• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up-10.04 Matching Your Sonic Game to your opponent's play style

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Legend:Updated,Older Posting
Current Discussion:
10.04.08: Ok so this thread didn't start in the direction I intended, but maybe it's good we covered Sonic play styles first. What I really want to see happen now is someone brings to the table A PERSON who they are struggling when playing against. Provide the username, the character they use and a brief description of the problem. From there we have two options:

Wifi Option: If this person plays online then other Sonic Mains can challenge them and it can be discussed what works and what doesn't work. Keep in mind that the physics and properties of brawl characters are the same online as offline, so while certain strategies might not work as well... we can still demonstrate what you should hope to achieve.

Offline Option: Mostly this will be a more indirect approach since we won't necessarily be able to play against that specific person.

We should have no problem handling multiple players at once so don't hesitate to bring another player to the table. I'll do my best to play people and record matches (when wifi related) and I will be bringing some of my own opponents to the table for everyone to help me with.

Above all else, please do not turn this into a flame/junk topic and respect the problems that other Sonic players are having. Remember that everyone is not at the same playing level, and if someone wants to improve they have to be open to constructive criticism.

Original Post: This is thread is a response to Tenki's Learn to Player Thread. This thread will also have a similar feel toJaybee's Lab. so if anyone feels I'm being redundant, be aware that I have thought this threw and that I do not create new threads very often.

I haven't bothered updating the Sonic guide much lately and I'm starting to think that one of the topics I had been working on in it deserves its own thread to improve quality discussion.

I would like to see two things happen through this thread:
1) We generate a list and summary of various opponent play styles and how to best handle them.

2) If a Sonic main is having issues with a specific opponent (and that opponent is comfortable playing online*) they can request that other Sonic mains attempt to play this person. Videos or even discussion can the allow for everyone to see how the situation is best handled.

The lack of well known/good Sonic mains at the tournament scene is slowing the advancement of Sonic's game. If we can get this going I believe that we can really help increase everyone's knowledge of how to play proactive as Sonic against opponents.

Example: I played Matador's Mario a couple weeks ago. He told me that I played extremely different from Tenki (which is very true) and that my Sonic appeared to use tilts more to punish his short hop approaches. Matador made it very clear that Tenki and I played "different." My different was better suited to fight his Mario.

So someone post right now with an idea for a fighting style or the name of a specific brawler that they want other Sonic mains to attempt to fight and we can go from there.

*I am fully aware that online has its difference from offline. The fact remains that in general the physics of Brawl and properties of attacks remain the same.

---------------------

Jaybree's Sonic Fighting Styles (open for improvement):

Combo type: This kind of Sonic plays very agressively, aiming to get the most out of all of his attacks to extend the combo as much as possbile. because of this they tend to overextend themselves, which can lead to disaster, more so then the other types. Though they can kill faster, the chance of making errors increase, meaning they may be killed just as fast.

Ground type this kind of Sonic player loves tilts, Jabs, Dash A, and Spins. These types tend to be really good with footsies, and have a keen eye for when to dodge, making them more difficult to grab. The only problem is, that this takes lots of skill, since Sonic's close up game is not great due to low priority.

Air type: These Sonic players are very skilled in particular with the Spring Jump, the ASC and its mixups, as well as having an advanced recovery set. it is harder to kill these Sonics than others, due to thier tendancy to Spring jump, or Spin Shot to safety. They use this to close the gap and initiate combos as well, revolving around the aerials. they will mix up with ASC>grab to keep you honest. However, the weakness of this is that predictability must be kept very low, or you may get punished severly once you land. In addition, Sonic is more vulnerable in the air in most cases due to lack of priority and his slow fall speed. though this player knows that and can nullify this to an extent, the issue still remains.

Grappler type: These Sonics use grabs, pummels and throws as thier primary offense, switching to other moves like smashes to mix it up. they understand sonic's speed well, and use it to close the gap quickly to punish on lag. After the throw, they are very solid at techchasing for more grabs, and mixing them up with smashes to keep the opponent honest. The one thing to really worry about, is that if the opponent takes the aerial approach to counter or plays keepaway often, then this sonic player cannot capitiolize as much, and must resort to other tactics. In addition, this type is very stage dependant.

