• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Up-10.04 Matching Your Sonic Game to your opponent's play style

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
wow... just wow...

Anyways this is for my friend C-Note. He plays Ness and DK and Lucus mostly, but he has a hard time against my Sonic. He gets discoruaged sometimes, and I try to tell him what he can do to improve, but maybe if he heard it from you guys then he might get something out of it that I couldn't do. So if you don't mind, can you post your thoughts on what he should do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jTjnpb2t5k&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlHC_rov7YA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD0BkB3lXEY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUwZxcTTs2w&feature=related

Thx. Viva la Steak!

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Haha, ever since I startd playing the ICs more frequently, I've found them quite a bit more enjoyable to fight. I would say a passive aggressive style would perhaps work best against a campy ICs. Blizzard is a pain, but really, just get around it. HA perhaps? I can't quite remember.

If they'r campy, If you can't somehow mindgame or force an ASC or SDR, do it. I find them to be the more effective ways of separate Popo and Nana. Honestly, In my recent matches I've been focusing a lot more on just getting rid of Nana(or whoever is the AI IC at the moment, but lets just say nana for simplicity), and its work out pretty nicely. Sonic is one of the best chars to deal with two enemies at once, and well, ICs is just that, but with a mean chain grab XD. Once you separate them, nana is terribly easy to gimp. After that I'd say you have an advantage over popo, especially since he is easy to gimp as well.

But more specifically for this thread:

I think Air Type, Edge type and even grappler type(slightly) might come in handy. Grapper mostly cuz of bthrow(the movement of the throw might help u escape nana trying to attack you out of grabbing popo).

Although there are two chars to face at first, an air type helps you separate Nana and Popo, after which sonic can become quite disruptive. You will need this airtype to even approachthe ICs, as blizzard puts a quick end to most of your horizontal aproaches, if not all. Homing attack, ASCs and earials come in handy. You use awesomeness to get the one of the ICs of the stage, then proceed to mutate into an edge type. Punish that CPU IC like heck, by no means let it get back on stage. If you do, you must slap your face with stake.

As a note, I've found ICs UpB quite succeptible to stage spikes XD =P/

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
I can't really say what I fit into, I doubt I fit into a single category :/. Well, I don't have a main anymore (Sorry if anyone was expecting me to main Sonic). Also, ggs to Napilopez at AllisBrawl.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
wow... just wow...

Anyways this is for my friend C-Note. He plays Ness and DK and Lucus mostly, but he has a hard time against my Sonic. He gets discoruaged sometimes, and I try to tell him what he can do to improve, but maybe if he heard it from you guys then he might get something out of it that I couldn't do. So if you don't mind, can you post your thoughts on what he should do?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jTjnpb2t5k&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlHC_rov7YA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD0BkB3lXEY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUwZxcTTs2w&feature=related

Thx. Viva la Steak!
C's dk is all over the place, more tilts and less dairs. Initial impression, but I'm no DK expert. Hey this thread is supposed to be going on the opposite direction :(

I think Air Type, Edge type and even grappler type(slightly) might come in handy. Grapper mostly cuz of bthrow(the movement of the throw might help u escape nana trying to attack you out of grabbing popo).
You need to show me how you grab the ICs. Unless Im missing something it's pretty tough.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
I can't really say what I fit into, I doubt I fit into a single category :/. Well, I don't have a main anymore (Sorry if anyone was expecting me to main Sonic). Also, ggs to Napilopez at AllisBrawl.
NO good sonic mainer can be fitted into one category, they are usually two/three types at best. otherwise, you are too predicatble, right?

For fun, I'm going to look at vids of some of the notable Sonic palyers here (like, Tenki, Boxob, for example) and try to fit them into the type system over the next two of so weeks. Keep an eye out for that.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
JB, my sonic is punish/air/ground

i really don't have problems vs MK.

