding it or by beating it if you're a character with a move that can do that (ie. all the top tiers).

eet

Smash Ace
If you see the dair approach coming, try and just wavedash back and downsmash/jab/retreating bair/float and wait , depending on the spacing and situation in reference to the stage and your percentages. Anticipate the lasers and look for openings, falco can lock you down pretty beastly.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Against Falco I try to make him shoot a full jump / platform based laser. Then I drop out of my float immediately and move in to put pressure on him from there.

The Irish Mafia

I hate how useless the weak hits of dash attack are vs falco at low percent. I feel so limited when trying to start my offense vs him. I know what to do, but i just hate how hard it is to get in a good situation vs him.

Top Bottom