• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

Acton

Smash Journeyman
Potential to get boring in an awful hurry.

Then again, here's my own Presidential tier list*:

S-tier
Theodore Roosevelt
Andrew Jackson

A-tier
John F. Kennedy
George Washington
Abraham Lincoln
Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Dwight Eisenhower
Thomas Jefferson

B-tier
John Quincy Adams
Harry S. Truman
Ulysses S. Grant
Woodrow Wilson
Barack Obama
James Madison
James K. Polk

C-tier
George H. W. Bush
John Adams
James Monroe
Lyndon B. Johnson
Bill Clinton
Ronald Reagan
Calvin Coolidge
Rutherford B. Hayes

D-tier
Grover Cleveland
William McKinley
James Garfield
Gerald R. Ford
Warren G. Harding
Benjamin Harrison
Martin Van Buren
Richard Nixon

E-tier
George W. Bush
Andrew Johnson
Zachary Taylor
John Tyler
Millard Fillmore

F-Tier
Herbert Hoover
Franklin Pierce
William Howard Taft
James Buchanan
William Henry Harrison

*Note that rankings are not based on political leaning, but historical ******ery.
FDR = S tier! The guy was in a wheel chair due to polio ffs, and he kept it well hidden from the public, and he was the first president to speak on television! He was in office for four terms! The guy lead us through WWII, AND the Great Depression! He was the first president to have a presidential aircraft!

AND he repealed prohibition!

Most epic president EVER!

I used to live in his hometown, Hyde Park NY xD

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
I have a feeling this may spark controversy - But Obama definitely shouldn't be that high. Being the first Black President doesn't have much on some of the stuff guys below him did. Clinton was one of the best presidents financially, but his second term was riddled with his scandalous affairs.

At the very least, Reagan should be higher than him. Reagan ended the Cold War - A forty some-odd year affair with the USSR. The man BROKE the USSR. He's a beast. And he thought of Star Wars, the laser missile defense system. And he was in crappy movies. Reagan > Obama, for sure.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
I have a feeling this may spark controversy - But Obama definitely shouldn't be that high. Being the first Black President doesn't have much on some of the stuff guys below him did. Clinton was one of the best presidents financially, but his second term was riddled with his scandalous affairs.

At the very least, Reagan should be higher than him. Reagan ended the Cold War - A forty some-odd year affair with the USSR. The man BROKE the USSR. He's a beast. And he thought of Star Wars, the laser missile defense system. And he was in crappy movies. Reagan > Obama, for sure.
Personally, I think we should wait until the end of Obama's term until we rank him.

x13mako

Smash Ace
Lincoln was also pretty ******, and he's certainly high up, but he is no Washington, Kennedy, or Roosevelt. It's a tough call, honestly, as he was our tallest president and scared a man away from a duel with a ****ing broadsword, but ultimately his penchant for corny jokes and awkwardly nasal voice make him slightly less ****** than those higher on the tier list.
When you think of presidents you either think of Lincoln, Washington, or FDR. Lincoln's the freaking Citizen Kane of presidents.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
I think that list is actually pretty good as is, tbh.

I'd put Woodrow Wilson higher but his fourteen points didn't really lead anything to be successful.

Spamus43

Smash Journeyman
Reagan did not "end" the Cold War, Reagan was simply present when the Cold War ended. And isn't Star Wars pretty roundly criticized as a ******** idea?

Tomato

Smash Journeyman
Reagan did not "end" the Cold War, Reagan was simply present when the Cold War ended. And isn't Star Wars pretty roundly criticized as a ******** idea?
Well yeah, Reagan had no concept of reality, and that such a system was impossible to produce. However it still managed to scare the Russians. Reagan's time in office definitely hastened the end of the USSR. It was really Gorbachev's doing, but Reagan certainly didn't do anything to prolong it.

Sheth

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shethblade
3DS FC
4639-8959-1952
So I open this thread, and see history.

WTF, I am not amused. This thread needs more awesome.
-Currently searching for images

NightroGlycerine

Smash Journeyman
Barack Obama:
-Passed a health care reform bill
-Passed a financial reform bill
-Saved the U.S. Economy with stimulus bill
-Used stimulus bill to pour $100 billion into nation's infrastructure (the biggest infrastructural investment since Eisenhower)
-Invested $60 billion in renewable energy resources
-Increased budgets for NASA and NSF
-Expanded states children's health insurance
-Amended the 1964 Civil Rights Act to ensure equal pay
-Signed nuclear arms deal with Russia
-Passed Hate Crimes Prevention Act
-Permitted the FDA to regulate tobacco
-Dismantled the Mineral Management Service, preventing further corruption from oil companies
-Fired two wartime generals
-Overhauled the Student Loan System

... all in under two years.