MK is 50/50 for me, i have more trouble vs ness.

playing defenceively and punishing, just ***** mk too hard.
-fsmash a lot against his approaches, it usually stops them if timed right
-up b if u ever suspect a shuttle loop coming
-stay out of his dsmash hitbox, its the easiest way for sonic to die in this matchup
-ASC can beat tornado, u just wanna be higher than mk when ASC hits.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I have an idea.

Characters with near-lagless aerial games and low-startup attacks ==> played via hit-and-run?

Characters that have slower aerials and longer-startup attacks ==> play more aggressively?

I played a Pit on wifi the other day, and aside from getting hit by like, 90% of the arrows and failing to shield over half his smashes, I did notice that if I tried to run up and grab, even after something like dash attack/d-tilt, he was already able to attack back, even without lag to factor in.

Boxob

Smash Champion
NO good sonic mainer can be fitted into one category, they are usually two/three types at best. otherwise, you are too predicatble, right?

For fun, I'm going to look at vids of some of the notable Sonic palyers here (like, Tenki, Boxob, for example) and try to fit them into the type system over the next two of so weeks. Keep an eye out for that.
Don't look at my videos, they're all crap except for the recent kirby ones, but he only uploaded the ones where I wasn't playing as well, all the other matches were two out of two stock.

:093:

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
Don't look at my videos, they're all crap except for the recent kirby ones, but he only uploaded the ones where I wasn't playing as well, all the other matches were two out of two stock.

Its okay, im not determining if you are good or bad, just your playstyle. that's it. You can let me know what vids you want me to see, but it would be more fair to me if I saw matches on your good and bad days to more accurately determine your "type" Besides, i'll try not to count matches from like, March, or May or whatever.

Boxob

Smash Champion
Its okay, im not determining if you are good or bad, just your playstyle. that's it. You can let me know what vids you want me to see, but it would be more fair to me if I saw matches on your good and bad days to more accurately determine your "type" Besides, i'll try not to count matches from like, March, or May or whatever.
Well that's what I mean, they're all like 4-5 months old, near the release of the game. D:

Except the SonicLucario Match, and the Kirby ones.

Do you play Wifi? I could play you there.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
Well that's what I mean, they're all like 4-5 months old, near the release of the game. D:

Except the SonicLucario Match, and the Kirby ones.

Do you play Wifi? I could play you there.

Sure. But I dunno if I can at my student housing. It's kinda gay. lemme check and get back to you.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
stop playing scrubs them R4ZE
oh you mena like -rx? and fearless? the scrubs who regularly place top 5 in all the local tournaments who have noteable players such as mew2king and afrothundah? ya... i'll try to find some better mk players dude. no problem.

I have an idea.

Characters with near-lagless aerial games and low-startup attacks ==> played via hit-and-run?

Characters that have slower aerials and longer-startup attacks ==> play more aggressively?

I played a Pit on wifi the other day, and aside from getting hit by like, 90% of the arrows and failing to shield over half his smashes, I did notice that if I tried to run up and grab, even after something like dash attack/d-tilt, he was already able to attack back, even without lag to factor in.

in a roundabout way, thats the point i was trying to get accross.

i think my posts r too long for people to read...
anyway, I'm R4ZE, and i approve this message.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Boxob.

Because he works with steak.

but arguably, I work with steak as well. But only the philly cheesesteak kind.

Umby

Smash Master
Let's talk about shutting down aerial games. For example, I notice I have an easier time dealing with Peach if I start predicting her SHs and Fair / Nair to knock her back down. In the moveset discussion thread, I noticed that someone recommended hyphen smash to catch MK as he short hops. Should this be one of our main focuses when dealing with such characters?