Edge type: Once this Sonic player gets an opponent of the ledge, it become very difficult for the opponent to get back on, despite percentage. Sonic is a good gimper, but this player makes him annoyingly so. He is very solid in all edgegaurding tactics, from instant edgehog to Dair Spike> Homing attack, as well as wall bouncing and teching to prevent getting spiked himself. He goes for grapples near the edge, in hopes of stage spikes often, and is just as knowledgable with recovery as an air type. he is also equally as good getting back after getting knocked off, but in a more defensive manner than the Air type. if the opponent stays in the middle of the stage and is good at keepaway, then this type has issues.

Punish type: This is more of a balanced sonic, that utilizes his speed, and is very good with mindgames to create an opening for himself, rather then waiting for the opponent to make an unforced one. Once this Sonic gets it, he makes the most of it, with all of his moves. This one is very adapatble, defensive one moment, and agressive at any moment. because he uses many of his moves multiple times to punish, like the bair or the Fsmash, this weakens the attacks when its time for the kill. But this type is good at using most if not all methods of KOing to compensate.

Camper type: This Sonic can be considered the "slowest" of the Sonic types due to its more patient playstyle. It utilizes a lot of bairs, f tilts, and other movements to outmanuver and make the opponent commit unforced errors, which will lead into more subsequent damage from combos, throws, etc. This may not work if the opponent can get Sonic off balance with thier offence well, either by using overwhelming offense (MK) or an annoying projectile game (ROB) But against characters that need to get closer, sonic can use this style to his advantage and dictate the flow of the match and time. you will see many empty jumps, Foxtrorts, and other movements the use sonics dash to play outside of the opponents maximum range, forceing them to advance, or become very campy themselves, allowing the Sonic to slowly pick them apart.

Now what I propose is, based on this info (which can be altered; its not set in stone aka plz comment) is that we send in vids or we look at vids of Sonic players as a whole, and determine from them what thier primary types are, in a 1,2,3 format. meaning, you could be a " Ground/Grapple/Edge" type, which would mean you are very dependant on your ground game, and may need to balance it with your aerial game, or maybe a "Grapple/Punish/Combo" type, which would sorta mean that if you are really good at forcing you opponent into mistakes, and making them pay in almost any situation.

Current Cases:
I may have 1... A Tink.. we played 2 matches... he won... last stock both over 100%
I'll see kf he's game DNes
He spaces and traps well... very good up close and faster kill moves w/more power. But i think i'd win next time
Kingace, Metaknight, F/B-air camp; D-smash as punisher/setup for off-stage kill with shuttleloop.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2-Sc1S8ms4
Yet im finding a particularly good Ike their Peter (PTown) who is superb at the game in general. He outreads and outspaces (but that is due to his mastery of attacking and the longest reach of anyone...).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghmfkqZcI9w
I find him to be very analytical. He is nearlyo mute in person, but watches everyone to gauge them. My go-go-go Sonic doens't fair to well against him. I find approaching him difficult. When i actually pull off my perfect shields, the match is definatley in my favor, but otherwise.... he builds up the damage and has the knockback to pwn me. Their are other vids from zcasanova of Peter (PTown on smashboards) doing much the same thing

Resolved Cases:

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I agree with that on the styles issue.

I play somewhat similar to Tenki apparently (as master Raven said) but the playstyle I use works more effectively apparently.

Hmm but it kinda feels suited to character matchup discussion in a way.

Tenki

Smash Hero
@dnes
Khaos said something about your B-air spacing being effective against his aerial playstyle.
Considering that there was mention in the past of using tipper B-airs to hit things like GAW and MK, that might be good vs aerial characters.

I'm a really ground-based player (grabs, feints, etc), and it works pretty decently on slower characters and people with laggy moves or bad dodge/roll habits.

edit:
With a ground-based playstyle, it's more like "camp the landings with grabs/long attacks".

Yours seemed to be more aerial-based against aerial characters, from what Khaos said, and I guess that works against some characters, hm?

