• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
How'd Neil and Goggles do? (If they even finished their pools yet)

Hopefully san does well in this tourney, not sure because of the extreme level of competition.

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Did anyone really expect anyone else but san to make it out of pools? Lol.

Good **** for smm1 though.

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
Even with the high attendance at Apex, it feels like the scene for this game is dying. It has nowhere the same level of hype that it used to, and I don't think that even the mk ban is going to help the issue much.

It could be that people are just growing weary through years of playing the smash games (some people may very well have been playing these games regularly for over 10 years now), and, even though the games are different, they are still based on the same concept.

Ah well, maybe the next smash to come out will spark things up a bit. I'm getting old though, haha.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
We have nobody coming into the game, but a lot of people leaving. :|

I WOULD BE SO GOOD AT THIS GAME IF I DIDN'T LIVE IN A SMASH DEAD ZONE. :|

Edit: Congrats to goggles for getting 13th in UMvC3.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
I didn't get out of pools, I'm not ready for the national level yet. I believe I could have done better than I did, but oh well, time to put in some serious training. And to never approach Falco with Wolf again while under 40%. I'm going to blaster camp his *** until I pass that damage threshold from now on xD

The playing conditions for Apex, at least during pools, were pretty poor. There wasn't enough set ups, the venue wasn't big enough, and the stations were way too crowded, which were crowded by players from other pools and not by spectators.

From a spectating aspect though, it was amazing for me.

And Sharky is an amazing driver. I wasn't sure he would get me back to the train station in time, especially after we ran into that traffic jam. But he still managed to, with 15 minutes to spare. I really can't thank you enough for that.

Oh, I also probably typed more words in this single post than I said during the whole trip.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Flaw, I can't thank you and Sam enough for being able to drive me all the way up to Apex. It was still a really fun experience for me, and I enjoyed playing everyone that I played. And thanks for helping me out after I lost my wallet (of all the stupid things). I really appreciate it. :D

And Pyro, thanks for driving us back. Even though I was being annoying. :)

JamesG

Smash Journeyman
I'm ready to play. I'm not nearly as active or as dedicated as I was a year or two back, but I'm still willing to go to tournaments once every 2-3 months or so. Get something going Vibe, lol.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Hello upstate NY people. I attend Hamilton College in Clinton, NY. I think I made a post sometime last year in this thread introducing myself, but I lost interest in smash so I didn't really keep track of this thread. After Apex, I've been more inspired to play this game, mostly b/c of the amazing Japanese showing, and I also got a chance to talk with Sharky who has told me to make my presence known in this thread.

Also Clinton is 1 hour east of Syracuse (I told Sharky I thought I was 1 hour northwest of Syracuse lol) to give you an idea of where I am on the map. If anybody in the area plays smash (brawl) PM me, I'll be willing to play although I do take my school stuff pretty seriously. I'm also pumped for the Utica tourney happening in March, b/c that's the closest event to my location and I'll try my best to make it out there. Look forward to meeting you guys.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Hello upstate NY people. I attend Hamilton College in Clinton, NY. I think I made a post sometime last year in this thread introducing myself, but I lost interest in smash so I didn't really keep track of this thread. After Apex, I've been more inspired to play this game, mostly b/c of the amazing Japanese showing, and I also got a chance to talk with Sharky who has told me to make my presence known in this thread.

Also Clinton is 1 hour east of Syracuse (I told Sharky I thought I was 1 hour northwest of Syracuse lol) to give you an idea of where I am on the map. If anybody in the area plays smash (brawl) PM me, I'll be willing to play although I do take my school stuff pretty seriously. I'm also pumped for the Utica tourney happening in March, b/c that's the closest event to my location and I'll try my best to make it out there. Look forward to meeting you guys.
Nice, I know someone who teaches at Hamilton College. I don't meet up at people's houses to smash but I'm glad that you'll be coming to the tourney I'm hosting. If Chancellor ever comes on again maybe you can meet up with him (he also lives in Utica). Hopefully you may be able to make it out to one of the tournies in Troy sometime as well. :)

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
How many people in the area play smash seriously?
Honestly I can think only think of 4, including myself, and two of us are kinda too young to do smashfests. The other 2 don't spend time on Smashboards but might after the tourney, and anyone atm is probably a casual. There's never been a legit tourney in Utica before posted on Smashboards, so we'll find out how many are actually around after the tourney. There may be some new people that want to take it up seriously, for all I know.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
James G you should come out to a Troy tourney. You're a pretty cool guy and we didn't even smash at AXS 3, so it'd be pretty cool if you made it down to a Troy tourney.

Also, when is smash stuff starting back up? Also, is there any way to smash more than just once a week irl? Not good enough practice.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
James G you should come out to a Troy tourney. You're a pretty cool guy and we didn't even smash at AXS 3, so it'd be pretty cool if you made it down to a Troy tourney.

Also, when is smash stuff starting back up? Also, is there any way to smash more than just once a week irl? Not good enough practice.
You could go meet up with someone from around to here to play with during the weekend or something.

huMps

Smash Ace
Sorry for not making it to smash club last night. I temporarily lost my controler. I know I told a couple of you I'd be there.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
ggs at everyone at curas last night i am still hot as fire and didnt drop a single set as falco in about forty consecutive sets ggs everyone!!!

i will go to events that feature brawl if and only if mk is unbanned otherwise i will definitely attend melee only events in nys in the near future.

i also accept high stakes sets of 7 beacuse thats the only way to make real money and ppl around my skill level or who think they can beat me should accept throw down 20 or 30 bucks and u will see what motivates me

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
ggs at everyone at curas last night i am still hot as fire and didnt drop a single set as falco in about forty consecutive sets ggs everyone!!!

i will go to events that feature brawl if and only if mk is unbanned otherwise i will definitely attend melee only events in nys in the near future.

i also accept high stakes sets of 7 beacuse thats the only way to make real money and ppl around my skill level or who think they can beat me should accept throw down 20 or 30 bucks and u will see what motivates me
But you don't even play Brawl. Why would that even matter to you?

Top Bottom