Not to mention his intentions to close Guantanamo (he's working on it, but no one wants to foot the bill), and repealing Don't-Ask-Don't-Tell.

I'd say, he's been doing, at least, some things that make him qualify for B-tier. Also, he won the presidency, while being a black man.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Id actually be down for sailor moon.

@ spamus. yea, pikapika has been winning melee tourneys since like 03. and Kelvin opened Arena 51 and started holding tourneys there I think in 04.

But from the original group of melee kids that played way back in the day back then, (it was before even my time) neil's the only one that still plays.

lastly, I call sailor pluto

huMps

Smash Ace
obama/bush 2 worst presidents our country has ever back to back! truth. bush put us in more dept than any any other president in history by far and expanded government to about 3 times the size it was when he was inaugurated, which is the opposite of being conservative. obama trumped that with putting us in more debt than all the previous presidents combined, and dips into the private sector and lies about taking us out of the war and puts more troops in than have ever been put in at once, excluding the initial surge. . . politics suck bottom line.

Prawn

Smash Master
Barack Obama:
-Used stimulus bill to pour $100 billion into nation's infrastructure (the biggest infrastructural investment since Eisenhower)
-Dismantled the Mineral Management Service, preventing further corruption from oil companies

... all in under two years.

Not to mention his intentions to close Guantanamo (he's working on it, but no one wants to foot the bill), and repealing Don't-Ask-Don't-Tell.

I'd say, he's been doing, at least, some things that make him qualify for B-tier. Also, he won the presidency, while being a black man.
This entire post is ********.

roflmaocopter

Prawn

Smash Master
Excuse me? Where the **** did I say that? Thank you for telling me exactly what I would have done based on nothing I wrote or said ever.

Here's a better idea: Not let banks get away with the bull**** in the first place. Obama didn't invent the idea of bailing out industries, are you honestly that ****ing naive?

The thing that pisses me off most about Obama is that when Bush was in office I'd be ****ed if I didn't here every ****ing day about all the dieing soldiers and all the tragedy in the world, but now that Jesus H. Obama is in office we mine as well have our heads up our ***** on current events.

Let me address of few of the "great things" Obama has done according to you.

We still haven't seen this in action so you can't list this as a success. Even if it is extremely successful it just means further overpopulation and a decrease in medical care for those that need it while we all pay for the elderly who should be dead anyway.

Wow, groundbreaking, no president has ever done this.

He didn't save ****, we're still in a recovery and you're dumb if you say otherwise.

He also poured a ton of wasted funds into a bunch of private interests.

ZOMGZ. Groundbreaking. I have an idea, lets make cars fly, SEE HOW INNOVATIVE I AM. NOT LIKE THIS WAS BOUND TO HAPPEN BASED ON POPULAR OPINION.

Actually he scrapped many of NASA's plans but nice try.

Don't even know what this is referring to

For who? Minorities? And under his policies it will most likely extend to illegal immigrants(who don't pay taxes).

Again, no one has ever done anything like this before *rolls eyes*

Don't know anything about this, hooray he signed an act preventing hate crimes. What a bold stance.

I am fairly certain the FDA already regulated tobacco. Even if thats not true I don't think more regulation is necessarily a good thing

It would have been nice if he had done this **** before the entire gulf was ****ed up

How is this a good thing?

You mean put it on the federal budget aka more wasted money we're spending

........nah bro hes b-tier for sure

ggs cp? i ban liberal idealism

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
The fact that obama because the first president in the history of this country that wasnt a christian white man, makes him better than bush before he did anything.

and on that note, the politics discussion here is over.

The only politics that will be going on in this thread is

1. who is king of the region. (clearly its me.)
2. How much better our region is than others, specifically prawn's.

Prawn

Smash Master
The fact that obama because the first president in the history of this country that wasnt a christian white man, makes him better than bush before he did anything.

that has nothing to do with anything and is exactly the kind of ******** naivety that breeds in modern day politics.

