• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Unpopular Smash Opinions (BE CIVIL)

UserKev

Smash Champion
You can hate on Toon Link, but Young Link has been in lesser games and is less deserving of returning post Ultimate than Toon Link.

Laniv

Smash Champion
They should've given Ness' new up-air to Lucas, while Ness should've kept the headbutt.

UserKev

Smash Champion
even if it was say, wolf, deku, goron, zora, bunny, totem, fierce diety etc
All of what you listed would be greater variety for Zelda and iconic enough to the I.P. Zelda is treated like a joke if your just throwing in more Links.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Melee should’ve had more dev time so that
  • Wario and Diddy Kong could join the battle
  • Scizor could get in instead of Pichu
  • Ayumi Tachibana could get in instead of Dr. Mario
Honestly there are WAY more things that'd need to be fixed about Melee before an extra character should even be considered in a delay, let alone multiple. Fixing stuff like the invisible ceilings; Kirby's throws; G&W's shield; Marth's grab; the CPUs; Bowser as a whole; so on. I'd say Brawl could've done with an extra delay more, but all that game's flaws were part of the GDD so... 🤷‍♂️

Ultimate definitely could've done with more non-character changes during DLC. The 6 frames of input lag staying for the last patch is inexcusable.

Last edited:

Baysha

Smash Ace
Pichu is my favorite Pokemon Smash character and Scizor would just blend in with all the other Pokemon IMO.

Also, if a character "misses the boat" then they should still have a chance to get in later. I want somewhat recent has-beens.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Gardevoir would easily be the least interesting of its line in Smash. It just has a regular human body with a weird dress-like membrane(?), so there isn't much to distinguish it from a Zelda or Peach in terms of non-special moves. Kirilia; Gallade; and Ralts on the other hand could all some crazy moves with their twirling tutu-like shape; razor hands; and psychic-powered clumsiness respectively.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I think having connections to Nintendo is the worst possible reason for a 3rd party to get in. I want my Microsoft rep to represent what Microsoft has brought to gaming and represents as a brand, not just the only Microsoft IPs you can sell to a Nintendo console's ownerbase.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Gardevoir would easily be the least interesting of its line in Smash. It just has a regular human body with a weird dress-like membrane(?), so there isn't much to distinguish it from a Zelda or Peach in terms of non-special moves. Kirilia; Gallade; and Ralts on the other hand could all some crazy moves with their twirling tutu-like shape; razor hands; and psychic-powered clumsiness respectively.
Gardevoir as a pick come off as some essential weird niche to me. Never exactly understood the pick. The Pokemon in general is more bland and forgettable. You'd even do better with Jinx as a Smash pick.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Byleth should get a moveset overhaul and be based fully around the Sword of the Creator, magic and brawling.

It then wouldn't hurt to have Dimitri as a newcomer using many of the Areadbhar moves Byleth had.

SomeSamiFan

Smash Rookie
The only good Smash trailer ever was the Smash 64 Happy Together ad, and I'm not even saying that ironically - it didn't oversell itself or its characters; it knew how stupid the game is; and relished in how innacurate it is to the source material.
That was the ad that introduced me to one of my favorite songs. I honestly agree- the game is quite silly and fun!

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
"Too many anime swordfighters" is a 100% valid complaint - this is an all-encompasing crossover that aims to appeal to as many people as possible regardless of gaming tastes or age, they should absolutely try to diversify their fighter offerings as much as possible and try to consider how there may not be much overlap between say - JRPG fans and Scrimblo Bimblo fans - especially considering the scummy grab-bag DLC practices they went with...

that being said, "too many grassy plains stages" is a much more pressing issue.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Ngl, EB is more deserving of one more rep than Kirby getting a new rep. Porky is the pinnacle between EB AND M3. And deserves to be on the roster. Lucas should have been in the same boat as Ayumi Tachibana. And honestly, even if Ness and Lucas were suddenly dropped for Porky, it'd still be well executed as Mother having one rep that is a villain would be unique, creative and something we haven't seen before. On top of it, Ness isn't even enjoyable to play as anymore. And just feel like a plain dated character.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Ngl, EB is more deserving of one more rep than Kirby getting a new rep. Porky is the pinnacle between EB AND M3. And deserves to be on the roster. Lucas should have been in the same boat as Ayumi Tachibana. And honestly, even if Ness and Lucas were suddenly dropped for Porky, it'd still be well executed as Mother having one rep that is a villain would be unique, creative and something we haven't seen before. On top of it, Ness isn't even enjoyable to play as anymore. And just feel like a plain dated character.
I really dislike the idea of Porky in Smash, the character holds way too much thematic baggage for a silly platform fighter. This goes for virtually every Mother villain except maybe Fasaad. I'd much rather a non-PSI using protagonist like Lloyd or Duster come next.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
a move set based on the wario land 2, 3 & 4 transformations would have been way better than bike and farting

UserKev

Smash Champion
Birdo doesn't get the recognition she deserves. When discussing Mario newcomers, Birdo by far is iconic and has impressive staying power. I think between Waluigi and Toad, Birdo would be the most genuine pick that we love about Smash. She'd even get away distinguishing her self from Yoshi, Birdo being an older character anyway.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Birdo doesn't get the recognition she deserves. When discussing Mario newcomers, Birdo by far is iconic and has impressive staying power. I think between Waluigi and Toad, Birdo would be the most genuine pick that we love about Smash. She'd even get away distinguishing her self from Yoshi, Birdo being an older character anyway.
I'd personally prefer Mouser, but I'd 100% be cool with Birdo - being able to stand on your own projectile sounds like a really fun mechanic.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Character teasers need to make a comeback. Like in Smash 64, foreshadows of Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Ness and Luigi are revealed at the end of its intro. I miss anticipation and how well they amped you up. They'd also work great as anti leaks that'd make otherwise leaks pointless.

Top Bottom