• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Opinions (BE CIVIL)

Quillion

Smash Hero
Might as well post these again here:
  • I dislike the overcomplicated mechanics and/or mishmashed animations of the Smash 4-on characters' movesets.
  • The core mechanics of the Smash series are as stale as Pokémon and New Super Mario Bros. now.
  • While I don't want them to be ground-up revamped, playing as the 64-Brawl characters contributes to the series's staleness since have largely the same movesets for years.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Might as well post these again here:
  • I dislike the overcomplicated mechanics and/or mishmashed animations of the Smash 4-on characters' movesets.
  • The core mechanics of the Smash series are as stale as Pokémon and New Super Mario Bros. now.
  • While I don't want them to be ground-up revamped, playing as the 64-Brawl characters contributes to the series's staleness since have largely the same movesets for years.
So, you dislike "complex" characters, but you also want the old ones to get changed? I'm... confused at this

Quillion

Smash Hero
So, you dislike "complex" characters, but you also want the old ones to get changed? I'm... confused at this
Honestly if any character should be ground-up revamped, they need to be the Smash 4-on newcomers so that they more closely match the design (mechanics and animations both) of the 64/Melee newcomers.

I probably wouldn't mind seeing a few moves changed on the 64/Melee newcomers here and there as opposed to a ground-up revamp... as long as they still keep to the 64/Melee standard of moveset design.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Melee is unbalanced and way overrated. Marth's grab range is longer than Yoshi's. Saying Smash hasn't topped its second installment is a big claim, because it says to me that the games have been buggier/more unbalanced than Melee.
The reason why people default to Melee isn't the "bugginess or unbalance". If players wanted that, Brawl would be a perfectly fine substitute for having its own set of bugs and being even MORE unbalanced.

It's really a combination of alot of things that people play Melee for that the newer Smash games don't have.
One being combo freedom. You don't really have much choice but to follow extremely specific combos in newer Smash games, hence phrases like "Throw to aerial" being memed on in games like 4.
Melee allows plenty of characters to combo into and off of Smash attacks, giving them far more utility. In Ultimate, Smash attacks are just extremely niche and situational kill options. You only ever see them used more often in high level by characters that have the restriction/previlege of a specific combo like Fox Nair to USmash, King K. Rool DThrow to Smash Attack, Donkey Kong Side Special to Smash Attack, etc. That's just one example of the kind of thing Melee has that newer Smash games don't.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think I kinda get his overall idea, the older veterans have mostly movesets that where thought appropriate at the time, but the newer ones have both extremely overly complex movesets and also draw a lot from their source material.

If we let the veterans draw more from their source material, without being overly complex and gimmicky, that would be my vote too for a new approach.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I think I kinda get his overall idea, the older veterans have mostly movesets that where thought appropriate at the time, but the newer ones have both extremely overly complex movesets and also draw a lot from their source material.

If we let the veterans draw more from their source material, without being overly complex and gimmicky, that would be my vote too for a new approach.
Pretty much this. For example, I would give Peach a fiery aura on Up Smash, a whirlwind cosmetic on neutral air, and have her cry and throw a brief tantrum for down air while retaining her "flutter kick". These would reference the Vibes from Super Princess Peach while retaining her moveset's simplicity and avoiding turning the vibes into some kind of Monado Arts mechanic for her.

Laniv

Smash Champion
KOF Stadium is aesthetically the best DLC stage in the game, with Hollow Bastion as a close second.

With the way Sonic's moveset currently is, it's actually a good thing Shadow isn't an Echo.

Nabbit is a massively slept-on character choice.

I wouldn't mind Ganondorf getting cut and replaced with Big Blue Pig Ganon.

Baysha

Smash Ace
Everyone is here wasn't that impressive to me. It basically just kinda felt like: "There are no cuts. Also Snake, Ice Climbers, Pichu, and Young Link are back." It didn't feel like a big reunion, it felt like 4 guys were back.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And Pokemon Trainer himself, but moreso Squirtle and Ivysaur, since these two are the literal fighters.

Besides that, we had no idea if all the third parties would come back as well as some 1st parties, after seeing multiple cuts through Smash history. So it was still a surprise. Either way, we got 7 veterans back, not 4.

I mean, it was presented pretty clearly as a big reunion, but I get what you mean. We didn't have that many cuts by that point, so it was a small returning few. If we had a lot more cuts by then, it'd have a bigger impact.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Both versions of Sm4sh should’ve been called “Super Smash Bros. Duel”, since the 3DS and Wii U both use two (dual) screens.