Prawn

Smash Master
OH WAIT. the expanded childrens health insurance refers to the new policies allowing teens to stay on their parents insurance until they are 26 rather than 21 or whatever?

oh great, more people put into an already crowded and broken system.

rofl that list was awful

Prawn

Smash Master
also I'd like to note that the same day obama received the nobel peace price he sent another wave of troops into combat areas.

lmaoooooooo

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
just means that it shows that racism isnt as over arching, and blatent and overbearing as it used to be. tho it still clearly exists. But that means more to me than anything bush did.

Like I said. this discussion is over.

Back to how much Prawn sucks and how he would have lost a Fox vs IC money match vs me had we not gotten kicked off a tv.

Maybe if he knew as much about Smash as he did about the governement, he might be worth something in the game... =P

Prawn

Smash Master
yeah lets def bring stuff up from the first 3 months i played this game *rolls eyes*

TheGeneral

Smash Journeyman
Yo, GTFO of here with your angsty teenager ****. Yes people ****-ride Obama, but it's not like there aren't mobs of people that hate everything he does for the most trivial reasons and who continuously ***** about it without doing anything proactive.

He's actually accomplished a fair amount, so nit-picking his every achievement just validates the fact that they are impacting all of our lives. Jesus christ, isn't there another forum on this site for that ****?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
yeah lets def bring stuff up from the first 3 months i played this game *rolls eyes*
Would you rather I talk about how you got would have lost as ICs to Captain Falcon after you got shield broken, it it werent for a lucky AI moment working in your favor?

Prawn

Smash Master
What was angsty about my post? you put words in my mouth and I simply proved that which you can't disprove, that Obama is a below average president. Plain and simply.

What parts of my reasoning would you call "trivial?". And if impacting lives makes you a great person then I guess Hitler was the greatest man of all time.

You are really uneducated about politics and should just stop now.

Prawn

Smash Master
Would you rather I talk about how you got would have lost as ICs to Captain Falcon after you got shield broken, it it werent for a lucky AI moment working in your favor?
vs a player whos beaten high level metaknights and other top tiers, in a friendly no less.

you play allys captain falcon with your trash non viable characters and tell me how it goes :laugh:

you are bad at trash talk rofl

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
lol @ my trash characters.

I can play trash characters cus im smart enough to make them work, as opposed to just jumping for broken grabs all day and still losing.

feel free to G@Me at any time you see fit.

TheGeneral

Smash Journeyman
What was angsty about my post? you put words in my mouth and I simply proved that which you can't disprove, that Obama is a below average president. Plain and simply.

What parts of my reasoning would you call "trivial?". And if impacting lives makes you a great person then I guess Hitler was the greatest man of all time.

You are really uneducated about politics and should just stop now.
I don't have to put words in your mouth because you have your foot stuck in it for large periods of time. And by "Angsty" I mean writing a wall of rebuttals to an argument that clearly has nothing to do with you (and a terrible one at that) in a forum for talking about video games.

I am fairly certain the FDA already regulated tobacco. Even if thats not true I don't think more regulation is necessarily a good thing.
Lol, I'm uneducated about politics . Excellent rebuttal, sir. Please carry on.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
I don't remember there ever being a smashfest on a Wednesday... besides Jesiah's place always being fun.

huMps

Smash Ace
ya . . . well if the you guys are playing at jesse's and want some link and mario/doc practice hit me up. 5854022229

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
just give foy a call whenever you want to head over there and hell let you know what the deal is.

1 315 651 1602

speaking of which, im about to head over there right now and see whats up. ill catch yall later.

Acton

Smash Journeyman
I've got a very important announcement that just might take our region to the next level as far as brawl is concerned.

Well everyone knows that the tristate area is one of the best areas in the country as far as brawl is concerned. It's a shame that our region isn't able to travel more often to the nyc/nj area due to travel cost and lack of funds.

Well for rochester/syracuse its no longer much of a problem! May I introduce the MEGABUS!

megabus.com

One way from syracuse to nyc is 28$! AND FREE WIFI! I looked up the schedule and they have 3 departures a day from the regional transportation center from syracuse, and its like only 4 hrs and 45mins!

With this we can also potentially hype of SS3 and possibly use this to travel part way to apex!

Spamus43

Smash Journeyman

@ spamus. yea, pikapika has been winning melee tourneys since like 03. and Kelvin opened Arena 51 and started holding tourneys there I think in 04.

But from the original group of melee kids that played way back in the day back then, (it was before even my time) neil's the only one that still plays.

This is an interesting history lesson and all Goggles, but I'm not quite sure you know what a century is.

Top Bottom