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Fighting Style: I'll dub it Sonic X (reminicent of the Anime Sonic, lol) In that, in general, to stop people from ever gauging my Sonic, i stay on the move, lots of feinting, empty short hopping, and AT to mix it up further (empty spinshots anyone?) I would say Athinus uses it a lot. He makes Sonic appear "fast" when he plays him, lol.
I do find this particularly effective against players who tend to be aggressive. Just a lot of mixing it up and they don't quite know how to handle it, and they know that should they shield, a grab combo is coming, rofl. One of my favorites vs a decent Marth is to run towards him>side b(to which, i either cancel and again approach, retreat, whatever best suits the situiation) but vary the length of the charge>thwack him. If he tries to DB me, i use the invincibility on the hop to go through, and he just never seems to know what im up to. I beat him almost every time since he thwacked me the first time i entered the weekly tournement there. I admit its his lack of experience with "good" Sonic's, but it doesn't change the fact its effective.

Edit: Yet im finding a particularly good Ike their Peter (PTown) who is superb at the game in general. He outreads and outspaces (but that is due to his mastery of attacking and the longest reach of anyone...).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghmfkqZcI9w
I find him to be very analytical. He is nearlyo mute in person, but watches everyone to gauge them. My go-go-go Sonic doens't fair to well against him. I find approaching him difficult. When i actually pull off my perfect shields, the match is definatley in my favor, but otherwise.... he builds up the damage and has the knockback to pwn me. Their are other vids from zcasanova of Peter (PTown on smashboards) doing much the same thing

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Interesting thread and very good idea. Our playstyles vary so much, and even our ideas about match-ups, that a thread like this could be highly effective in helping Sonic mains as a whole grow. Like for example, a couple of us Sonics consider Olimar to be one of the hardest, if not THE hardest matchup. While others consider it to be a relatively easy or even matchup. If we could learn from eachother and apply aspects of eachothers gameplay to our own, I think as a community we could get alot better.

My playstyle: Inconsistent. Lol. Partly due to not having my wii with me all the time, partly due to my scrubiness, my playstyle isn't consistent enough for me to call myself truly good yet. Sometimes, especially when I'm losing a match, I'll just spring to Dair all the time, like the nub that I am. My timing will be sloppy, I'll be grabbed out of approaches. I don't think anyone here has gotten the chance to play me when I feel like I'm giving it my best, except for a match or two.

When I'm playing well:
Sideb cancels galore. It helps me space and perfect shield everything. I use dthrow alot and tech chase like crazy. I shuffle bairs alot as well. I use spinshot as an approach only against certain chars. I do alot of useless running.

I love killing with a turnaround cancelled fsmash. I'm also very effective with SDRs. I use them only from a safe distance at which they will at worst clang with my enemies attacks. Oh and uair juggling.

My spacing on the ground is pretty mediocre, but in the air it rocks. I have a bit of trouble landing ASCs sometimes, but have been better since I tried pulling it back as i charged it.

I use SideB invincibility frames alot for mindgames. let myself be hit out of it sometimes, then pwn powerful attacks with it.

I know that not all perfectly on topic, but yea.

Perfect shield everything. It will up your sonic game immensely.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Invincible moves+Long range moves=the staples of my playstyle!

But seriously, my playstyle useually involves tearing through my opponent's attacks, rather than simply attacking while...they're not. Sonic actually does have some amazing range on his uair, bair, f-tilt, and f-smash, all of which I use as spacing tools. Up smash and uair are my primary aerial approach stoppers/juggle traps (Up smash invincibility ftw), and for aerial spacing I rely a lot on bair. Though I may be a very aerial based player (with the exception of up smash), I use Sonic's running speed as my primary method of spacing myself, so I guess you could say my most comfortable fighting zone would be in the area between a short hop and a full hop.

I use up B as a combo breaker a lot, and normally I don't get punished for it (because I'm generally good with using the spring as cover while I get down), and I also use it for edgeguarding more often than going of the stage for edgeguards (though for that I useually rely on dair or fair). I very rarely use spinshot at all really.

Oh...and screechstopping is too good.

Umby

Smash Master
Well, if I had to analyze my style:

My tilt usage is a bit less practical and less frequent than most Sonic players. I use ftilt mostly while walking to throw the opponent's reaction to my approaches. Dtilt is my tool to force players to make a decision about how they approach me, which I attempt to shut down accordingly. Occasionally do I use them for the purpose of spacing.