They also should’ve released both games on the same date.
AHHHH MY GOD YOU'RE RIGHT. It even works with the "fight" synonym thing they had going with Melee and Brawl. I'm upset now that they didn't do this.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I feel Ridley was forced in in Ultimate l, sort of to "proof" Sakurai listens to his fans. Ridley is very awkward looking and proportioned in Ultimate, and some moves feel extremely and surprisingly generic. There's no shame in making him the largest character on the roster, and now he's smaller than freaking Donkey Kong, and it's really really weird.

UserKev

Smash Champion
The only good Smash trailer ever was the Smash 64 Happy Together ad, and I'm not even saying that ironically - it didn't oversell itself or its characters; it knew how stupid the game is; and relished in how innacurate it is to the source material.
I love the simplicity of older Smashes. To me, Smash 64 will always have the best commercial and Melee's intro will never be matched. I guess the game's smaller roster back then helped. Now its nearly impossible.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I love the simplicity of older Smashes. To me, Smash 64 will always have the best commercial and Melee's intro will never be matched. I guess the game's smaller roster back then helped. Now its nearly impossible.
I agree about Melee's intro.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Pac-Man should've had little hats for his alts like Pikachu and Jigglypuff.
I personally would’ve taken something like this
  1. Default
  2. Blinky (red with orange gloves and shoes)
  3. Inky (cyan with green gloves and shoes)
  4. Pinky (pink with pink gloves and shoes)
  5. Clyde (orange with red gloves and shoes)
  6. TURN-TO-BLUE A (blue/white)
  7. TURN-TO-BLUE B (white/red)
  8. Heihachi wig (black)

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Traditional fighting game inputs where you have to input a combination of buttons are more easy than Smash's tilt/smash attack system. Dedicated light and strong buttons are way better.
I agree to an extent. I feel like most motion inputs from traditional fighting games like the hadouken or shoryuken can be just as easy to master as the tilt/smash system but it depends on the controller.

Inputs in 2D fighting games, if they have these kinds of inputs, that are literally just “punch, punch, heavy kick…” or something so that they’re basically combos are more complicated though. Definitely agree that light and heavy attacks are better tho.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Traditional fighting game inputs where you have to input a combination of buttons are easier than Smash's tilt/smash attack system. Dedicated light and strong buttons are way better.
Agreed. Multiple attack buttons is genuinely a great thing for the genre and it frustrates me that Smash hasn't adopted it yet when other platfighters like NASB and Rivals of Aether have. It doesn't even make the game harder, it just means different attacks are on different buttons and not all crammed onto the same one (aside from specials).

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
A Smash with a heavy emphasis on villain representation would be terrible. Villains should stay the minority and barely noticeable.
I mean…at the very least, more villains should be welcome. Dr. Eggman feels like the missing villain, especially after Sephiroth.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I mean…at the very least, more villains should be welcome. Dr. Eggman feels like the missing villain, especially after Sephiroth.
They don't need to be crammed in one roster. 2 or 3 villains per Smash is my ideal.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Smash should have held off on the ARMS and Xenoblade 2 content until Min Min and Pyra/Mythra's DLC, respectively, to get a better immersion of the games and to avoid sloppiness (especially in regards to the Spirits).
Agreed. I at least think Pyra/Mythra should’ve been in Vol. 1.

To give you guys a better idea, here’s my fantasy Fighters Passes:

Vol. 1:
  1. Sakura Shinguji
  2. Hero
  3. Crash Bandicoot
  4. Pyra/Mythra
  5. Terry
  6. Banjo & Kazooie

Vol. 2
  1. Min Min
  2. Steve
  3. Sephiroth
  4. Kazuya
  5. Dr. Eggman
  6. Sora

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
there should be an option to turn off certain characters from ATs
I'll do you one better - there should be an option to disable characters from the character select screen in a ruleset. It'd be great for themed play; casual players who can't work around another player's spam; and for people who dislike certain characters.

Demon Dragon

Smash Apprentice
I'll do you one better - there should be an option to disable characters from the character select screen in a ruleset. It'd be great for themed play; casual players who can't work around another player's spam; and for people who dislike certain characters.
Brawl and Smash 4 tourneys would've killed for this to not deal with Meta Knight and Bayo players, respectively.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
They should of added Virtual Boy as the final fighter of the 1st fighter pass as a sort of joke reveal before reveling they are making a new fighters pass, its rights itself

Top Bottom