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
I think it varies on the character, but A hyphen Smash on the lag of aerials is a great oprion if you are quick in terms of recognizing moves. I sometimes catch peaches who float often ( which is all of them) by jumping and aiming a dair, above he hitboax of a potential Fair attempt, as her dair wil most likely destroy me. not something I rely on mind you, but i will work from time to time. Most characters with awesome bairs will do them often enough for you to practice the timeing for Hyphen Smash, or at least see the need to learn it that way.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
f-air, side b, up smash and spring can all help
remember when we were talking about dash attack to spring and they land on spring and rise into up air,
if you expect them to land near you just spring, it has invincibility, so they will rise into one of your moves, I do it to lucario and its great

Catt

Smash Apprentice
I'm a rather diverse Sonic, I'm an adaptable/ variable player, I guess. I used to main Mewtwo so I had to learn to adapt to my enemy. Anyway my Sonic is primarily a high pressure/ aggressive Edge/Combo/Air style that switches to a Grapple/Combo on the fly. I use anything really, accept Camping or Punish, they don't fit my Sonic playstyle, but they fit my Sheik.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I'm a rather diverse Sonic, I'm an adaptable/ variable player, I guess. I used to main Mewtwo so I had to learn to adapt to my enemy. Anyway my Sonic is primarily a high pressure/ aggressive Edge/Combo/Air style that switches to a Grapple/Combo on the fly. I use anything really, accept Camping or Punish, they don't fit my Sonic playstyle, but they fit my Sheik.
That's not what this thread is about.

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Jonbe(Rob) 1
Jonbe(Rob) 2

I've been told I should probably try tilts more and mix up my recovery a little more (three interrupted home attacks as he chases me off stage) than what I'm currently doing. I think I had some nice moves, but I also was a little too aggressive. This isn't your typical spam R.O.B. and he did a decent job of not letting me get a solid grab/pummel game going (which tends to hurt me when I can't). I tried to not abuse the spin specials too much and I missed a decent combo opportunity early in the second match.

Feedback please :) and I encourage you to face this guy: JonbeBonanza He plays shiek and R.O.B but would probably rather play you as Falco and R.O.B. but he likes to play as a lot of characters. If someone will play his R.O.B. and show me what you got against him that would be cool.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
I do believe that you need to be able to shift styles as the match goes, or depending on character. I for one start of almost always Grapple/Ground, then as the match goes on, my Air Style comes into play, and my Edge/Punish style is dependent on the person I'm playing.
------------------
Jonbe(Rob) 1
Jonbe(Rob) 2

I've been told I should probably try tilts more and mix up my recovery a little more (three interrupted home attacks as he chases me off stage) than what I'm currently doing. I think I had some nice moves, but I also was a little too aggressive. This isn't your typical spam R.O.B. and he did a decent job of not letting me get a solid grab/pummel game going (which tends to hurt me when I can't). I tried to not abuse the spin specials too much and I missed a decent combo opportunity early in the second match.

Feedback please :) and I encourage you to face this guy: JonbeBonanza

From what I can tell: you just need some tweeks in your offense and your ability to bait cerain actions.

1:50 (first match) You should have continued the fair with either a falling Nair, or just springed away. if you are more worried about his fair, then just spring afterwards, the spring may open up an extention to this, but either way, you are relatively safe, as with this you are faster in the air then ROB.

-Punish with Hyphen Smash more. If you do a good job or baiting a missed aerial, or he anticipates with an aerial wrong, Up Smash to the face. That requires you to be more confident in tagging his lag though.

- You'd do good to pratice DDP (Dash Daance Pivot) if you haven't already. because it increases the ability to bait. That and it should help with your grab game, as he seems to roll more than spot dodge. use it to test his tendancy, then mindgame for it. Then once he tries to spot dadge them, Hypehen Smash instead. nothing wrong with faking a grab attempt too.

-Use Spring more. It was like he was waiting for u to jump at him, and he seemed to get your falling speed down well, so it would throw it off some. Mix your desent with Dair or just fall away, but Never dair on a good Rob when he's waiting for u on the ground. that's death, my freind.

- try empty jumping every once in a while, in hopes of baiting a missed ROB Aerial.

Top Bottom