I'm a mindgame whore. If I feel that I can't hit you on my approach, I'll try my hardest to fake you out until I do, even if that means running past you a couple of times. It also means I don't try as hard as other Sonics to follow up on a lot of my moves, but rather I make a pause in offense to keep them guessing on my next move.

If you've ever seen SK92's Falco and how he jumps when he uses SHL, I often use the same technique to lead into my Spin Charges, Fsmashes, and sometimes my grabs. It projects the facade of an aerial approach to create a hole (shield drops or the opponent rolls in front of you) in the opponent's defense. Basically it's a short hop forward then drifting back.

I love screechstop dancing.

I don't love Homing Attack. I use it while recovering, both for distance as well as an offensive defense against edgeguarding, but that's generally about it. I rarely try and gimp with it, unless it's against Peach/Dedede.

My grab/throw style focuses less on fluid follow ups (as stated before about my general offense) and more on positioning myself for another grab, such uthrow -> run away -> run back -> grab -> uthrow.

I guess that's about it. ._.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Hmm...

I use Down B spindash/running ---> Aerial stuff. A lot. I'm very much an air Sonic. Spinshot also plays a big part in my approach, especially if someone is spamming a projectile or I'm trying to mix things up.

Up + B is one of my favourite moves for breaking combos and also for retreating if in danger

If I'm close, I normally jab or depending on my distance, I'll walk up to someone and F Tilt them. Sometimes I'll just run away and then quickly run back with a Fair/Dash attack

...I don't really know what else to say :urg:

Haro Savion

Smash Rookie
Actually, My Sonic is rather...odd.

I use a Sonic Annoyance. Yes, that's right. I pretty much platform to hell, even on Final Destination, and I mostly keep moving while usually airborne. I also use the Shield Roll frequently over a regular shield, then Grab/throw you. Most likely I'll chain it to a Charged down B in the air while holding a side button to rack damage, then Uair. As I'm doing somersaults and flips around you and you try and catch me, I'll usually Shield to Dair, and maybe a dash bluff, then down c stick. I actually use his speed, too. I also sometimes lure you/force you to the edge, Spindash/Homing/Side Smash/D Smash/Back throw/Down throw you off it, then combo you until you can't recover and you fall. Like, I'd usually Side Air you(The spinning headbutt), Homing Attack, and Dair your recovery, most likely an edgegrab too. If you are a noob, you'll get annoyed, just making my flips better. I also tend to C stick to get you off a lot, usually down C stick.

I pretty much dance around you, then at any opportunity I get, I rack up serious damage/get you off the edge/KO.

Also Box, I'll play you because I think I'm a Sonic who can compete with you >_>. 0216-0689-0232.

Chis

Finally a legend
NNID
ArcadianPirate

I use a Sonic Annoyance. Yes, that's right. I pretty much platform to hell, even on Final Destination, and I mostly keep moving while usually airborne. I also use the Shield Roll frequently over a regular shield, then Grab/throw you. Most likely I'll chain it to a Charged down B in the air while holding a side button to rack damage, then Uair. As I'm doing somersaults and flips around you and you try and catch me, I'll usually Shield to Dair, and maybe a dash bluff, then down c stick. I actually use his speed, too. I also sometimes lure you/force you to the edge, Spindash/Homing/Side Smash/D Smash/Back throw/Down throw you off it, then combo you until you can't recover and you fall. Like, I'd usually Side Air you(The spinning headbutt), Homing Attack, and Dair your recovery, most likely an edgegrab too. If you are a noob, you'll get annoyed, just making my flips better. I also tend to C stick to get you off a lot, usually down C stick.

I pretty much dance around you, then at any opportunity I get, I rack up serious damage/get you off the edge/KO.

Also Box, I'll play you because I think I'm a Sonic who can compete with you >_>. 0216-0689-0232.
(Wait for Memphischains...)

:071:

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
I actually play alot like Umby. Mindgames, son.
Alot of ASC canceling, spindash shield canceling, spinshot into one of the previously stated. Basically, faking the opponent out until the opportune moment to strike.
Though this unfortunately does not work against Sonic, or anyone who has a remote idea of how to play effectively with him.

I also seem to love incorporating the stage. I am a wall fiend. Back throw into wall followed into f-smash is my favorite. Stages like Pictochat, PokeStadium1, and Corneria are my favorite.

memphischains

Smash hhkj'

I don't even have to say anything. If anyone actually read that, it's pretty obvious to the reader that this kid is ********.
I really hope you stfu and don't post again, it's more for your sake than ours. This is like KASR 2.0

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I'm always on the assault, I give my opponent little to no chance to catch their breath.

When I start off the fight I'm going to do a few things: The most simple thing is just a Spin Charge, which projectile users I (really have to incorperate spinshot into my game more) just do empty fullhop approaches, or if I feel confident I'll use fair before I get the landing lag to push them aside. Another thing I might do is just run up to my opponent and dash attack -> insert appropriate follow-up here, and if my dash attack happens to miss I'll either jab or Ftilt if my opponent doesn't punish me then.

I'm a real ground hog, the only time you will find me in the air is if I pushed you up there with my spin attacks to follow up with an aerial move, or if I need to Spring Jump for a C-c-c-combo Breaker!!!, followed by a Dair to another aerial assault if Dair connects. I might use the same Spring Jump to reach up to my opponents and land an aerial move that will most likely kill/push away, like Uair for star-ko's, BoxobBairs for major horizontal distance/kills, and Fair when I assume neither of the two will kill and I just want to get up in damage/punish airdodgers. I also like to use the spring as my method of gimp kills offstage, most of the time I'll never go off the stage for kills unless I know I can land a Fair or a BoxobBair to push them away to their doom.

Speaking of Homing Attack, I will usually use this if I happen to miss my opponent after a Spin Charge/Side-B and I jump into the air. I LOVE it when they think I'm going to go back into the ground and they charge up some kind of smash but instead I use it when they aren't expecting HA, otherwise I can't see any real use for it (although I sometimes do something I call a "Manhunter" where I won't stop spamming HA until I get punished for it, or my opponent gets hit by it, suprisingly it works a lot of the time, they don't expect me to constantly use HA!)

That's about all I can say about my Sonic, anything else I do is too much on instinct and even I can't recall what I do naturally. I'm a predator Hedgehog!

Tenki

Smash Hero
I would like to see two things happen through this thread:
1) We generate a list and summary of various opponent play styles and how to best handle them.

2) If a Sonic main is having issues with a specific opponent (and that opponent is comfortable playing online*) they can request that other Sonic mains attempt to play this person. Videos or even discussion can the allow for everyone to see how the situation is best handled.

The lack of well known/good Sonic mains at the tournament scene is slowing the advancement of Sonic's game. If we can get this going I believe that we can really help increase everyone's knowledge of how to play proactive as Sonic against opponents.

Example: I played Matador's Mario a couple weeks ago. He told me that I played extremely different from Tenki (which is very true) and that my Sonic appeared to use tilts more to punish his short hop approaches. Matador made it very clear that Tenki and I played "different." My different was better suited to fight his Mario.

So someone post right now with an idea for a fighting style or the name of a specific brawler that they want other Sonic mains to attempt to fight and we can go from there.

*I am fully aware that online has its difference from offline. The fact remains that in general the physics of Brawl and properties of attacks remain the same.

---------------------

Fighting Styles

Current Discussion
I really have a feeling that we went off topic on this one.

Bringing it back to his example, I mentioned that I play a grounded/grabby Sonic. Matador mentioned that dNES played more of an aerial-spacing with B-air, so putting the two together, it was probably more of 'spacing' with tilts/b-air. Matador played a very aerial Mario.

And, similar to how a certain matchup discussion went along, I went about even with his Mario, playing from a grounded standpoint. dNES says his style was better suited to fight Matador's Mario.

That said, against a constantly shorthopping opponent (or maybe only Mario), it might really be more suitable to shorthop B-air/tilt-camp their approaches.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
I know everyone has their own playstyle, but..

Why is everyone like, " GRAAAGH! I MUST PRESSURE THE OPPONENT 100% OF THE MATCH AND USE MY SPINY AIR STRIKE MOVES THAT SUCK BALLS ALL THE TIME!"

When playing offline, I'm like the most relaxed Sonic player ever. If the opponent doesn't have a projectile, that bitch is approaching me.
I'm also probably the slowest Sonic player ever. My game isn't all "HAI LETS RUN AL OVUR TEH STAGE LOLOLOL", the only time I run is to approach. 90% of my approaches are grabs. I can't help it, I have some sort of obssession.
But yeah, if the opponent is having to approach, I just space with tilts. I am ALL about playing safe. I guarentee I use dtilt and utilt more than any of you, ftilts probably one of my least used moves actually.
I'm also not at all inclined to use Sonic's AT's unless they're necessary. Seriously, the only non-obvious moves that I use from game to game with Sonic are ASC shield cancel and spindash shield cancel.

I think my whole playstyle can be put into a snippet of a Sonic Sez:

"...play it safe! Use your head, don't end up dead."

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I concur ROOOOY!, If you refer to the Sonic Sez from Lovesick Sonic (The sexual harassment Sonic Sez)...well just watch the video and it sums it up for itself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jSKyWSvNgg

Now with that said, have you ever noticed that when certain characters in Brawl grab Sonic and use the pummel attack they poke him in a funny place?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9MjCkxDuag

For example, skip to 7:05 of this video and you'll see why Sonic Sez doesn't apply to today's economy... the show was great but it's as old as I am if not more.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
nah. my sonic is defencive..

i only attack when i see oppenings, if i use aerials i make sure i am behind the opponent so they cant grab punish. usually when i land a hit it ends up being a chain of consecutive hits. i space them into the air and start fairing, bairing, ASCing, HA. Sonic's sheild, cancellable moves, and speed is just too good to not play defencive)

waiting on the ground and doing walk away fsmashes, screech stop fsmashes.

i tend to stay low to ground, but i try to abuse sonics air and ground moves equally. side-b cancels into grabs, ASC sheild cancels, jump into fair into bair, those are some of my favorite initial attacks because they are sonics least punishable moves.

my main problems are snakes that sit and tilt, or hold sheild and blow up. (to be fair, i am just bad against snake in general because i never pay attention to those **** remote mines)
G&W is a difficult opponent for me, because his attacks always seem to be out, and out priority my attacks. I have to usually stay out of his range, and try to time attacks right when his retract. feels like walking on egg-shells when i fight him.

my style seems to fight pretty well against MK, peach, and olimar. Fsmash, ASC, and HA seem to work well against MK. ASC shuts out a lot of things with olimar. peach i guess just may be like ike vs sonic, not that difficult in general.

I think play style would have a big effect on fighting Yoshi. because some games i shut yoshi out, and others i do terrible.

I am looking for insight into styles/moves that would do well against yoshi, wario, snake, G&W

aeghrur

Smash Champion
I truly don't have a playstyle right now. It's still building at the moment... lol. I need to actually play someone. Dx

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Haha, I love all the replies guys and I glanced over most of them... but really I wanted to focus on general brawl fighting styles and what game plans Sonic can implement against them.

I'm really hoping my one friend will hop online tonight so I can show you his marth. He is extremely good at spacing... at least against me and we've been playing regularly for the last few months and his game has really stepped up. He went from always spot dodging as I approached... which any Sonic Main would love to deal with to short hopped nairs and advancing fairs that force me to do something instead of simply retreating. Even implementing foxtrot pivot is difficult to use successfully against him.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Fresh start. PLAYSTYLE 1!

edit: y halo there! XD

---------------------

Fighting Styles

Current Discussion
Let's try...
KingAce- Metaknight Style!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2-Sc1S8ms4

Note: I really wanted to link to that spammy video, but that one was nooby shiz. This one is better.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
my style is fluid. at the beginning of the match i play like ROY, cause my grabs rack damage nasty. than my style moves toward more like puffball, actually, watching him play is like watching a tighter version of myself. than if i start getting beat up i play like tenki, baitign them to move and punishing with simple moves, like dash attack.

but as for KingAce, i think ill be playing him in a tourney next month i will encourage everyone to come. hold on...

infomon

Smash Scientist
Except for Boxob. He should not come.

Also, Canada represent..... common northern US ppl come to this tourney.... I'ma try and make it..... even tho I'm like the worst of Ottawa which isn't exactly top of the regional charts :laugh: it'd be good if a good Sonic actually competes :)

R4ZE

Smash Ace
i think the main things that serperate sonic playstykles in general:
-some( alot of) people liek to "put on pressure game"
-some ppl dont know what up-b out of combos means
-some people only know spin dash
-some ppl only know fsmash and bair
-very few are defencive and bait ppl (not saying they are elite or anything, just few in number)
-some sonics learned how to grab
-some sonics only know the bair button
-seems like.. maybe 50% of sonics use spindshot
-some people done use HA at all.
-better smash players bait into charged smashes. which ***** with sonic btw.

all in all what it comes down to, is that we have all become comfortable with different aspects of sonic, but has anyone collectively mastered all aspects? im willing to wager no. because who uses all of these techniques regularly? even mr.3000 who is arguable "teh best sonic player yet" did not incorperate all of these into his game. of course then there is also the possibility that all of these things are not needed in sonic's game.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
I really don't check on the Sonic boards too often (generally because there is nothing new lol) but I'll add my input to this thread. Recently I did some 1v1's against Hella's Sonic and realized that the difference in play-styles really stood-out more than other characters. While playing against him I noticed that he seemed to focus more around one set style throughout the match. While I don't think there is anything wrong with that, it became pretty easy to read. Sonic doesn't exactly have the best move-pool, and after awhile opponents can really just adapt and punish him however they see fit. I believe it's the changing style that allows me to win some of the matches I do.

My overall approach with Sonic really depends on my opponents actions. Rather than having a "set" play-style I react to what he/she is doing. When being pressured I generally play defensive mind-games, while waiting for an opportunity to punish them/switch to offense. I throw out a large number of springboards, while Spin-canceling a lot which forces them to standing dodge (or they don't and I grab them ^^). Every now and then they will dodge at the wrong time/not shield and it allows me to follow up with the spin attack which allows me to start on offense. I usually save Ftilt for when I'm being pressured close range. It's a nice amount of percent and it helps get them off. If players approach me from the ground/close to the ground I'll typically spam it a bit more seeing as it's hard to punish. It's also nice when you mess up your grab spacing on the spin-cancel ^^. I'll throw out a fair share of dash attacks as well. Not so much for the actual damage, but it allows me to position myself where I want to be.

Once I move to a more offensive position I try to hit them as hard as I can for as long as I can. I generally start pressure with spot dodge ==> Dtilt ==> Fair/grab and so forth. When keeping pressure on them I Bair spam a good amount, while every now and then switching it up with some grabs. I like to chain Fair when I can, but I really only do it for after spin-dash attacks/down tilts. I guess I like the spacing on Bair way to much =P. When grabbing my opponent I typically try to tech-chase them with Dthrow (if it can even be called that lol). Sadly, if they can tech the first impact from Dthrow it's a bit harder to do anything with it, so at that point I'll just Uthrow them. Sonics second hit with Uair is god =D.

I honestly don't really homing attack as a ledge-guard much....unless I can tell my opponent really has no idea how gimped it can be. It's nice to throw in spindash => homing attack randomly during the match and it can be good for recovery sometimes too I guess. I handle most my ledge-guarding with Bairs/Fairs, as well as springboard pwnage. I don't use the spinshot hardly at all to be honest. There have only been a few times where I've found it to be useful for recovery. I guess there are times where I could be...but I always just find it to be less useful than other things in the given situation.

As for smash attacks I love using Fsmash while Stutter stepping it (or w/e it's called lol), the range is just retiredly good. I'll often spring board above them followed by a Dair and use it then. Fsmash is also really nice for people coming back onto the ledge. Dsmash>Fsmash after jab locking someone though =P. Oh yeah, throwing in a random running Usmash at them is nice to lol. If you don't use it much people typically won't be used to shielding multiple hits (other than your Fair).

Obviously this isn't exactly how I play all the time lol, but it's just an overlook of what I typically go for. I wish I had some videos up T_T, but sadly the only ones I have are from the release of Brawl rofl. Maybe I'll get around to getting some form of video recording again.

Top Bottom